Gastroenterology Community
Intense stomach pain - anything I can take??

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have had this intense pain right in the center of my body, from right below my ribs to my belly button.  It's been almost a week.  It's a very intense, burning pain, that goes straight through to my back.  Feelling of fullness and some shortness of breath.  I go to see my PCP on Monday and I have an endo scheduled for the 15th.  Is there anything I can take in the meantime for the pain?  It's pretty intense.  Feels like the worst kind of stomach ache ever.  My history:  GERD, hiatal hernia and gallbladder removal in 2002.  The doc on the other gastro post suggested that I am suffering from dyspeptic symptoms and to be sure that I am checked for H Pylori during my endo.  How long can this kind of pain last?  It really  has me worried!!!

Thanks CalGal for your post to my last question!
There's nothing OTC that I know of. But if you can get your doc to prescribe some Bentyl, or another anti-spasm med, it might help IF this is related to your GB. At the same time, ask him to 'humor you' and give you a script to go to a lab and get liver enzyme levels and pancreatic enzyme level checked.
My thoughts:
1. Something from GERD: ulcus or heavy inflammation somewhere: esophagus or stomach
2. Even with removed GB, stones can appear in the duct which connects liver and duodenum.
I ended up going to the ED last night, mainly just for pain relief.  They did check my liver/pancreas levels, everything's ok.  My white blood counts were fine too.  They gave me Nexium and Zofran via IV and a "cocktail" that numbed my insides.  They seem to think that I may have gastritis or an ulcer.  I also got scripts for Sulcrafate (sp?), something that I can take that coats my stomach and also Phenergan for the pain.

I got my endoscopy moved up to the 10th, instead of waiting to the 15th.
MTV, please make sure they really checked your liver and pancreatic enzyme levels. I've seen it happen that they say they did, but didn't - just doing the usual tests which don't include those, unfortuantely.

I do hope it's GERD or other related problem. It would be a lot easier to handle. Please let us know how the endoscopy goes. I'll be away for a week, back after the 14th.
Is the intense pain like hunger at all?? I have intense hunger pain right below my ribs, goes through to my back i have gerd and a hiatal hernia too.
I am going to call the ED today, to make sure they fax all of my bloodwork and ED report to my gastro, prior to my scope next week.  Just to make sure.

The doctor was pressing and feeling and where I said I had pain, he did state that he was concerned for my liver/pancreas, and he asked if I had had those checked lately.  I told him no.  He specifically ordered blood tests for those two organs.  My first trip to the ED, they did not check that...only looking at my WBC and urine for infection.

Sounds like you are going on a trip...have fun.  I'll let you know my results.
Well...I have intense pain both when I eat and when I am hungry and my stomach is growling.  Prior to this pain starting, when I would get hungry, the pain would be pretty intense.  I guess it is that way for people like us, with multiple GI issues.  I have learned never to wait to eat, and to eat frequent, small meals throughout the day, never 3 big meals.  
Thank you for responding its nice to talk to people who understand your pain, sometimes i think my family is tired of hearing about my stomach problems, they always say, you just need to eat more. (yeh right)      
Keep us posted!! I hope you feel better very soon.
Unfortunately, for some of us, we have to "deal" with these issues the rest of our lives.  Believe me...there have been plenty of times like I felt that I was going crazy or that doctors just felt that it was in my head.  It's not in your head..it's very real.

Have you had an upper endoscopy lately???
yes, one last year and one the year before. The one last year was given to me after my new syptom (symptom) of intense hunger pain. All they found besides my hiatal hernia was a trace of h-pylori- they treated that with anti-biotics, I sill had syptoms (symptoms) so the dr sent me for an ultra sound, everything was fine with that. Next step for me besides going crazy is blood work-they had done blood wk before but this time they will check thyroid. I am currently taking nexium twice a day....It really starts to effect my quality of life.  
Thank You---