Rotten Egg Burps = Projectile Vomiting
I'm a 43 year old male with a long history of stomach issues.  I take prilosec daily and have no idea what a "normal" bowel movement resembles.  Sour stomach, cramps, reflux and soft stools are just a part of life for me and I've been able to lead a fairly normal and mobile life in spite of these issues.

Six weeks ago, I went to work and took one of my kids w/me.  He loves going to the office for some reason and he had nothing better to do on this particular summer day.  Around 10am I started noticing that I was burping quite a bit and my son pointed out that something smelled like "rotten eggs".  I agreed that something did smell putrid and that it was in fact my burps.  As the day continued, the burps became more and more frequent with individual burps lasting longer and smelling even worse (if that's possible).  Around 3pm, I told my boss I wasn't feeling well and excused myself.  I drove to the hospital and the ER was empty.  Not a person in sight!  Wow!  I told the nurse that I was in extreme abdominal discomfort, nauseous and pain radiating toward my back from my stomach region.  Well, somehow that triggered the "high risk heart alert" which got me checked in in record time, and EKG, blood work, and who knows what else.  Eventually they ruled out my heart and I continued to feel incredibly nauseous despite the three doses of anti-nausea medicine they had put in my IV.  Once it was brought under control, they did CAT scans, x-rays and sonograms of my abdominal region.  They checked everything!  They found nothing.  My appendix, galbladder, intestines and stomach appeared normal.  They gave me two bags of iv antibiotics and lots of fluids via the iv. I just figured it was viral.  The next day I checked out and went home having missed a day of work.

Three weeks later, I started tasting the rotten egg burps again and about 3 hours later, I was heaving up my guts.  I'm one of those people who really, really hates to vomit.  I mean, I just wont do it unless there is just no option.  I will feel sick longer rather than throw-up.  I'd take a beating before willfully throwing up.  Anyway, it was an unstoppable force and it just kept coming.  My wife took me back to the hospital ER where they again performed many of the same tests which all came up negative.  They gave me anti-nausea medicine which worked a bit better this time.  Again, after 24 hours, the pain and nausea were gone.

Today, September 7, 2003 I'm starting to taste the rotten egg burps.  I can't afford to miss work tomorrow but more than that, I cannot afford to spend the night and tomorrow morning going through this hellish experience again.  It's just too much.  So, here's what I've tried.  I took 40mg pantoprazole sodium (Protonix) delayed release tablet and an alka-seltzer.  These were 2 of 3 ideas I found on this site.  The 3rd idea said to eat a lime or lemon.  I have to say, the burps do feel a bit controlled but I'm not ready to claim victory yet.  I'll post tomorrow morning and let all know if this worked.  God help me if it doesn't because for sure the medical community at large is not able to.

All of these posts going back ten years and not a single person has said they have been cured yet?  Please, if you have had this problem and have been correctly diagnosed and cured, post a response and let me know.  Or, perhaps you have had this issue and know of a means of dulling the symptoms?  That would be great too.  I just can't believe that after over 40 years of never having anything like this happen, now It has happened 3 times in six weeks.  Again, I'll post if my rotten egg burps have not turned into nausea by morning.

-Condor301

This discussion is related to Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps.
my husband took the same meds and was told to stop by a diabetic specialist. now he has these occurances at least once a month.
I just found this thread. I may have what you guys are talking about.  This has been happening to me maybe twice a year for the past few years. It starts by waking up early in the morning with a burp. The burps start normal, no foul taste or smell that I notice. Then the burps start increasing in frequency. Within a few hours, I will start having diarrhea and vomiting that begin re-occurring frequency. However, by this time, the burping is really nasty. I think of "Rotten Hay" for some reason. I dread the burping more than the vomiting or diarrhea.This continues on for maybe half a day, until I have emptied out my system I guess. Sometimes the whole process re-occurs exactly a week later. Then sometimes again for one more week.
I found that the only way to stop this whole cycle is to start taking Pepto Bismol as soon as the burping starts, and repeat it every half hour per the directions. Often though, when I do this, I will have a headache the later half of the day. I think I will start logging my food and watch for the Red Dye #40.
I like to think I have found a cure!!

I am a middlle aged woman who has suffered  years of  these horrendous episodes of eggy burbs, pain like you would'nt believe, the bloating, vomiting and diarrohea. I've been admitted to hospital, had endless blood tests, liver function test, endoscopies, barium enema and gall bladder surgery and still no medical answer!!
After believing that I was truly going to die after a particularly bad spell in March 2010, I decided that I would do my own research as I had given up on the medical profession!

I was convinced that there was a definite link with diet. So the first change I made was to go from cows milk onto goats milk as it is easier to digest (the protein cassein which is in cows milk is notoriously difficult to digest) I radically cut down the amount of beef I ate as that too stays in the gut for ages. Also I now eat very little processed food, no artificial colours or preservatives and definitely no Aspartame.

BUT the biggest most significant change I made was to go COMPLETELY WHEAT FREE! And now I feel like a different person. I lost 84 pounds in weight, after being obese for more than 25 years! and I havent had an episode since that terrible time in March 2010

I do take Zantac for acid reflux and It's true that I now have a very limited diet, but it's worth the price to be pain and sickness free.

I do hope my personal solution helps someone else, as I know only too well how utterly awful it is to suffer with this illness. Please respond if this helps.
I am effected by it right as I type now. I have had it before, but not for a good year or so. Normally a strong vomit an an advil heaps with a days rest, but I seem to be out of advil, and I have the diarrhoea as well his time, with little to no toilet paper. I have had no sleep, and it is now 5am, and I have been in the bathroom for basically two strong hours. Over the years I have had this horrid illness at work, results in vomiting at work and returning home, and once or twice at home in the wee early hours. I know what I ate last night for tea, it was takeaway, a meal I have had before and been fine, but I did each a chicken sandwich at a different town earlier this day, and wasn't feeling very well before I ate it.
I believe the burps are the worst, and the smell actually makes one want to vomit, the pain in the belly is horrid, and if you get the fever and sweats up, well they are just a bonus. Surely if it was a parasite I would get this often, when ever I had sugar or more regularly, not once a year or twice...

i just had a 4 day weekend, and now looks like i have to take another day off, with no sleep. I wish a glass of water could be enough...
Just an update. I have solve my sour burp problem. It's been all most 2 years free from hell. My problem was Omega 3-6-9 pills I was taking. I stopped taken and problem went away. Than just to see if this was the problem, I started taking the Omega 3-6-9 pills again and guest what? Sour burps came back. I now am free from the Omega pills and free from the sour burps. Thank God! I hope this may help some of you. Good luck!
I experienced several bouts of the "foul smelling" burp episodes, cured only by vomiting, during my high school years.  It hasn't happened to me since, over 25 years.  It would start with mild stomach pain, then the burps started and became progressively more foul smelling, until I could barely stand myself.  The abdominal cramps would become much worse, and I would be miserable until I threw up, then all would be relieved.  For me, Pepto Bismol made it worse, because it delayed the eventual vomiting, just prolonging the illness.

To touch on a few things mentioned in previous posts:  I'm allergic to cats, so they're not the issue.  I have always experienced acid reflux, for as long as I can remember, even when i was in grade school.  I now take 20mg omeprazole daily, which has most of the reflux under control.

I never discovered the cause or the cure.  I didn't regularly eat eggs, however; I did drink large amounts of milk.  I do not have any known fool allergies, and I am not on a restrictive diet. I grew up farming weekends with cattle, but never drank untreated water, and could never link a visit to the farm with an episode.  There was so much red dye in everything, if that was the cause, I would have suffered daily, not once every 9 months to a year. No other indoor pets.  My mother cleaned vegetables thoroughly, almost to the point of obsessiveness, and as a home maker, cleaned the home daily and prepared most of my meals.

The worst episode started just as I began a bus trip with our marching band to Washington D.C.  The people on the bus almost forced me to get off the bus and wait for my parents to come to get me, or go into isolation, due to the foul smell of my burps, that almost made others sick.  Once I threw up, all was well.  It also happened Christmas eve one year.  Santa was not pleased with the frequent trips to the bathroom to dry heave.  I do not remember diarrhea associated with any of the episodes.  

Later, in my 20's, over a coarse of about a year, I would experience the stomach cramps only, no sour burps.  This would happen once a month, never on a full stomch, and only with dry heaving, no vomiting.  My doctor prescribed phenergan for the nausea, but when the pain became so severe that I passed out one night, we did the tests.  Upper GI, lower GI, barium, CAT scans, x-rays, blood work, you name it, over the course of two weeks.  Nothing wrong.  Nothing even out of the ordinary.  My cholesterol was a little low, the doctor advised I eat an egg every now and then.

The only reason I found this post was due to my remembering what happened so long ago, and I decided to see if I could figure out what was wrong so long ago.  No such luck yet.

I don't know if sulphur or rotten eggs accurately describes the foul odor of the burps when I was in high school, but I do know I couldn't stand them (my head would uncontrollably shudder back and forth immediately following the burp, like a tic), and neither could anyone else who was anywhere near me.  

Maybe when I check back in another 10 or 15 years, someone will have posted the cause and cure.  I hope for all of you experiencing the symptoms that it doesn't take that long.  Only those who have gone through this can fully empathize with those who suffer.

I wish you all a speedy recovery.
Interesting reading all of these comments.

I started having these episodes in 2008, just like many comments the same symptoms. I am currently researching why i get this and seem to be onto something.

