Gastroenterology Community
Pain after upper endoscopy / EGD

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain after upper endoscopy / EGD

Hi, I just underwent an upper endoscopy and biopsy yesterday for some stomach pain I've had for several years. I haven't gotten test results back but so far have been diagnosed with chronic gastritis and reflux esophagitis. My question is about how I am feeling right now. From all I've read there should be no pain or discomfort after the procedure but I feel like someone punched me in the stomach and I'm nauseated. I wasn't having a flare-up at the time of the procedure but I'm wondering if somehow having the scope in there irriated my stomach lining. The pain isn't severe which I guess would indicate a complication like a perforation and I have no fever or anything but I can't come up with any stories from anyone about not feeling well after this procedure. I called the Dr's office and the nurse just said it was because they had to put air into my stomach for the procedure and because I didn't eat yesterday until about 1pm . I just don't know. I don't feel gassy... Anyone else have this experience?
Hi Nygrl,

I just had the same test (endoscopy and biopsy) on 2-19.  I have also had some minor stomach pain. Also, feel like there is a knot right below sternam (spelling?) plus quite a bit of belching. It kind of feels like I'm swallowing a large amount of something and it is sticking in my chest.

I can totally relate.  Had endoscopy/bipsy and colonscopy on 2.13.2007.  have had sick feeling to stomach and severe belching since.  found out i have hyplori and erosions.  I think the scope irritated the reflux and has made it worse.  Start treatment for hyplori-hopefully symptoms will clear
My nephew, 27yrs old, had an EGD in Dec. 2007 for a history of acid reflux which was well controlled with Nexium.  Within 6 hours of the EGD he also developed epigastric/chest discomfort with vomiting. Although his symptoms were vague, we decided to have him looked at in the local ER.  We were thinking maybe perforation.  They did an EKG and he was having a heart attack.  He was given clot buster and sent to a larger hospital where the heart cath showed clean arteries. No one can tell us if the two are related. We feel that they are related because he has never had any problems with the heart or signs and symptoms of heart problems.  We do not think of an EGD as a benign procedure anymore.
Had EGD and colonoscopy this past week. was told would not feel a thing.
felt nothing at the time of EGD being done, but did wake up, and feel the insertion of the colon tube, had pain each time it was advanced and found myelf calling out.
Felt violated, lied to, and was in alot of pain while waking  up more, and after ward
Feeling I had was like a horse kicked me in my upper and lower abdomen, felt bruised internally. was realy sore and in alot of discomfort.Just wanted to get out of there ASAP. discomfort and soreness continued on for several days. still finding myself feeling not back to norm and mild discomfort now, with bloating on and off still feel sore, but not as intense as it was.
.It has been 4 days now.awaiting biospy results, I hope they can tell me something, as I
never will do these test again.
mersa
Ive just had the endoscopy and biopsy today..Ive had it three times now.  My stomach is extremely gassy and I keep cramping up.  This didnt happen the other times.  I know they fill your intestines with air as the camera passs through and the fact Ive been fasting for the past 36 hours probably doesnt help.  Hoping the cramps will go soon.  Just wondering is this normal?!
Have both set up for this month,  hope this is not the normal issues with these test.
I had the same feeling.. It didn't go away for probably a week. I believe it is from the air also. And it isnt a gassy feeling... Just pain, and if you vomit theres no reliefe! Id have it checked out if you dont feel better soon. Or just to get peice of mind! But it probably will go away.
I had an egd done on 6-26 and had 2 polyps removed. They said I had multiple polyps in my stomach but are waiting on biopsy results before doing anything to the rest. I have had this done before and had no problems. This time is totally different. My upper stomach right under my breasts feels like its in knots. Almost like it was kicked really hard. Went to the ER this morning and they didn't do anything. Said it was from removing the polyps. I also feel very nauseas at times. I know it is not from the air they put in. I can tell the difference between gas and pain. But they act as if I am crazy. Anyone else have these problems?
I feel your pain! I had my EGD on July 8 (3 days ago) and had 2 polyps removed also.  I have the same feeling...knots right below the sternum!  Just a really bad TUMMY ACHE!  I have been nauseated and even vomitted. I also hurts worse when I eat. When I swallow it feels like the food gets stuck right there at the sternum.  That is where one of the polyps was removed, but should it hurt that bad?  I'm with you!
I had endoscopy done a month ago and am still having discomfort in stomach as well as nausea that comes and goes....anyone experience this after several weeks?  am starting to be concerned about this.
I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy yesterday at about noon. The whole thing seemed to go smoothly, after which I ate lunch (on my way home from the hospital). Dr. said my large intestine was clear, no sign of any problems, but my stomach showed some inflammation and that he took some samples for biopsy, and that I was to start prilosec today. About 3:30PM yesterday I started getting rythmic stomach pains, took Maalox after checking with doc's office, then TUMS after speaking with doc. Still no relief. Ate a filling dinner as I was really hungry (a good sign) and then pains returned. Drank a bottle of water after taking more Maalox and TUMS and got to sleep. Woke this morning about 6AM from a bad dream (Elton John had died!:(  ), to more pain, which I'd describe as shooting (as in acid) pains in intervals from the left side of my stomach, worse than any I've had from taking advil in the past. I'm going to call the dr.'s office at 9AM and go in for an x-ray.
I had an endoscopy today 18th Aug and it was awfull i was told i wouldnt feel anything and i felt everything the dr told me to swallow and he pushed it in before i swallowed! my stomache feels bloated now 8 hours on im very windy and need to keep burping but the main problem is my throat its so sore i can barely swallow is it normal for the throat to be so sore? no one told me it would hiurt at all afterwards? i was told maybe i might feel bloated but not have throat pain. im worried sick!
i had an endoscopy last year my throat hurt like hell after the test it took about 48 hours for the feeling to go i was supposed to have another one on 15th aug  i went for the test with all good intentions even had sedation but i couldnt tolerate it so didnt go through with it  so now got to have barium meal they will have to proper put me to sleep if they want to do this test because its horrible  but throat pain is completely normal  drink plenty of water this helped me  and suck ice cubes good luck
I had an endoscopy yesterday (21st August) as I have been in pain since having a lunch infection starting febrary.

Taken into hospital via ambulance twice where they said it was gastric, pain every day, 40g omerprazole.

Had the scan, doc said everthing normal, although taken a biopsy. Feeling extremly confused, still in alot of pain.

Any ideas????
What I ment to say was I had a lung infection, not lunch sorry. LOL

The pain I experience is pain in the chest, hiccups everyday, (1 every hr or 2), pain in the duodenal area and under my right rid, so much so it takes my breath. Acid reflux also and quiet windy.

Anyone else experience these symptons?
I had an upper endoscopy yesterday after months of continuous belching seemingly stemming from an incident in March (which involved chest pain, faint feeling, extreme weakness, neurological manifestations with arm/shoulder tingling = 2 ER visits, complete cardio work-up). Any way, the Dr. found gastritis, duodenitis, a gastric ulcer and sprue like changes in the duodenum.
I hadn't had any pain for a couple of months but now I have back pain between the shoulders, stomach pain right below the sternum and even more severe belching, all of which seem to come in 'waves' or episodes that last seconds and occur with varying frequency.
Can anyone relate? How long did it take for the pain to go away!?
Thanks for your comment i dont blame you at all theres no way i'd ever have anthother endoscopy NO WAY it was awfull its been a week now and my throat still hurts! im always burping and dr didnt find anythingbut my troat hurts like hell and my neck is sore i thunk im just in need of a new neck!
I just had the simple endoscopy because I have had trouble swallowing. Personally I think they tell everyone it doesn't hurt afterward because no one would ever have it done. Unfortunately I also have pancreatitis and woke up to a horrid attack. Not a great start to the simple procedure.
I then started with pain in my throat and chest and stomach. I could hardly drink water and eating was like rocks going down my throat. It still feels as if I have a lot of spasms starting from when I try to swallow all the way down to my stomach. Of course the Dr. says don't worry about it but it hurts like hell. I feel like all's I can do is whine and complain. And yes to Prolapsed, my neck hurts to the touch as well. I did have many polyps removed and they stretched my esophagus. I am hoping things will be ok within the next few days but it isn't looking very good. Lots of spasms all up and down my throat as well as pain. I wish DRs. would just tell the truth about what to expect so I don't think I am losing what is left of my mind! Good wishes to you all out there who are suffering some sort of pain or issue that "cannot be explained"! I feel for you..... Keep the faith, smiling at you all,
Ladymac
I just posted a question about the upper endoscopy but guess I should have read down a little further for this post..... I feel awful after it.  Sore kinda of swelling feeling in my throat and in my chest.  And some nausea which I assumed was from the anesthesia (?) but maybe not.
My husband, who now is 30years old had a colonoscopy and EGD the same day for stomach pain and rectal bleeding. Luckily, the test came back ok...just gastritis and bleeding ulcers in the colon. And that has been his only health problem. As soon as he was awake from the colonoscopy and EGD, he reported back pain, no stomach, throat or rectal discomfort just mild back pain. The dr said that was common after those procedures. At his follow up appointment (to get his biopsy reports, which thankfully was negative) he told the dr that he was still having the back pain, but it had gotten worse. Three days after that appointment, he fell in the floor in pain. I took him to the dr and they did a MRI which showed that he had a two bulging and one herniated lumbar disc. His neurosurgen said it wasn't severe enough for surgery and that he would have to learn to deal with the pain.Two years later he still has back pain. He can't lift anything heavy. He can't sit or stand for long periods of time without being in pain, and he can't play ball with our boys. I don't know how this could have happened, except for this procedure. He had not experienced any type of back pain prior to having the colonoscopy and EGD.  Have any of you had a similar experience, or now if this procedure can cause this type of back problems?
My guess is that your husband had the disc problem but didn't realize it.  My husband has them and was told he had had them for a while but something finally aggravated them enough to make them bulge and have the pain.  Now about once a year or so he has a problem with them.  Maybe the colonoscopy was enough to make the discs finally flare up.  

