Gastroenterology Community
Rotten Egg Burps = Projectile Vomiting

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Rotten Egg Burps = Projectile Vomiting

I'm a 43 year old male with a long history of stomach issues.  I take prilosec daily and have no idea what a "normal" bowel movement resembles.  Sour stomach, cramps, reflux and soft stools are just a part of life for me and I've been able to lead a fairly normal and mobile life in spite of these issues.

Six weeks ago, I went to work and took one of my kids w/me.  He loves going to the office for some reason and he had nothing better to do on this particular summer day.  Around 10am I started noticing that I was burping quite a bit and my son pointed out that something smelled like "rotten eggs".  I agreed that something did smell putrid and that it was in fact my burps.  As the day continued, the burps became more and more frequent with individual burps lasting longer and smelling even worse (if that's possible).  Around 3pm, I told my boss I wasn't feeling well and excused myself.  I drove to the hospital and the ER was empty.  Not a person in sight!  Wow!  I told the nurse that I was in extreme abdominal discomfort, nauseous and pain radiating toward my back from my stomach region.  Well, somehow that triggered the "high risk heart alert" which got me checked in in record time, and EKG, blood work, and who knows what else.  Eventually they ruled out my heart and I continued to feel incredibly nauseous despite the three doses of anti-nausea medicine they had put in my IV.  Once it was brought under control, they did CAT scans, x-rays and sonograms of my abdominal region.  They checked everything!  They found nothing.  My appendix, galbladder, intestines and stomach appeared normal.  They gave me two bags of iv antibiotics and lots of fluids via the iv. I just figured it was viral.  The next day I checked out and went home having missed a day of work.

Three weeks later, I started tasting the rotten egg burps again and about 3 hours later, I was heaving up my guts.  I'm one of those people who really, really hates to vomit.  I mean, I just wont do it unless there is just no option.  I will feel sick longer rather than throw-up.  I'd take a beating before willfully throwing up.  Anyway, it was an unstoppable force and it just kept coming.  My wife took me back to the hospital ER where they again performed many of the same tests which all came up negative.  They gave me anti-nausea medicine which worked a bit better this time.  Again, after 24 hours, the pain and nausea were gone.

Today, September 7, 2003 I'm starting to taste the rotten egg burps.  I can't afford to miss work tomorrow but more than that, I cannot afford to spend the night and tomorrow morning going through this hellish experience again.  It's just too much.  So, here's what I've tried.  I took 40mg pantoprazole sodium (Protonix) delayed release tablet and an alka-seltzer.  These were 2 of 3 ideas I found on this site.  The 3rd idea said to eat a lime or lemon.  I have to say, the burps do feel a bit controlled but I'm not ready to claim victory yet.  I'll post tomorrow morning and let all know if this worked.  God help me if it doesn't because for sure the medical community at large is not able to.

All of these posts going back ten years and not a single person has said they have been cured yet?  Please, if you have had this problem and have been correctly diagnosed and cured, post a response and let me know.  Or, perhaps you have had this issue and know of a means of dulling the symptoms?  That would be great too.  I just can't believe that after over 40 years of never having anything like this happen, now It has happened 3 times in six weeks.  Again, I'll post if my rotten egg burps have not turned into nausea by morning.

-Condor301

This discussion is related to Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps.
I suffered from the exact same symptoms weekly (and really thought I was alone in this!) since I was a small child. Rotten Egg Burps (the WORST part) followed by nausea, severe cramps, vomiting, diarrea (diarrhea), the works. Only after throwing up everything I'd ever eaten in my entire life would it go away eventually. Doctors never knew what was wrong and there's still nothing much online about the cause of this illness. After logging what I ate for quite a while, we figured out that the common denominator was RED DYE #40! I am an adult now who will not eat anything anywhere that even has the possibility of having the dye unless I can read ingredients (which is a TON of stuff, people! ...even some "white" things like coffee creamer packets and such...take a look at things and you'll be amazed) and I hardly, if ever, get this illness anymore. (knock on wood!) I go YEARS without being sick all because I simply avoid Red Dye #40. Just a suggestion because it's worked for me! Hope this helps some of you out there...
Sorry I don't have an answer for you or me.  I have been suffering from the same thing for about 9 months.  It happens almost monthly for me.  I'm a 46 year old female.  I've never had stomach problems before. The first time it happened I thought I must have eaten bad eggs, because the burps were horribly smelly.  I'd never had anything like that before.  Then I vomited all night long.  I assumed it was food poisoning.  Then it happened about a month later.  Same exact smelly burps preceded a long night in the bathroom.  After it happened for the third month in a row, I started keeping track of the episodes, but I can't make any sense of it.  Neither can my doctor.  Yesterday, the horrible burps started again!!!!  For some reason, I just had terrible gas and a bad stomach ache, but never threw up.  Thank God!  I hate throwing up more than anything!  I'm now online trying to find an answer for this. Every episode is the same.  I usually start feeling burpy in the late afternoon/evening.  I have the terrible burps for about 5 hours, then horrible vomiting lasts for a few hours, then I'm exhausted but feel better, kind of like a 24 hour flu.  What could be going on?????
I found this thread online, I have been suffering the same as you, no one seems to have a clue what it is.

I have tried antibiotics, alka selzer, you name it.  A "cure" works for s short time then it is back again.  I sense it is bacteria but am hopeful you have found an answer.

Please let me know.  I am a 46 year old female, I have suffered from this since about 33 years old.  I was in Phoenix when it started, has stayed with me in moves through 3 states so I know it isn't local flora.
Perfectly described.  I am a 37 year old male and have had these "episodes" for 19 years.  I have had upper endoscopies, barium small bowel follow throughs.  Unlike a stomach virus, the episode is instantly cured after throwing up.  I have not matched it up with a specific food but 90% of the time I experience the episode when enduring unusual higher levels of stress at work or home.  The sour burp is as if my digestive system shuts down and food sours or rots in my stomach until a throw it up.  ever so disgusting. If I am able to prevent throwing up or at least postpone it, I will have total liquid bowel movement.   My GP has prescribed a medication to help empty my stomach but did not seem to help when the episode set in.  I will be visiting a true Dr. House next week and will post what he has to say.
I feel a little bit better knowing that I am not the only one this is happening to!  Not that I am happy to hear that you are all suffering but I was beginning to think that I was crazy.  I am 39.  This first happened 2 years ago right around Thanksgiving.  That time it only happened twice in two months.  Seems that I remember the same from way back when, but not sure.  I, just like you all, start with disgusting burps.  At first these would last for up to a day or two before the vomiting would set in.  These latest episodes started December 22nd.  That time I had the burps for a few hours, threw up then felt better til later that afternoon, then was deathly ill with vomiting, dry heaves, then next day, had sudden involuntary rush of extremely foul smelling, watery, foamy diarrhea that came before I could get to the bathroom.  Talk about embarrassing!  The vomiting lasted about 8-10 hours with about 4-6 vomits during this period.  The diarhea (diarrhea) happened the following day and lasted 24 hours.  Then I was weak, but otherwise right as rain.  The night of Christmas, right after dinner was burping rotten eggs again.  The next morning started vomiting and could not stop for over an hour, with lots of dry heaving, I thought my ribs were going to bust out of my abdominal cavity, then that night diarrhea started and this time lasted for 3 days, along with fever and whole body hurting!  Now, woke up this morning with the nasty burps again, and immediately took a Promethazine and went back to bed.  Now, this evening I still have the burps though not as bad as usual but the pain has not gotten bad and have not vomited but am scared to death that it will.  I mean the Promethazine knocks me out.  I don't want to spend my life sleeping and vomiting!  Talked to on-call doctor today who says that I need my pancreas checked out.  Also, thought that I saw somewhere that these symptoms can be caused by Valley Fever, which is common in AZ.  Where are the rest of you from
I cannot wait to see what your "Dr. House" says.  I finally could no longer fight it off and was in the bathroom for over an hour last night thinking that I was going to die.  Once my body "sensed" or felt that it had ridded itself of whatever the toxin was, I was wiped out.  Slept until after Noon!  Now, my stomach is still tender, but no more "burps"  and am so so tired!
Hi, I was reading this thread and hope you will excuse me for jumping in.
have any of you been tested for parasites? I know these little buggers cause all kinds of havoc to our body. Might not be it, but something to check into.
something else, I just thought of, the stomach enzymes might not be breaking down your food. Can try papaya enzymes to see if this will help.

