Gastroenterology Community
Peeling Lips and Digestive system?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Peeling Lips and Digestive system?

What internal factors are responsible for peeling lips? I went to several doctors who said the digestive system is linked to the lips (because they are mucous membranes) and no one really further explained how to fix the issue, just that those 2 systems were connected.
I've never heard the two were connected. Funnily enough, a quick search uncovered the following information from of all places - Cosmo -

"Microscopic rifts often form on a dry pout. “Bacteria push their way in, causing more chapping,” says dermatologist David Bank, of the Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic, and Laser Surgery in Mount Kisco, New York.

Spread on a balm enhanced with antioxidants, like cranberries, to boost softness…and make sure it contains SPF. “Because your lips don’t have much melanin, they’re extremely susceptible to sun damage, even in winter,” stresses Dr. Bank. Pop the balm in your bag so you won’t lick your lips to moisten them later. “Saliva contains enzymes that break down your skin and create cracks,” says Dr. Bank. But slick on just a thin coating. Otherwise, your instinct might be to lick away the excess."

Apparently, while other parts of the body have 16 layers of skin, lips have only 3-4 layers and thus are prone to cuts, bruises and seasonal changes. It seems worse for people who have dry lips naturally. It not only makes your lips look bad but also if ignored makes them black.

As far as I can see there's no obvious connection that I could see.

Thanks for the advice! I was told not to put anything on them, but everything you said makes perfect sense, so thanks for the insight. But the peeling isnt like tiny flakes or bad chapping as one would get in the winter time, its the skin growing a bit, developing a callous like hardening, stopping, and then peeling to a certain point and repeating. However after being on suggested natural supplements and a strong probiotic for a month so far, things are definitely improving somewhat.