Gastroenterology Community
Low Amylase
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Low Amylase

I have had upper abdominal pain for years and recently had some blood work checking on my pancreas.  The results showed a low Amylase level of 22 (30-140 being normal range).  What does this mean?  Is it bad that my amylase level is low?  Thanks for the help.  
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I thought that I would add that I also have an elevated Alkaline Phosphatase at 112.  Thanks!
Blank
Can anyone help with this?
Blank
I was trying to find something about low amylase levels as mine were recently found to be. The following is the best thing I found online. I hope it helps some.  

Low Amylase Levels in Blood
Low level of amylase in the body is mostly resulted due to consumption of high amounts of carbohydrates. This is the case with amylase deficiency in people with fat intolerance. As mentioned earlier, amylase catalyzes starch and complex carbohydrates. So, the higher the amount of these nutrients in the body, the more is the requirement of amylase. Eventually, the level of amylase falls down from the normal recommended level, thus manifesting amylase deficiency symptoms.

As amylase enzyme is deficient in the body, the dead WBCs are not digested, which in turn leads to formation of abscesses. Contrary to the skin abscesses caused by infections, amylase linked abscesses contain only pus without microbes. Low level of amylase is also related to other skin problems such as inflammation, allergic reactions, eczema, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis. It may also trigger asthma attacks and other respiratory diseases. Severe cases of amylase deficiency are detected in patients having chronic pancreatitis, cirrhosis, pancreatic cancer, kidney disease, and hepatitis.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank