Pain after upper endoscopy / EGD
Hi, I just underwent an upper endoscopy and biopsy yesterday for some stomach pain I've had for several years. I haven't gotten test results back but so far have been diagnosed with chronic gastritis and reflux esophagitis. My question is about how I am feeling right now. From all I've read there should be no pain or discomfort after the procedure but I feel like someone punched me in the stomach and I'm nauseated. I wasn't having a flare-up at the time of the procedure but I'm wondering if somehow having the scope in there irriated my stomach lining. The pain isn't severe which I guess would indicate a complication like a perforation and I have no fever or anything but I can't come up with any stories from anyone about not feeling well after this procedure. I called the Dr's office and the nurse just said it was because they had to put air into my stomach for the procedure and because I didn't eat yesterday until about 1pm . I just don't know. I don't feel gassy... Anyone else have this experience?
your post is 5 years ago. Did you recover or find the cause because it's been six weeks since my endoscopy and I have stomach pain located around the top of my liver. It wasn't there before as the grade three ulceration in my esophagus didn't go any deeper into my gastric system. I felt a 'popping' sensation when the endoscope went round the final bend in the examined portion of my intestines. Anyone else felt this ?
Me too !! Six weeks later and I have pain over my liver under my right ribs. I only had a local anesthetic throat spray and no pain in my throat or stomach after the scan but I did feel a 'popping' sensation in that area when they got to the end of the Endoscopic scanned area. My GP thinks it couldn't possibly be caused by the procedure but I think it was.
i had an endoscopy done on 22nd October. I suffer with panic attacks, so the day of the procedure I was very scared. i had the throat spray and sedation. i didn't feel a thing. the whole procedure took only 4 minutes, and i didn't feel a thing. when i got home i just had an hour sleep. i felt great. now its just over 1 week after having endoscopy, i received my results, doctor says i have helicobacter in my stomach.  now im having bad stomach pains, chest pains, and feel a little sick. doctor put me on antibiotics and penicillin and also taking omeprazole capsules. hopefully it all goes away real soon.   all you have to remember when having endoscopy, is just relax, and you will be fine. x
I had an endoscopy on Thursday of last week, for a problem that my family doctor insisted was gastric in nature (I had pressure when I breathed, so she suggested an endoscopy to examine the diaphragm). Until this point in time, I had zero stomach pain/stomach problems. Now I have lower abdominal pain that started the evening after my surgery. I told my doctor about this and she shrugged it off as anxiety.

When I went into the operating room, I remember signing a consent form and then remember them spraying a bitter medication onto the back of my throat, which later numbed it, before sticking an IV in me. By this point I was groggy. I then remember him starting to insert the mouthpiece, and that is when I lost all memory of what happened. Next time I was aware, I was laying in my bed at home and just awoke from my nap.. Apparently, I got wheeled out into a hospital room and rested, before being walked out by my mom and driven home so I can go to bed... but I remember NONE of this. These last six hours were lost time. The freaky part is, my eyes were wide open the whole time according to my mom. Does anybody know what sedative they might have given me to cause these sensations?

Anyways, my real question is this: It's been 6 days since the procedure and since then I have had a mild, dull constant pain in my abdomen. I passed it off as gas cramps initially, but now it's really starting to become bothersome. It's a gnawing pain that really makes me not feel like eating. My meals are substantially reduced because I can no longer tolerate anything more than small portions. My stomach is all gurgly and growly, but there's a band of pain that remains intact in my abdomen. It makes falling asleep uncomfortable, eating uncomfortable, and even light exercise uncomfortable. I pass stools fine, but I find that the pain gets so bothersome sometimes that I induce vomiting on myself, with little relief.

Is this something that is normal after having an endoscopy, and will it go away? I am very upset that I had NO pain beforehand, but now I'm riddled with it.
Get one ginger root and rinse then boil in about 3 cups of water, get one cup of the broth and add a green tea bag and cinnamon stick and wildflower honey. Very soothing and healing for the gastrointestinal tract.