Hello, I have had these rotten egg burps when I was 15 through 19 and no one could figure it out they said it was just a tummy ache and it would go away, well in April of 1995 that it was caused from my gallbladder and they took my gallbladder which did have stones in it and the burp's went away for years and years well I also suffer from Chronic Pancreatitis, Renal failure, Cyrosis of the Liver, and IBS. Well just in the past week I have started to have those same Rotten Egg Burps and can't figure out what is causing them. I dont have a gallbladder so what else could it be. It comes and goes with the nausea, vomiting. I dont ever get diahrea so I am starting to believe it is a back up in the bowl's. but not quite sure. ANYWAYS have your gallbladder because that is what they said it is caused from.... I am not a doctor and can only tell what I have been told and experianced in my life...
sounds like something like crohns or colitis,,the boughts of stomach pain,getting nausea and especialy the watery diahrea.
andone ever check into that?
colitis is a nasty thing,,kinda like having some kind of food poisoning that comes and goes!
the rotten egg thing has to be sulfer/sulfides in the system from something thats inflamed,,say the stomach lining,,it has to all be related,in your cases,its comming out both ends!,,,no pun intended,but theres in answer out there,and if my research finds a better clue,ill let you all know.
Hello, I have had symptoms very similiar to those described in the previous posts..."rotten egg" burps followed by nausea, vomiting, diahrea. The boughts would last about 3 days and then come back a week or two later. During one really bad episode, I was so dehydrated that I had to spend 24hrs at the ER on an IV. All the doctors I have seen have no idea what this could be. I was diagnosed with GERD (acid reflux) and IBS....also I tested positive for h. pylori ( a bacterial infection). I was treated for the h. pylori with antibiotics and follow up tests showed that it was gone...I was also on meds for the GERD and IBS....of course none of it worked and I continued to have the "rotten egg" burps and sickness for many months. This started for me back in 2002 - 2003...it  was a high stress period in my life following a divorce. I was also on anti-depressant meds and sleep aids during this year. At the end of the year I got fed up with doctors that wouldnt listen to me and werent helping anyway...so I completely stopped taking all the meds I was on....ALL of them. Miraculously after about a month the episodes slowed, then completely stopped altogether. For about the first 6 months or so of being off the meds I would get the rotten egg burps only after I drank any kind of alcohol...but taking a Zantac before hand would usually keep it mild or stop it from coming at all. After those 6 months (around the end 2003)...it was gone...or so I thought. At that point I figured it must have been stress that caused it...or a side effect of the anit-depressants I was on...or a combination of the two. But, I just got another attack yesterday...after all this time of nothing. It was very very mild to what it used to be. This time it started with the "rotten egg" burps but they were not nearly as bad.....then I had mild nausea for about half a day...did not throw up or have diahrea....I was a lil gasy and felt weak and achey (achy) but I was still able to function normally and eat and drink normally. I went to bed hopeing that it would not be worse in the morning and dreading having to explain all this to another set of doctors again who would only think I was crazy or making it up. Woke up this morning and I feel fine...not 100%...but I was able to get up and go to work....no "rotten egg" burps...even after breakfast I still feel normal..just a lil tired and achey (achy). I have no idea what brought this episode on after 5 years of nothing...I am not overly stressed and not taking any meds (I just remembered that I did take two Acetaminophen 500mg e.g. Tylenol the day before). I was actually coming home from a mini vacation in Mexico when it hit....I did not drink any water there...and only ate one meal of chicken and rice soup the day before the burps started. In the last 5 years I have NOT had any stomach problems..no GERD, no IBS, no heartburn...nothing at all. It is extremely frustrating and scarey to think that this could all be starting up again! If anyone has any information on what could be causing this or sees some commonalitty on what the trigger could be...please post here. It is helpful knowing that I am not alone (or crazy) but also disheartening that so many people suffer from this for years and years without ever finding a cause or cure. Good luck to everyone.
Hi. I came across this post while looking for a reason for my daughter's upset stomach.

My husband had the same symptoms you all are describing for years. It was weird, each year, around the same time, he would get the "sulphur" burbs and then the upset painful stomach, violent vomiting, diarhea (diarrhea), etc would begin. It would last about a week and then it would be gone. He would describe his need to vomit from the pressure that seemed to build up in his stomach.

Each year it would happen we would go see the Dr - usually toward the end of his symptoms - and they wouldn't find anything.

Well, a couple of years ago, my brother - who spends most of his time overseas working - happened to be staying with us. I described the symptoms to him and how none of the rest of us in the house would get sick. He said giardia (I'm sure it is spelled wrong). We had him checked for it and sure enough - that is what it was. My husband doesn't spend a lot of time in the mountains, hills, hiking or anything - just golfs. They figured he picked it up from drinking water at the golf course. Go figure!

Anyway - have any of you with the symptoms been checked for giardia? Or something like that? I think someone else suggested checking for parisites too. Giardia can stay in your system for years without the proper treatment!!

Hope this helps!
I have found these symptoms all described as Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. (CVS)
I have been fired from jobs from this illness (accused of being hungover even though I've been sober for over 8 years!)
I have not been able to get a diagnosis from a doctor, but one Dr. suggested that I was mentally making myself have these episodes. I told him he was right, I look forward to some of the worst physical agony I have ever been through!
I am gluten/cassein free, no drugs, meds, or other, and no alcohol. I stay away from artificial food colorings, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, table salt, and many other poisons our govt approves for our consumption.
I believe the triggers can be combinations such as stress and a particular food eaten at the time, but I keep taking things out of my diet, and I still keep getting sick.
I have been diagnosed as having aspergers syndrome, so I can see a possible link to stress and these episodes.
It is best to keep a detailed journal of these episodes.
I have to agree with (janettorney) I think it has to do with the Liver and Pancreatitis. I suffer from an enlarged liver and chronic pancreatitis. I have the rotten egg smelling burps, and my stomach area directly under my breasts burns like its on fire and it gets hard as a rock and enlarged along with severe pain and terrible gas. I end up very nausea then with diahrea. I take Creon 10 which was prescribed by my MD. and it seems to help along with Morphine pills. These spells come on at any time I can't say what triggers them I thought maybe when I got upset but I really can't say that. They can last for hours to days. I find it best to keep from eating anything and just rest. I don't have my Gallbladder for it was removed around 1998 and these spells started June of 09.  A blood test can show if  you have pancreatitis if gotten when your having the attack. I hope this well help some and if anyone has anything like this and was told its from the same condition as I explained please let us know.
I am amazed at how many people are going thru this and in nearly the exact manner that others are going thru it!
I have suffered from the rotten eggy burps recently in my life since the fall of 2008.  I do have memories of having these burps, followed by upset stomach and diarreah (diarrhea) thru out my life, but not on a regular basis.

My recent episode started about 5 months ago.  I thought maybe it was a flu, and then rules that out when noone else got sick.  Then we figured it might be the fish oils I started taking, so I stopped taking those.  I have a bunch of suppliments that I am supposed to take and I notice that when I am NOT taking them I am fine, but then once I start taking them regularly again I get the episodes again.  I can't seem to pin point which one it is!  I am determined to figure it out because it is so painful and stressful.

Last night's episode was the WORST to date.  

As usual the burps started in the afternoon, and progressed thru the night.  So bad that when I did burp I had to blow it away and move from it fast because the smell was horrid.  As the night progesses on my stomach will swell, below my breasts, making me look pregnant!  It gets hard and very hot to the touch.  On the inside it feels like I am on fire!  When I take my temp, I have a low temp, usually in the 96 degree range.  But I feel hot, yet have chills and shakes.

Last night was the 1st time I had the severe vomiting episode.  It started with a burp in which food I had each about 9 - 10 hours earlier came up my throat!  I was grossed out. Then about 30 minutes later puking started and it was a dark brown.  It burned my throat like someone poured acid inside of my, shook me up and the I'd pop.  Never has vomiting made my thoat feel so raw.  It has been over 12 hours since the vomiting episodes and i still have the shakes and have only had water and half of a banana.  When I tried to each my stomach hurt and I was unable to eat anymore.

I have a Dr's appointment tonight so I HOPE that they send me for tests.  I will mentione the things I read in this thread, and I hope they take me seriously.  My regular Dr is on vacation and I get nervous with seeing someone else.

I am determined to get an answer and figure this out!  

Melinda
(GirlMom)
Oh, I forgot to mention that the latest episode that came on yesyerday, started about 4 or so hours AFTER getting a shot 1cc hydroxycobalamin (B12) and 1cc of a B complex.  It was a red color, so I was wondering if the red dye in it could be the culprit (saw someone mention that above.)  However, I can't remember anything with red dye causing it before.