I have just concluded that when i get ill, I seem to have alot of pork in my diet. Bacon, Pork Chops, Ham, Pie with Pork in it, need i say more.

There is a very interesting experiment you can do with pork pour coke over pork loin or pork chops. I know your all thinking im mad but please read on.

I will post a link for you to read, its a young doctor studying medicine in the united kingdom. His journal and findings surrounding populations of people who eat pork in their diet.

I will be back soon.  
My husband has suffered from the rotten egg burps, severe vomiting and diarhea for about 9 years now.   I am just wondering, are any of you who have the burps followed by the vomiting and diarhea DIABETIC?  One doctor told him that his sugar would get so high that his stomach would stop digesting his food properly, causing it to sit there--- until it eventually comes either back up or out.  I am just wondering, if those of you who have the same symptoms are diabetic.  

Thanks for your input.
Having my first battle with sulphur burps,cramping, bloating....i thougt it might be bad mayonnaise but im on day 3 of pure misery!  I ran across this thread and it all sounds so promising.....not.
Pepto-Bismol - You MUST take it at the "rotten egg burp" stage. If you wait until the vomiting begins it will not help--nothing will at that point! I have had this issue for nearly 20 years now and sadly no diagnosis yet. I am convinced now that it is genetic, because my 9-year-old son has been having the same problem for a few years now. I have 3 other children, and none of them have this issue. I do not believe it has anything to do with what we eat, because we all eat the same things and yet me and my son never have this issue at the same time. All I know is a few years ago I read about taking Pepto-Bismol when the rotten egg burps start, so I tried it and it has worked like a charm every time--for both me and my son.
No, my son and I are not diabetic. I have suffered with this for 20 years now and my son has suffered for a few years. His is more frequent than mine, but neither one of us are diabetic.
My husband was given Metformin and it made him feel terrible. He was achy, had head aches, and always soooo fatigued from this medicine. He stopped taking it and now takes an erbal remedy called Glycemic Factors. This herbal remedy works wonderfully for keeping his blood sugar under control w/out side effects. To answer you - he is now having these bad stomach episodes. Thought it was eggs (bad eggs even) that caused the problem but experiences the same bad stomach pain followed by diarrhea and vomiting. Not every night, but often enough now where we are trying to figure out why. Sad to see so many are having this problem.
I have had those symptoms since I was 3 years old I was diagnosed with cvs (cyclic vomiting syndrome) I went to baptist children hospital and they gave me a medicine with a really long name that I don't remember what it's called
Both of my daughters began having these exact symptoms at about the same age. It was absolutely miserable for them. A friend of mine suggested a gluten-free diet when the first child showed these symptoms so we tried it. It was a miracle. Within 2 days the symptoms subsided and she never had a problem again...except once. She was on a camping trip with girl scouts and she accidentally ate some gluten. Bang! She was miserable with the same exact problem. Rotten egg burps followed by vomiting. Just a few weeks ago, my youngest daughter started with the same EXACT problem. We went gluten free with her and the problem disappeared. I don't think there's any doubt you're having gluten intolerance. The test you can have at the doctors office though does not tell the story. My oldest daughtered gluten test was negative but we know for a fact she's gluten intolerant from our experience. I hope this helps.
I dont believe it's isolated to pork, rather, any form of protein that is in excess that the body can't deal with.
For my son gets this when he eats to many almonds. Nothing else, just almonds.
For me, any nuts over about half a cup.
For my daughter.... any form of protein in excess, like eggs.
This has to be something living in our gut that gets out of control on the wrong food. Primarily protein.
If you want to solve the symptoms, kill the bug with grapefruit seed extract 3x a day, for 3 days.
DO NOT eat fat or protein for five days.
Like many others in this thread, I've suffered on and off with this for at least 30 years. Only recently I discovered that eating over a hand full of nuts triggers the sour stomach.
I tried taking a teaspoon of baking soda and washing it down with an 8-ounce glass of water and it seems to have cured the sour burping but not the diarrhea.
I hope this helps!  See information below copied from the Mayo Clinic Website.

Sulfer Smelling Burps

Giardia Infection

Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff
Some people with giardia infection never develop signs or symptoms but still carry the parasite and can spread it to others through their stool. For those who do get sick, signs and symptoms usually appear one to two weeks after exposure and may include:

Watery, sometimes foul-smelling diarrhea that may alternate with soft, greasy stools
Fatigue or malaise
Abdominal cramps and bloating
Belching gas with a bad taste
Nausea
Weight loss
Signs and symptoms of giardia infection usually last two to four weeks, but in some people they last longer or recur.

When to see a doctor
Call your doctor if you have loose stools, abdominal bloating and nausea lasting more than a week, or if you become dehydrated. Be sure to tell your doctor if you're at risk of giardia infection — that is, you have a child in child care, you've recently traveled to an area in which you know giardia infection is present, or you've swallowed water from a lake or stream.

Tests and diagnosis
By Mayo Clinic staff
To help diagnose giardiasis, your doctor is likely to test a sample of your stool. For accuracy, you may be asked to submit several samples collected over a period of days. The samples are then examined in a laboratory for the presence of parasites. Stool tests may also be used to monitor the effectiveness of any treatment you receive.

Treatments and drugs
By Mayo Clinic staff
Children and adults who have giardia infection without symptoms usually don't need treatment unless they're likely to spread the parasites. Many people who do have problems often get better on their own in a few weeks.

When signs and symptoms are severe or the infection persists, doctors usually treat giardiasis with medications such as:

Metronidazole (Flagyl). Metronidazole is the most commonly used antibiotic for giardia infection. Side effects may include nausea and a metallic taste in the mouth. Don't drink alcohol while taking this medication.
Tinidazole (Tindamax). Tinidazole works as well as metronidazole and has many of the same side effects, but it can be given in a single dose.
Nitazoxanide (Alinia). Because it comes in a liquid form, nitazoxanide may be easier for children to swallow. Side effects may include nausea, flatulence, yellow eyes and brightly colored yellow urine.
There are no consistently recommended medications for giardiasis in pregnancy because of the potential for adverse drug effects to the baby. If your symptoms are mild, your doctor may recommend delaying treatment until after the first trimester. If treatment is necessary, discuss the best available treatment option with your doctor.
My problems started about two weeks ago i had a  and has went away just a couple of days ago, anyways , i had a cold and took some cough syrup afterwards i had went over to a friends house for a bbq we ate and when i came home i was sick i mean really sick i had the runs, i mean it was like water coming out and when i went i only went semi clear with undigested food then the rotten egg burps started, i found the only way i solved this issue was i stopped eatng and when i would eat i wouldnt eat anything but soups, what ever i had in my gut i wanted to starve now its like if see bbq or anything related to it i get sick, im kind of thinking it was either the bbq (bbq sauce) or the cough syrup, or maybe even a gut paricite ( i looked my issue up and i want to say i had a giardia bug, could have got it from un washed vegi or fruit ) this issue has all the same problems i was talking about im kinda thinking this might be your issue too. I think its worth a look up
I am only 17 years-old and just started having this problem. I'm a teenage girl& have never had any stomach problems. It's absolutely disgusting, putrid, awful and there is nothing online to cure it. My mom said she had it for monthes. (She's 39) If there is anyway to cure this... Please please please post!
I personally believe it only happens when I get severely backed up.  The thing that has helped me the most is keeping my system going regularly.  If you notice, the nasty burping starts off, then it leads to the runs and vomiting.  I only get rid of the nasty burping once my system has been completely cleared out.. When I can't vomit anymore and can't go to the bathroom anymore because everything is all out.  I'm not sure if it's a specific food or something that I eat that causes it to start, and it doesn't go away until it's out, or it is just constipation and once I'm cleared out, the symptoms go away.  It really is an awful thing to get.  I have not eaten eggs since I was like 8 years old because I thought that was what caused it.  I know it's not, but I still can't bring myself to eat eggs of any kind unless it's an ingredient in something like cake or used to keep ground beef together for hamburgers.
IM NOT ALONE!!! IV had this now for about 6 months it started happening once a month now I get it 2 or 3 times a month :( I hate being sick I would rather let someone beat me senseless than be sick, anything Ivan do to put it off an I will. Im 18 with an almost 6 month old baby, I am frightened to start Mums an Todd's with my baby incase one of these episodes starts it's completely controlling my life. I would do anything to make it go and atop for good, for a month an a bit I actually ended up being diagnosed with anorexia as I stopped eating hoping this would stop it all :/ but I started eating again for baby's sake. Now its 5 past 5 in the morning an I feel so ill I have been up all night I am completely exhausted I cannot live like this can anyone help :'(
That's exactly what we thought my problem was. I've suffered with this for four years, and went gluten free 3 1/2 years ago, It worked for a year. But then my symptoms came back and occur just like they did before I cut gluten out. I've continued my gluten free lifestyle, but the problems persist.
About 5 months ago the problem became to sever to handle, with episodes nearly every night for a month consistently. I went to the Hospital and was referred to a GI, who thinks I may have GERD (gasto-esophogial reflux disorder). I have been without an incident in about 4 months.
Have been symptom free for 13 months. ;-). Pork was a starting point for us as we read a paper from a promising young Chinese student studying at the university of Edinburgh. After being tested for over 150 food intolerances and vitamins and minerals as per my other post, it is clear that we now understand what happens to the digestive system and liver function when eating too much of the wrong food. Ideally protein based foods or foods that put the stomach in shock and stop the digestive process taking place.
Colonics or colon cleanse is the answer. We all have parasites in our gut and we need to clean our colon out at least once a month.
Hiya a the first time I had this a thought it was just a bug or a virus but this is the 3rd time av got it now and haven't got a clue what it is soon as I get that nasty taste of egg in my mouth I know am goin to be ill am goin to try get dr app because a really need some think anythink that can help am on 21 and never had nothing like this before
About rotten egg burp and vomiting and diarrhea. Hey did they check your stools for Giardia infection? It has the same symptoms that recur over weeks, months...the spores live FOREVER in underwear
In late 2009 -- not too long after I had my gall bladder removed -- I started getting the "stomach flu" alarmingly often. After the 3rd episode, I mentioned it in passing to my doctor and she sent me to a gastro-enterologist.