I am very happy I found this forum of comments.  I had an endoscopy 2 days ago and feel like something has changed with my insides.  I awoke from the procedure and felt great!  Then shortly after I ate something, I felt an enormous knot in my sternum that would not go away.  I am having the following symptoms now two days out: painful bloating, inability to have substantial bowel movements, and the feeling that my stomach is very distended with air.  Additionally, I have an odd gurgling sound and my appetite has decreased for the past couple of days.

I finally emailed my pcp and I am awaiting a reply email back.

I did plenty of research on this procedure beforehand and nowhere did I read anything about such discomfort.  I wish I had found this forum so I could have better prepared myself for the after effects.
I had similar case. I did my EGD  on Thursday 1/16/14, doctor did biopsy. That day and night I slept a lot. Friday night my butt, upper and lower legs cramping pain couldn't go away. Saturday morning I started to have painful urination, It was painful soreness and difficult to pass the water out,(the soreness and pain is gone after I drank a lot of cranberry juice, but for 2 days and 2 nights it made me terrible). My stomach area (middle left side, close to my breast) have some discomfort, feel like something is there, food or water blocked in there, especially when I eat, drink liquid, burp. I feel like the food or liquid hit that spot, causing me pinch pain and discomfort. Yesterday afternoon I had diarrhea. My PCP said I might got stomach flu. I was worried about my pinch pain in my stomach, my sore muscle and fever could be a sigh a infection. But after the diarrhea, I felt better.

How are you doing now? Did you get a answer from you PCP doctor?
Just had a EGD and colonoscopy on Thursday 2/6/14. Went in as a routine check up cause I am 52 now. I procrastinated cause I did not want to do it after reading about possible perforation. Neighbor convinced me to do the colonoscopy. Finally, I did both and I regret it. Will never do it again.
I slept well on the 1st night after that it was horrible. I have constant gastric pain, which I have never had since childhood. The EGD brought back my old illness with a vengeance. This is the worse gastric pain I ever have. When I eat a little, I feel bloated and felt like I over ate and within an hour or so, I feel hungry again. Which is terrible. I woke up at 2am on Sunday morning feeling gastric pain and hungry, ate and woke up again at 6am feeling same way and ate again. It is 7.30am now and I am feeling queasy again. Another issue, I can't seem to be able to sleep on my side, my stomach seems like it is crushed and difficult to breathe.
And yes, I do have a little discomfort when urinating. It is like passing hot fluid! This morning(Sunday), I am feeling ok when urinating.
My colonoscopy has left me with abdominal cramps which is very similar to period cramps. Right now, what bother me most is my gastric pain. I did not have any sore throat as what the doc warns me about.
Oh yes, I did have a little diarrhea when I came home on Thursday after the procedure. I have pinch pain on my right side of my abdomen when I try to sit up from laying down position. Waiting on the result for my biosy now which a polyp was removed from my colon
I just wanted to let you know that I had an endoscopy 12/31/13 and experienced similar problems with the recovery.  I have been suffering with acid reflux for 7 months now and have tried almost everything under the sun to relieve my symptoms.  I am much better and I hope that you are better as well by now.  Here is my observation regarding my procedure.  I woke up in the middle of it and felt the probe in my throat.  A day after the procedure started having intense pain only when I ate.  After an ER visit and several doctor's visits figured out that my esophagus was damaged and bruised by gagging on the probe when I woke up.  The intense pain lasted basically 2 weeks after the procedure and only got better after having a CAT scan done (it may be possible that the barium soothed the injury).  The ER physician told me that the injury was temporary and it would heal eventually.  However, I still experienced the severe acid reflux on a daily basis.  Finally started drinking decaf green tea with honey and lemon after eating dinner before bedtime and it COMPLETELY HEALED MY GASTRIC REFLUX!  It has been approximately 6 weeks since drinking my tea at bedtime and it totally took care of the problem.  I wish that I had known that before starting Pantaprozole and having an endoscopy.  I hope and pray that my information has helped you in some way.  God Bless!
I had an upper endoscopy yesterday and I feel terrible today.  This was my third test and I don't remember this with the others.  I do feel as if someone has punched me in the stomach and my intestines keep cramping.  I did eat a little dinner and that seems to help.  
