Large Intestine Removal
Has anyone ever had their entire large intestine removed? Doctors are planning to remove mine, and rehook the end of the small intestine to the rectum. I suffer from colonic inertia. Whats life like without a large intestine? Will I lose a lot of weight, will I have to change my diet around? Any details would be helpful. So far I know that I'll be going to the bathroom a lot.

And for curiosity, I'm 18 -- so I'm quite young.
Hi just to add to my previous query, do most people gain alot of weight after a total colon resection?
I had my colon removed 3 years ago after the initial surgery I had a temporary bag which was reversed 3 month s after surgery.  Whilst I had the bag i had to watch everything I ate after it was reversed I eat everything I want.  I am having issues with weight gain and not sure why.  Yes you will need to go to the bathroom a lot more than before but for me that is great as I could not go for weeks so I am better off.  Good luck with everything
My story,30yrs old in dec 1995,passing blood and passing out,been passing blood for 2-3 yrs..(ended up divorced cause i spent time at the drs office cause the ex thought i was having an affair)....no other symptoms..went to my gp and he did an occult blood test cause he thought i was exaggerating my symptoms.he set me up with another dr to get a colonoscopy done..this was the last time i saw him..after this colonoscopy,the dr found that i had fap and he told me i was going to have to have my entire l.intestine removed...he goes on to ask me why the hell i hadnt ever went to the dr!i asked why?he said he been practicing med for close to 40 years and had never seen anybody this bad!i had polyps sitting on top of polyps which were on top of polyps..well we scheduled surgery..now he never performed this b4 BUT he went to uab in birmingham and saw it done a few times..went home,..after a week or so..after a few things happen i knew about at the hospital where it was to take place...i decided to go back home to pennsylvania..i called my ex to find me a gastro specialist..the original dr was upset he wouldnt get to play guiena pig on me..i went home to my parents,ex and two kids..i went to the gastro specialist..he ended up doing the same colonoscopy again cause he didnt recieve the paperwork from the dr in bama.he saw what mess i was in..well he sent me to see one of the chief professors of gastro down at upmc in pittsburg ..dr wolfgang shraut..he was nice..he gave me the run down..he ended up removing all of my intestine,all of my rectum..for exception of the sphincter muscle for bowel control..kept cutting on small intestine until he got enough clear looking organ and then made a rectum from a portion at the end and using a piece of rubber..connected me back up.i ended up with a colostomy bag..to which i ended up being allergic to silicone paste and wafers and i blistered out.got the bag removed july 3,96 so independence day brings a completely new meaning to me!:)i waited one month,went back to my gm dr who i saw the last time in dec 95..i had already scheduled an appt to see him so he would release me to go back to work cause i had a hell of alot of medical bills my insurance refused to cover.i ended up defying dr schrauts orders by waiting at least one year before i went back to work.well,u know how the nurse will take u to an exam room and then when the dr gets caught up..he shows up?!well,this has been the one and only time that i was taken to an exam room and the dr was in there waiting for me!well, he was as white as his coat and just nodded his head and apologized to me..i told it was ok and that i understood because i had no symptoms but passing blood but because they were actual clots thats why the occult blood test didnt work..he then told me that in actuality i was dying and he failed to listen to me but he promised that if i even came down with a sniffle..into the hospital i go..which he did...now,since then..and this is why its so important..in 2003,i was found to have a goiter by my pulumonologist..i had ultrasound and needle biop done once a year..that dr wasnt going to do anything cause it was round...this,too,was in 2003 ..time went on..same thing..its just there..no changes ..dec 2009...my voice would go in and out..the goiter never changed shape nor size..i was feeling really bad...i went to the dr who bought out the dr who let go back to work on august 18,1996 after the resection..i told him i wanted a t3.t4 and tsh levels checked..no messing around!thanks to the invention of the comp and internet..anybody can do research and with process of elimination can just about pinpoint the root of any issue..not that u dont need drs cause u still need to go have periodic dr visits..well,got the blood test back,...he wanted to see me so i called hubby and we went to see him together...the results he said which was an issue was that i had mono!..i said mono!i looked at him and told him he was full of ****!i walked out from there and didnt go back...i told hubby to get me a list of endo drs in ttown..he gave me a list of names and i picked one out..i told him to make me an appt...now this is some info for those of u who have FAP.. u have a 60-70% increase just with that trait,which has absolutely nothing to do with outside influences such as diet!its completely genetic!