I had a series of visits with two different G-E's (the first one ran a million tests and finally gave up) over about 7 months. For some reason, I can't remember why, neither believed it was related to my gall bladder removal. I lost count of the tests my doctors ran; but some of the things mentioned above ring a bell. I was tested for gastroparesis, for example -- and was diagnosed with "borderline" gastroparesis...which isn't actually a thing, but just means that my level was barely within the normal range. I was tested for salmonella (and actually I've had salmonella several years before; that was a much more acute experience -- VERY violent vomiting and dehydration that landed me in the ER) and more. Pancreatitis and all varieties of Hepititis were ruled out. Other tests (my notes include ANA, Ferritin, Iron, IBC, I Ca, SPEP, lactate, comprehensive liver panel) were all fine.

That testing all took time; and meanwhile I continued getting sick every 10-14 days. The episodes followed a very predictable pattern: small burps that were extremely sour tasting (rotten eggs seems like a good description) was the first thing -- it gave me anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour's notice of what was coming so I could leave work if needed. Then vomiting would start and last for 8-12 hours -- sometimes but not always accompanied by diarrhea. Then I would feel completely fine, and would continue to feel normal until the next episode.

Then -- suddenly -- it all stopped. My 2nd specialist and I were both stumped. I continued to see him every couple of years to get a colonoscopy (my mom died of colon cancer); and we would discuss the fact that the weird vomiting hadn't yet come back. Some time later I was also diagnosed with GERD, and I take Omeprazole for that now; and I have a host of other non-GI issues that I take meds for.

Someone above mentioned CVS. My doctor said that my problem definitely fell under the CVS umbrella -- but that CVS is basically a term doctors use when they don't know the actual cause of recurring vomiting. It's basically means "unspecified gastro-intestinal problem," and it allows them to collect a little info, file insurance claims, and whatnot...but that it's not a useful diagnosis if you're looking for a solution, because all it means is they haven't really figured out yet what's going on. That was how he described it anyway.

Fwiw, I've always had a pretty sensitive bowel system -- I throw up and have diarrhea pretty often compared to the average person. But the regularity of this series of episodes -- 10 to 14 days, like clockwork -- was unique; and the horrible burping too was not a typical thing for me outside of the time period described above.

Over the last two months, the burping and vomiting has returned -- 3 or 4 episodes, about 3 weeks apart if I'm remembering correctly. I need to start a food diary; and I'm getting ready to make another appt with my G-E.