Had colonoscopy & EDG 3 months ago, no pain, had another EDG yesterday to figure out why I was having pain in mid chest area, and today I can barely move, this is not a gassy feeling, its as though I had major surgery.  My throat is red and torn up, every time I cough or take a deep breath my stomach hurts.
You have got to love the Dr.s no one can give you a straight answer.  Had my EDG, that doctor comes out and says everything looks good.  Then in the hospital room another doctor comes in and says you are having spams from the hiatal hernia they found... what hernia they found...I thought everything was "good"...Which is is?  
Do doctors purposely try to confuse us?  It's bad enough that it could take years for them to discover what is "wrong"  with us.  Then they act like it's your fault for not telling them.   Good luck everyone.
i had colonoscopy and EDG yesterday and my throat down to my breastbone is killing me. They found gastric erosions, never said what that meant, of course biopsy wont be back for week.  ALso have bad diarrea (diarrhea) , dont know why, haven't eaten in three days!
so does anyone who had the pain ever get results, and how long did it last?
This may sound silly and it is somewhat of a longshot, but I wonder if there is any way that your husband may have fallen off the operating table during the procedure and landed on his back. If that did happen, it is possible that the doctor would not have admitted to the incident. I mean it would be awfully embarassing for a doctor to admit that he accidentally let a patient fall off the table during a procedure. I know that scenario sounds like a longshot, but I can't think of any other possible reason as to why the back pain would have begun right after the procedure.
Was this a normal endoscopy or did they have to dilate your esophagus or anything else. I have had a colonscopy and 2 endoscopy so far. I do have pain after my endoscopy but they have had to stretched/dilate my esophagus as well. They have been able to give me morphine for this pain and within 3 days it is gone but discomfort starts. A lot of fluid and relieving gas helps. I didn't think the pain was gas but it does help. You stomach can take in air while they do the procedure as well. Just a thought.
I had both an endoscopy and a colonoscopy yesterday. For the most part, everything went smoothly. I had no pain during the procedures. I was obviously not awake during the procedures. Both procedures combined took about 40 minutes. I was only asleep for about 45 minutes. When I woke up, I felt fine and did not have any pain. Different doctors use different anesthesias. In my case, an anesthesiologist administered the medication. I don't know for sure whether all doctors use an anesthesiologist but I assume they do. The anesthetic that was used on me was called Diprivan. The medication was "titrated in small, slow increments using the patient's appearance, vital signs, and oxygen saturation as a guide to anesthesia (due to anxiety/expected procedural pain)."
     That sounds like a good way of applying the anesthetic. They basically monitor you throughout the procedure and only give you as much as you need. When I woke up, I was totally lucid. I am glad that my doctor does not use that drug Versed which gives you amnesia.
      Anyway, I have no sore throat and my rear end is not sore either. I do feel a couple of slight pains internally in the chest and stomach. I'm trying to figure out if it is from the biopsies or if it just my imagination. I mean I was having some stomach discomfort for the last couple of months and that is why I had the procedures done. I'm not sure if I am feeling the same pain or a tiny bit more pain from the biopsies.
      The doctor who did the procedures on me had done over 10,000 endoscopies and colonoscopies. I think it is very important to go to a doctor that has alot of experience. Or if not, I would at least want a doctor who was referred by a friend who has had the procedure done by that doctor and who had no complications.
       I'm hearing alot of horror stories on here about the procedures. I think it depends alot on the doctor. I have talked to 5 different friends that have had the procedures and none of them had any problems during or after the procedures. None of them had sore throats or sore rear ends after the procedures. Despite that, I was still a bit nervous going in because my friends all had different doctors. I didn't have a patient referral to the doctor that I was going to. He was recommended to me by another doctor. But I did know that he had done the procedures over 10,000 times, so that gave me some confidence.
        Anyway, I would be very careful in choosing a  doctor. There are alot of incompetent doctors out there. I would definitely try to get some type of strong recommendation before I would go to any doctor for any type of procedure.
Has anyone been awake for this procedure? Everyone I have spoken with was not but I was.
I had a colonoscopy and EGD on 9/30.  I have had no problems from the colonoscopy and the Dr did remove some polups(sp????)  I am concerned that I still have somewhat of a sore throat and lots of neck pain and just feel lousy.  Also the Dr said I had some lesions in my esophogus that he took a byopsy of.  That has me real concerned.   Does anyone have info about lesions in the esophogus

As far as the procedure itself, that was fine.  I think I slept through the EGD but was more awake for the colonoscopy and watched everything.
I have had 9 days to reflect on my endoscopy and colonoscopy. I definitely had a little bit of pain from the biopsies. It only lasted for about 2 days but I definitely had a couple of sore spots. I felt a slight stinging in a couple of spots, one in my chest and one in my stomach. I am almost positive that it was from the biopsies.
I had an endoscopy and colonscopy about 5 weeks ago and am still sore from the endoscopy - was awake throughout the whole procedure which I didn't find too bad but afterwards was in a great deal of upper stomach pain and vomited a lot.  Nothing at all was found which was very good but still feel very sore around midriff and at times very nauseous - biopsies normal as far as I know. Have got to see gastroenterologist again beginning of November - hope symptoms have improved by then, no problems with throat - sympathies to all of you out there, this is posted from England, near London.
I know I will be going for the Endoscopy and Biopsy soon.  Before the procedure gets done, I am going to bring Peppermint oil or ask them to spray the device.  Why? To reduce MUSCLE SPASMS.  I have read so much on this it's incredible.
I am scheduled for a EGD and a Colonoscopy next week, I am REALLY nervous.  My cousin has to have them all the time because of her colitis and stuff.  She sees it's not a big deal, just that the prep is an inconvinience.  But I am reading on here and getting scared, did anyone have a "normal" experience?  
i'm sorry i don't want to scare you.
You can either meditate, if you're able.
but my best advice is to have the procedure under general anasethic.
it can be done, despite the medical prof' advising you it can't.
i had my first EGD without one and i was so stressed they agreed to do it under ga.
convince them you're a bag of nerves.

Colonoscopy, i didn't find too bad
good luck and be assertive, it's your body
regards
kudos42
Just had my first endoscopy on Friday, 3/6 and just making sure my symptoms are normal.,,,felt okay right after surgery but now feeling chest discomfort, throat soreness, and just really tired.....I know I am probably reading into all of these.....just need some reassurance.....thanks good luck if you have to have one b/c i will never again
I had endoscopy, and colonoscopy yesterday. Have mild pains in left ribcage especially when i breath deeply. I expect this is normal, and is not really bad. To anybody awaiting these procedures please dont listen to the scaremongers here. These are extremely safe and nothing to be scared about. There is minimal discomfort and at the end of the day they can detect anything sinister before it can take hold. Your health is your wealth, have them done.
I too had and endoscopy today (my first). Except for a little bloating all was fine after the procedure. However 4 hours later its hard to swallow, my throat hurts and I still feel somewhat bloated. But based on all the comments here it seems that is the norm. I will try to post updates to create a fuller story,
Follow up:

three days later and I'm fine. The first night was horrible. I was totally bloated and wanted to throw up but it felt like one of those bile type regurgitation's and I could not will myself to do it. Also, when ever I had to belch, my chest had a painful spasms. Some pain meds helped me get some needed rest. The procedure was in the afternoon and of course you can't eat before the procedure and due to all the bloating I was not hungry after the procedure.

In any event, the next Day the spams were still there but the pain was down more than 50 percent. The need to throw up was still there but not as persistent. I still felt like I needed to let out a huge belch but I was feeling far more comfortable

Yesterday the spams were reduced to just a slight annoyance and the gas in my stomach was finally released  . . . . but not through a belch :-)

today both my chest and throat feel a little sore but I feel pretty much back to normal. Still, I don't think I will undergo this procedure in the future.
I had an EGD with dilation yesterday.  Today I am having such pain around my kidney area.  Has anyone else had this happen?  I had one several years ago and felt absolutely fine.
I had this precedure done awhile back and was told that it was from the gas that they used to blow up the stomach area. I think that the doctor  gave me glencerin(spelled?) suppositories and that helped alot.
Hi everyone,
It's refreshing to find this forum.  I had an EGD with maximum dilation and biopsies done three days ago.  This is my third and the previous two have been unremarkable.  I woke up from the procedure with severe spasms from the top of my esophagus down to the bottom of my rib cage.  I couldn't take in any water or ice chips due to the extreme pain when I tried to swallow (even saliva).  The next day I went to the ER, on my docs instruction.  The pumped me full of versed, which dropped the pain level from an 8 to a 6.
After x-ray and CT, negative for perforation, they gave me another IV dose of versed and sent me home with a prescripton for Percocet. My doc says he has never heard of such a thing. He said maybe he dilated me too much, or possibly scraped or gauged my esophagus. Regardless, he hopes that time will see it disipate.  Until then, it's minimal eating or drinking due to the pain, and disolving pain meds in my mouth every 3-4 hours. The pain has gotten slightly better, until I try to swallow, then I feel like I'm having a heart attack. And, I can hardly take a deep breath.  Not happy!
BTW, the biopsy came back with eosinophillic esophaghitis.  Still researching that. I can't find a connection to that and the spasms and pain I'm experiencing now.
Any ideas?
Thanks and good health to you all,
Jill
I had both procedures on the same day (endoscopy and colonoscopy). The colonoscopy was a routine check up but the endoscopy was done due to my periodically choking on food and slight indigestion from time to time.  I had the procedures done on April 18th and it's now May 31st and I'm still feeling an uncomfortable, sometimes painful feeling in my upper stomach.  It feels like there is a knot in my stomach.  I have to take pepcid ac or nexium to relieve the discomfort. I was told after the endoscopy that there was inflammation in my esophagus and stomach and that i have a hiatal hernia. My question is why do I have more pain and discomfort now than I did prior to this procedure? When I asked the dr. about it I was told that the endscopy could not have caused this problem and to continue taking the nexium. I don't want to become dependent on nexium or any other antacid type meds. I am already taking lipitor daily which I hate doing.  I just want to know why I am having more discomfort after the procedure than i did prior to having it.  Does anyone have any idea?
So glad I found this site.  I had my first endoscopy yesterday and the procedure went fine - no pain at all.  The worst part was getting the IV in.  I felt pretty good for the remainder of the day.  (I was done by 9:00 a.m., so had most of the day remaining.)  Last night, however, was HORRIBLE!  I hardly slept due to the pains in my stomach and behind my sternum.  Today was bad as well.  I couldn't understand why I felt so much worse today than I did yesterday.  After reading these posts, though, it sounds like it's pretty common.  I am having pains down in my stomach area, under my left rib and various other spots in my abdomen - sometimes associated with eating and other times just hurting for no apparent reason.  My throat hurts today, but did not yesterday.  I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia with the acid reflux.  A couple of biopsies were taken as well, and I'm thinking the miscellaneous pains may be at those sites.  Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day!
Today i went and had the endoscopy and biopsy at around 2pm. The exsperiance was horrible. I had the throat spray (I dont know which was worse), The endoscopy or throat spray. Anyway to all who are going to have the small op, yes it is not a pleasant exsperiance at all. The posative is,  you get to watch and it does not take that long 10 minutes if that. My only worry is the pain i am exsperiancing now. It is 11.25pm. I can not sleep , drink hardly breath as i have this stabing pain/Acid burning pain deep in my stomach. I have been sick twice. I am not sure myself if this is normal. I have looked at a few sites on goole to see if i can find any answers, only these sites have made me worry and confused even more.I have taken a omprozole, so fingers crossed the tablet soon kicks in as i dont know how much longer i can take the pain. Keep your chin up to all who feel the same as i x
oh no guys i am going for scope test in 2 weeks time and from the comments to be frank i am scared **** out!
I opt for unsedated one,and doc said the scope is about 10mm in dia.
I will post the report soon
I just had an upper endoscopy done yesterday for reoccuring abdominal pain over the last few years. They found I have Chronic Gastritis, and they did a biopsy. The thing is, my stomach never hurt nearly as bad as it does today [the day after the endoscopy]. I'm not belching or flatuating, which I'm guessing I would be doing if the pain was related to the air in my stomach. Also, the pain is radiating into my back. It's just awful! Should i call a Doctor? On a lighter note, my throat doesn't hurt in the least.
Today is September 8, 2009.  Because of some chronic abdominal discomfort during the last two months I had both a colonoscopy and endoscopy on the same day, the morning of September 4.  Because of the sedation I have no memory of the procedures.  I awoke and seemed OK.  For the rest of that day I felt OK, no pain anywhere -- but I suspect that was because the demerol was still masking some pain.  The next day the middle of my upper abdomen (above the belly button and below the sternum) was almost constantly sore. The pain also seemed like a cramping or a pinching -- it is hard to put in words what the pain was.  I knew the doctor had taken some tissue for biopsy, so I tried to assuage myself by thinking that the pain was probably from where the tissue was taken and tried to accept the pain, but it kind of depressed me too.  The next day, Saturday, there was some improvement. On Sunday, I was just a little better.  On Monday about the same as Sunday.  Today is Tuesday and my abdomen still does not feel normal, and at random times that "cramping" or "pinching" feeling will come for a few seconds and the diminish or go away -- for awhile. I called the office where the procedure was done to tell them about my condition, and they said the doctor would call me back in the afternoon -- but he did not.  I will try again tomorrow. I am not happy about the soreness after the endoscopy, especially since I was feeling completely normal for the five days prior to the colonoscopy and endoscopy -- so I thought I was finally getting better.  But now I am have this soreness that is different than the other times during my chronic abdominal discomfort. But, since others here have said they had abdominal soreness for days after their procedure, maybe what I am experiencing is not alarming.