UPDATE - I went to the Dr. last night, she thinks it might be an ulcer.  I am waiting on a GI referral to go thru.  She has me taking 40mg or Protonix daily.  

I will post when I get into the GI specialist.
What is wrong with you people? Did anyone read my post? I have had a liver biopsy. They found nothing. I had an upper endoscopy, they found nothing. I have a strict diet as I mentioned, still happens. Hey Girlmom, I'd be willing to bet it's not an ulcer, matter of fact if you do a search on symptoms of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and of ulcers, you will see what you are having symptoms of.
Read the first post here, ten years of posts about this, how come no DR wants to post on this topic? I see DR posts on other topics, but none here. Prescription without proper diagnosis is unprofessional and unethical at the least. "I think you might have an ulcer,  I don't really know, but here, take some pills for acid reflux. Just ignore the little pamphlet that has all the scary possible side effects (conveniently written in very small, stale print) and let us professionals handle this matter. Don't ask questions".
Wake up! Doctors admit that a vast part of their education comes from the drug companies who make the pills. Why is there no solid info on what we are experiencing? Because no drug company has taken an interest in it. Period. So doctors are steered away from the subject. Most doctors that I talk to know of CVS, but know little about it. imagine that! The rest have never heard of it.
Want to know the funniest thing about this? It might involve some other factors or a combination, but I would be willing to bet that stress is the #1 factor to setting off an episode. I challenge everyone who reads this to do a real search on CVS (cyclic vomiting syndrome). The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Doctors will start removing your organs eventually if you keep telling them you need help and they can't find a cure. THERE WILL BE NO CURE WITHOUT PROPER DIAGNOSIS !!! CVS is not known to have a cure, nor are there any meds for it currently, but everyone here sounds like they have it.
I will use my time to research more, but I just ask that you save yourself some trouble, time, and money by listening to those who have been there, done that!
Hi Scotty, at first I started to take offense to your reply, the manner in which you put it forth.  But I decided it was not worth it.  I respect what you have to say.  The Dr I saw was not my regular Dr.  I see a Naturopathic Dr who is not big on surgery and pills, but she is on vacation right now, so I had to settle for another Dr in her practice.  I am not going to be blind to the option of it possiblybeing an ulcer.  I am also not going to say it is not a parasite or stress related.  All make sense.  I am one who will check all avenues and not take chances.  I won't let Drs start cutting part of my body to biopsy unless it is absolutely necessary.  The only reason I am taking the protonix is to see IF it works.  My husband and I are big on natural health, but right now, we can't figure out what this is and just want to calm it down a bit until we figure it out.  For me, I doubt it is CVS because the last episode I had was the ONLY one where vomiting was a factor, and it was the same day I had a vitamin B12 and B Comples shot, not sure if it caused the vomiting of not.  I have a million allergies, so it could have been an allergic reaction.

I just read a little on CVS and it doesn't seem to fit what I am dealign with.  However the ulcer scenerio does.

Thanks for sharing you opinions and information.
Ever since I was 5 years old (I am now 43) I have suffered with this syndrome.  At first, it would happen about once a year, the rotten egg belch followed by throwing up and/or diarrehea.  When I started my career as a teacher and was extremely stressed out, it was at its worst and I was sick more often than not.  Luckily, coincidentally, I was in the beginning of an attack on the day I had a gastroscopy done.  The doctor said I had something called Bile Gastritis and he prescribed 1 gram of Carafate 4x a day.  It helped!  Twenty years later, I still take Carafate once daily (more if I am having problems).  I still get the "burp" periodically if I eat poorly or bend over after eating for some reason, but I try to manage it with the Carafate and it never gets to the horrible point that it used to.  Sad thing is my 12 yr. old son has the same problem.  It is good to hear that we are not the only people in the world with this - I have never come across anyone else with this problem.  Nobody can imagine what it is like unless they have experienced it.  
Im 21 y.o. for about the past month maybe a little longer I have been experiencing something similiar whenever I belch it taste of boiled eggs at first I just thought it was the foods I was eating which I found to contain no egg product in them and I had not had any form of eggs in months prior to this. Until yesterday I only experienced the belches
though yesterday I began to experience very painful stomach discomfort that dropped me to my knees and in minutes I was on the bathroom floor vomiting

Interresting.  I too had this in my childhood.  Not chronically, but enough to remember it.  Never thought anything of it until you said something.  When I got it as a kid it was only the burps, not the bloating, stomach pain, diarreah (diarrhea) and vomtting.

I will ask my GI Dr about Bile Gastritis.

Hi, I'm a nutritionist.  If traditional doctors can't find the problem, consider see a holistic doctor.  A good one.  And have a test done called a Heidelberg Gastrogram (google this)  Good Luck!
Hi everyone... I am a 25 year old female from Louisiana.  I am having the same problems as everyone else and for the same reason I am here online trying to find a "cure".  Friday, today is Sunday, I woke up with these horrible burps and by 9 am I was vomitting while driving my new car I have had a month!  It was so bad I had to open the door and throw up and try to pull over all at the same time in a line of traffic on a curve! With a cop two cars behind me!!!! My fiance brought me to the ER and I was brought to the back right away and hooked up to an IV and was given Phenegrin, Demerol and something else because I had thrown up nearly 14 times in a little over an hour and a half.  The ER dr told me that the smell was because my digestive track was backed up and that is what causes us to purge what is in our stomach.  Being a nursing major, I was hoping to find a real reason why I am always getting this. I have had this problem as far back as I can remember and never once has a doctor given me a diagnosis.  I have heard it is from sulfur, constipation, and even food poisioning.  I have had my gallbladder removed already and the only problem I have now is acid reflux.  My best friend also has the same problem and I never knew about it.  She did say that she has to let it go away on her own as well.  I was prescribed three meds, one being Oxycodone to stop the pain, an anitbiotic and some kind of nausea med.  Today my burps came back!  I am miserable but mostly because I am leaving for my first trip to Hawaii in three days for 4 days!   I am soooo afraid that my vacation will be ruined because of this horrrilbe problem!  I don't know what to do and I am afraid to see a gastroenterologist within the week due to unexpected tests and fear I would need to stay in LA.   I sure hope the rest of you find a relief because I am searching just as hard!  I never take pain pills but I just took that Oxycodone and IBS pill, I found over the counter, and my naseua med hoping the dr was right and this will help!  
I do not have this problem, but I was wondering if any of you had tried the bragg apple cider vinegar, the kind you buy at the health food store with the "Mother" in it?  I know this is good for the stomach, and it might be worth a shot as the drs can't pinpoint anything.

This is a cure-all as it were. Check it out on line.
HI again everyone.  I went to a new dr today and he told me that I have salmonella! He said that the smell from the burps are from the bacteria  growing and that I got it from eating salad at Johnny Corinos!  He said it is common to get it from lettuce if not cleaned properly.  My sister's best friend also had salmonella and she said she all the same problems as me and the meds he gave me will work and I should be better in a day or two, but for sure by Thursday for my trip to HI.  Good luck you all and maybe check into what you last ate and see if you can be tested for salmonella. I have been taking the meds for a few hours and already I am doing much better!!
Hi, everybody-

