Gastroenterology Community
Lesions in Esophagus

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Lesions in Esophagus

I had an EGD on 9/30 and at the time the Doctor stated that I had lesions on my esophagus that he was going to biopsy.  My question is---are most lesions cancerous.  I don't go back to the doctor until the end of the month but I am really concerned about this and was wondering if anyone else had this diagnosed and what was done.

Thank You
Most lesions are not cancerous, I have had 2 and so both are no cancerous, in fact they have never expressed concern about cancer to me.
Hello :) I am sorry to hear about these lesions. About 8 years ago, I had an endoscopic analysis that showed "erosions" in my esophagus and stomach and ulcers in my small intestines.

This was caused by abuse of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDS such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Boy I really abused them for years.

Anyway, I was started on the proton pump inhibitors, or PPIs like Nexium and Protonix. I must not have taken enough PPIs, yet a second endo showed all was cured.

Yesterday my gastro doctor's nurse called me and said that I have Barrett's Esophagus, per the pathology findings/report. This is a pre-cancerous condition that can be stopped from turning into cancer by increasing the dosage of PPIs.

Barrett's Esophagus is caused by acid reflux that I COULD NOT FEEL. I had an endoscopic analysis and a colonoscopy while under anesthesia, Thursday of last week, because of stomach pain and my third colonoscopy due to occurrences of many colon polyps being removed in prior years. I had 3 rectal polyps removed and biopsied last Thursday. No cancer found. I believe that they were making my butt hurt. I have been "sore" from the removal but I think that I am going to feel better in my butt, lol.

Both of you need to be very aware that acid reflux probably caused your lesions and  remember what acid reflux can do without you feeling it. I have been on the PPIs for years, so I guess that is what kept me from feeling any pain.

Schedule those endos as recommended by your doctors!

My best to both of you,

Jack
Thank you so much for your post.  I am so glad to hear that.  Of course I have been thinking the worst and I still have four weeks until I see my doctor.  That's a long time but I do feel better since your reply.
Thank you for your response.  I am aware of acid reflux but was really scared by the term "lesions".  This is so nice to be able to talk to someone about it.  I am on medication for acid reflux for  some years so I guess I just wait to see if that is my problem.

Thank you again for your reply.