Had both Colonoscopy and EDG with Biopsies Three months ago for Abd bloating and Hypylori positive in blood test.  Have had Reflux and continuous belching for two months now without any remedy.  dr seem to associate things with post antibiotics treatment but this was not there before the procedure.  Very concerned right about now...

Is there any test or  MRI that can reveal any expansion of the junction of the stomach and esophagus?  The reflux and belching gas or air is hindering my daily function and work as a singer...
Today is 10/9/09, yesterday I had an EGD and everything seemed to be ok until I got home and the meds wore off. It feel like a constant cycle of chest pain that radiates throughout my left chest cavity and I can even feel it in my back in the same spots as I feel it in the front. It kind of feels like gas because like I said it radiates and moves, but I don't really recall having feeling gas like this before. I call my Dr. about 3hrs. ago and he said take some antacids because its probably erosion or acid from my stomach. Um, NO. I know what that feels like and that's not it. It's not a burning sensation or heart burn, but it feel like pain/gas moving through the middle of my chest and around my left chest cavity. Has anyone experienced this or have any clue to what I'm talking about??
I had an EGD on Thurs....it is now Sunday night.  I too was fine after the procedure until the next day.  I have pain when swallowing and eating.  The pain is in my mid-chest.  I was dx with a hiatal hernia and multiple biopsies were taken but I did not have any pain when eating before this procedure.  I am wondering when it will go away so I can eat normally again.  
Just to follow-up.  It is now Friday...over one week after my EGD.  Ironically, the sternum pain that radiates to my back is most likely cause from my gallbladder.  I had an ultrasound on Wednesday and they found a lot of gallstones.  I had a HIDA scan today and am waiting for the results.  I see a surgeon on Monday. I wonder if a lot of reasons people get the EGD end up being the gallbladder.  Mine was chest pain (bottom of my sternum) that radiated into my back between my shoulder blades.  
EGD procedure the morning of Nov 6, 2009.  Two biopsies were performed because of small reddish erosion the doctor found in the stomach area. Afterwards that day, No throat pain.

That same night I woke up with more than a slight discomfort (pain) in my upper stomach area just below the sternum, and also in my lower stomach area.  My stomach feels bruised, and is quite active (growling).  

Still burping air, and some stomach discomfort on Nov 9

I think this is normal, and it is starting to get better.  
Follow-up:  Well, my HIDA scan showed that my gallbladder was working 0% and I had some pain in my lower sternum area and right back during the HIDA test.  I had my gallbladder out one week ago today.  It went really well and I feel a lot better.  I am still recovering from surgery but I can eat and drink without pain in my chest and back.  If the EGD and Heart workup does not seem to find your pain don't forget to have the doctor check your gallbladder (simple ultrasound and HIDA test).  The ED doctor (Oct 28) thought it was the Barratts they found during the EGD that was causing my pain but it wasn't.  Glad my GI doctor was on top of it.
I had the upper endoscopy yesterday morning.  This is the third one since 1977.  The first one I was totally awake and don't recall much about how I felt later...too long ago.  The second was in 1987 which was while I was having horrid pain which later was discovered to be my gall bladder which was then removed.  Have no recollection of the post-procedure either due to other pain I was in.  Fast forward to today, a day after my third one.  WOW...I was not prepared for the throat pain, chest pain and mid stomach pain I am having.  It hurts to drink and eat and taking tylenol is really hard.  I called the post-op hotline but have not heard back yet.  My husband says the nurse said most people suffer pain and discomfort for 2-3 days afterwards. Of course I have no memory of this discussion as I was given versed.  Have a hefty cough as well...which had been resolved before the procedure.  Will check back in in a few days to let you know how this progressed.  
I had the procedure done yesterday. I am also feeling the nausea and below the sternum pain. I talked to my Dr. today, they had me double my dose of Prilosec for a few days. They said that it could be a reaction of not having the meds in my system for a few days ( I had to stop taking it 3 days prior to the procedure) They said to call back if not feeling better by friday. I luckily have not had a sore throat.. According to my Dr these symptoms are common due to a foreign object being inside the body and air passed through. It takes your body a few days to adjust back. If your taking meds this could be an issue to, lack of the meds that were once preventing the discomfort. Hope this helps!
I had a non-sedated Upper GI endoscopy done about 7 hours ago.

The only thing less comfortable than this experience is a dry mount, and not by much.

The doctor stated that I had a harder than usual time due to the size of my hiatal hernia. I wretched constantly throughout the latter half of the procedure, physically attacked the doctor to try to get him to remove the tube.

I am now experiencing alot of esophageal discomfort, but not so much stomach discomfort as of yet. It is reassuring to see that this is a common side-effect to the procedure after how unexpectedly unpleasant the procedure was.

If I would've known that the procedure was going to go like this, there is no way on earth that I would've opted to do it while away from home.
I had both Colonoscopy and EDG with Biopsies 6 days ago, I had anathesia and I don't remember one thing about the surguy. The only problems I had was once I woke up I threw up from the anathesia, and had a very soar throat for about 3 days. Also I had cramping a weird feeling around the lining of my intestins. My only question is i am still so bloated, I dont know if this is because of the air they put into me or what.
But I had the best doctor ever, he was kind, and has checked on me many times the following days.
I just had my 2nd upper endoscopy in 7 years by the same dr and I still am suffering from a severe sore throat and cough after 6 days from the procedure. The first UE was uneventful. This is considered a severe complication from research I have done online.  I went to my ENT on the 3rd day post/UE and he said  to give it another 3-4 days and it will get better.  That would bring it up to about a week after I had the procedure. The ENT said to call him back if it was not better.  I hope he is right that it will get better.  I do see a little improvement but not much. I have been drinking lots of hot tea with honey and sucking down the lozenges like there is no tomorrow plus taking ibuprofen.  I urge EVERYONE who is having complications from either an UE or colonoscopy who is not getting satisfaction from their doctor that did the procedure to seek out another doctor immediately or go to the ER.  It could be life-threatening - you have to be your own best friend and advocate.  

Good luck and better health to all.

TISH VICTORIA
I just got an EGD yesterday and have felt pain in the center of my upper back since. It feels almost like a pocket of gas in my esophagus that becomes very painful a few seconds after I swallow. Has anyone else experienced this? It sends waves of pain each time I swallow any liquid or solid and is constantly uncomfortable. I'm also fairly gassy. If anyone has experienced this feeling please reply to me.  
i had my second EGD yesterday (mar 8) and the dr. did remove some polyps for a biopsy. she also found a hiatal hernia. i felt fine before and after, but a few hours later i started feeling pain in my throat and esophagus (on left side, mid-chest) especially when swallowing, eating, and feeling my reflux acting up. It feels like a big scratch down my throat/esophagus which is probably what it is. either from the scope, or from the biopsy. i have left a message for the doc but no reply yet. it seems from this message board that it might be normal for a couple of days, but it'd be nice for the doc to assure me! I had none of these problems with my first EGD but there were no biopsies done.
forgot to say also, i think it is worth doing the test, even with the discomfort afterwards, it's better to find out what's going on inside, in case it can develop into cancer etc.
I had my second Endoscopy yesterday.  The first time, 6 years ago, I had no problems.  Came home felt fine.  This time I tried to eat and had the severe back pain between my shoulder blades everytime I swallowed.  Same things today but ibuprofen seems to help a little, along with taking small bites of food and taking a deep breath after swallowing.  Looked it up on the internet and it sounds like it may be caused by damage to the muscle behind the esophagus and could last a few weeks!  I guess I won't be doing too much snacking in the next few weeks.
I had a upper endoscopy today and it was a piece of cake.  I was sedated but awake during the procedure but the medication that they use causes a bit of amnesia so I don't really remember much.  I do remember some parts of the test but I was never really stressed.  It's hard to think that they can pass a tube into your small intestine and you don't remember it.
Let me add my two cents to this discusion.  I had my endoscopy Tuesday morning, April 20th.  It was my third endoscopy (the last one in 2004).  The goal was simply to check on how my reflux had responded to medication after six years.  The good news was that all looked good from a reflux standpoint.

They knocked me out for this procedure (I have had one done while awake in the past, and WOULD NOT recommend it....scared the heck out of me).  I felt great after this procedure and for several hours afterward.  However, about 10-12 hours after the procedure I developed pain in my throat when I swallow.  It's now day 3 and I still have that pain, and it doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

I tend to get very anxious about my throat so I fear that this is all in my head, but it's comforting to hear people providing similar comments from their experience.

The doctor indicated only potential "minor sore throat pain" for about 24 hours.  We're well past that, and that's what gets me nervous.  I'm trying to trust that this is a normal pain after the procedure, and maybe the scope scratched my esophagus.  

I'll try to update this post as the days progress...for those of you (like me) who would like to hear some closure on the issues of concern that are raised in the above posts.  
hello im only 15 and had an endoscopy yesterday to try and find the cause of my agonising stomach pains and my bringing up blood everyday scince january. i got mine done in an adult hospital using the adult size camera i diddnt find it to bad until it had been in my stomach for about 5 mins thats when i started to rech because i couldnt swallow my salivia i was fully awake with no sedation at all i had some vile banana thoat spray which nummed my throat slightly it was aggonising i got very upset during it but managed they told me they had taken 4 biopsys from four different places in the recovery place they told my mum that because of the biopsys i would have more pain in my tummy than usual. so thats likely the pain you have too and the sore throat is also rather painfull :) at the minute i am bed bound and cannot move due to my pain but im told it will go away in a coulple of days fingers crossed
Had upper endoscopy one month ago to check for abdominal pain and soon started feeling a lump in my throat.  I called the doctor but the receptionist said it was 'normal'.  But I have continued to have pain in my throat after eating, especially after dinner.  The ensuing anxiety is also keeping me awake at night.
I'm soooo happy I found this site. Now I know it's not just me and the things I'm feeling are typical. Of course the nurse that called to check on me the day after surgery, says she's never heard of anyone having pain and a sore throat after an EGD. Hmmmmm....
I thought all had went well, except for the news that I'd had a biopsy removed because of some "suspicious" cells. That's one thing they shouldn't tell you and then leave you hanging for a week until you get the resutls. That evening I felt fine, ate well with no problems. The next day the sore throat started and oh my I'd never felt so bloated and gassy in my life! That's subsided but the sore throat and chest pains won't let up. The acid reflux was relatively quiet before the procedure, but now it's in high gear. Swallowing is challenging and the general fatigue is annoying. I wish the medical community would be straight up about the discomfort that my occur and give us ways to deal with it other than going to every medical site on the web and looking for answers. I hope all who've been through this is well.
i just had a endoscopy and know i am belching after i eat or drink its embarassing, is there somethink they did to me i never have had this before
I just had an endoscopy and biopsy on 7/6/10- which revealed I had H.Pylori and have completed my two weeks medication for this. I was fine after the proceedure except for stomach cramps and bloatness. But a ten days after the proceedure, I noticed difficulty swallowing (especially my saliva), lump like/worm like feeling in my throat. I had a barium swallow test and they said there was no problem with my throat except for too much gas in my stomach which could be causing the knot-like feeling/difficulty swallowing in my throat. The pain is still there and it's worse at night; with difficulty breathing/irregular heartbeats. I am so petrified and find it difficult to sleep. I was told that there were no side effects with the endoscopy and quite agree with everyone that the doctors should be truthfull with patients, and this will help us have some peace of the mind when experiencing these symptoms. I have an appt with the consultant in two weeks and will keep you all posted. But I wish everyone the best and keep well. Hch
I was not put to sleep for this procedure. The lidocaine spray pretty much felt like oven cleaner and smelled like it, too. My doc went through my nose and down my throat, into my stomach and over to my duedoduem..spelling??