I've had the sulfur burps ever since high school. It would ALWAYS happen right after I would eat Cherrios in the morning. So I stopped eating Cherrios and it went away. But off and on over the years I would get it. Mostly it was just the sulfur burps which really suck. For a long time I havent had it then about 9 months ago I had a bad case of the
s-burps and it last about a week or longer. I dont remember having to go to the bathroom alot or anything but I do remember stomach discomfort. But today....OH BOY, I woke up with the s-burps and have had liquid diareha all day long. For the s-burps I downed a big dose of peptobismol and that stopped the burps but I still have the runs. I take alot of medication for diabetes, cholesterol, and triglicerides (triglycerides). So my stomach never really ever feels right. I havent been taking my cholesterol pills cause I'm waiting on the pharmacy to hear back from my doctor so its been about 3 days with out the pills and i kind of wonder if thats whats causing it. But reading through all your post I notice that for as long as  can remember I have never really had a great stomach. I usually have to go to the bathroom right after I eat something and its always loose stool. Rarely do I ever have a soild bowel movement. Lately Ive been reading about combining foods and avoiding processed foods and I've been feeling alot better but never 100% I always just blamed it on my pills since thats the #1 side effect of all 3 of them. Now I'm realising that maybe I should ask my doctor to test for parasites or ulcers. I do have alot of stress and I do notice that when I'm stressing out that my stomach seems to go crazy. Next weekend imma see my doctor and hopefully get to the bottom of it. My doctor ***** by the way so who knows whats going to happen.
SULFER BURPS ARE CAUSED BY THE PARASITE,GIARDIA:
: Having lived 10 years in India I am very familiar with sulfer burps.They are caused by the intestinal parasite, giardia,an amoeba.Giardia can live in one's system forever and can make colonies in the liver or in any organ.Giardia usually causes some kind of low-grade fatigue.The main drug of choice is metronidazole,but I think another systemic antibiotic may also be needed to really clean the amoebas out.It is very important when getting rid of giardia in my experience to cleean the bowels by:for several weeks prior to taking the antibiotic stop eating sweets,amoebas love sugar.Elinate meat from one's diet 3 days before taking the antibiotic and eat lots of brown rice and/or any other kind of bulk forming fiber to clean out the colon.Colonics are excellent AFTER the antibiotics are taken.Garlic pills help purge amoebas.It is essential so as not to reinfect oneself to clean one's hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom.Giardia is passed on by minute amounts of stool ingested while eating or ,as many gay men know who have gotten giardia, though oral intercourse,or in infected water,living around farm animals,going to restaurants where the waiters have giardia.I live in NYC now so I see a tropical disease doctor here,who can test my stool for giardia in his office.If a stool test is sent to a distant lab, the giardia organism dies and is not visible to the pathologist.A doctor who has years of experience with parasites is your best bet.
OMG my boyfriend stared having the rotton egg smells burps first, then one night at about 3 in the morning I woke up to him running to the bathroom throwing up it smelt up our whole apartment. The worst smell ever it has been about 3 weeks and it has only gotton worse he is on the toliet having problems from both ends we dont know what to do. He is in horrible pain and cant do anything because he dosent want to go to far away from the bathroom. Right now he is between jobs and has no medical my worry is he is about to start a job in Palm Springs, Ca staying in a hotel out there for the next 3 months I need some advise on what he should take while being out there. We paid 300 bucks to a Dr. already who gave his some soma's it is a muscle relaxer pill does nothing for the problem, helps a little with pain, how can there be no cure if this many people are having the same problems please help us? I need to know what I should get him while he is out there?
Do any of you have bulemia? Because I threw up once and put it in a ziplock bag with paper towels inside, then put it in a lunch container, and left it in my car for about month. then cleaned out my car, and when I opened the lunch container it smelled so bad, it was really rancid. I threw out the old vomit, but then later on I got that egg burp thing, I didnt throw up, but I had really bad diahriah. I think maybe something growing on the vomit caused it. Like some kind of spore or something that I breathed in. I am really not sure.
My wife has the same thing, it's been happening for the last 3 months to her, she has been getting egg burps, stomach cramps and diahrea.

It happens to her after eating certains foods but at present we can not asertain which foods cause it. She's had some blood tests and we are waiting for the results.

I think it has to be a certain food that causes it???  
I am not sure I understand your post.  Are you saying you collected your vomit in a bag and then in a container?  And left it in your car????  If so, why?

I do not have bulemia.  I have not found out yet what is going on with me.  My endoscopy was clear.  I am thinking it might be dairy related.  But really not sure yet.
I had all those awful symptoms while i was pregnant with my now 21 month old daughter. About 3-4 times a week i would get rotten egg burps and a very sore stomach that would get worse and worse till i vomited a few times then it would go away. It lasted about 6-10 hours and sometimes it would get so bad i would go to the hospital but usually i was in the vomiting stage so by the time i was examined i would be better. I've been reading all these posts but so far no-one has had it while they were pregnant. After i had my daughtet they slowely went away, each episode a bit better. I was seeing i gastroenterologist for stomach ulcers caused by ibuprofen but i knew it wasn't related. I am shocked at how many people have to put up with these symptoms while doctors scratch their heads. I live in Australia and i am the only person i know who has ever had these symptoms. Even though they are gone i want answers like if it's giardia why did it only present itself in pregnancy then go away after and is it likely to come back whether or not i get pregnant again. The only possible answers i can come up with (if you can call it that) is that a combination of things caused i. I had VERY bad morning sickness the entire pregnancy, i had the stomach ulcers, i was under alot of stress and whatever the missing link is. I want to know why gastro docs haven't been reasurching this and why the only answer seems to be giardia when in my case it seems unlikely. I really hope you guys get PERMANENT relief and i am hoping every day that i don't see a return of it in my life
i woke this morning feeling like poo,after having a poo!,servere tummy cramps,feeling sick,smelly eggy burps which are just the worse ever!!!!
i dont think its worth a visit to the drs....do you?i work in a hospital(not a nurse!) so think i will stay off work toinght with this to be on the safe side........do you think i  need to visit the drs?
Im a 20 yr old female,and am suffering with egg burps and really bad wind now !  this is the first time ive had this ! i ate some susi today so am thinking maby its that ? i cant go too the loo either.Can anyone help me please im in pain !
My Solution or As Close As I Can Get:

I've had the same thing for years, I'm not gonna explain, cause everyone here already know the symptoms.  I will offer this little bit that, is the only thing that has helped me at all, and am curious if anyone else has tried it.  I have tried tons of diets, over the counter stomach medicines, I will even add that I have had my appendix removed (not related since this occured about 5 years ago).

The only SOLUTION I found is, ADVIL.  If I take a couple Advil right away the burping begins, 99% of the time it curbs the whole thing in a a couple of hours, and never gets any worse.  I do not know why Advil, and not tylenol, aspirin, or stomach medication for that matter, but it always seems to work if I catch it within the first hour or two.  

Anyway if you have some input I would love to hear it, and I hope this helps some of you.  I have had episodes as much as weeks apart at times, and have gone as long as a year without any.  I'm a 29 yo male, I don't take any medications and never have.  The only time I'm been under a knife is to have my appendix removed.

As I right this I am having one of these attacks. The first time I ever had it was when I was 21. I am 49 and still get it. The bouts can be weeks or years apart. I suffer from Gerds and i am Nexium dependent .I have seen several Md's..General and gastro..They have no idea. What seems to trigger this for me is over eating and always sweets. A couple of times I had sugar coated peanuts. Last night I had butter crunch which my wife bought me for Valentines day. I usually get the attacks while I am lying down sleeping..What I have found that helps is to quickly induce vomiting..I know it ***** but you need to get this stuff out of your stomach...do not eat for a couple of days..Then slowly introduce mild foods back in. Stress is also a trigger. I have read every post on here and I am going to follow up with 2 suggestions..Most of the others I have already looked into...CVS or the Gardia Parasite..I have seen one of N.Y.C most sought after Gasto doctors and he feels it is a carbo overload. Makes sense to me since I am a Carb. eating fool..Not quite sure about that one. Most posts suggest proteins..I am going to look into the 2 and will post any results found..Also my Mother and Brother suffer from the same???
usually the burps are form over indulgance and alcohol, as it prevent sht estomach for emptying as it should. Pepto Bismol ALWAYs works for me in addition to charcoal tabs, but don't take them together. Eat slow and remember food poisoning is also a COMMON cause.
Red Dye # 40 is probably the culprit. I learned this by reading the second post written on Nov. 2nd 2008. She said this dye shows up in everything, including coffee creamer. When she eliminated it from her diet the problem went away.
I doubt very many of you have bothered to read that post, you just go on and on answering a problem with more problems. Hint: don't post unless you have a possible solution.
This started happening to me a year ago. I've had alot of different stomach issues.  But last year my food would just seem to quit digesting. I went to my gastro dr & he thought I was exaggerating. He did send me to the hospital to have some tests done. I do not remember the name of the tests. But the one test I had to eat radio active eggs, & they took pix of my tummy every so often to see how long it took to digest out of my stomach. I also had a test where I had to drink this stuff & they watched it digest through my intestines.  The tests ended up showing that I have this stuff called gastroparesis. ( I may have spelled that wrong) The Doctor told me once you get this, you have it for the rest of your life, on & off, depending on your diet.  Sometimes it can get so bad that you have to be fed from a feeding tube, thankfully this has never happend to me.  There is a strict diet that you should eat when gastroparesis acts up. To be sure exactly what this diet is, google it, or find a gastro doc that can tell you. But this is what my Doctor told me. Avoid raw vegtables, anything that would float in water is harder to digest. He told me to eat yogurt, activia, and believe me, yogurt has worked better for me than ANYTHING, sometimes it's all I can eat. Another thing is eggs, kind odd huh? Since you're having egg burps, its like the last thing I want to eat when I'm burping eggs. But sometimes you do get hungry enough when you cant stop vomiting, to actually eat eggs.  One thing that seems to set my stomach off is chicken. It does indeed rot in my stomach, so I avoid it like the plague. Other meats wont digest either when my gastroparesis starts.  Last year around this time it all started for me, so it is odd to me that it would start back up around this time of year again. I dont know if it's a coincidence, or if this time of year is linked somehow. But this time around, I'm having alot more problems with getting it under control :(..  It *****...  Anywyas, to be sure this is what you have, you should go to a gasto doc & have him order testing. But if you cant afford a doctor, I suggest yogurt, yogurt, yogut!  Preferrably, activia... Also, keep a food journal to see what may set it off.. And I will watch the red dye thing too, thanks!. Good luck to you all!
im a 23 yr old female, This all started happening to me when I woke up at 830 this morning. ... the nasty rotten egg burps then by afternoon my tummy started rumbling and began passing gas out the other end. My farts did not smell at all though, not even a tiny bit. By dinner time started getting horrible pain on right side just under my ribs. An hour later, my stomach was so swollen I looked like I did when was 6 months pregnant! My husband was now so concerned and sick of horrible rotten egg burps took me to er. They gave me some pink medicine kind of like pepto bismol to help w that nasty taste, and it helped but only for a few hours did it not taste or smell such as bad. Xray showed I had over 10 pounds of poop backed up, but luckily no bowel instruction.  Gave me milk of magnesia to make me poop. See here in a few hours when it kicks in if it cures me. Dr informed me that the percocet (codine w/ tylenol ) made me that constipated bc on it for chronic pelvic pain for several months straight. Dr said if once I expel the poop that's backed up, if still having pain under ribs on right side I need to go to reg family Dr to have ultrasound scheduled to check on my gallbladder and pancreas.  Keep u informed on anything I find that could maybe help someone else
Good luck

