Gastroenterology Community
Recovery from emergency bowel resection.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

On June 27, I had an emergency bowel resection 2/2 intusception (sp?). The only warning that I might have had, looking back, was marked fatigue. Went home 6 days post op.
     I'm now 11 days post op and looking for more info on what to expect in terms of recovery, esp. re: the extreme fatigue. Managed to shower and wash hair this a.m. Then needed to sit until the trembling stopped. I'm trying to figure out if I need to push through the fatigue to get back to full speed, or when I should expect myself to be back at full capacity.?? I work full time, am transitioning out of direct care as a Physical Therapist and into a new field, primarily desk work. (I have 2 interviews set for the end of this week. 1 - Thurs. and 1 - Friday.) Hopefully someone who has been trhough this can give me a better understanding of what to expect.
As it was mentioned above, this is major surgery and you need to give your body time to recover. I know they say 6 to 8 weeks as a general rule but it can take longer, especially if you don't get the rest you need or push things too soon. You can actually have a set back if you push yourself too soon or too fast.
Even if you see the incision is healed up, don't forget, it takes longer for your insides to heal.

Try to be patient. I understand, believe me! I wasn't a very good patient and wanted to be completely back to normal as fast as possible after my own resection and couldn't understand why it took so long but I was forced to let others help out more around the house so that I could recoup and take care of me. It probably took me a good 3 months to start feeling normal again but I would notice if I walked too fast I'd feel twinges of pain and would have to force myself to slow down, or if I sat down too fast, I'd feel pain. I'd get dizzy if I bent over or stood up too fast too. Also, if I tried to do too much and tired myself out, I'd feel more pain and fatigue.

After about a year after surgery I felt completely back to normal, where I could do all the things I did before and felt better than ever. But yes, it did take a long time to get to that point.
Take it easy and let others help you right now. You need to give your body time to recover and heal. It will come, I promise! Just give it some time.
Take care of yourself! God bless,
April
Oh my gosh - that is major surgery.  Give yourself a break and take things slow.  I would think your doctor would be telling you how fast to return to activities, but I am sure no lifting for six weeks or more, for instance.  
I underwent a total colectomy early in 2004 following torrential diverticular bleeding.  In response to another Medhelp patient's posting I recorded my experiences on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

You may like to search out this posting and do come back with any questions.

regards
Morecambe

Take care of yourself! God bless,
April
Thanks for the responses.

Dealing with Medical Leave forms can be tiring in itself. Per the person who approves the leave, it appeared to her that I would be back at work full-time (desk) beginning next Monday. Got the MD to clarify that the plan is for me to begin back 1/2 days and see how it goes... that would be post op day 21. We'll play it by ear.

thanks again.

Fishaus1