I ate pretty quickly after it was over and I felt find then, but oh my goodness, my left side is killing me, some sharp pains that shoot over to my right side.

This was a horrid procedure, but necessary, so I hung in there and prayed that I did not gag. If this pain in my left side doesn't stop, I am heading to the ER soon.

I see a lot of people had a bad reaction to this test, and I feel less like a whiner now. I hope everyone is okay!!
I am so glad that I found this site. I had an EGD yesterday and felt pretty good afterwards. I did gag a lot through the procedure and do remember the doctor telling me I was okay and the nurse held my hands down to stop me from trying to take the probe out. BUT, today I feel horrible. I actually thought that I was having a heart attack at one point. I have had severe middle of the chest pains that have radiated to my left side. It hurts to eat anything. I took Alieve to help my upper, middle back pain that I did not have until after the procedure. That did not help. The pain comes and goes and changes depending on my sitting or standing position. If I lay on my stomach, I feel better. If I sit for too long, I start to hurt. I found this post and now feel relieved. My doctor never warned me of any of these after effects. Not that it would have changed my mind about having the procedure, but at least I would have been prepared for the day after. My procedure only lasted 5 minutes and they only confirmed my Hiatal Hernia. Everything else was fine. I hope these pains subside or I may be on a TUMMS diet for a while.
I just wanted to update everyone. The pain only lasted one day, and I am back to normal. YaYa!
oh no this thread scarees meh

Next time go to the health food store or order ahead of time online at vitacost.com and get some Lily of the Valley liquid Aloe Vera Stomach Formula.  It will help heal and coat your throat, esophagus and stomach.  Also, purchase some probiotics or eat plain yogurt.  

Mayo clinic has a write up online regarding perforation and symptoms......it is very serious and don't let anyone make you feel bad for being concerned.

Good luck to you all.
Had my 2nd upper endoscopy yesterday. I had my 1st in 2006, no biopsy. I did have a biopsy yesterday as a precaution.

The thing is, for this 2nd one, I was awake the entire time. The nurse asked my if I was a "lightweight" when he was preparing my meds. I said, I don't know.

I  could even feel the scope all the way down to my stomach -- and probably even my duodenum. Yikes. It was not cool. Today I am sore and feeling a bit angry. Especially after my doc snapped at me in the post op. I told one of the nurses that I remembered it all and she had the nerve to say, Oh, well, there's probably parts you don't remember.

I remember the insertion, the stomach, the doc saying he was taking a biopsy and telling the nurse/assistant when to activate the tools, and the pulling out of the tube. I remember clenching down and the feeling of the tube in my throat. I remember it all.

If you're having this procedure just make sure they sedate you properly. If they ask, tell them you're a heavyweight. I thought they could get a better idea by using body weight/age/height, etc. This is like asking how many ounces of special sauce you prefer on your Big Mac, or exactly how much Maalox does it take to soothe your heartburn...Ugh!!

Anyway, nobody cares and I'm very uncomfortable. I attribute this to consciously flexing and gagging on the tube. The first one I had was no big deal at all.

Don't be afraid. Just make sure you get enough drugs. Whatever that means.
I'm 37 and I've been experiencing chronic nausea and extreme fatigue and weight loss for 7 years now, besides general diffused pains and a very temperamental digestive system. Just had both endoscopy and colonoscopy with no anesthesia this past Tuesday. Never again without anesthesia let me just say that. The docrors biopsied an unidentified 'growth' in my stomach and I'm due for the capsule camera to check my whole intestine at some point over next weeks after the results from the biopsy are in. I don't want to relive the experience which anyway many of you have described already...so I won't go into the details of the ordeal, but on top of all the pain many of you have reported here, which i'm only starting to recover from as of today, the limph nodes around my neck and jaw swell up dramatically during the endoscopy and just stayed that way. I mean..ballooned to the size of tangerines! They stayed swollen until last night and today (3 days later) it's pretty marginal tho they're still bigger than usual. My glands weren't enlarged before these tests, has anyone else had the same experience? I can't find any reference to this anywhere. The doctor didn't seem too worried about it and said it would have come down soon...or maybe she was just playing it down until she can have some more definite answers to give me. I dunno.
Good luck everyone.
ila
I had my first endoscopy/colonoscopy yesterday after having constipation, diahrrea, stomach pain, heart burn, and fullness feeling too soon after eating.  Polyps were removed from my stomach.  The prep was the worse.  I was totally knocked out and don't remember any of the procedure.  I was totally scared because of all i read.  Make sure you go to good specialist.  The one I went to insisted i wouldn't feel or remember anything and would only do it under sedation and pain medicine.  I felt pain that night where the polyps were removed and the next day,which is to be expected.  sort of like a bad stomach ache.  I also had gas pains, which made it feel like my chest was hurting.  But it is gradually getting better.  The best advice:  Do your research, insist on pain medicine and sedation, research what they will use on you and its effectiveness and side effects.  No one should be awake for these procedures or have pain.
I  am 27 yrs old, and have been suffering from stomach issues for 2 years now. I finally had my first endoscopy done 2 days ago. The procedure itself was very quick and easy. I received a light sedative and was alert throughout the whole procedure. I was a bit tired and groggy after my test, but went home and had a great nap.

I started having stomach pains that evening and they seemed to get worse as the night went on. I slept very little the first night. It felt like really bad cramps in my stomach and woke me up on several occassions. The next morning I woke up feeling better, but as the day went on, the pains in my stomach/chest returned.

I would describe my pains as crampy, gas pains in my stomach. I feel very bloated as well. After reading all the posts, I feel a bit relieved knowing other people have experienced the same problems. What concerns me though is that I have this sharp pains that radiates in the center of my stomach and shoots up my chest wall. It will last a couple of seconds each time. It is almost as though the gas is moving in sharp pains.

I have not been able to pass much gas since the procedure, and have yet to have a bowel movement. Could these sharp pains in my stomach/chest be associated with the gas that is trapped. Unfortunately it is 3 am as I type this. Not able to sleep due to the shooting pains that wake me up. Hoping it will feel better in the am. I suspect I will be taking a trip to the Doc just for piece of mind. Here's to hoping it is just bad gas and will pass soon.
This thread is getting dated, but there will never be a shortage of people needing Endo/Colo scopes seeking advice...here is my experience.
I had an endo-colo yesterday, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still not great.  The doctor/nurses told me I would not sleep through the procedure but would have an altered state of awareness and be 'very comfortable'.  I was terrified before the procedure b/c I was hoping to just be knocked out.  Being so worked up before the procedure makes it harder for the meds (versed/demerol) to work, so try to calm down and do some deep breathing!!!
I don't remember the whole procedure, but what I do remember is gagging repeatedly while the endoscope was moved forward and the doctor telling me to 'just breathe'- which I was, but every time I took a breath I gagged!!  I remember being uncomfortable while the colonscope was inserted, seeing pictures of my colon on the big screen, and pinching-like pain when the scope was moved forward and biopsies were taken.  So while I only have a few minutes of memories, it made me think twice about doing these procedures again.  The doctor and nurse were very nice, they comforted me, and even put on some soothing music during the procedure, but if I have to do this again, I will probably try to find a GI specialist that will give me meds to sleep in addition to the demerol/versed combo.
I slept almost all day after it was over, and passed a lot of gas (which they pump into you).  Don't hold it in, you will feel better faster to let it out.  For those of you who are having chest pains, don't hesitate to contact your doctor, but also consider that gas pains from your stomach and intestines can cause HORRIBLE pain in the wierdest places. My mom is a nurse and has told me that people came into the ER seeking help for extreme shoulder and chest pain which was really just trapped gas.  I experienced this after having my appendectomy- its true!!  Hope this helps!
I am a gastroenterologist with crohn's disease.  Been in practice >20 yrs at a major university.  I have had many endoscopies, performed over a thousand, and probably will need a few more in the time remaining.  Some have gone incredibly well with no post procedure symptoms.  (I hate the prep, but that is another story and posting.)
Some have resulted in varied degrees of pain. One upper had severe back pain with swallowing.  I was very upset and worried.  My GI doc, a great MD. was surprised and after we eliminated perforation, we just watch and waited. Darn frustrating but what else can be done?
When you search the literature, there is really little on post endo pain.  Considering what is done during an endo (it is a form of surgery and certainly invasive), it is not surprising that there is pain.  
I share this so you understand that medicine is at best an inexact art.  Pain seems rare but does occur.  It can be due to a life threatening event.  But even if we tell patients that they might have pain, it doesn't change the surprise and dismay when it occurs.
I wish you all health and wellness, and an understanding of what it means to be human.  Work with your doc, most want what is best for you but we are human.
(As only an opinion, I prefer and will only accept propofol as my sedating medicine.  I have awoken during the procedure with other meds and don't want that experience again.)
I had an upper endoscopy after years of acid reflux and unbelievable pain after eating the right or wrong foods.  After 6 days of the procedure the roof of my mouth, uvila (sp), and the edges leading to my throat are still in intense pain.  Even eating soft things or liquids are extremely difficult.  It feels like I am trying to swallow nails.  It is extremely painful to say the least.  On the third day after the procedure my ears started to ache.  The ear ache is now more overwhelming than the difficulty swallowing because I can control the swallowing by not eating much.  The gastro specialist says the uvila is swollen from the suctioning they do after the procedure and to gargle with warm salt water.  If I can't swallow and are already in pain why would I want to gargle salt water?  To say the least it did not help.  I went to the medical doctor and am now taking antibiotics.  There is no doubt in my mind that I developed an infection as a result of the procedure but now I have no stomach problems because I can't eat. LOL
I had an endoscopy a year ago and woke up chocking and coughing violently.  The moron doctor and staff were rushing around and pulling tubes from me. It was a nightmare. In a matter of minutes I was wheeled out of the building and left sitting in the parking lot. I just kept crying and crying until my boyfriend picked me up. When he learned what happened he was ready to punch out the doctor. It would have been fine by me if he had. It's what the incompetent quack deserves.
  I'll never have this procedure again, nor will I have a colonoscopy. either. These tests are just moneymakers for the doctors, some of who rush through it in three minutes and are paid $400-$500 or more.  If your anaesthesiologist screws up you can end up in a coma to top things off.