I am an early teen and have remmeber having these burps from a young age just no sickness they made me feel ill but nothing more. But lately i have been really really stressed and twice in the past month i have been sick after these burps i am currently ill now after an "episode" of it. I think it could be stress caused for people who feel worry in there stomach area im not 100% sure but i think it is possible. After an episode it leaves you with a headache, very tired, foul breath and sore at the back of your eye when you stand up and walk around.
Also before you are sick you get this gut wrenching pain above your belly button area. It is agony as it wont go away no matter what. Medicines dont work they jjst come back up. I wish there was a cure :(
I have having this problem off and on since I can even remember. I am 26 years old now. It doesn't happen to me as often as some of you have explained. It comes and goes without much warning and usually it's just once every six months type of thing. I don't think there will be a cure because this is something that can stem from tons of different types of issues. Sometimes we just eat something that does agree with us and then get a flare up or it could be a stomach virus causing it (even though I have seen it is not the case in some situations) and I believe that is why the doctors are having issues to find one major cause to link this all together. I think regardless of diet some people are just going to have this problem. Stress surely doesn't help anyone in this situation. Possibly avoiding very fatty foods might cut down on the attacks and try not to eat a large meal before bed time. Somethings that have helps me is chewing gum, at least with the nasty taste in the mouth, if you can tolerate the pain without throwing up then by all means but if you can't handle it sometimes it does help. Only eating crackers, drinking water or even Gatorade could help but you have to make sure it the Gatorade that has no coloring or hardly any coloring in it. Sometimes drinking soda's like sprite, sierra mist and 7 up will help but I suggest to switch with water or Gatorade to prevent dehydration. I know this stuff won't work for everyone but they are just suggestions that I have tried and have kept me from losing my mind from this. Although I don't have it as severe as some of you, it might not hurt to try these things out. Hopefully doctors will find some sort of link in the cause of this but I really believe more research needs to be done.
I have had this problem for many years now.  I had the vomiting when I first started getting it and severe bloating. Now the bloating is milder and the burps are just followed by bad diarrhea and gas.  I have had an upper and lower GI and given numerous stool specimens - including being checked for parasites.  The doctors keep telling me if it was a bug I would not get it again.  For the past few weeks I have really been plagued by it,  2 to 4 x a week.  This present episode has lasted 3 days. I have tried antibiotics, acidophilus, lactobacilis, zantac, prilosec, pepto and even benadryl (food allergy?)  The docs are stumped and I am miserable.  The only correlation I can find lately is corn but I have not kept a food diary but think I will start.  We had our water tested (well water) and even though it only showed trace bacteria (the allowable limit by the health dept) we still put 3 gallons of cholorox down the well.  Nothing has helped.  I am not the only one in my family plagued with it, just the one plaged most often.  I now have several things to search after reading these posts.  But I have to admit, I feel better knowing I am not the only one with this problem.  When it first started and I first started searching it I could hardly find anything.  I hope this will help someone else but I haven't found ANYTHING that helps.
i am amazed at how many people have been suffering from this problem for so long...the first time this ever happend to me was last year...May/2009.  it just happend out of nowhere.  im thinking it was some bad fish i ate. but i noticed that my burps got nastier and nastier with the boiled egg taste.  i was 27 at the time and as far as i know i might have possibly had this once in my whole life and im just guessing at that. the gassy and nautious feeling along with the burps lasted for about 3days...

i had a serious case of diarrhea and tried to throw up once but that didnt do much.  the diarrhea was very harsh...without exaggeration i was going about every 5-10 mins...i wiped myself so much i got a really harsh rash that took about 1month to recover.  thankfully my brother was in town from Hawaii and we always talk about taking care of our health especially with polycystic kidney disease (which i have unfortunately), but i have been able to maintain a normal life up until that time.  he got in touch with a friend who is a nutrionist back home and told hime the symptoms i was having and he said that it looks like i have an over production of acidity...he recommended some omega7 and an acid controller (Acid Eaze) for the stomach and i also got some Kyodofilus to get back all the good stuff i had lost with the harsh diarreaha and some alkaline water. it made a lot of sense...the instant i drunk the alkaline water i had a reaction in my stomach like a chemistry lab experiment that resulted in a deep long burp...i took 2 omega 7's and the acid eaze and the kyodofilus for later and within 45 mins i felt a major difference and by the end of the night i had only used the bathroom once or twice and by the next day i was 100%.
after the may/2009 experience i thought i would never have to deal with the eggy burps again...until this past may/2010..i couldnt believe that almost exactly a year had passed and i had to deal with this again..i went straight for the health food store and got my supplement list with the alkaline water as i did the year before and i only had to deal with it for that night and mid way thru the next day.....