I can't believe this nightmare might be starting all over again.
im also in AZ and ive seen others are too...
I am only 19 and have suffered with these same symptoms since age 9. My parents had tried everything and now I'm on my own trying to figure it out myself. Gallbladder problems run in the family (mother, uncle, grandmother, great grandmother) so would not surprise me if gallbladder played into it. Like all of you, the doctors have not found anything. Trying another doctor tomorrow so hopeful someone will finally find an answer. Over the years the these episodes would sort of come and go on there own and also seemed to be linked somewhat to stress. I've cut back on the stress and the symptoms are only getting worse. The vomiting is the worst part as it is so violent anymore. The only thing the doctors have found so far is antacids seem to help control to some extent or at least calm the episodes to some extent. I also have been of my thyroid medications and since then it has been worse so it might be linked to that. Try having metabolism checked as they are checking mine again and when I started with the treatment for thyroid the episodes were greatly reduced to the point I barely had them. I know that fear and sense of dread when the burps come on. In a few hours time if that my stomach will be hurting so bad it feels like someone stabbing me followed by intense nausea and violent vomiting until the contents of my stomach are empty. Another case of sitting on toilet with bucket in hands with really raunchy diarrhea. I know I haven't found the answer yet but I'm not going to give up and I urge all to keep trying as well. Haven't found any foods that really seem to be the cause as each episode was something different, many of which I have eaten at least a thousand times before with no problem. I guess I just wanted to say thanks to all who share, don't give up because we will eventually figure it out, try the antacids like prilosec and tums (especially tums at the beginning of the burps, it helped for a while for me), and maybe check into gallbladder more extensive or even areas you wouldn't normally think such as thyroid or other endocrine areas such as pancreas that might be messing with your metabolism/digestion. Hope someone comes back with good news of figuring something out soon.
Hi,  I too have had these symptoms.  First the foul burping starts and I know that I am headed for a battle till all is out of my system.  Mines usually last about 12 hours.  I had my gallbladder removed many years ago but this has started the past 3 years?  It was only maybe 2 episodes a year but this year I have already had 2 just this month.  I to have given up on the Drs to figure it out.  They have put me through so many test from the Upper and Lower GI to the thick drinks sometimes while laying other times while standing and holding it and even one when they have me eat a snack (pudding) while they watch it go down.  And still nothing.  I also have acid reflux for many years right now I am on Protonix I take it in the morning and before bed.  And am Lactose intolerant.  What I have just found in my research is to try a Digestive Enzyme but I need to do more research to see which is better.  Another person mentioned Charcoal but I will be trying the Enzyme first.  I hope that this works.  May all of us find relief for our health.  
I have been reading all the posts for my husband. He is having a terrible attack and I am wanting to find something to help him. I have been keeping notes of everyone's suggestions.  I, too, am wondering if trying probiotics would be a good start. Has probiotics helped anyone else?.
I agree. I ate (real) butter that I left out that I didn't think would spoil..Well it did.. how do i know? I did it twice.. I first got sick not knowing why.. then I ate the butter again last night saw the mold thew it away then got the stinky egg burps and explosive diarrhea and pukey.. Although I didn't puke much a mouth full both times everything else wad the same..
Were you tested for C-diff? Even if you were and if it came back negative you might still be harboring it. I had that once, Twice actually and it was difficult to ride myself of it. All the symptoms sound similar to my own then when I had it. Personally I do not think a lot of doctors seem to know very much about what these new emerging symptoms in the general public are, however if I had to guess I suspect it has everything to do with the way our food supply has been manipulated over the past 14 years or so.Since large food companies have begun to alter food and over spray with round up several new diseases have sprung up. Diseases such as E. Coli 2, c-diff and there are more. The over use of antibiotics and switching cows and poultry from grain fed diets to corn fed has altered the naturally occurring flora in the guts of the animals we eat. Just that change alone has resulted in E. Coli 2 from the evolutionary change of the natural stomach content that was and has always been relied upon by the se farm animals to help digest their food. But once those companies busted in and made those changes (switching the animals from being grass fed, to corn fed) all the problems came on to us as a result. I don't know what your answer is but I would try to eat as natural as I can, and your gut may be harboring an over abundance of intestinal yeast. (Candida) I believe avoiding sugar, alcohol and even vinegar will help along with a prescribed drug called Nyastatin. Well good luck and remain persistent. You'll eventually find the cause.
I have had the same thing! And am feeling like I am dying! What was the outcome of your doctors visit?
What did you find out?
I am not a Doc so I can't diagnose but when you said, "it goes away after I vomit", that made me remember something in my past. I described that exact comment to my gastro years ago. And they found out I was having Gall Bladder attacks. I had the test for it and I was full of stones, packed! It may not be this, but it can't hurt to have it checked out? Just a thought. I so hope you get better soon ;)
My girl friend is going through the exact same thing we are sitting in the ER right now it seems like anytime she eats any solid foods thats when she gets real sick, if she on clear liquids for a day or 2 she gets better and thinks its ok to eat because she is starved then it starts all over again. When she starts burping like that we know vomiting is next. She lost 20 pounds this past week. She been like this a month now. Doctors cant find nothing.
I go threw this for years I puck up all this rotten undigested food after the nasty burbs start but now its happing all the time use to be a few months in between now it happens several times a week pretty much when ever I eat I hate it if anyone knows how to help this plz tell us
I am going through this as we speak. But I get water like bowel movements. I feel like I am going to throw up but it never comes just dry heaving.  I am so exhausted from running to the bathroom and from being sick.  
I am now 14 into this horrible sickness.  I am now projectile vomiting.  The pain in my stomach is unbelievable.  I feel like death warmed over.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me
Part of what causes this illness for me are NSAIDS, that means no ibuprophen. I have been tested for all the parasite and came up clean. Basically I think for me it is a mix of gastritis and IBS. I have GERD and bile reflux. If I dont take my protonix I am certain to get the deaded sulpher bug. Stress excasserbates it too. Spicy food. Basically anything that could possibly inflame my stomach lining. Sometimes it delayed gastric emptying but always always it is gastritis with IBS. It might be different for others but there is no doubt the stomach lining becomes inflammed. I am careful to chew very well. Not too much fiber if I am going to be active or hard to digest foods. Probiotics can help but wont keep it away all the time.  So to sum up, for me it is slow digestion, inflammed stomach lining, bile reflux, IBS, and stress.
OMG I'm so happy to see others have this issue. I have been going through this for a year now, and it pops it's disgusting head up, just about every month. I am literally, tired of throwing up. To the point where after an episode, I need to sleep a full day to recover.
We'll, two months went by with no problem, but here I am, on my way to work, and the dreaded burps start.
If anyone has had this experience, has found a remedy, or medical solution, please post!!!!
I first had the dreaded rotten egg burps at age 10, always with nausea, then diarrhea and vomiting, both of which smelled just like rotten eggs, until everything was out of my system.  I would sometimes go years without them, at other times I would have them 2 or 3 times a week.  I'm now 30 and haven't had an episode in almost 5 years!

If you've gone through all the tests people have mentioned and still don't have answers, you very likely have gastroparesis or gastric emptying delay.  This is where your gut's digestion slows or even completely halts for one reason or another.  When this happens, food is just sitting in your stomach, not getting digested.  What happens to food that just sits around in warm and moist climates like your stomach?  It rots.  Rotten food makes you sick.  

There are many reasons for gastroparesis.  People with diabetes are prone to it.  In my case, gastroparesis was brought on by stress, good or bad.  The year of my marriage was horrible due to "good stress" from all the excitement!  

To avoid episodes of gastroparesis:
1.  Eat several small meals a day, instead of just 3.
2.  Always wait at least 3 hours after eating before going to bed.
3.  Avoid large portions (particularly meats!) as they are the slowest to digest.

If all of that fails, you might need an SSRI. That is ultimately what helped me and I'll never be off them again.  SSRIs can work on your gut the same way they work on your brain.  You don't have to "feel" anxious to have an anxious GI tract!

I hope I've helped someone =)

New here, but I am a pathologist and I have been having this problem for about a year.  I think I have a solution, at least for me.  Having had four episodes in the past year, I knew when I started having the burps about five days ago that I was in for another.  I had been theorizing that perhaps it was due to Helicobacter pylori, mainly because of the burps and knowing that H. pylori in its metabolism produces urea, a gas at body temperature.  So without taking the time to run tests to make the diagnosis, I instead just started on the typical regime for eradicating H. pylori: clarithromycin (Biaxin), metronidazole (Flagyl), and omeprazole (Prilosec).  Within a few hours the burps were gone, and now five days later I have not had the nausea or the diarrhea.  I think this is good evidence that I was right.  At least for me, the problem is H. pylori.  Time will tell if this keeps me from having a recurrence (the treatment is ten days of the three drugs).  There could be other causes of this syndrome for other people, but for me right now I'm convinced that it is Helicobacter.
i have had this exact problem since i was pregnant with my son in 2010. they couldnt do anything but put me on prilosec during the pregnancy, so i constantly sat in extreme pain with my pregnancy. but a month after he was born i had another episode. i was hospitalized for a whole week. they finally did a scope of my stomache and told me it was very red and raw. and diagnosed me with gastritis. so im on ranitidine 150mg and protonix. when i feel the stomache pain coming i take it imediately. and it seems to be a great relief for me. they told me to stay away from caffine,ciggaretes,chocolate and spicy food, and anything else that i find out that would trigger it. and so far working really well. but they said there is no cure. it is something i will just have to deal with for the rest of my life. i hope this helps.
I am 63 year old male and have experienced for 40 years (over 200+ attacks) the symptoms laid out in all the comments.  Usually 2-4 times a year but sometimes more frequently.  After recently having upper UI and intestinal tests, blood work and urine tests, the Dr came back with nothing physical he could see.  He is recommending Elavil as he is thinking it may be a rare disorder called Cyclic Vomit Syndrone (CVS).  I am also going to focus on what I think may be contributors:

1.  Reduce fatty meats - I love them
2.  Stress reduction - Restructure my professional career a bit
3.  Practice new patterns for sleep and sleep preparation - I have sleep apnea and a weak bladder which means I awake too frequently.  
4.  No late night meals
5.  Major reduction in cheese and dairy products
6.  Focus on healthy foods and limit my crustaceous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower.

When I look back on some of my explosive events, it was usually around stressful upcoming or recently past events.  I also see a trend of heavy fatty meat intake.  These are 2 I want to watch moving forward.  I have joined this community so hopefully I can report back in 6 months as to whether I see some curtailment or not.