It is now 6 days after my upper endoscopy and I still have not been able to eat solid foods. The procedure itself was a breeze. I was put out and felt nothing. He found mild gastritis and some reflux and biopsy was benign. About 4 hours after the procedure, I tried to eat bread with olive oil and it got stuck the entire way down. It almost didn't make it to my stomach. My esophagus has felt so tight. Also with throat pain on and off. I called my doctor and he prescribed me Carafate to soothe my esophagus and it has done nothing. It's hard for me to even drink water, it feels stuck. I called his office every day and they said unfortunately people react differently to this procedure and to basically wait it out. I went to the ER yesterday and they did a barium swallow CT scan. My esophagus was fine, obviously very inflamed though, which will not show on a CT scan.
So I was told by the Gastroenterologist on call that this could last from 10 to 14 days! I was told a minor sore throat after the procedure. I don't regret getting it done because I wanted to know what was going on but I am so upset about how I feel. I am starving, dehydrated and have lost weight. I really just pray this goes away soon. I feel for all of you. It's terrible that we have such awful reactions to this. Our bodies did not like that invasive tube. Now I have a terrible sore throat and left ear pain. Yay. I will update if and when I feel better.  
Don't let those doctors fill you with crap. A lot of people wake in the middle of those exams, I have and its very painful, your in so much pain you flail around and hurt yourself, then they pump you up with more of that forget drug and when you finally come threw and you tell them what happend they lie and say you were having a dream. They should allow someone in there with you so no B.S. can happen.
I had an endoscopy last mont.  That was my third procedure . I never had any problem with my two first procedure.... But the last one since then I feel pain on my upper stomach and pain is like I was punched on the stomach... Most of times the pain comes after eating, I have esophagitis and I'm taking dexilant 60mg now 2X a day. Let me say.. When I was diagnosticed with acid reflux and esophagitis I wasnt feeling any pain... Just the hurtburn...after 6 months taking the dexilant once a day and NOT doing any diet I wasn't feeling any pain either ... It was last time I had my third endoscopyto to verify how things were going on ... I was diagnosted still with the esophagitis but it was better than the first time I was diagnosted ...since that last endo.. I'm having pain , I'm diet, I don't eat nothing bellow ph5...it has been a month since my endo... And I don't have any p. Lloris. ...Did someone have the same experience?
I just had my upper endoscopy this morning. It went great. I was extremely nervous because I naturally produce a lot of adrenaline and was worried I would wake up or feel pain. The last thing I remember was them putting this bite piece in my mouth and lights out! I then woke up later in the recovery room telling everyone they were beautiful and then began to sing Dolly Parton's, Dumb Blonde song from the 60's. I kept telling the nurse ''I feel great, I can't believe its over and then would get tickled and start laughing and cutting up. The nurses were so sweet to me from start to finish and hugged me when I left. They first gave me a pregnancy test, then asked a lot of questions then the anesteologist came and put in my I.V with lidocane so I felt nothing. Then they wheel you back, put on some monitors, gave me warmed blankets, put oxygen on me, then the nurse anesteologist said she would put something in my IV that would prevent the Propofol from burning. Honestly, you basically just take a nap. Go to a hospital with a reputable reputation and an experienced Dr. and you will be fine. The worst part was the anxiety the night before. I did have a bit of gas but after drinking some water and burping and tooting a little its gone. Good Luck to anyone having this done, I know you're worried but you will be fine.
They put me out too when I had my endoscopy yesterday. I remember the guy saying, you're going to be going to sleep now, and feeling my head buzzing. Then blink, I was out. I woke up and was humming tune after tune as they wheeled me back to recovery too. However, I do have pain still in the lower sternum area. I believe it is because nerves have been irritated from a foreign body being inserted into the esophagus. Doc left a note about irritation of the nerve running down the esophagus. That makes sense to me, probably is a shock to the body and will cause some amount of pain depending upon how sensitive you are. No sore throat at all for me.