if that werent enough i got it again almost a week or 2 later while working on a boat in the gulf...i didnt have nething with me and it was very unexpected. i got some motion sickness med to help control that and before that i took some prilosec otc and just had to ride it out the old fashion way.  thankfully it was gone by night time but i noticed that this time i felt a little different...i noticed that my stomach felt "beat up" after having to deal with this type of issue almost 2 weeks in a row. this last incident happend last week on tuesday or wednesday and i havent really been able to digest my food properly since saturday...ive been having a full-bloated feeling with some burning in my stomach.  it feels like what ever i eat just stays there for a long time...i took some manuka honey from hawaii and it helped out alot...but as soon as i ate something thinking i was feeling good, i end up feeling full and bloated with a little burn.....anyone know what this may be????
Just a thought. Giardia lamblia. Google it. Could very well be the catalyst for some of you. I too suffer the same problems listed. The reason I think this could be the link is I have a indoor cat. Like all indoor cats they have a litter box. My cat uses it all the time. Well, my cat also likes to sleep on my pillows in the bedroom. So I was thinking it is possible to ingest some small fecal material from the pillow the cat was sleeping on. Makes sense to me, at least how I may have contracted it. So from now on, the cat will have his own pillow. Good Luck.
Doctors learn from books, journals and specialists or experts. These sources again derive knowledge from research. Research is key. Research is also limited by funds the government allots. Government allots funds according to disease burden in terms of deaths and disability and medical costs. Currently the maximum amount of research is done in areas of cardiovascular disease, cancer, respiratory disease, stroke, etc. Another big chunk of funding comes from pharmaceuticals (almost equal to government (http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/303/2/137/JOC90144F1). These pharma are again interested in common diseases and drugs that can be used for these diseases. You may think burping is common but unfortunately, compared to all other problems, it is not. Which is why not many doctors are aware of causes and how to investigate chronic burping. They are trying to help with what tools they have at their hand. If they dont work, they will keep looking and referring you to specialists to find the real cause. Coming to causes of burping, there are a lot, as mentioned in the many posts here. It is important to note that foods and additives are changing very fast and research cannot cope up and explain what foods are associated with burping in what individuals.
My wife has been burping for 3 months now. We are in the same boat.
Have patience and try out everything meticulously would be my advice.
i had the same problem as a teenager. It went away when i moved away from home. I really think it was diet and stress related.  Now if i ever seem to have a bout of it, the first thing i do is to eat something to bind the stomach, like white bread toast, and i take some kind of pain reliever like tylenol. It has helped stopped symptoms from progressing.
I suffered ignorantly for the first 16 years of my life. seemingly random, at times I would develop the sulphuric burps, followed by twisting agony as the contents of my stomach moved into my intestines. Then followed diarrhea until it was all purged from my system. I did not get the involuntary vomiting except that at times I seemed more prone to motion sickness. I finally noticed that these symptoms followed consuming eggs. I quit eating eggs and noticed a big improvement. I read lables on everything. I skip most desserts. I really miss a lot of foods, but it really isn't worth the discomfort.  Even the egg white in a snicker bar is enough to give me a little diarrhea  and bad smelling gas. Also since being aware of the problem I have noticed that certain preserved meats give me the same reaction. With the preservatives(for me) Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Erythorbate, It is hard for me to really tell how much is in a product and how much it will take to set me off, so usually I just note what things are bad and avoid those products.  I Have had no luck with charcoal or digestive enzymes. I mostly am just very particular about what I eat. now I am 31 and have had maybe 10 episodes in the last 12 years.
I'm a 27 year old women and have havIng this problem since I was 10. Rotten egg burps, sour stomach, and diarrhea. My dr told me it was from not chewing my food good and then laying down. It's hard for your stomach to digest the food when it's not chewed well and laying flat on your back. Chew your food good and prop up or don't lay down right after eating. I'm surprised the prilosec isn't helping.
I've had this problem in the past.  The first time it happened to me it lasted 2 days.  I had it 3 times in 3 months.  Recently I had it again and the cramps were so bad I couldn't catch my breathe.  The pain was MUCH WORSE than being in labour.  I have been to the doctor for this and was told that it's a stomache bug, which kind of makes sense.  By the time I was starting to feel better my daughter had it (not as bad, thank God) and then my son got it.  We ALL had the nasty egg burps.  The problem with these stomache bugs is that someone or something is the carrier that's passing it around to people.  Once you have recovered, I recommended doing a thorough cleaning of your bedsheets and house (especially the bathroom) with bleach to kill all the germs.
Take Pepto-Bismol - I have also had this problem on and off for nearly 20 years. Starts with the rotten egg burps, then the HORRIBLE stomach pain (which is the worst part), followed by the vomiting and/or diarhea (diarrhea) which ends it. I have tried EVERYTHING and the ONLY thing thats works is taking Pepto-Bismol as soon as the rotten egg burps start!
DO NOT wait to take it until the stomach pain starts, take it at the onset of the burps...stops it EVERY time. After that I drink either Dan-Active or Activa yogurt drinks for a week or two and that keeps it from happening again for a few years. I do not know the cause and neither do my doctors, but I know how debilitating it can be, so I thought I would pass along what works for me. I hope this helps someone...GOD BLESS YOU!
Man I am so happy to see I am not the only one this is happening. It happened to me when I was 18. Power vomiting once a week for three weeks which all started with the rotten egg burps. Went to the doctor then and he thought it was my body adjusting to a heat wave that was going on. Definitely not it. Nearly 10 years later it has happened to me again over the past month. Waking up in the middle of the night and having the rotten egg burps, then I just know I'm going to have some horrible vomiting and stomach pain. I am definitely going to try that pepto bismal thing out. I was starting to think that I developed a sensitivity to eggs because of the rotten taste when you burp and vomit but I don't think that is something that would come and go over a long time span.
I have had this for quite a long time now, at first I thought it was eggs I was eating which still may hold some bearing, anywaysI have been through this for so long I forget, but I still believe that its either chicken or eggs and it is truely salmonella, also I believe KFC has something to do with it, if you eat there, It appears as if many times after KFC I get this, then I ran across this site www.kfcmademesick.com, and learned it wasnt just in my head.

So I have been dealing with this ohh say last 12-15yrs I would say, and I have narrowed it down or so I believe, to chicken or derived chicken products, which are often easily turned over to salmonella, but Salmonella can come in other forms as well of foods, its a matter of safe food handling, and we all know in these crappy restaurants today, it isnt happening.

To be quite honest I believe its all about a parasite in our tummys, causing havoc, do to either cross contamination of raw foods or under cooked foods or the transfer of a employee that didnt wash their hands after a bowel movement, either way its a parasite that was transferred and we ate it folks, I really have been looking into this for all these years, and I can say that after a decade or better, I believe its parasitic...But I do have a allergy to eggs that has came in this time as well so I just avoid eggs...because its bad news, with the same issue

But I am standing my ground to say whether its a bug or parasite or some critter its not good and our bodies is rejecting it.

So as for treatment I use pepto bismol to coat and calm the stomach first then later I will eat alot of yogurt to bring good bacteria in place to over power the bad bacteria...its a long ride and usually takes a full week or better, but out of id say 9-12 incidents its generally 1 week duration, and horrible at that..

so to the fella who said eat alot of yogurt, i have to agree, introducing that good bacteria will over take the bad bacteria, and I know when i read this forum 5-6yrs ago i was like yeah right i feel so sick aint no yogurt or anything gonna stay down you fools, but sooner or later youll feel better and hungry, then start a yogurt routine, and get good bacteria to over power the bad...Ill post more as years pass....But I wanted to add that Im wondering if any of you others ate at KFC or ate out somewhere or maybe some food wasnt cooked all through or something along these lines...

will post again im sure....Jerm
Well,
It has given me a bit releif to know that I am not alone here.  I have bad burps and seriously foul gas (my husband wants to kill me) I have never felt like throwing up though? I have experienced this 3 times and the first time I was traveling overseas. I can't link it to anything, I don't think its a bug, connected to food, or a virus. my eating habits are always the same etc.

The best way I can describe it is my insides must look like a bloated dead fish, I can literally feel that I am inflamed. I would, however connect that the food in your stomache does not help and once you get past a certain stage of digesting the symptoms ease off and hence makes me leary to eat anything. I tend to think it could be triggered by stress. Other than that I am at a loss.  I will continue to read the posts here in case someone learns of something new.  Continue to own your own health and good luck to you all xo
Do you have indoor cat with litter box?
I agree with Jermenee, and think its parasitic in essence. Most Americans are surprised by the possibility they might be carrying parasites, but really, they are quite common and hard to detect. Even modern lab tests for parasites are quite narrow in what they are able to determine.

I first had these 'rotten egg burps' after traveling to India and am sure that I either picked up giardia or another bug on the trip.

Luckly, it is possible to get rid of parasites (if your persistent!) even if you don't know which ones are bothering you. I suggest doing a 'Candida (yeast) Cleanse' (google it) to restore the equilibrium in your gut and then working on getting rid of the parasite.

Products like 'Allergy Research Group's "Artemisinin"' and Young Living's 'Para-free' and 'Tatva's Herbs' 'Neem' are really effective in killing parasites. They are both herbal/holistic supplements you can find online. If your doing a candida cleanse or a parasite cleanse make sure you are getting the dead stuff (dye-off) out of your body. 'Young Living' has another product called Comfortone, which is really important to take to absorb the dead parasites in the gut and move them out of the body. It can be really toxic to not eliminate properly.

i heard someone talk about yogurt and they're right, you really need to build the good bacteria up while taking astringent cleansers. However, most yogurt is inert, inactive and without live bacteria... most yogurt is not effective enough to restore healthy gut environment. The best probiotic we have found is by 'Natren', there products are the most potent, active and live forms of probiotics around. Be careful of just picking up any probiotics from the grocery store, probiotic products must be refrigerated, fresh and from a reliable source in order to work... a lot of the probiotics out there are ineffective. Natren's megadophilus, bifido, and digest-a-lac are all really powerful. If you get them online from the company website  they are shipped with a cold pack, ensuring freshness and potency.

Good luck! I really suggest doing the candida/ parasite cleanse even if your not totally sure if they are a culprit, so many people we work with (I work in a naturopathic clinic) suffer from these elusive little critters!

Get rid of them!

