Gastroenterology Community
Pain before gas and bowel movement

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain before gas and bowel movement

just wondering what this could be...i have been getting this sharp pain right below my ribcage...where my upper stomach would be...and i get this pain before gas and a bowel movement...i do not know if it is an ulcer...is that what maybe a duodenal ulcer would feel like
Which side does it hurt?  I was getting pains right before bowel movements, especially on my left side that went away after a bowel movement, but in the last several weeks they have actually gotten worse during and after the bowel movement than before.  I would like to know if you find anything out.  I've been suffering with that and other symptoms for over 3 months and they don't know what's wrong.
just in the middle of my stomach right under my chest...i don't know because i've been taking a lot of anti-inflammation drugs...i don't know if that contributed to it...have u been taking any pain-killers...
I have been taking vicodin when the pain gets really bad.  But usually the pain is more towards the left side.
There is a thing called "splenic flexure syndrome".  This is a term given to distention with gas of that part of the large intestine in the region of the spleen.  Because the colon makes a 90 degree turn at this location, gas may get trapped causing the colon to distend.  Since this location is just beneath the diaphragm, the location of the pain appears to be coming from the lower left chest.  It may be distinguished from cardiac pain by its intermittent, colicky behavior, and fluctuations in intensity of the pain.  Also passage of flatus gives temporary relief.
for the last 4 days I have had this annoying pain and discomfort in my lower chest around my rib area and in the lower area of my chest between the breast.  It seems worse after I eat and hurts more when I move around.  I have all the gallbladder tests, ultrasound, ct, and nuclear functioning test and they all came back negative for gallbladder disease.  Don't know what else it could be???  I need help.  This is fustrating.  I had the same thing about a month ago for almost two weeks, then went away. That is when they did the gallbladder tests but nothing comes up wrong with the gallbladder.  The only thing the found in the CT was thickening of my appendix wall.  But I dont think the appendix gives you pain in this area???