Hey all! Having issues here...so I had a Thyroidectomy 2yrs ago next month. Have been having lots of medical issues since then. Choking feeling, issues swallowing, stomach bloating like I'm 8mths prego looking (im not), among other things. So I saught out a gastro doc to do a Endoscopy. I had this done 12/18/14. Went in fine, besides the nurse opening all the "clean" instruments and throwing them on the counter (no barrier), they put me out....I woke up 45mins later, no pain nothing....they found ulcers and did biopsies. I went home fine had the sniffles. Rest of the day fine. Next day woke up with a horrible cold...went the whole weekend getting worse. Yesterday I spent 4hrs in the ER to tell me I had a bad case of bronchitis. Sent me home with Zpak, steroids, cough meds, and inhaler. When I got home the pain started in my stomach, heart burn and is constant. When I called the Dr today all he said was biopsies didn't come back, I'll see you on the 30th. What should I do? Go to the hospital again or wait? Thank you for reading.
I had the scoping and biopsies on the dec 10th I am still very sick and the doctors I seen say it is just from my h pylori meds but I have been on those meds for 11 days I am still very sick not getting better stomach pains the doctors won't believe me or act like I am crazy
I had the scoping done and biopsies on Dec 10th been sick ever since stomach didn't hurt before scoping - are any better? how long did it take to feel better??

How are you feeling now? I am having similar issue and it is been 3 months since endoscopy :(

I had an Upper endoscopy done 3 months ago, I did not experience any pain or stomach discomfort before, I was tested positive for H. Pylori and doctor sent me to do upper endoscopy (was really unnecessary but I trusted the doctor opinion..) . I had the procedure in the morning and in the evening I started to feel pain. I had severe abdomen and chest pain and acid reflux for 2 months with different medication not helping and doctors have no idea and other tests don't show anything. I wish I would see this discussion before agreeing to do Upper endoscopy. The stomach pain is a bit better now (not great..) but I am still experiencing pain/pressure under the right ribs and also something mechanically rubbing/popping against bottom of the right ribs...  this procedure seems to be not so safe after all :(
I agree it is not safe and people need to be warned about this I had mine done around Dec 10th and I was fine before the scoping and now I have been very very sick ever since with pain and a bloat and mild burning under my rib cage line very severe pain right after I had a hard time eating or drink even water causing me to be dehydrated and an infection went through my body causing my heart to beat irregularly was in hospital for 3 days they did all kinds of test couldn't find out what is wrong I don't think they want to admit it was from the scoping I wish there was something that could be done
I had both procedures done on Tues.  Felt fine after (because the anesthetic hadn't worn off?) but felt tummy ache and gassy still Thursday (began Tues night) :( Spend ages reading above but gave up.  Is gaviscon any good or settlers?  Does any particular food or drink aggravate it or make it better?
I had endoscopy done in 2008 under anesthesia for duodenal ulcers.  I obtained no useful information from the procedure.  I was on Prilosec for six years.  I have been off of Prilosec for 2 months now and am struggling with heartburn diahrea and gas.  I can still feel the scar the scope left in my throat.  I am afraid I may have chrohns disease or celiac but they want to perform another endoscopy.  Never again I say.  I don't drink, smoke, eat gluten or eat spicy or acidic foods.  Does anyone know if there are blood test for celiac or chrohns?
I had an endoscopy with a biopsy yesterday and after I ate, I had severe pain right below my sternum. I called my Dr. And he said that the food is irritating the biopsy site and to stay on liquids for the next day or so.  When I had this procedure last year the pain lasted 3 or 4 days but I just dealt with it.  I guess I have this to look forward to every time I have this procedure done....*****:/
I had a upper endoscopy on Friday feb 28, 2015 for a 5 year cancer screening and colonoscopy. I had it 5 years previously with no problems afterwards. This time the next day my upper stomach feels like someone kicked it and I am hearing all sorts of gurgling noises. The pain gets worse when I lay on my back and also severe back pain. I called and told them and they said if its really severe, chills or fever go to emergency. I really hope this is temporary as I had nothing before this procedure. My sister had the same thing a few months ago and 2 weeks later had a heart attack. I am freaking out now..i hope all gets back to normal. I do believe that there is a connection if you experience side effects afterwards.