I had an endoscopy and it was absolutely painless. All I had was the throat spray. It felt a bit ticklish when the air was aspirated from the stomach, but it was not at all bad. Even my throat is not sore 6 hours after the procedure.
I have had 3 endoscopies over a period of 8 1/2 yrs.  The most recent was on Jan 27, 2011.  Since then, (it is now Feb. 18) I haven't felt right.  Swollen glands, sore thoat, stomach bloating and overall discomfort, like everything is swollen from my throat, to esophagus, to my stomach and intestines.  I also have been extemely tired.  My whole digestive system is very sensitive anyway but this has seemed to make things worse.  The Dr. had me take omeprazole 2 wks. prior in case of inflamation (inflammation).  I didn't have heartburn prior to this and didn't want to take it for fear it would cause it.  I continued taking it for about 5 more days then stopped.  I was having heartburn and cramps in my lower abdoman and my bowels looked like the consistancy of a sponge.  Since I stopped taking that , that part has been fine.  But the severe fatigue has lingered, and bloating.
I hope there are some GI Drs. that read these.  A lot of us have questions as to what is normal and what should be a concern.  We get that we'll have a sore throat to one degree or another and bloating because of the air factor.  But what about the rest of it?  How can you tell if you got an infection from the actual scope or not?  We're just trusting they're doing the right thing regarding disinfecting and sterialization but how can we be sure?  It's upsetting to come out feeling worse than when you went in.  After an EUS my report said I had mild duodenitus but no info regarding it.  And the suggestion of GIST.  The info on line only speaks of this as a rare cancer that looks frightening.  I'm still waiting on the biopsies and an appt. w/ a surgeon.  This   is scarey stuff!  We need more info.!!!  
There are no GI doctors that look at this site.  You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2007.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
Semelweis posted in November 2010 that he was a GI Dr that has undergone Endoscopy several times. He concurred the MD's /GI's do not understand the variety of pains many suffer after the procedure.  I am a week past and each day seems to bring on a new problem.  From eating issues, ulcer in throat, digestive problems and fatigue I have not had a day without a new complaint.  Saw my regular MD who wants me to undergo bloodwork to see if I have some other thing going on.. and I feel too lousy to lose six vials of blood right now.  Go back to GI who scoped me in ER for a consult next week and I am worried b/c he wants scope and dilate  my strictures. I think the opramazole(sp?) I have been taking twice a day may be causing some of this discomfort.
There is no way of knowing if Semelweis is an actual doctor because he is not a registered doctor with MedHelp.  That was the only post he has written and he has not responded to any other posts giving advice, so it is true that there are no GI doctors that are registered with MedHelp (meaning we can know that they are who they say they are) currently answering questions.  I think there is a much higher likely hood of your own personal question being answered if you post it as its own post.
hi ,I had an endoscopy over two and half years ago ,and I have been terribly ill since then ,I live in Britain ,I paid to see a gastroentoligist at another hospital ,who informed me that the dr who performed the procedure had pumped too much air into my body ,and my tummy had stopped contracting properly,,I also felt him tug mer inside as he was pulling the camera out ,and he caused a hernia ,I used to be a person who loved life ,was healthy and always on the go ,now I am a woman who sits down most of the day,,crying,I lost over 3 stone in less than 6 weeks after the endoscopy ,as he had pumped so much aor into me that it felt like ymintestines had exploded inside ,and I was unable to eat or even drink water.I only wish I could turn back time ,as I would never have had the procedure done .
I feel for everyone.  I had an upper endoscope and was a bit queasy the day after and now 2 days out have a raw stomach with a few pains here and there and the queasiness comes and goes.  But I don't believe the place to find answers to questions regarding your health is on the internet. Call your doctor.
I have had many endoscopy's during the years due to ulcers. And most of them went pretty smootly, when they say you can eat normally within an hour afterwards its hogwash. For the rest of the day eat lightly. Following day eat a little less lightly slowly intro regular food at a slower pace .. It's not unusual to get heartburn after the scope after all they are fishing down your esophagus despite them using a camera / tube and air.  I had times when my ulcers were healed yet I had so much heartburn for days after the scope I just take the precausionary messure to continue to take whatever medication I was on before for a week afterwards ,It's the air that completly irritates the stomach. For the sore throat they should spray very well the ' freeze' sometimes twice will do the trick. it should feel like you can't swallow like your saliva  leak out of your mouth . You can always ask them to make sure to spray again if they only do it once .Now I have had some endoscopy without a problem and sometimes its just a gas pain and takes a few days to go away even up to a week. It makes you feel you have gastritis. And burping it's because it wont go out the other way know what i mean? . Gas got to go somewhere so if not one end of the body then the other. For pain in the throat, gargle with salt water for a few days just like a regular soar throat you may get when your sick. They even suggest some sort of cough drops even if it is so painful.

Good luck
I had my upper endoscopy on 6/30/11. I am having slight chest pain and feeling dizziness? It is been two days. Doctor says, it could be pnemonia (pneumonia). I do not agree with this. This is my 4th endoscopy in 5 years for GERD.first three did not have that much post endoscopy effect. Any help is appreciated.
I had the endoscopy and colonoscopy on 06/30/2011 also, had one polyp removed, felt fine at first but on here now trying to find out why I am having such a sharp pain in the left side of my chest. Bad when trying to sleep and also when trying to breathe. It seem normal as it is on the posts. However, it's got to be a better way to do this procedure. Also I would not recomment the Versed if that is what it is,  that causes amnesia. I will not have that again, it is not necessary to me. Memory loss is bad enough by itself let alone inducing it to get the patient to not remember the procedure. That night following the procedure I also felt a burst of anxiety that I had to calm down to be able to go to sleep. I've felt that way also after dental surgery procedure from the older knock out drug. I wish you all the best have nt heard back from the doctor as yet, his nurse is suppose to call me back. The nurse just called but now she needs to speak with the doctor.  So I will try to find some answers soon. Now, the Dr. has told the nurse to tell me to go to the ER to check out my heart to be sure it is all well with the heart. My thoughts exactly. God Bless, stay well.  
On 07/05/2011 I went to the ER like the Dr. suggested, it turned out to be gas, that was caused by the procedures. I figured it out myself after 5 hours at one hospital, I was never seen by the Dr.,  finally I left there and went to another hospital, of which ran test for nearly 5 more hours and turned up nothing that was related to the pain in the left chest area. After I left the 2nd hospital,  I took some off brand Tagamet and some off brand Mucinex and today I can breather a lot better. I had stopped the Tagamet for the procedures that was  done on 06/30/2011, thus  Endoscopy and Colonoscopy and the very next day I got the pain in the left chest area and every time I would try to breathe deeply it was as if it was cutting my wind off,  with pain. anyway thought I would write back to let you all know the update.  I pray you all feel better also. GOD Bless!
DONT BE NERVOUS!!

I had an upper endoscopy 2 months ago due to to blood in stool. they found a healed ulcer and "NSAID associated gastritis".. basically too much ibuprofen had given me an ulcer. Unfortunately they found "mild intestinal metaplasia" in the biopsy they took, which means changes in the cells. I'm reaaaally hoping the metaplasia is reversible (opinions vary). If it doesnt, then it means a higher (not high, higher) risk of eventually developing the big C....

it goes: metaplasia, dysplasia, high grade dysplasia, cancer..  obviously only some people develop from each stage to the next.. depending on severity of metaplasia, opinions vary on how often you will need to repeat endoscopy.. some people say never, some say 5 years, some say 2 years...

Anyway, endoscopy was very quick. NO sore throat and no terrible pain afterwards.. at worst i had some gas and a tummy ache for a day or so.. the worst part was when they first put it in. I was on sedatives (not anasthesia) so i was awake. And I didnt know what to expect so i panicked when they first put the tube in, i felt like i couldnt breathe and tried to fight them off me lol... they calmed me down and told me to breathe and it was fine.. you CAN breathe, just be prepared to gag at points while they're doing it...

just stay calm, dont fight it, breathe in from your nose and think happy thoughts.. expect to gag, expect to feel a couple of internal pinches here and there, then bam 10 minutes and you're done..

going for my second one tomorrow to take a couple more biopsies to check theres no other metaplasia and check up on the ucler... of course, as with anything medical, i feel nervous again, but much less so than last time.. im even considering doing it without sedative so i dont have to hang around afterwards..

the sedative is weird. i didnt realise they had sedated me cos i didnt feel sleepy or drowsy or anything.. but i realised i was when i started walking sideways loooool.. guess it depends what they use, but my sedative just made me a bit slow thats all.. no nausea no drowsniess no nothing..

Good luck to everyone.. and remeber not to panic.. i would guess that a lot of the sore throats which people get might be from fighting the endoscope going in.. if your throat closes up and the doc is trying to push it through, more likely to scratch your throat.. maybe relaxing as much as possible and letting it in smoothly will avoid that..

