Gastroenterology Community
Medicine- living without large intestine
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Medicine- living without large intestine

My mom had a surgery 3 years ago and the have removed her large intestine. HEr life quality has decreased a lot, because she has diarrea (diarrhea), and sometimes can´t get to the bathroom. I would like to know if there is a strong medicine, so as to avoid diarrea (diarrhea) for these cases. Can you help?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
i'm guessing they removed her intestine because it was full of helmins or bacteria.  if you know of a naturopath that has bio-resonnance testing or bio-meridian, they can sometimes put you at ease, they do it all the time so it's no big deal.  it's quite a difference talking to these people since they understand gastro problems and 'undiagnosed' bacterial infections.  they can give you a printout of problems, then you'll have to go from there.   my mom went through the same, if not worse; now i'm going through it but want to prevent it.  if i can help let me know.
Blank
I had my large intestant removed 14 months ago due to due inertia. Diarrea (diarrhea) was a problem for a while but these are a few things that have helped. Small meals 6 x daily, probotics, liquid vitamins, potassium, calcium. Antidiarrea medicine as needed and power aid lots daily to prevent dehydration. Also alcohol I have found makes diarrea (diarrhea) worse and will dehydrate you faster than most people. I dealt with severe muscle spasms and found the potassium is something I have to have. I am glad that I had the surgery because the pain is gone and I can now eat where before I was severly malnourished because of the inertia. Dehydration is still a big problem but it is getting better. Consult with everyone you know for answers my mds weren't the most helpful my chiropractor was the most helpful.good luck
Blank
In 2004 I underwent a total colectomy for torrential diverticular bleeding and recorded my experience on http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

I found that a high fibre diet helped to counteract diarrhoea - including pulverised fresh fruit to which organic bran has been added - likewise fresh vegetables + bran.  Wholemeal bread, no junk food etc etc.

I likened this diet to dealing with a liquid spillage on the kitchen floor on which you throw sawdust to make a "sludge" which is more easily scraped up.

regards
Morecambe

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949