:)
I know I'm not alone...I have a couple of friends, including my husband, who get the foul sulphur smelling burps. I seem to have it more frequently, accompanied w/ painful stomach and body aches, and diarrhea that has no odor, but comes w/ no warning...It use to last one day, and I would only get it a cpl. times a year, but I just had it 2 months in a row. After reading this, it doesn't sound like anything serious, but it sure feels like it. I think the main thing to do is to try to keep fluds down. I like ginger tea.w/ lemon & honey. Good Luck to all of you I KNOW HOW AWFUL THIS IS !!!!
myself and two of my four sons suffer with this....after years of suffering i have found that i have far too much acid in my system...i hae used acidopholis tablets from the heathfood shop...sometimes taking 3 in one go....now i have lanziprozal tablets and sometime take 3 of those...my 12 yr old who suffers can take my meds and reacts well my 7 yr old can't....he has to suffer til he vomits and goes to the loo......so i totally agree with far too much acid in my body...please excuse my spellings lol
This is a stomach virus ... plain and simple.  I've had this problem on and off for 30 years.  It seems to run in my family, as both my children (grown and their children) and my wife suffer from this.  For a while, years ago, we came down with this ailment every couple of weeks ... one would get it, and all would eventually ... VERY contagious.  

I've visited the doctors and they don't know what the issue is, other than I have some kind of virus.  The egg-smell is raunchy, and will chase people of the room.  The nauseousness is the worst I've ever had ... only relieved by vomiting.  And, as someone has mentioned, it is projectile style ... and I had terrible dry heaves afterward.  The good thing, at least for me, is that when I finally get to vomit and the diarrhea hits, then I quickly recover.  One warning ... DO NOT take in food just because you start feeling better.  I've done that and the "bug" turns it into more vile puke/runs.
I,m going with parasites aswell if they dont like something you ate they will release toxins that make you feel ill.They are very smart if you get a bad stomach from certain foods you not going to eat it,so keep those worms happy and they will just slowly kill ya instead of quickly   ~.o
New to the site, but not new to the symptoms.  Have had it for the past 19 years.  No cat around.  Not likely to consume anything that may have red dyes in it these days either. Not eating eggs anymore.

The hellish agony of the infamous sulphuric burps, followed by the 2AM projectile vomiting and heavy diarrhea, then again the vomiting and not forgetting the burning coals in the intestines for the next 3 days;  yes! I have been there!  First trigger was supposedly alcohol in a brandy tart.  Then everything smoked was banned after other episodes.  Then it became everything baked and these days I am very limited in my eating since I am also gluten intolerant and have started to live on potatoes, rice, some meat, fruit and veggies a few years back.  Chicken triggers a much higher incidence of the symptoms than red meat though, therefore I don't do chicken.

Went to all kinds of doctors for all kinds of tests;  biopsy of the stomach lining has indicated an unidentifiable infection (whether it be bacteria of virus, they just don't know.)

What I can tell you, is what kinda works for me, since nothing is foolproof with this illness.  
As a daily preventative measure, I pamper my liver and gall bladder with Tumeric tincture and Boldocynara, a herbal drop from Dr A Vogel Laboratory.  When those burps or the pain under the ribcage eventually start, I indulge in tons of water coupled with drops of Fennel tincture to relax the GI tract.  When it still escalates to vomiting, a warm water bottle and nothing to eat, so the inflammation gets time to calm down.  In the past I have tried to eat something again within 24 hours, but with terrible consequences.  Keep drinking water, but no hot fluids for me since it only aggravates the condition.  Then again Tumeric and Boldocynara to boost liver function for the next few weeks.

And then, someday quite unexpectedly, it starts all over again...  But we are not nuts, it really does exist and we are proof of it, spread all over the world, but real.

Good luck guys, I hope we get an answer soon.
It's not eggs and it's not red dye. Don't think it's chicken either, I'm vegetarian.
I'm also gonna rule out stress coz I'm not stressed at the moment but I'm having a ripper bout right now. Just spent 30 mins on the toilet with the worst diarrea (diarrhea) I've ever had. I had a bit of stomach pain yesterday and the putrid burps started a couple of hours before the diarrea (diarrhea).
I first had this about 5 years ago. It wiped me out for about 4 days. Got it again a few months later. I haven't had it drastically again until now. I say drastically because once in a while I burp and can taste or smell a hint of it. It makes me think that after my first episode years ago, it's been in me ever since. I do get heart burn regularly and took medication for H Pylori a few years back and was tested again for it recently but it was negative.
I'm gonna head to the docs tomorrow and suggest to him the things I have read on this site such as Giardia, Salmonella and Gastroparesis.
I'm off to the toilet again, will post again soon.
http://www.healthhype.com/sulphur-or-rotten-eggs-burps-belching-foul-smelling-gas.html
Just read some interesting stuff on this web page ( healthtype.com). It listed some sulfur rich foods which can cause foul smelling burps. Last night I experimented with the following meal. I put 6 or so tomatoes, 1 onion, 4 cloves of garlic in the blender and then boiled this mix with lentils. All of these foods were on the high sulfur list. I think I overdosed on sulfur. Maybe eggs do cause this for some people! When I first experienced this I was experimenting with a raw sprouted oat breakfast. Oats are also high in sulfur.
The site also mentions sulfur reducing microbes: H Pylori, Giardia and SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth).
This may be the reason this thing is hard to nail down. If you have a high sulfur food, not necessarily eggs or meat (or red dye??) and you have one of the 3 mentioned microbe problems then the symtpoms are the same.
If someone says "I've had it, trust me, it's Giardia." maybe it was for them but for you it could be H Pylori feeding on sulfur after eating eggs. For someone else it could be SIBO's influence after having oats for breakfast and lentils for dinner.
All of everyone's symptoms I have read on here are exactly the same symptoms I got when I had Food Poisoning. I had it so bad one time that a doctor came and gave me an injection to stop me vomiting and dry heaving. Within a few minutes of the injection I didn't make it to the bathroom for the most gross watery bowel movement of my life. It is so very obvious that this is food/beverage poisoning. The best way to find out which foods/beverages is to water fast for four days, then add one kind of food per day until a reaction.. Then stop the last food/beverage forever and continue one food per day added because more than one food/beverage may be the culprit. Wishing you all a healthy life.
Have had the same thing for three weeks straight.  The burping of rotten egg taste and smell usually starts around 11:30 at night followed by the throwing up and finishing with the diarhea (diarrhea).  The one last week was followed by a terrible rash all over my body that itched.  I thought it might be something I ate and I also  called the nurse 24 hour line and they said it was food poisoning.  Not fun being up all night and then going to work the next morning.

TEXASMOM  
My stomach problems started over 7 years ago. Two years ago I had a gas attack and I thought I was going to die. I bounced on an ab ball for 4 half hours had eaten 8 rolaids and acid reduce pills. I was exhausted once it stopped I made appointment with GI specialist. They ran every type of test and couldn't find a reason.  I was told to go eat a large amount of BQ and if I began to hurt again it would be my gall blader.  Come to say I had pain. The only thing I could find that helps me is a teaspoon of baking soda and 8 oz of water.  I let the baking soda dissolve in my mouth then drink the water.  Within 5 min its all gone, gas and egg taste.  
I was curious if anyone has had these symptoms after taking a pre-diabetic medication called Metformin?  This medication was prescribed to me and made me extremely ill.  I stopped taking it but still continued to be sick and now I have these random bouts of abdominal pain, cramping, rotten egg burps, sometimes followed with vomiting and diarrhea.  Sometimes I can just lay in agony in the bed until the nastiness finally digests.  I have also had these extremely painful sensations of burning in the pit of my stomach that will give me back pain.  So far I have had lab work, CT, endoscopy, and an ultrasound and nothing has been found yet.  I am currently awaiting my results from a hida scan but I'm afraid that will yield no results either.  I genuinely do feel that this medication is the beginning of my problem and I'm just curious if anyone else has taken this medication either and ended up with these problems.  I thought maybe it was a try to see if this was the cause of anyone's problems.
Is everyone from Phoenix or az that has had this?
I am so sorry for each person who has been affected by this.  I have all the same symptoms:  the sulphuric burbs, the pain under the breast, rock hard stomache, diarrhea, stomache cramps...everything except for the vomiting.  I have been driving my doctors crazy for over two years.  They took my gall bladder out, to no avail.  Endoscopies, Upper GIs, Swallo tests, Hebda, colonoscopies...CT scans, H pylori testing---NOTHING HAS WORKED!!  My symptoms are also accompanied by dizziness, vertigo, and extreme fatigue.  You name the test, I've had it.  The doctors are now thinking that it's some kind of auto immune disease.  Recent blood tests have shown that I have extremely high number of antibodies associated with immune diseases.  I am scheduled to be looked at by a team of doctors kind of like House.  :)  If something comes out of this, I promise to get back to you here.  
Had this once before in my life and now has started again off and on in the past two months. The time before it turned out to be giardia and I suspect that is what I'm dealing with now. It can effect different people in different ways; some people don't seem to be effected at all and so serve as carriers. I'm not saying that everyone here has giardia but I'm sure that it is what many of you are dealing with. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to verify because it requires parasitic evidence in the particular stool sample that you present. You can get a lot of false negatives before finally getting a sample where it shows up.  And then it isn't always easy to completely get rid of. Main treatment is Flagyl which is very toxic and not something you want to take unless you really have to.
I also get these episodes my mother in law one day told me to get a spoon full of sugar like 3-4 shakes of pepper and squeeze a lime on it then swallow it! Weird it may sound but it really helps with sour stomach!
I just wanted to give some insight into my dilemma and what I have found that works for me.  I posted earlier so if you have the same symptoms then it wouldn't hurt to try this.  Probiotics, I had all the scans, CT's and lab-work done and I finally started taking these and so far I am back to normal.  There are several different kinds but right now I am taking acidophilus and I was also given some samples of Align to try out.  I just wanted to share and hope that maybe this could possibly help at least one person then I would be very happy.  I've lived with this for months now and I hate that there are other people out there that have to live this way.  Good luck and Good health to all!!
I'm having basically the same thing. It circled around my family this past month and i was the last one to get it. The burps were the first problem and them vomiting for a few hours followed by diarrhea and vomiting combined. By the end of the first day there were body aches and fever and sore throats. Then there were chest pains. We couldn't laugh or talk loudly without the pain. Then on the third day there was more diarrhea and the burps and serious bloating. For two or three days after there were still pains and an overall bad feeling. Apparently its just a virus going around my whole community but its utter hell. I feel terribly sorry for those of you who have it chronically. Hopefully you all will find a cure. My only advice is to not eat at all during an episode, drink a ton of water, and do not hold in the burps.
I can't believe how many of you also suffer from this! I've had this problem since childhood, but only within the past 5 or 6 years has it become severe. I have all of the same symptoms. Usually I will wake up with rotten egg burps, and within a short time I am violently throwing up. This will last for a few hours, until every last bit of food that I had eaten is out of my system.