I have had the worst ear ache and jaw/neck pain on only one side following most of the procedures listed above which were all performed together about a week ago. I feel like the only person with this post op issue???
Hi babydoll, had endoscopy yesterday and full on chest throat and pain in breast area today. They say I shouldn't have any at all. Dr doesn't know what it is? Did you ever get relief and how long did it take did you know what caused it. Would appreciate you findings.
Hi sactogal very similar symptoms after endoscopy yesterday and biopsy. How long did it take u to get relief? And did you find out what caused it?
Had endoscopy and colonoscopy 8 days ago, still having some esophageal pain, but it's lessening... thanks to all who posted here, because it helped to know these symptoms weren't so unusual.  Have to wait 3 weeks for results of biopsies.  Already have Barrett's, so just hoping it hasn't gotten worse.  My previous endoscopies and colonoscopies were pain-free, so this was not expected to have increased heartburn, incredibly sore throat, even pain in my bum!  I think the doctor, who was late for this procedure by an hour, was in a hurry and may have forced things along..... not good!  After reading this forum, I felt I didn't need to call him to ask about this pain.  And very happy it is lessening!!!  So there is hope!!
i had it done today  october 17,2011 and yes my throat is sore and my neck looks swollen so im asumeing my tonsels are alittle swollen but yes its tight and sore but they told me this wld happen,but i keep getting panic attacks thinking im gonna stop breathing or i wont beable to swallow hope u are feeling better
I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done on Monday Oct. 17th.  I had a wonderful Dr. and anasethologist (spelling?).  I told them ahead of time that I can't even do a throat culture without gagging and they assured me that I would be fine.  Once I got into the procedure room the Dr. that gives the drugs inserted something into my I.V.  He then asked, "Do you feel anything yet?"  I said "No" and he replied, "You will".  The next thing I knew I opened my eyes and my husband was sitting next to me saying "Hello".  Which means I slept through the whole thing while they scoped both my "ends", snipped tissue for a biopsy, etc.  Now all I'm nervous about is waiting for the results.  Was extremely tired the rest of the day and spent most of my time sleeping.  Otherwise, for a coward like me, I handled it well and I know that is the result of having a great medical team.  There is no way in hell I would stay awake through something like this!!    DianeK
I read through this post before my endoscopy and was terrified, I've now had two in the past few months, second one yesterday. I did not experiance one single bad thing except I gagged when the nurse sprayed my throat. She warned me it was really nasty, it was. I had an IV, meds were started, my dr. Came in and asked if I was feeling sleepy yet, I said no, she said give her "3" well, that was the last thing I remembered until I woke up in recovery room with my family. The staff were super friendly, informed me of everything they did, what to expect and what complications could arise. My throat does not hurt, just the slightest feeling something irritated it...no gas pains, I was very sleepy and took a long nap when I got home after a great lunch out. I had two trips to the potty after waking up, pretty bad loose stools, that's it. No pain, no panic attacks, no weird things. I am 43, been through it the last couple of years, I have a gastric band that has eroded and had 4 biopsies taken yesterday. I am now scheduled for surgery with the same wonderful dr that did my endoscopy and a previous major abdominal surgery. I think first thing is you should know and TRUST your dr. If they are not kind, you should move on. But, you should be kind too, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask questions. It's your health, your body, and doctors work for YOU. I love my dr. I appreciate her and the time she takes to talk to me. She's never in a hurry. That's a wonderful rare quality. I don't know why so many on this post have had such horrible outcomes and pain, my dr said complications are 1 in 1,000 and like I said, she's one of the best. I feel great today, dreading surgery, but I need it, so no choice. I know I'm in good hands. Please know the dr and his/her credentials before you have any procedure done. Best of luck, hope all who had bad experiences have went on to lead healthy happy lives. And please know if you are reading this before having the procedure done, rarely are there any problems or pain. I know dozens of friends and family, who say it was good experience for them as well. I can't speak for those who are not sedated, it was never an option to be awake for me, so not sure why any dr would do it with a person awake unless insurance issues. I'd do it again tomorrow if I needed it, it was NO big deal. Honestly! :)
i ask this because you are a gastrologist, I have had none of the usual signs or symptoms of acid reflex, that most people speak of, i had a few chest pains that were so severe they would awaken me in the early morning hours out of a sound sleep. I went to my pcp and finally told her about them (i had just blew it off as, oh it must be gas or something) until the pain one night went up my neck and it hurt so bad, i thought my chest & neck was going to explode. anyway after going to a heart dr & being told my heart was fine, i was told i needed to have an endoscopy done for acid reflex, went had it done, after the procedure the dr said i had mild acid reflex, ok didnt think to ask anymore questions since i was still loopy from the antestia (sorry cant spell it) since that time i have had what i had thought was spasms (now im reading more & more people are experiencing SPASMS and glad to know i am right on something) and a discomfort in my chest that is maddening. is this normal?, what is wrong? and how long will this last? my friend seems to think its all in my head. oh and by the way, there was a biopsy done, but my dr never told me about it, i found out about it after i received a bill from the pathologist, when i called my dr's office, i was told its routine for him to biopy while doing this procedure, i asked her why didnt he mention that at my first consultation & why havent i had a call on the results, she said oh your biopsy came back normal your fine.
I had a bronchial endoscopy
a few days ago. Today my throat is killingme and it hurts to swallow?..what is going on?
You all made me feel a bit more relaxed. I had upper endoscopy and also endoscopic ultrasound early this morning, with biopsies of cysts or polyps at pancreas, stomach, small intestine.  Have a sheet saying that you shouldn't have any abdominal pain but I do have some. Minor gas, no belching.  And my throat soreness just kicked in about 12 hours after the thing. One tip might be that they prescribed an antibiotic for 5 days whereas on my way in, they said that I'd only get that if they'd done a bit of puncturing or something like that.  Hmmm . . . But I'm up and around, steady, so who knows?  If it still hurts tomorrow, I'll call the doctor.  But reading all of your postings was helpful.
I had a Colonoscopy and an Endoscopy about five years ago, and don't recall having any after effects from the procedures. Therefore, when I was told that I would have to have them this year, I was not concerned.

This year, I had a Colonoscopy on Nov. 4, and one week later on Nov. 11, had an Endoscopy. I was sedated both times, so felt nothing during either procedure. However, much to my surprise, I woke up in extreme pain after the Colonoscopy. I was told that the doctor removed 5 polyps and according to the photos and report, I have severe Diverticulosis. The pain was so excruciating that the nurse immediately called the Dr. to prescribe something,  which was given to me on the spot, and which did help. The discomfort and gassiness lasted a few days, and then subsided, I kept having chills, and feeling lethargic, but was able to putter around, so I felt almost back to normal. Now preparing for the second procedure; the Endoscopy, I am nonchalant, unconcerned, since I don't have to drink that stuff and do the cleansing.  This one should be a breeze ... piece of cake! First thing I am told is that my Blood Pressure is high and I have a temperature. Ah, ah! Now I know why I wasn't feeling up to par. I wake up after the Endoscopy test and I am told that the doctor has taken some biopsies and to see him in two weeks. I'm somewhat dizzy as I am still under the effects of the Anesthesia. On the way home the pain kicks in, and I am nauseated by the smell of everything. I am trying not to vomit. When I arrive home my daughter tries to feed me some ginger tea, but I can't swallow. I tell her I have to go to bed, which I do, and remained there until today Sunday suffering from stomach pains, neck pains, nausea, chills, headache, and a ringing in my ears. Oh I forgot, and an awful dry disgusting feeling in my mouth ... so I've been brushing my teeth frequently and becoming nauseous because my toothpaste suddenly smells like Marijuana (a smell which I am allergic to).  All these side effects prompted me to search online to see if anyone else had similar experiences. Well this blog surely has enlightened me ... I don't feel that awful now, for I'm not alone. Thank you all for posting your  experiences.
I had an endoscopy on tues today is sat I keep getting pain in my stomach feels like it is churning making me feel nausea's .along with major hot flushes.I have rang the unit and gp ..not any help..please can anybody tell me if this is normal..they found a hernia and some bad erosions due to acid reflux and took biopsys ..be fearful for any feed back ..
I just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy on Monday 12/5/11 and went into them after vomiting bile all night for some unknown reason?  Dehydration? The Laxative mixture (which was miralax and dulcolax).  Doctor found a hiatal hernia, erosions in my stomach, esophagitis and he biopsied everything to see if I have H. Pylori .. .he said this stuff was all treatable so I hope that's good.    My issue presently is that since I got done with this on Monday (it's now Wednesday) my lymph nodes near my jawline (tonsilar) hurt a lot and have been swollen for 3 days as well as my armpit lymph nodes are swollen a bit too.  I'm worried that the anesthesia permanently damaged me or something, does anyone know anything about swollen lymph nodes after these procedures?  Did I pick up a virus the day of the procedure because my immune system was compromised?
I have had several egd scopes performed and never had nay issues afterwards but I continued to have stomach problems and swallowing issues and they  havent been able to figure out the problem but I had the EGD 7 days ago and since then have had no voice and my left side of my neck is swollen. I went back to the dr. that performed the EGD on Wed 3 days after the test and he said it isnt normal but can happen if I wasnt better to come back Friday. well, Friday I still could not talk and so I went back and he stated it did not happen during the scope that I must have something else going on to go see my primary care physician so I did that same day. she stated she had already talked to that dr. but she said she wasn't concerned that it happens after a scope to go home and not talk over the weekend. I havent talked because nothing comes out and I still can not talk. I have had numerous scopes for constant stomach problems but never have had this.I  noticed the left side of my neck is very swollen. I am just very concerned because I can not talk and it is still hurting. any suggestions besides never let that doctor perform a scope again? they did dilate my esophagus so I am not sure if that would cause any problems or not. If I am not better I am going somewhere else because I am loosing trust in these doctors. Please let me know if you know of anything else it could be.
I had my second Endocopy yesterday, the first was many many years ago.  The first experience was so bad, I told the doctor that I did not want to remember it at all.  So they decided to use Propofol.  It was the best ever...don't remember a thing!  They did biopsy, and now, day 2, I'm having quite a bit of pain with swollowing, and it feels like there is a lump in my throat/chest area.  Hoping this subsides soon!  
After reading   all these    really  awful comments i have  decided  tomorrow morning to call the GI Doctors nurse and cancel my Endoscopy appointment   scheduled for Wednesday  Feb 22, 2012  Nope, I don't want it.  I am  going to be 70 years old  I have no children,  no husband,  no sisters  , no brothers  no cousins  and  so  in short,  If i have anything,   then so be it.  Let it take its course.  I've been through   a mastectomy  for   right breast cancer...   Uterine cancer with a complete  Hysterectomy in 2005....  Thryroidectomy and i've had itwith all these    vomiting,  stuff stuck in   the throat, nausea things people here are saying ... well it just made me  not want to  go through it all alone and i am at a point of i don't care anyway.    thanks for the   input.I am just having  occasional burning like    heartburn  but when you've been  through cancer,    and   you have something unusual happening  like   burning    well  you suddenly say oh gee maybe its the cancer, again. Nope.  Thanks  for all the advice.
I had a gastroscopy today and I didn't have sedation, apparently this is the norm? I was quite distressed by the procedure, I continously retched the whole way through it and couldn't control my swallow reflex, so I was continuously swallowing while the scope was in my stomach which was very painful, I had horrendous belching during the procedure as well, is it normal to retch soooo much during the procedure especially without being sedated?
   I was told I have oesophagitus but the inflammation was down quite a bit when they did the procedure. Over 12 hours on and I am in discomfort, I expected my throat to be sore and find it difficult to swallow but my stomach is hurting, not in a gassy way, it feels like the part the biopsy was taken has something stuck in it..very hard to describe. I don't mean to put anybody off having the procedure done, but I was quite panicked and very uncomfortable, just wondering is it normal to have the stomach pains and also is it normal to retch sooooo much during the procedure?
I had an EGD yesterday as part of a pre-surgery work up.  The test went fine, i don't remember a bit of it and was under anesthesia the whole time.  It took longer to put the IV in than to have the test done.  I was fine yesterday evening, could eat with no problem and felt no discomfort at all.  Now, my neck is so sore, I almost feel like flu symptoms, very achy all over. I see alot of people posting about stomache aches, but aside from a few cramps, just fine there.  Has anyone had neck/jaw pain?
plzzzzz help mera naam deepak hai mere mother ke endescopy hwi thi aaj se 5month phele endoscopy karte time left side kafi pain hwa aur next day se aisa laga jaise kuch jal raha ho per ab per ab pain rehta hi 24 hrs plz kise ko aise problem aye the kya..........this my contact no +918979444313 plz give me mis call i will call back.....plzzz help me....
I had a colonoscopy & EGD Monday, this is Saturday & while it is a little better my stomach under my breasts feels liked I was kicked by a horse or did 10,000 sit-ups.  The first 2 days after I had cramping so severe I couldn't stand up.  My dr. told me to take some Gas-X & walk around the block.  REALLY???  Throat still a little sore.  They did a stomach bioposy & removed 6 polyps in my colon and I was told there were no nerve endings in the colon so the polyp removal could not possible hurt.  Have lost 8 lbs since I began my prep (8 days ago) & still am not eating even half of my normal food intake.  Called dr. again & nurse talked to me like it was all in my head.  I am so glad to know I'm not crazy!  Will NOT ever do EGD again.  End diagnosis was my diabetes meds causing daily vomiting.  WHATEVER.
I had an endoscopy four days ago and woke up with atrial fibrillation, had a horrible headache next day and pains in my kidneys and pelvic area, it,s getting a bit better as gas comes out but the pain in now in my pelvic area, I had another endoscopy 2 years ago and that was nothing and so I think it has to be  the biopsies taken this time.
Hi. Just had a endoscopy today for some biopsies of my stomach and to remove my peg tube. I was asked if I wanted sedation and I said yes but when the doctor came he said he was only going to use throat spray. I'm very shy so didn't argue. I found the procedure quite traumatic. I have a very small mouth and gullet due to other medical issues so I was coughing and spluttering everywhere. The doctor just carried on and ignored my obvious discomfort. Luckily I had a nice nurse who did his best to keep my calm and relaxed. I'm glad it's over and glad I no longer have a tube in my stomach but found it awful. I now have a sore throat and feel like the endoscopy tube is in my throat every now and then when I swallow. I also am aching all over. I was not told of any pains or aches that it may have caused just the things to look out for which are bad and I'd need to see a doctor about. I have no idea if what I feel is normal or not. The only plus was I only had to wait an hour to eat so the numbing spray had worn off. I was also told by the doctor that he found 2 polyps so took a biopsy to work out if anything needs to be done. I have to wait three months to get the results and am terrified I will have to have a endoscopy again to remove them.  

P.s. it's the doctor I'm upset with really. The nurses looked after me brilliantly.
I hear ya !! I just had one today and same thing I felt violated!! THERE was such pain and I was not given enough to put me to sleep I was awake the entire time.. ugh hope you are doing better
Yes I was awake what they gave me didnt put me under and he just kept shoving the hose higher and higher and I yelled out and my legs were shaking it was very painful when he got up around the bend of my colon OMG I wonder how long it will take to feel normal again!?
Maria, I think what the doctor did to you was horrible and I would consider assault charges against the doctor.He used his medical authority to force you to a decision you did not want to take.  Now on the reality side, it might not get you anywhere if you proceed with the charges but at least it would put this clown on notice. BTW, your nurse was probably a real life angel. You might want to send her a thank you card.
I had  a  endoscopy and colonoscopy 7/-/11. Every thing came out well in both, just a small problem in the stomach area. I have to watch spicy food. I was doing ok. I had a HIDA Scan about a month ago. This may sound really crazy but somewhere after this I had constpation, this is now a month. Talk to dr, but not really a answer. I was given something to make me go to the bathroom. I am seldom if ever constipated. I fell in Dec. nothing happen till a month ago. I would if this could be it. Thanks
I had an endoscopy over a week ago with numerous biopsies as I have pernicious anemia; the biopsies showed chronic atrophic gastritis as expected due to anti-bodies (autoimmune response) against parietal cells which secrete gastric acid with no dysplastic changes that lead to cancer.

I developed chest pain 24 hours after the procedure; it has now been over a week and I am still having chest pain, feels like it's bruised, and burns deep inside  My stomach also is bloated (also feels bruised) but my concern is pain in my chest.  I had an endoscopy before without any side effects. This time a doctor(different one) took more than ten biopsies whereas the first time I had only two biopsies taken.  I called the doctor and he said that the pain should resolve within a week after procedure.  One week past and the pain continues, I am going to see him.  

Does anyone experience similar issues after his/her endoscopy?

Thanks for the reply.

I had a egd a week ago and i am having alot of muscle pain especially in my back around my kidney area.  Does this have anything to do with the endoscopy?  They found polyp and took it out tested and said was not cancerous.  Also found I had gastritis.  I feel like crap today.  Feel like I have been hit by a big truck.  Anyone with this problem?
thanks
I had an endo done yeserday with propofol being used as the sedative.  I was out the whole time.  I felt somewhat nauseated when they gave me some apple juice to drink, when I woke up, but some clear water helped.  On way home, my throat felt like it had a lump in it and felt swollen.  A little later my chest and back (between my shoulder blades) felt sore and was aching.  Figured it was muscular, but I am concerned about the throat.  I can eat and swallow but it still feels swollen and the "lump" is only slightly diminshed today and I still have the back discomfort between the shoulder blades.  I didn't like the propofol as it made me woozy and not clear thinking for the entire 1st day. I was glad to see someone else described the throat as a "lump feeling" rather than sore, as my throat is not sore.
Just had a VA administered endo to check on a previous upper Gi bleed that was stopped with coil embollization procedure and under total anesthesia.  This followup 7 months later found everything fine -- but the knockout drugs didn't knock me out. I was groggy but was awake and when the GI kept pushing that black  cord through me I was totatly gagged for an hour. It was horrible to be conscious. An hour of extreme pressure and pain.  I'll never do it again with first being knocked ou!  jim, dixon, missouri
I had the Upper G.I. Endoscope 9 days ago and am still suffering from the feeling of being bruised and swollen inside, and I am only able to eat small snacks. I also get strange palpitations and cold shooting pains in my stomach and sides. I am on Lansoprazole and Gaviscon.
I had the throat spray, and my throat and esophagus were very sore for just a day or so.
I too get arrhythmia and trapped wind, but that is one of the reasons I had the procedure done in the first place.
I had the same procedure many years ago, but under sedation, and don't remember having these side effects.
The actual operation was very quick, about three minutes, but hurt considerably. Don't know why they don't recommend painkillers before they start! Equally unpleasant was in the recovery room when the throat spray started to wear off as I could feel saliva in my mouth but couldn't swallow it, and some went into my lungs making me cough. This only lasted for about two minutes.
Oh, and they couldn't find anything wrong with my stomach after all that!
Andrew. Newcastle, England. (50 yo)

dont know how long this comment was made but i very recently had a Gastroscopy done on Thursday 8-16-2012 (5 days ago)
to this day i have the exact same feeling (right under neath my boobs)
i did experience some gas on the friday/saturday but this discomfort is completely seperate. iv had it since i got home afetr the proceedure was done. its like in knots as if im experienceing stomach panes but i still feel it during a full stomach or not. dont understand what is going on in there but im waiting for a call back from the speciailist.
Had my first EGD this afternoon.  Felt fine immediately afterwards except a sore throat and some burning.  Asked the nurse if this was normal and was assured it was and should go away by morning.   Well, by 5:30 pm I was in excruting pain. Felt like someone was squeezing my chest.  I had been diliated and had a biopsy taken.  After speaking with my doctor he sent me to
the ER. Where I of course received the full cardiac workup because I had complained of chest pain.  
I also had a gastrograffin study done to check for tears or perforations.  Thankfully all was negative.  The ER doc gave me  some bentyl to try to help relax the esophagus.  It has helped some.   Just wanted to let
everyone in on my experience. I too was assured I would have no pain.  

I had a EGD done yesterday. During the procedure everything was good. After the procedure I was very nauseous and had vomited twice. I was dizzy too. I was in the ENDO unit for 5 hours trying to come off the sedation. I also was suffering with a major Migraine due to being hungry and dehydrated. They finally released me and I had a 2 hour drive home. I slept the whole way feeling hot and cold as well as nauseous and did vomit one more time. Once I got home I bathed and drank Gateraides to replensh my electrolytes then just slept it off. I woke this morning and felt graugy and had very low energy. I ate breakfast. Through out the day I began to get more and more pain. I am burping and bloated. I have a sharp pain below my breasts that makes it hurt to breath in, bend over, sit, stand etc. I called back to my Doctor's office but he was off today and his assistant told me to go into emergancy if it get unbearable. I would hate to go into emergancy if it is just a gas build up due to the oxygen they released into my body while doing the tests yesterday. Reading other posts I am guessing this is the problem and that it is very common. I guess I will wait until tomorrow and see what it will bring.
I had the EGD done on the 14th of this month, and I am still suffering. I ate a bland sandwich yesterday trying to get food into my stomach, but all I do is belch, have gas, vomit and feel like there is an acid fire in my stomach and throat. Thank goodness for jello water. I figure the pain is from the scope and biopsy, but no one said it may take days to overcome the effects of this test. They too told me if it gets too bad go to the ER. Who wants to go to the ER after this test? I think the Drs should enlighten the patient as to the possible effects afterwards, if I would have known this, I would have prepared myself mentally and then possibly it would not affect me as much as it is. And now I am scheduled for a lower one, I will prepare myself for this one. I feel for everyone having this done.
do you still have the discomfort?  i had the scope done 5 weeks ago because of sometimes when i swallowed liquid or solid foods i had under the breastbone pain ( like a brain freeze when you drink very cold liquid very fast)  said i have a small hiatal hernia and acid reflux.  I never had heartburn in my life and now i have it all the time. i moved in the procedure and the iv came out & had to be re-done. i wonder if i jerked because of pain. biopsies were ok. i hope your symptoms have passed and that mine will.  god bless!
I had an upper scope done on monday october 2012. Other than kind of sleepy, I felt okay for a few hrs. Then I started getting this pain in the left and center of my chest and into my back on the upper left. Its like  burning and painful feeling. Has anyone else felt this? My surgeon put me on carafate. I also want to mention that my gallbladder isnt functioning much and that my stomach isnt empyting fully. Maybe that is part of the chest discomfort and perhaps not from the upper scope. I hope that maybe some of this can help someone else out there.
this is EXACTLY what i'm experiencing. my procedure was yesterday. I woke up with the scope still in my throat and the doc reported that i tolerated the procedure well. blah--NOT! they dilated my throat to the max 48fr and am in sooooo much pain when swallowing--even water or spit. i'm worried as well about what this all means. i hope he didn't tear anything when i woke up b/c i tried to escape it and grabbed his arm. i hope nothing perforated or anything. I also was recently dx with eosinophils in duodenum (go to apfed.org to learn more about eosinophilic disorders). they are checking me for the levels within my esophagus. best to you!
Had endoscopy and colonoscopy about 24 hours ago.  Lots of gas and some pressure today,  No polyps.  All was well.  Little groggy still this AM.  No recollection of procedure.  I was apprehensive going in but it was no a big deal at all.
i had a scope of stomach dr. put me on omeprazole 20mg. i had pain constiptation pain in ankle. read on internet long use of omperazole will cause all these symtoms (symptoms) and there is law suits against it. i got off of it and using zantac now pain in abdomen is somewhat gone now. had 4 cat scans and x rays and stools samples found nothing. so i got off of it
now this is exactly what I am going thru. I thought I  had pnumonia because I had been coughing since I woke from anethstisia combined with the back pain. The coughing is slowing up but the back pain is terrible.
Still chest pain when eating 2 weeks after endoscopy where they took biopsies of the esophagus. doctor says some people take longer to heal.
I had an endoscopy yesterday, elected for sedation.  Think I must have been out for the first few minutes but remember suddenly gagging and wretching at the tube.  Was panicking then as due to wretching I felt I couldn't breathe and was beginning to choke.  I recall vomiting and remember the suction and then the words "all done, you're ok".