Good luck to all.  It is good to have a place to read and share about this.
I have been dignoised with CVS recently as well after all tests were normal. My doctor told me there or only two types of treatment. One is a support system. In other words having family and friends help you. Personally I not only get dehydrated but become so weak that it's hard to walk and speak. The vomiting and diarrhea is violent. I always end up having to go in for fluids. Let me tell you though getting support is easier said then done, people can always drop what they are doing to help you. The second treatment is a drug called amitriptyline which is often used for depression, insomnia, pain and now CVS. I've been taking the new prescription for about 4 weeks now and here I am today having an episode. I can't even work any longer. After I have an episode, it takes me 5-10 days to recover. So frustrated!
well i'm "happy" to see that i'm not the only one. but very sad discovering that we'll still suffer from this illness :'(.
I hope comes a day when doctors will figure out what the problem is with our duigestive system because this is ruining my life :( i can't eat as i will and I m always watching my food. I developed a phobia. when I Wake up late in the night with those horrible burps i wish dying rather than living my night and day like a zombie vomitting every 10 minutes :'(. please dear God make doctors discover the cause of this sickness from hell
So I am having this problem for the first time, and it has been one of the worst nights of my life. My remedy to fix it would be to pray. That's not sarcastic at all, just pray to God, trust in Him that He'll take care of you. I'm putting my faith in Him because I know he'll take care of me.
prior medical history to speak of.  I started having these episodes about 31/2 years ago.  Mine would start like this
1) wake up in the middle of the night with a weird feeling ( like cold sweats, like when you have the stomach flu,)followed by stomach pain
2) Then started the "burps" ..the most horrible sulfur/rotten egg tasting/smelling ..sometimes flatulence too (also with the sulfur smell)
3)Vomitting

Once the burbs started, I knew what was about to come, and its very scary knowing what your in for.  I would sit on my bathroom floor, drinking bottle after bottle of water, because I found that If i flooded my stomach with water, I would only need to throw up about 3 times to get everything out, whereas if I didn't drink water, I would throw up little bits at a time, and it would take HOURS until it was all finally out. I noticed that my first round of vomiting usually showed undigested food, and the last 2 rounds had bright yellow bile in them.  

I only had diarrhea on one occasion. My episodes usually never made it into my colon/intestine,  as it seemed to start in my stomach, and once I vomited (several times) I usually was able to fall asleep.  I will say that after these episodes, I am totally out of it. My body needs to sleep for a long time to recover.

I went to my family doctor who referred me to a surgeon. My surgeon said it sounded like my gallbladder, as I noticed these attacks would happen after eating high fat foods. He wanted to do a HIDA scan, just to make sure. The results of the HIDA scan did show that my gallbladder was putting out the enzymes at a slower rate, so I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed. I did ask my surgeon what the sulfur smelling bile was, and he said "bacteria"

That was 3 years ago.  I still to this day have episodes. They are usually not as bad as they were before my surgery, but I can't say that Im "cured"     I find myself spending hours on the internet...googling my symptoms, and have come up with TOO MANY possible diagnoses...including candida, Leaky gut, H Pylori infection, Giardia, GERD, Peptic Ulcers..you get the point.  

Why is it that SO many people have the same/similar symptoms, yet there is no exact medical term for what we are all experiencing.  Maybe its something different for each individual as I can only assume that is why this has not been nailed down to one specific issue.  

I did want to add that I also have undiagnosed IBS, which has just started in the last 6 months.  

Also, I wanted to mention a couple of things that seemed to help me at times.
1) When you start to get the burps, start drinking LOTS of water.
2) On occasion, baking soda and water helped (other times it did not)
3) One ER visit I was giving a "cocktail" with Donnatal in it, also know as Bentyl.  Its a barbiturate that helps to relax the stomach and intestine. It comes in liquid and pill form, and is often used and given to people who suffer from IBS, colitis, peptic ulcers,  and many other digestive issues.
4) Keep a food journal. Log everything you eat/drink. I find a correlation with my attacks and certain foods.
5) When you feel like your doctor can't give an answer, or keeps chalking it up as "acid reflux" ....get a second opinion. Some doctors are just ignorant!!

I am a firm believer in prayer, and trust me, it has gotten me through MANY nights. I am praying for all you "egg burb" sufferers!!!!!  

3)Vomitting

My husband and my two boys 7 and 8 all suffer from the rotten egg burps and sour vomit I can't stomach the smell of it but it is exactly as you said when we smell the rotten egg burps it is a warning that it is gonna be a bad night it seems to happen once a year some time up to 4 days if they are lucky it is only 1 but I read about gastriparosis not sure if I spelled that right but you should look into it I am just confused why 3/4 of my family all have the same symptoms when it first started the house we were renting was covered in black mold I thought that was the problem and that would have explained why I didn't get sick because I was at work and my family was at home more often we moved as soon as we discovered the mold but now they all still get sick like that at least once a year which isn't too bad but when my little bits have stomach cramps like that it really worries me but I don't understand how they all have those symptoms the chances of them all getting that gastroparosis is unlikely but it may help you I am still searching so if anyone has and idea please reply I need to find answers and with it happening only a few times their doctors say its just a virus but I'm taking my children to the doctor in 3 days and I'm gonna suggest they test them for the gastropasis u hope this helps let us know good luck :)