Gastroenterology Community
Possile leaking bile duct, no gall bladder

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been unwell for 3 weeks and the doctor now thinks I might have a leaking bile duct or something wrong with my pancreatis (pancreatitis). I have had a few attacks of very bad pain in the upper abdomin (abdomen) that radiates around the back. I constantly have a queasy/nauseated feeling in my middle upper abdomin (abdomen). I had my gallbladder removed 2.5 yrs ago. My liver enzymes are elevated. Had an ultrasound that's showed nothing. Has anyone else had this? it's getting me really down. I have lost 5kgs in 3 weeks.
This sounds a bit like problems that may be due to spasms of the common bile duct or muscular opening of the CBD into the duodenum (sphincter of Oddi). It can cause a rise in liver and pancreatic enzyme levels. Ask your doc about doing an MRCP which is non-invasive it will show whether or not there are any changes to the common bile duct and may also show whether or not sludge is present. Stones and sludge can be retained after the surgery, or can develop after surgery. In the meantime you may want to consider following a low fat diet. Also discuss SOD (sphincter of Oddi dysfunction with your doc and ask if you might try specific anti-spasm meds if he/she feels they might be of help.
Thanks for your answer. I have started taking anti-spasm meds and they are helping a bit. I will go back to my dr in a week for repeat blood tests to check if my liver functions are still elevated. I will mention what you have wrote.
You may want to read through this to familiarize yourself with the information on SOD:
http://www.hopkins-gi.org/GDL_Disease.aspx?SS=&CurrentUDV=31&GDL_DC_ID=320F4EDD-0021-4952-83D7-8B0C67B47BFF&GDL_Disease_ID=7AB086B0-AB01-446E-B011-2E67CAFEF96D
aacannon - CalGal is giving great advice!  That link she gave you to the John Hopkins website is EXTREMELY helpful, and I learned a lot about SOD from the 4-5 pages that are about SOD.  Be sure to check it out!