Gastroenterology Community
Life without a colon

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Life without a colon

What is the quality of life without your colon

This discussion is related to Life after a total colectomy....

Hi - I underwent a total colectomy nearly five years ago for torrential diverticular bleeding.  I summarised my experiences to another Medhelp patient on the following posting:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Have a look at that and do come back if you have any questions

regards
Morecambe
Just wanted to add my thoughts and to try and reassure people.
I had a total colectomy because of megacolon. it was back in 1988 and I was one of the very first to have the op where they attach the small intestine straight to the rectum (no bag needed).
I was in hospital for two weeks, then at home sore for a month or so, but only sore cos of the big slice down my tummy. Once that healed, I had no problems. And I've had no problems ever since (21 years now - I'm 45). I eat what I want, when I want (whereas before the op I couldn't do fried or fatty food etc - got terrible pain in stomach).
I can honestly say that apart from having to poo two or three times a day (and it has never been solid - sorry to be graphic) it has had no bad effects on me at all - in fact it completely changed my life for the better. So although I'm sure some people have a hard time afterwards, it is not always so - and i was one of the early guinea pigs!
hi, i am 23 years old and i'm scared! i might have to get surgery to remove my large colon coz of my ulcerative colitis it's not getting any better, and i was just wondering if thing's are going to change dramatically...like going out in public? having sex? having a job? etc....i have a daughter and a partner and i can't afford after the op to be non existent. but i'm terrified..i need help i dont know what to do. any advice or help you can give regarding the surgery and how to put my life back together afterwards to prepare myself mentally will be a big help for me. thank you.
Princesstia101,

I am 24, will be 25 in June.  I just had a total colectomy with ileorectal anestemosis, (I am still trying to figure out how to spell that) by small intestine was connected to my rectum so I do not have a colostomy and did not end up with a J-Pouch.  My surgery was on March 4th, so I am now 2 months post-op.  My surgery was due to slow transit and sever constipation.  I do/did not have UC so there may be some differences between how things went with my surgery and how things could go for you if you end up having this surgery.  I have been kind of keeping a detailed log of my recovery process and chatting with someone else in a discussion.  You may want to look at “Colectomy to treat constipation?!?!”.  That is the discussion I started and have continued to post in.  That will give you a bit of information.  If you would like I also do private messages with someone else and would be willing to do the same with you.  If you would like to do that just send me a message and any questions you have and I will help as much as I can.

Quartzn99
I just recently had my colon removed because of ulcerative colitis and I was almost totally blocked.  I have been battling colitis for 20+ years since around 1990.  I am currently 53 years old.  They found it was colon cancer and I needed to have the surgery.  I am currently undergoing chemo to reduce the possibility of it returning.  I experience going to the can quite a bit (sometimes hourly) and am taking imodium (immodium) to rectify that.  I hope this excessive going to the can is a result of the chemo and not going to be an issue for life.  
Sorry to hear what you are going through.  I will say from experience, having your colon removed will lead to frequent trips to the bathroom.  I had my surgery in March 2011.  After the surgery I had to make frequent urgent trips to the bathroom.  At this point it has slowed down (usually 2-3 trips a day).  I do occasionally have days when everything picks up speend and urgerncy and I have not yet figured out what causes it, but it is not a daily battle for me.

Hope things get better for you soon.  If you have any questions or would like to chat I'm open to messaging about everything I have been through.

Best of luck and health,

Quartzn99
I wanted to ask everyone here something. My question is, what differences physically will you see with a person with their colons removed? Will that person forever have this 'J pouch' attached to them, 24/7? What scars will they have on the body?

Bowel cancer is in my boyfriends family, his mother died from it. I heard something on the news today and I found out about some people having the bowels removed to dramatically reduced the changes of getting bowel cancer. Naturally, I am worried about my boyfriend and feel it is just a matter of time until he gets bowel cancer. It upsets me greatly sometimes.

Apart from visiting the toilet more often, what differences in day-to-day life are there?
My daughter was diagnosed with total megacolon. She is 3 moths old and currently has an ostomy.we are now preparing for the second operation when the doctors will remove the entire colon. The doctors are planning a Soave without a pouch. Some other doctor told me she would be better off with the soqage holey operation with a pouch.
My question to you is : what procedure did your doctors perform? Do you have a pouch? How many poos did you have after the operation until it stabilized to 2, 3?
Please let me know asap because we need to make a decision for the operation. Let me know any other information that you may find relevant.

Thanks and congrats
We adopted a four year old that had her colon out when she was 1 month old.  They attached her small intestine to her bottom.  She is very healthy.
She was not potty trained when she came to us but now she is.  She wears big girl undies but has accidents several times a day.  Her BM is total liquid.  I'm wondering if there are foods that will thicken her BM or if anyone has other  suggestions on ways to help her.   I know there is a medicine she can take but we would like to help her naturally first and last resort if needed use the medicine.

Thank you
I just started the injections of Humria and will see how that goes. The Dr. has told me that if this does not work I will have to have the colon removed and my small intestines connected to my rectum at the same time. I also wonder about the recovery after the surgery. I am 72 yrs. young and have been battling UC for over 40 years and I am at the end of my rope. Any additional information on recovery time etc. will be greatly appreciated.