After reading all the comments, I see I am not alone.  Had an endoscopy one wk ago today and I am still experiencing abdominal discomfort.  Felt fine after the procedure.  I was completely sedated felt nothing.  Ate after procedure with no problems.  That evening the stomach pain started.  Feels like it is right behind my breast bone.  Sometimes its very harsh other times mild, but always there.  Did have biopsy's done during procedure.  I was diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus.  Had a follow up, was told to take nexium instead of previcid.  Still have the pain.  I am starting to wonder if I have a perforation from procedure.  Also experiencing mild nausea at times.

I too had an endoscopy. It was on April 28th.  It is now May 30th. Throat is still raspy. Feel lightheaded sometimes.  Chest tight and difficult to get a deep breath at times. Never had the symptoms before I went in, or I never would've done the endoscopy.  No one seems to know why I have these issues. Can't seem to get a straight answer from anybody.  Reading your blog did help. But wondering how long it took for you to get through it?  They did find a hiatal hernia and took two biopsies but was told everything was fine.  He did mention GERD but the symptoms are so totally different now. When I went in I was doubled over in pain. now there is no pain in my stomach but now it's in my chest. Like my diaphragm has been squeezed or muscles were damaged.  I've googled so many things trying to find out because doctors don't give you straight answers. I'm googled out!  
I have the same feeling   I couldn't even get out qf bed. I wish they wouldn't have lied. This the 2nd time.
I hear ya. I had endoscopy for bowel over two weeks ago and feel initial stomach ache symptoms are way worse now. Stinging bloating cramps stabbing pains (probably/hopefully wind) and feels like an elastic band is being tightened above belly button. Had a really bad spell with a fever after taking herbal remedies and had ambulance called. That was scary. Is this normal in two week phase? No one warned me about this.
Never heard of anyone getting bulging or herniated discs from procedure.  I have bulging & herniated discs. I hit the floor one day out of blue, and then had a lot of pain &couldn't walk. I just had procedure done today.throat a little tender. Gone now. But have been experiencing chest discomfort, shortness of breath, feels like food won't go down & stuck in throat.my back is hurting too. Hopefully by tomorrow it goes away. And  constant belching/regurgitation.
I had an endoscopic ultrasound  with biopsy done on July 16 2015 and I'm still having problems on August 12 2015. After the procedure I was sent home right away. I was home for about 1 hour when I began to feel intense pain in my stomach and middle back. I ended up in the ER and spent 2 days in the hospital. I was still in major pain for at least 2 weeks after and continue with major discomfort. I feel like my stomach is filled with gas or liquid all the time. My stomach feels real heavy. When I go to bed if I lay on my back, I feel my stomach dropping into my body causing lots of pain. Same if I lay on my side, it feels like my stomach drops to the side and I'm not a fat person. Very hard to find a comfortable position. I've tried all kinds of anti gas and anti acid medication but nothing helps. Anyone have any similar problems? Did the problem ever go away?  
I had an endoscopy done on 060515 and 10 days later (061515) I was at the ER with shortness of breath feeling like I was getting a heart attack.  my Ddimer was high so they did a CT scan to rule out an embolism of the lungs.  Since 060515 I have been to the ER at 3 different hospitals 3 times and was referred to cardiologist, pulmonologist, etc...and every single day I feel crippled. have spent thousands of dollars w/medical expenses and tons of sick leave at work, have lost so much weight and I cannot do anything and am afraid to eat anything.  My stomach is always swollen, painful to the touch, severe spasms under my breasts, can't sit or sleep at night as feel like my stomach goes to the side...please let me know if you have found relief of some sort as I'm going on 3 months of daily suffering.  I was fine before the endoscopy.  my whole like has changed since then.