What a roller coaster ride you have been on.  I am sorry that you had to go through all of that and at such young age.  At 40 years of age I started having colonoscopies because my father had a colectomy done due to colon CA at 71 (he is now 96) and was found to have hundreds of polyps.  I am 63 with a mutation of the FAP gene that has not been identified yet.  This was found out in the summer of last year after I had a perforated colon when a polyp was removed and had 4 inches of my colon removed emergently.  My surgeon who I absolutely love pushed me to have genetic counseling and insisted that my children get checked ASAP for colonic polyps.  My daughter at 33 had it first and had over 50 very tiny polyps removed and needs to have another one next month to hopefully remove the rest of them. My son at age 29 had his colonoscopy and had 4 removed  and my oldest son at 35 has a colonoscopy and had no polyps.  I was told that I need to have my colon removed and have my rectum attached to my small bowel which I am going to do. Originally it was to be in May or June of this year but I have decided to push it off until January since I am not sure how I will react to the surgery and how long it will take my body to adjust.  My daughter will need to have the surgery too but most likely at an earlier age than me.  I as well as my children have been very fortunate to live in a city that can offer so much. Having this surgery on an elective basis can be done laproscopically as compared to my first surgery which has left me with a 6-7" scar but at my age, wearing bikinis is not an option. I urge anyone that can remotely have FAP or any mutations of it to get to a physician and listen to your instincts.  Its not fun going through the surgery but it beats the alternative.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that your life becomes easier.
Hi. I am sitting here crying as this is the most positive thing I have read so far.
My Dr says I am running out of options so surgery is looming in the not too distant future..I am very scared.
Thank you for the advice and positive comments
My daughter had her large intestine removed last year in the Summer of 2011.  She had an ostomy bag ( which she dealt with very well) for about 2 months.  She was eleven when she had all three surgeries.  Since her takedown she initially had to be admitted back into the hospital due to scar tissue which caused a blockage--very scary.  She was better within a week and since has been doing really well.  I need to add that she did have a Prolaspe Pouch but her surgeon did not seem to be too concerned about this and it happened only one time since.  She goes to the bathroom about five times a day and it's just become part of her life.  She is playing soccer again and enjoying school.  She is such a smart little girl and I know someday this happened for a reason and she is going to do something great with what she has experienced.  
im Very sorry To hear that about your grandchild. and i really hope the child is okay. im on this site because my son had his entire large bowel removed and half  of his small intestine. I also am looking for a transplant for my son please god. How i came accross this site i typed into the computer  can i give my son my large intestine. my son is now 2 he has a stoma. i feel for you and the child i honestly do. I dont mean to be bleak but bowel transplant is very tricky and infections can happen that is why i am wondering can my son have mine since i am his father. you are right they are lucky to have some small or large intestine at all. two and a half years ago i myself was diagnosed with M S i have the mildest form thank god but when i first found out i was miserable tought i was finished then my son was born with a problem he had surgery at 3 weeks old. all my problems went out the window watching him i forgot i had anything at all. Its weird i think i convinced myself to stay strong for him. may your grandchild have the very best of luck i him or her the best. my son is lucky to even have half a small intestine. take care may there be something around the corner.
I had mine removed in 2002 due to slow transit caused by nerve damage in my spine. I actually felt much better after the surgery. I live in rural area and we drove to the big university hospital instead of having it done at our local hospital. I am very thankful that I did because a few years ago I had a bowel obstruction (no more bagels for me) and the surgeon not only wanted to operate but to give me a colostomy. I don't have one now. I have a straight line from stomach to small bowel. We had a yelling match in my hospital room because I wouldn't let him do the surgery. I've had a couple of bowel obstructions since, and with an ng tube and a couple of days they resolve themselves. I was 32 and a newlywed when I had my bowel removed. My system swings back and forth. I go 3 or 4 times a day, then not for 2 days. I just chew really, really well and watch what I eat. I do have to really watch to make sure I get enough fluids. I walk marathons and get deyhdrated really easily. Overall, I'm glad I had the surgery but would advise shopping around for a good doctor. My quality of life is better now than it was before.
Oh, I had a major open procedure. Bikini line incision that went more than half way around my body and a verticle almost to my sternum. I'm prone to hernias, but really no huge or terrible effects from it. It's major surgery, but after the 3rd day you'll feel much better. I'd had over 12 major abdominal surgeries prior to this one, and it really wasn't any worse than when I had my gallbladder out.
Hello I'm trying to make a decission to have my entire colon removed because of Diverticalitcs. So did you have surgery? If you did how are feeling? My wife and I are sad but she says I should go ahead and have the surgery. Also I'm scared I'm 45 overwieght and diabetic (type2) any suggestions? My name is Shannon
This is my story which sounds similiar to yours.. did you end up having the surgery??