I must have wretched badly as I have lots of little burst blood vessels over my face and my eyes are swollen.  I had lots of belching episodes yesterday and have had a vague tummy ache ever since which is uncomfortable rather than painful.  Hiatus Hernia and oesophagitis diagnosed though so it's been worth the discomfort to finally get a diagnosis.
I had a similar experience and my doctor said for similar procedures in the future I need to be put under anesthesia. My last 2 procedures were great after being put under. Much better than gagging although I always feel like they took a cheese grater to my throat.
Hello Jillijobob
I just read your comments about your experience with the Upper GI problems.  I had my upper endoscopy about 2 months ago and the pain in my chest is like a throb and then can become a deep stabbing type pain.  I have a hard time taking deep breaths, I end up sitting up in a chair to sleep and I wonder at times if it's heart related because of the pain in the chest.  I am belching more than I used to before the upper GI and now it seems that coffee and chocolate are really hard on me.  The pain has been consistent since the test, and instead of getting better--the pain is getting worse.  Did they ever find out what to do about your pain?  Is it gone or do you still have it?  What should I do?  Any suggestions are appreciated.  I realize your post is a few years old--I hope you see this somehow and can reply back.  Thanks
I had my endoscopy yesterday at 1:30 pm with sedation. I felt fine till I had my first meal in 12 + hours and after that I felt horrible for next 2 hours. I could not even lie down - pain in the same area as you desribe - right under the last right rib.. I took ibuprofen and antacid (TUMS) and felt slightly better. Today, I have less pain but I have waves of pain that go upto 8/10. Quite worried - my doctor is pretty good and concerned but I just have tow ait and see.. She says usually I should have no pain.

How are you now?
I had an endoscopy along with gallstones removed about 19 hours ago. I feel terribly! I've slightly thrown up twice and my stomach is in pain. It's causing me to cramp. I thought I was hungry so I ate a scrambled egg. Now I feel worse. I feel scraped on my right side and like I've been hit hard in the belly, is this normal?
About 19 hours ago I had an endoscopy along with gallstones removed. Is it normal to feel scraped on the right inside and feel like you've been punched in stomach? I can't get comfy!! Ive had slight vomit and of course , lots of gas.
I just got an endoscopy 18 hours ago and just woke up (5:45 am) with really sore pain in the abdominal area and esophagus. I had one done in 2008 when I was 28 and had absolutely no pain like today. This why I didn't mind getting it done again for acid reflex and other uncomfortable pain I had been experiencing for the past year. This time around I'm concerned about the pain. The throat pain I have is understandable being that I just had something forced down my throat, but I'm not okay with the other. I'm about to take some Mylanta to see if it helps. I will check back in later with an update. I will also call my Dr. at 9 am today.
Just had this done yesterday after I went thou it they took me into a ward to rest but I was in a lot of pain and felt like I needed the loo, the nusre said don't worry its just gas you just need to pass wind but I know when I need to pass wind or go the loo as I'm sure most people do! Anyway the pain was getting wosre so I ran into the loo in the ward and I started bleeding atfer a few mins the bleeding stopped but the pain didn't I then had to go back two more times after that the nusre thou that she would send me home but if I keep bleeding or keep having pain to go back to hospital to the A.E bit and I was not allowed home by myself I had to get a taxi so anyway I went home in a lot pain and feeling abit dizzy I did end up feeling when I got in after just lieing on my sofa for abit but I've woke up now and my pain is 10times more painful then before and it feels like I've been hit in my belly and its in nodes I've rang nhs as I've also been bleeding why I've been asleep they have told me its normal its just from there air! But what I don't understand is in the booklet they give you to read it says there is no pain atfer but I'm in that much I feel like crying
I was taking omeprazole 40 mg and it was only when I stopped it a week before having an endoscopy that I realised it was that that was making my stomach ache - I felt loads better after stopping it!
Had endoscopy and colonoscopy a few days ago and don't remember a thing. The prep is much worse than the procedure. This is a life saving procedure and if your Dr. recommends it, pay attention and do it!
ankh151, it's been four years since your procedure. I was wondering if you're still on the antacids.  I had it done May 30, 2013 and have had severe pain down my esophagus to my stomach, like an upside down capital T. It's a pulsing pain and awful!  I'd never had this problem until after the procedure.  Wondering what's going on after reading the multitudes of comments on here with us all having the same issue!
I want to know whether Endoscopy Scan is happening while awaken or not? Because I was asked to do an endoscopy scan if necessary , but i am scared enough to do it.
You will probably never see this, but THANK YOU Mywritingchair...I needed that.  
I know this was written a while ago but how long did it take for your pain from eating to pass.  My 10 year old had an EGD yesterday and she is in a lot of pain everytime she eats.  We were given a medication "Carafate:" to take prior to eating to coat the esophagus/stomach but I am wondering how long it will take for her to heal?
your post is 5 years ago. Did you recover or find the cause because it's been six weeks since my endoscopy and I have stomach pain located around the top of my liver. It wasn't there before as the grade three ulceration in my esophagus didn't go any deeper into my gastric system. I felt a 'popping' sensation when the endoscope went round the final bend in the examined portion of my intestines. Anyone else felt this ?
Me too !! Six weeks later and I have pain over my liver under my right ribs. I only had a local anesthetic throat spray and no pain in my throat or stomach after the scan but I did feel a 'popping' sensation in that area when they got to the end of the Endoscopic scanned area. My GP thinks it couldn't possibly be caused by the procedure but I think it was.
i had an endoscopy done on 22nd October. I suffer with panic attacks, so the day of the procedure I was very scared. i had the throat spray and sedation. i didn't feel a thing. the whole procedure took only 4 minutes, and i didn't feel a thing. when i got home i just had an hour sleep. i felt great. now its just over 1 week after having endoscopy, i received my results, doctor says i have helicobacter in my stomach.  now im having bad stomach pains, chest pains, and feel a little sick. doctor put me on antibiotics and penicillin and also taking omeprazole capsules. hopefully it all goes away real soon.   all you have to remember when having endoscopy, is just relax, and you will be fine. x
I had an endoscopy on Thursday of last week, for a problem that my family doctor insisted was gastric in nature (I had pressure when I breathed, so she suggested an endoscopy to examine the diaphragm). Until this point in time, I had zero stomach pain/stomach problems. Now I have lower abdominal pain that started the evening after my surgery. I told my doctor about this and she shrugged it off as anxiety.

When I went into the operating room, I remember signing a consent form and then remember them spraying a bitter medication onto the back of my throat, which later numbed it, before sticking an IV in me. By this point I was groggy. I then remember him starting to insert the mouthpiece, and that is when I lost all memory of what happened. Next time I was aware, I was laying in my bed at home and just awoke from my nap.. Apparently, I got wheeled out into a hospital room and rested, before being walked out by my mom and driven home so I can go to bed... but I remember NONE of this. These last six hours were lost time. The freaky part is, my eyes were wide open the whole time according to my mom. Does anybody know what sedative they might have given me to cause these sensations?

Anyways, my real question is this: It's been 6 days since the procedure and since then I have had a mild, dull constant pain in my abdomen. I passed it off as gas cramps initially, but now it's really starting to become bothersome. It's a gnawing pain that really makes me not feel like eating. My meals are substantially reduced because I can no longer tolerate anything more than small portions. My stomach is all gurgly and growly, but there's a band of pain that remains intact in my abdomen. It makes falling asleep uncomfortable, eating uncomfortable, and even light exercise uncomfortable. I pass stools fine, but I find that the pain gets so bothersome sometimes that I induce vomiting on myself, with little relief.

Is this something that is normal after having an endoscopy, and will it go away? I am very upset that I had NO pain beforehand, but now I'm riddled with it.
Get one ginger root and rinse then boil in about 3 cups of water, get one cup of the broth and add a green tea bag and cinnamon stick and wildflower honey. Very soothing and healing for the gastrointestinal tract.
I am very happy I found this forum of comments.  I had an endoscopy 2 days ago and feel like something has changed with my insides.  I awoke from the procedure and felt great!  Then shortly after I ate something, I felt an enormous knot in my sternum that would not go away.  I am having the following symptoms now two days out: painful bloating, inability to have substantial bowel movements, and the feeling that my stomach is very distended with air.  Additionally, I have an odd gurgling sound and my appetite has decreased for the past couple of days.

I finally emailed my pcp and I am awaiting a reply email back.

I did plenty of research on this procedure beforehand and nowhere did I read anything about such discomfort.  I wish I had found this forum so I could have better prepared myself for the after effects.
I had similar case. I did my EGD  on Thursday 1/16/14, doctor did biopsy. That day and night I slept a lot. Friday night my butt, upper and lower legs cramping pain couldn't go away. Saturday morning I started to have painful urination, It was painful soreness and difficult to pass the water out,(the soreness and pain is gone after I drank a lot of cranberry juice, but for 2 days and 2 nights it made me terrible). My stomach area (middle left side, close to my breast) have some discomfort, feel like something is there, food or water blocked in there, especially when I eat, drink liquid, burp. I feel like the food or liquid hit that spot, causing me pinch pain and discomfort. Yesterday afternoon I had diarrhea. My PCP said I might got stomach flu. I was worried about my pinch pain in my stomach, my sore muscle and fever could be a sigh a infection. But after the diarrhea, I felt better.

How are you doing now? Did you get a answer from you PCP doctor?
Just had a EGD and colonoscopy on Thursday 2/6/14. Went in as a routine check up cause I am 52 now. I procrastinated cause I did not want to do it after reading about possible perforation. Neighbor convinced me to do the colonoscopy. Finally, I did both and I regret it. Will never do it again.
I slept well on the 1st night after that it was horrible. I have constant gastric pain, which I have never had since childhood. The EGD brought back my old illness with a vengeance. This is the worse gastric pain I ever have. When I eat a little, I feel bloated and felt like I over ate and within an hour or so, I feel hungry again. Which is terrible. I woke up at 2am on Sunday morning feeling gastric pain and hungry, ate and woke up again at 6am feeling same way and ate again. It is 7.30am now and I am feeling queasy again. Another issue, I can't seem to be able to sleep on my side, my stomach seems like it is crushed and difficult to breathe.
And yes, I do have a little discomfort when urinating. It is like passing hot fluid! This morning(Sunday), I am feeling ok when urinating.
My colonoscopy has left me with abdominal cramps which is very similar to period cramps. Right now, what bother me most is my gastric pain. I did not have any sore throat as what the doc warns me about.
Oh yes, I did have a little diarrhea when I came home on Thursday after the procedure. I have pinch pain on my right side of my abdomen when I try to sit up from laying down position. Waiting on the result for my biosy now which a polyp was removed from my colon
I just wanted to let you know that I had an endoscopy 12/31/13 and experienced similar problems with the recovery.  I have been suffering with acid reflux for 7 months now and have tried almost everything under the sun to relieve my symptoms.  I am much better and I hope that you are better as well by now.  Here is my observation regarding my procedure.  I woke up in the middle of it and felt the probe in my throat.  A day after the procedure started having intense pain only when I ate.  After an ER visit and several doctor's visits figured out that my esophagus was damaged and bruised by gagging on the probe when I woke up.  The intense pain lasted basically 2 weeks after the procedure and only got better after having a CAT scan done (it may be possible that the barium soothed the injury).  The ER physician told me that the injury was temporary and it would heal eventually.  However, I still experienced the severe acid reflux on a daily basis.  Finally started drinking decaf green tea with honey and lemon after eating dinner before bedtime and it COMPLETELY HEALED MY GASTRIC REFLUX!  It has been approximately 6 weeks since drinking my tea at bedtime and it totally took care of the problem.  I wish that I had known that before starting Pantaprozole and having an endoscopy.  I hope and pray that my information has helped you in some way.  God Bless!
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers