Gastroenterology Community
Pain in upper middle abdomen

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain in upper middle abdomen

I have been having pain under my left rib cage and in the middle of my chest, where my sternum is. Dr prescribed Aciphex about 2 weeks ago. I haven't felt relief yet. It doesn't get better or worse with food. Had an Upper GI & Small Bowel series done on Thursday, all clear. After the barium test, I had severe pain in RLQ, thinking appendicitis but the pain didn't stay. Could it have been an allergic reaction to the barium?

I had an ultrasound on Friday, pelvis and abdomen...all clear as well. Today, I have a low grade fever (100.2 was the highest) and stomach pain, directly below my sternum. It feels like someone stepped on my stomach. The pain has been pretty consistent. It felt slightly better after having some chicken soup for dinner.

What can I do next? Something is definitely wrong and I don't know that I believe that it's a stomach bug (although my daughter is sick too) and Dr said it was IBS. I don't have any diarreah (diarrhea) at all, so how can it be IBS? I'm so frustrated. Any thoughts on what I can try next? I have had the pain in my chest for almost a month now...I feel like I need to get it figured out as it is getting very bothersome.

I should add that I suffer from extreme indegestion. I burp like crazy, even after just water. I burp all day long. I occassionally smoke and haven't been smoking lately so I don't think that's it.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
could be your gallbladder.  sounds like what i went through with mine and it did not show up until i had a hydascan.
Did you have the pain/pressure all the time, or did it come and go? Mine is constant and it doesn't go away. It does get better for a while but doesn't go away.

Should I ask for the HIDA scan first or the endoscopy?

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to know that I am not crazy.
get an h pylori test done as well .
Had the blood test done and it was negative. She said I could do the stool test if I want...I didn't decide yet.