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Undiagnosed-Symptoms/Undiagnosed-Digestive-Issues/show/1739309?personal_page_id=2196886
I have a personal question...

For those of you who have had your large intestine removed and replaced with a j pouch (small intestine hooked up to your rectum).. I understand that it takes some time to get use to going to the bathroom ALOT.. any stories of how bad this is and how long it took to get use to or your body to adjust. Also I have a fear.. its a weird one but its life.... did anyone have accidents during things like sex???
It was very refreshing to read your post. I had my colon removed in 2006, lost about 50 pounds initially. And it seemed like I awoke one morning and it was all back, I have also had to have my gallbladder removed last year. And I think I am dancing with menopause. So at 50 I am heavier than I have ever been. My diet too like your is pretty restrictive. And yes the inability to eat chocolate breaks my heart too. I don't seems to know what to eat anymore. But I do know that anything from the ground is the worst. I have a difficult time with mushrooms, potatoes, carrots. Lettuce even spinach and other leafy greens are also troublesome, I find that cabbage is about the best thing next to white rice. But like I said I don't even know what to eat. I have packed on about 10 pounds recently and am not sure what I am doing differently that I have been. I don't eat bread because of the carbs. I have given up baked goodies because of the sugar and the turmoil it puts my body into. Pop is a thing of the past. I do eat a lot of fresh fruit but I just cant imagine that has me tipping the scales. I don't use the fiber any longer or any medications. And I drink about 120oz of water a day. If there is anyone out there who reads this and can point me in a direction to weight loss. Or please tell me what I am doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
my grandson the same as you the probkem is he used to have colon bag till he was 9 months old all of his lower intentine are gone he has small colon d pulled it down to his rectum he told me he has trouble feeling when he has to go to the bathroom he now 4 half years old smart kid talks well but learning little bit behind did u have trouble knowing when u had to go bathroom ? he goes allot !! he is very bashful about wearing pull ups now the stupid drs are telling her to potty train him he confused.I like to know how you cope growing up thanks looking forward to hearing from you JoannaW
if u lose weight dr recommened my grandson eat high carb diet he gaining some days he will not eat other days he eats tons. just giving u what i learned from my daughter
did u lose lots of weight as a child? my grandson did doctor told daughter to have him eat high carb diet. he poops allot he having trouble figure out when he has to go because he said he can not feel it when it just comes out all of his lower intentine are removed as a baby he only has intestine .I worry about how will he cope gong to school with this problem he now 4 half how did u cope in school? JoannaW
Can anyone tell me how they managed work with the side effects of the surgery?  I think i am facing the surgery very soon.  I was diagnosed with Crohn's from my esophagus to my rectum 21 years ago.  I was told that it is very rare to have Crohn's outside of the large intestine.  Over the last year, my condition has taken a major turn for the worst and medication isn't working.  I "go" very frequently now before the surgery and from what I have read, I face the same frequencies after the surgery.  With my work, I am on the road a lot and I never know when I can leave home (the bathroom).  It has gotten so bad that I finally took a medical leave.  I scares me to know that the reason I had to take off from work will not be corrected after the surgery.  
Use disposable wet wipes, Warm bath water helps with the pain. Oxicodon helps . Avoid chocolate.
Just an update..

I got into the Mayo Clinic in MN and finally am getting answers. I had a slow transit study that was a 48 hour one as well as an EKG more blood work and a colonic manometry test.  I have a very long, verry loopy slow transit colon. My pacemaker cells in my right side of my colon are dead or dieing off and it is causing me to back up all the way to my small intestine. IBS and SIBO are no longer even diagnosed for me as the symptoms of those happen in patients who have slow transit etc.  I was on Resolor for one month and that did not work. I am now setting up my surgery! The surgery I will be having is called laparoscopic colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis and I will not need a colostomy bag. My surgery will also take place at Mayo Clinic. Another 7 hour drive from home but well worth it! FINALLY getting answers!!!
Hi Kathy,
     I am 49 yrs old (female) , had my colon removed and resection of small intestine to rectum 1 1/2 yr. ago . I am starting to have issues with bloating , hunger , indigestion, until now I have been doing ok except constantly dealing with staying hydrated . I had mine removed due to polyps (familial polyposis). Kinda frustrated with "food issues", one Dr. says eat high fiber,another said "no" . Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...Susanne
I had my surgery on the 18th.

I was released on the 25th

I formed an ileus and was readmitted by ambulance to the hospital and ended up staying 2 more weeks until everything finally started to work. I was in a LOT of pain that was controlled by morphine (lots of it)

I am finally home after 3 weeks in the hospital at Mayo. I am now weening off the narcotics and experiencing the pains and pings from surgery that you normally experience. I am still on liquid and mushy foods even though I am going on 4 weeks because of the ileus putting me behind schedule.

Wow I've just read your story and could have written it word for word
I had my large bowel/intestine removed Sept 2012 after having an ileostomy for a year. It was a very rough time, the surgery painful and with several complications. I too lost a lot of weight very quickly but like you it was like I woke up one morning and it had all piled back on and some!!! I'm restricted in what I eat and have tried to follow a low residue diet as best I can but I'm steadily gaining weight and feeling dreadful with it
You wrote your comments sometime ago but I'd love to hear if you've improved and if so what did you do?..
Hi, that is what I am about to have in two weeks. I am so scared. I can't find any websites that really help you understand what to expect.

Will I gain tremendous amount of weight? Is there a way to prevent the horrific gas I have been reading about on here? Is there a list of good foods and bad foods.

I am having it done because of mega colon/sluggish colon and sever chronic constipation.

I would appreciate anyone who will tell me their thoughts.
It is very scary to think about having your colon removed.  I will tell you my experience (age 65) and my daughter's (age 36).  We both have a mutation of the Familial polyposis gene.  I put it off for 1 1/2 years because of the unknown.  As you get older the healing process is longer and 2 weeks post op I was definitely much better.  It was a difficult recovery for me but I also had a hysterectomy at the same time.  At any rate recovery is different for every one.  My daughter also had a colectomy and was up and driving at 1 1/2 weeks post op.  As far as life after colectomy, I think you should do fine.  The difference in quality of life is having an ileorectal anastomosis vs. ilioanal anastomosis.  The latter usually is more difficult as you will be having BM very frequently during the day and at night.  We had the iliorectal and we are both back to our normal routine.  I find that I go to the bathroom once maybe twice a day.  My surgeon said that is unusual and usually its 3-4 times a day.  You should not have the urgency that you need to "run to the bathroom".  My daughter just had her surgery the end of October of 2013 and her body is still adjusting to what foods she can eat and what food bothers her.  It is trial and error.  Your doctor should provide you with a list of foods that you can tolerate and ones that could cause loose BM.  If he doesn't, then the hospital nutritionist should be able to  do so.

As far as the weight is concerned:  again, it's how you handle it.  I lost weight and because of the fear of gaining weight from everything I read, I went to a naturopath.  He along with my PCP said, "If you don't want to gain weight then you need to watch your caloric intake.  If you eat more than you burn off, you will gain weight."  So I joined a gym and I spin or walk about 4 days a week.  I have lost 25 lbs. and have kept it off for a year.  

I know this is a lot to handle but if your mind is in the right place, you will do well.  My surgery was elective so it was hard for me to go into the hospital feeling well and coming out feeling not so great.  You have symptoms and hopefully it will be the opposite for your.  Good luck and any more questions, please post.  
Wow such great advicel
What did you do after surgery to keep from gaining so much weight. That is what I am terrified of. I keep hearing that I will gain tons of weight.
Hi:  Thanks.  The surgeon and the naturopath both told me to WALK, WALK, WALK,  That is going to keep the weight off.  My naturopath told me if you walk 45 mins a day and it doesn't have to be a quick walk, it will boost your metabolism.   During the warm weather, I walk/run a few days a week and spin the other days at the gym but in the winter (I live in CT and it is still very cold here) I try to get to the gym 5 days a week but at least 4 days and I take their spin classes for 45 minutes so that helps.  But in the beginning I wrote everything  I put in my mouth on a piece of paper so that if I started to gain weight I could look back and see what might have caused it.  I am not saying that's for you but it helped me.  The bottom line is that you have eat less than you burn off or at least stay constant.  I had one previous surgery before my colectomy because of a perforated colon during a colonoscopy.  I had lost 10 lbs but then around Christmas time I started eating cookies saying one isn't going to hurt and then it went up to 2, etc. and I gained it all back and then some so I am determined not to let that happen again.  I had told the doctor about everything I read and how you can gain weight after this surgery and he said that isn't going to happen if you watch your caloric intake and exercise.  Many people gain weight because before the surgery they were sick such as people who had colitis or crohn's disease so they were very sick and couldn't eat.  After their surgery they felt good and could eat and therefore gained the weight.  I hope this helped you.  
The other thing I forgot to ask you is how you are having your surgery.  Is it laproscopic or open incision.  That makes a difference in recovery also.  My perforated colon surgery was open and scar tissue formed so when I had my actual total colectomy it was done laproscopicallly, he had to clean out the adhesions so that added to my recovery period.  If you have a choice go with the laproscopic.  It is a less invasive.
Let me know how you do and again any questions, feel free to ask.
Tim how old where you when you had your large intestine removed?
My grandson is 10 yrs old and will have his removed. At ten you should not be worrying about surgery. What would be your advice to him. Did you need to take a test to see how much mobility your intestine had?
I had my large intestine removed 2 weeks ago. Can eat anything I want.  I have a problem with constipation as opposed to diarrhea.  I guess I need to add more fiber to my diet, but have been a little afraid too. On a stool softner twice a day. The first 2 or 3 days were very painful!  I had a pain pump which allowed me to better control my pain .  Also muscle relaxants really help relieve the pain.  Taking them twice a day for 2 weeks.  In the hospital they had me up the day after surgery walking the halls 3 x day. I'm at home still sore but eating, walking and trying to take it easy.  They told me no strenuous activity for a month.  I had an overall good experience with no problems.  
I thought I had replied to your post but I don't see it here.  If this is a repeat than I am sorry.  So I will try again.  I am surprised your surgeon didn't give you a list of foods to eat and to stay away from.  I would check with him to be on the safe side.  My surgeon had me on a very low fiber diet for 2 weeks.  I was to eat lots of protein as it helps in healing.  After 2 weeks I could eat what I wanted and it became trial and error as to what my body could handle.  He did give me a list of foods that would cause loose stools and ones that would firm them up.  I did eat a lot of applesauce.  The two foods he said to stay away from permanently are blueberries and raisins as they for some unknown reason can get stuck.  If that happens, you get hooked up to an IV in the hospital until it passes.   Also no lifting more than 5 lbs for 6 weeks.  Other than that I was pretty much on my own.  Again any questions, you should call your surgeon.  Best to be safe than sorry.  Good luck.
Blueberries & raisins?  Oh, I love blueberries, but I will take your advice.  My surgeon has been of no help regarding diet (or anything else).  Thank God for sites like this one to share and gain knowledge.  I over did it this past Memorial Day weekend and now I'm having pains I didn't have before.  Still prone to constipation.  Could you share part of your food list that might help with my elimination problem?  Thanks in advance for sharing.  
I had mine removed at 25  I am now 51 up until last year  I had occasional
bowel obstruction and cramping  when I had surgery it was experimental by the way  all I can say  is it was better than the alternative .... not going to batheroom that is  now its happening again and stomach swollen   couple of things I would rather have had surgery I have had than a colostomy bag  u will  I had same surgery ur having  I was suppose to be there for a week  I was there for almost 2 months don't freak out its a horrible  surgery u will beg to get off pain meds they don't tell u it promotes ungodly gas pains and dermrol  not morphine ... morphine doesn't kill pain  it just messes up ur head good luck  and  u will be fine I will pray for u
hi I have a 9 year old son that a year ago was diagnose with ulcerative colitis and been thinking if removing his large intestine would be a good option just to stop all the suffering hes going through any thing you recommend on how it has worked out for you plz thanks if you can email me at ***@****  
hi Hilimit. I was diagnosed with uc when i was 9 years old. i had my large intestine removed when i was 11. i am 42 now. I Hope your son is feeling better. the first few years without a large intestine are the hardest
hi has your grandson gone through the operation if so how did it go my son is 9 and thinking of having his large intestine removed he has ulcerative colitis
I'm so sorry.  I never received a notice that you had responded to my post.  Of course I will share with you what I was told.   thinning food:  apple juice, red wine, beans spicy foods, licorice, spinach broccoli, apple-trap-prune juice, chocolate (which I eat anyway) and large meals.  thickening foods-applesauce, corn (although not completely digested) rice, bananas, nuts, starchy food,s bran, oatmeal, wheat, breads, pasta, cheese, creamy peanut butter.  I hope this helps.  It is pretty much trial and error with some things.  I love lentil soup but more than one small bowl and I am married to the bathroom for about 10 hours.   Hope things are going well with you.  again, I am sorry I didn't get to you sooner.
I don'tknow if you follow this site still. I hadtotal colectomy 9 months ago and I have the same type of pain in rectal area and very low abdomen. the surgeon said it was muscle or intestinal spasms. But, it really worries me. When it happens it is debilitating. It lasts for 1-2 hours and finally goes away. I have even taken pain medication during these times.
If you are still in this community, I'd love to here your outcome with the same probelem!
This I posted a few minutes ago, 8/6/14 to sam072565. Her questioned was posted many years ago but I found it still on this site. If anyone reads it, or understands my situation or has experienced this rectal pain following colectomy-please let me hear from you! Thank you!!!

I don't know if you follow this site still. I had total colectomy 9 months ago and I have the same type of pain in rectal area and very low abdomen. the surgeon said it was muscle or intestinal spasms. But, it really worries me. When it happens it is debilitating. It lasts for 1-2 hours and finally goes away. I have even taken pain medication during these times.
9 MONTHS POST TOTAL COLECTOMY

I asked a question yesterday, on Aug. 6, 2014. I have not posted anything for many months.
I am not sure how to look for or see any responses to my posts. Can someone refresh my memory? I checked the watch list. Will I be emailed if I get any responses?
I would like to find answers to my concerns and also see how others are doing at 9 months post surgery.
I still follow.  Did you get my reply?  I don't see it posted on here.
I don't see it either.
I had a bowel resection at 6 months old as I had necrotising enterocolitis at birth. My main problems are needing the toilet several times a day. If I'm out at a resteraunt I can easily go a few times, I always like to know where the bathrooms are.  I think anxiety makes it worse and makes me need the toilet when I probably do not need to. I do get some bloating and always lots of gurgling sounds!  Does anyone have similar. I have found fybogel to be particularly helpful once a day, twice a day seems to bung me up. Can anyone recommend any foods that are better and foods to avoid.
I had a subtotal colectomy 10 days ago and I'd like to know if this is normal. I feel like watery stools run down to my rectum every minute and cumulates slowly there until I go to the bathroom.
Just the fact it feels something is in the rectum makes me feel very uncomfortable. I believe this is because I don't have a sigmoid colon anymore so poop doesn't move to the rectum at once, but move every minute. Will this feeling go away as time passes? I don't want to sit in the toilet 24/7..

I almost cried reading all the comments here knowing so many people suffer from constipation like me. Thank you for all the comments here. I wish I was born more normally, but it is what it is and I just have to live on like this...
Can you share the doctors name that removed your large intestine?

I am in search of a doctor now, two have told me I need to have this done, but the specialist said he only see's one to two cases a year.

Thanks,
Sue
Hi. Have u had the surgery?  Where do you live?
terri49
I also have celiac and they did not tell me that I would balloon up from my normal 90 pounds. I feel so ut of control.  met with y surgeon all of about 10 minutes before I had my operation and never saw her after that. This was at the Mayo Clinic. I only saw her team after that and her nurse practitioner I had lots of coplicaions. one in which they over drugged me and I stopped breathing and they called  the emergency ICU response team and they had to give me 2 different shots to bring me out of the coma. Still did not see my surgeon, Now I have ballooned up from 90 to 100 pounds 10 months later so what's t to be 3 yrs from now. Never told about any chances of weight gain.
I gained 30 lbs in less than 24hrs before my total colectomy, said it was because I wasn't absorbing/getting enough protein + nutrients. It's been 2 months and I'm down 20 lbs.. I feel your frustration though! :( hopefully things got better for you <3
I had this surgery done 35 years ago for the same reason, except they left    
1 1/2 feet to conect to my rectum. It was the best thing I've ever had done. No more constipation. I do have watery BM's but that is so preferable to the bound up stomach aches I used to get. Ask your doctor why you have to have the whole bowl removed. Wouldn't 3 1/2 feet be enough?
Good luck!
Has anyone checked into what we should do differently diet wise? It seems like not having much or any large intestine would cause diet deficiency syndrome or loss of good gut bacteria.
Hey ... I also have severe divertic & was wondering how you made out ? Did you eventually have the surgery ? Im contemplating having the surgery but concerned . Please give me any info or if  you can pass along any advice.
Harvey
Amanda, I had my large intestine removed when i was 11. I had an Ileostomy for a year. then my small intestine was connected to my rectum. It took a bit of getting used to. but i am now 42 and have 2 kids. If i can help with any questions let me know
Do you get runny stool? My GI doctor has asked me at each biannual appointment if I was ready for a reconnection. I've had an ileostomy since I was 9 months old. I am 25 years old now. My mom has always told me to say no thanks because she thinks I'll get a leaky butt. I would like to see how I would fare with a reconnection. It would be kind of neat to wear a swimsuit in public without swim trunks too. However, it seems like a lot of people in my area have begun to follow my lead and wear swim trunks with their swimsuits. It's kinda cool and funny at the same time.
Hi amanda, i have a family member that just had their large intestines removed an hooked the small intestine to the rectum.  I am wanting to know about your diet an your activities?   How often do you go to the restroom and can it be more controlled with when you eat an how much you eat?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again, Jacqueline
Jackied284
Hi CarolK74, i have a family member that just had their large intestines removed an hooked the small intestine to the rectum.  I am wanting to know about your diet an your activities?   How often do you go to the restroom and can it be more controlled with when you eat an how much you eat?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again, Jacqueline
I had my entire large intestine removed when i was 12. I am 40 now and have no problems. I am really small though, about 5 ft 3 in and weigh 99 lbs. But i eat whatever I want and don&#39;t worry about weight.I have 2 kids so no problems there. Generally I have tons of energy.The only fall back is that yes you will go to the bathroom alot, and when you go it will be like water mostly.Also it will be loud. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery. Turina
Xry my brother is having the same problem his rectum is removed bt people say dat he will use the bags all his life is it true
Hello iAmanda, this reply is a little late as I have just found and joined this forum today. Just want to know how you are doing? My husband had all of his large colon removed about 5 years ago. He is doing good besides going to the toilet a lot. I noticed he has a strange cough everytime he lies down.