I had an endoscopy done on 060515 and 10 days later (061515) I was at the ER with shortness of breath feeling like I was getting a heart attack.  my Ddimer was high so they did a CT scan to rule out an embolism of the lungs.  Since 060515 I have been to the ER at 3 different hospitals 3 times and was referred to cardiologist, pulmonologist, etc...and every single day I feel crippled. have spent thousands of dollars w/medical expenses and tons of sick leave at work, have lost so much weight and I cannot do anything and am afraid to eat anything.  My stomach is always swollen, painful to the touch, severe spasms under my breasts, can't sit or sleep at night as feel like my stomach goes to the side...please let me know if you have found relief of some sort as I'm going on 3 months of daily suffering.  I was fine before the endoscopy.  my whole like has changed since then. how are you feeling; have you found anything to help alleviate these symptoms?  I am so desperate
Had a endoscope October 2013 .was bothered by slight heartburn and dyspepsia. Has diagnosed with chronic gastritis and hyplori got the antibiotic treatment over couple weeks .since then I've been back to drs many times with sore stomach and diarrhoea had blood tests and scans been told I've got ibs but before my endoscope I  was never in this much pain or discomfort
I've had endoscopy/ colonscopy two days ago and am still suffering with the ability to swallow. Everything else seems fine. Can anyone tell me how long will it be before I can eat without pain.
I had the exact same experience (3 weeks ago) and yesterday I was in unbearable pain. I went to the E.R. and they said that they accidentally punctured my intestine. If you haven't already you should really get that looked at.
I'm Linda I had mine done on the 2 of December 2015 and I can to eat anything it hurts so bad going down I can drink but it hurts to but not as bad the pain is more in my back  I can't lay on my back it hurt even burping hurts what can I do I know ill never go through this again
Hi just following up on how you are doing.  any relief from the symptoms you were having as I am not.  Still have stiffness under my sternum and upper ribs and stomach cramping.  Have lost 25 pounds since ED done on 060515.  Please let me know if you are feeling better and what you did that helped you as I feel helpless.  Have lost lots of work and on top of that dealing with my husband's prostate cancer.  Will appreciate your feedback.

hi im 17 i have an upper and lower gi done on 12-14-15 very recent an i woke up and it felt like i had a knot in the middle of my chest adn could barely breath and i woke up with a cut on my lip and in alot of pain and very gassy and now i feel like i have a burp but i cant and its god awful does anybody else feel like this or is it just me also its hard for me to swallow food or even drink anything but seriously does anybody else feel like this and were your nurses and doctor kinda rude to you and pushing you around in the bed when they made you sleep on your side
Hello I am getting worried now, I did endoscopy on 5january 2016 and fell light pain in stomach like camping or getting punched there ,please somebody tell me whether it is OK and the pain will go after some times. And also pain in my throat
During my EDG they removed a polyp and dilated the esophagus. I am in extreme pain and had to go back to the hospital for X-rays, just to be on the safe side.  the Dr said there was a pretty big divot where they removed the polyp and that pain is not unusual. He gave me Lydacane to numb the esophagus. So far my lips and the roof of my mouth are numb and that's about it. He did not know if the pain was from dilation of the esophagus or removing the polyp. He did say unfortunately the pain could last a few days. So far I've only had liquids and swallowing is horrifically painful.
I will check back in a couple of days and give an update.
February 2, 2016
I had an endoscopy yesterday and they did "conscious sedation" I was supposed to be under anesthesia but yesterday morning I ate a few very small pieces of candy not thinking about what I was doing. They wouldn't do anesthesia because of that. So I was awake but somewhat drugged up.
me too!
I went yesterday. March 21,2016 and i have a lot. Of pain in my.throat and i have. Heart burn really bad AND BACK PAIN  Not only tbat i am praying. For the. Results of HEALING. In JESUS NAME
I just had an upper endoscopy done today, although I felt ok after having it done, I now feel tired and nauseous. My mom had one done, she said her symptoms lasted about 2 weeks. I find chewing on crushed ice helps and so does using a heating pad on my stomach and back. For the throat pain I've been eating popsicles. Hope this helps a little
Two days ago upper endoscopy.   Today nauseous diarrhea and extreme cramps.   Feels like stomach flu.   Feel like I could throw up but haven't.   Is it the flu or a complication?  I have no idea.  Cane on really fast.    I really do not want to go to the emergency room.