Back in 2009, it was so bad that I was throwing up a few  times a week so I went to the doctor and she said it might be from wheat gluten. I cut that out and it did seem to help, but I still felt that something was wrong. From reading through many of these posts, it seems that this reaction in our body can be from several different factors. I personally find that the culprit is not just gluten but DAIRY. Before eating ANYTHING containing even a little bit of milk, I eat a Lactaid chewable supplement and it honestly stops me from getting these horrible burps and throwing up. When I eat something containing milk without taking a Lactaid, inevitably I wake up in the morning sick.

I definitely feel that this stomach problem has something to do with an allergy or an intolerance to some foods. Wish a doctor would figure it out or at least research it!!
I also have this problem, I have been taken by the paramedics 2 x this month and to the er 2 times..They told me the 3 rd time that they found my small intestine had gotten lazy and my food was just pretty much rotting in my stomache causing this reaction of sulfuric burping horrible stomache cramps and vomiting uncontrollable(no breaks) hours of vomiting,i just want to die the pain is so bad..I am not the only one in my family to have this my 16 yr old gets sulfuric burping/gas all the time,my 19yr old was diagnose with cvs(cylic vomiting syndrome),my 26 yr old vomits all the time,now we all have the worst case of GERD that the dr's have seen  in my family. my mother died at 50 from all the vomiting,my brothers,sister and uncles all have it to the point one esphogas exploded,and several have cancer from the gerd getting so bad.Now i'm wandering if this has something to do with all the sulfuric burps/gas x vomiting. maybe the H-Pylori is whats really going on (just a thought) ,anyone with any ideas please help..Just looking for answers this is no-way to live life....I'm 45 an have suffered for 37 plus years..
my husband took the same meds and was told to stop by a diabetic specialist. now he has these occurances at least once a month.
I just found this thread. I may have what you guys are talking about.  This has been happening to me maybe twice a year for the past few years. It starts by waking up early in the morning with a burp. The burps start normal, no foul taste or smell that I notice. Then the burps start increasing in frequency. Within a few hours, I will start having diarrhea and vomiting that begin re-occurring frequency. However, by this time, the burping is really nasty. I think of "Rotten Hay" for some reason. I dread the burping more than the vomiting or diarrhea.This continues on for maybe half a day, until I have emptied out my system I guess. Sometimes the whole process re-occurs exactly a week later. Then sometimes again for one more week.
I found that the only way to stop this whole cycle is to start taking Pepto Bismol as soon as the burping starts, and repeat it every half hour per the directions. Often though, when I do this, I will have a headache the later half of the day. I think I will start logging my food and watch for the Red Dye #40.
I like to think I have found a cure!!

I am a middlle aged woman who has suffered  years of  these horrendous episodes of eggy burbs, pain like you would'nt believe, the bloating, vomiting and diarrohea. I've been admitted to hospital, had endless blood tests, liver function test, endoscopies, barium enema and gall bladder surgery and still no medical answer!!
After believing that I was truly going to die after a particularly bad spell in March 2010, I decided that I would do my own research as I had given up on the medical profession!

I was convinced that there was a definite link with diet. So the first change I made was to go from cows milk onto goats milk as it is easier to digest (the protein cassein which is in cows milk is notoriously difficult to digest) I radically cut down the amount of beef I ate as that too stays in the gut for ages. Also I now eat very little processed food, no artificial colours or preservatives and definitely no Aspartame.

BUT the biggest most significant change I made was to go COMPLETELY WHEAT FREE! And now I feel like a different person. I lost 84 pounds in weight, after being obese for more than 25 years! and I havent had an episode since that terrible time in March 2010

I do take Zantac for acid reflux and It's true that I now have a very limited diet, but it's worth the price to be pain and sickness free.

I do hope my personal solution helps someone else, as I know only too well how utterly awful it is to suffer with this illness. Please respond if this helps.
I am effected by it right as I type now. I have had it before, but not for a good year or so. Normally a strong vomit an an advil heaps with a days rest, but I seem to be out of advil, and I have the diarrhoea as well his time, with little to no toilet paper. I have had no sleep, and it is now 5am, and I have been in the bathroom for basically two strong hours. Over the years I have had this horrid illness at work, results in vomiting at work and returning home, and once or twice at home in the wee early hours. I know what I ate last night for tea, it was takeaway, a meal I have had before and been fine, but I did each a chicken sandwich at a different town earlier this day, and wasn't feeling very well before I ate it.
I believe the burps are the worst, and the smell actually makes one want to vomit, the pain in the belly is horrid, and if you get the fever and sweats up, well they are just a bonus. Surely if it was a parasite I would get this often, when ever I had sugar or more regularly, not once a year or twice...

i just had a 4 day weekend, and now looks like i have to take another day off, with no sleep. I wish a glass of water could be enough...
Just an update. I have solve my sour burp problem. It's been all most 2 years free from hell. My problem was Omega 3-6-9 pills I was taking. I stopped taken and problem went away. Than just to see if this was the problem, I started taking the Omega 3-6-9 pills again and guest what? Sour burps came back. I now am free from the Omega pills and free from the sour burps. Thank God! I hope this may help some of you. Good luck!
I experienced several bouts of the "foul smelling" burp episodes, cured only by vomiting, during my high school years.  It hasn't happened to me since, over 25 years.  It would start with mild stomach pain, then the burps started and became progressively more foul smelling, until I could barely stand myself.  The abdominal cramps would become much worse, and I would be miserable until I threw up, then all would be relieved.  For me, Pepto Bismol made it worse, because it delayed the eventual vomiting, just prolonging the illness.

To touch on a few things mentioned in previous posts:  I'm allergic to cats, so they're not the issue.  I have always experienced acid reflux, for as long as I can remember, even when i was in grade school.  I now take 20mg omeprazole daily, which has most of the reflux under control.

I never discovered the cause or the cure.  I didn't regularly eat eggs, however; I did drink large amounts of milk.  I do not have any known fool allergies, and I am not on a restrictive diet. I grew up farming weekends with cattle, but never drank untreated water, and could never link a visit to the farm with an episode.  There was so much red dye in everything, if that was the cause, I would have suffered daily, not once every 9 months to a year. No other indoor pets.  My mother cleaned vegetables thoroughly, almost to the point of obsessiveness, and as a home maker, cleaned the home daily and prepared most of my meals.

The worst episode started just as I began a bus trip with our marching band to Washington D.C.  The people on the bus almost forced me to get off the bus and wait for my parents to come to get me, or go into isolation, due to the foul smell of my burps, that almost made others sick.  Once I threw up, all was well.  It also happened Christmas eve one year.  Santa was not pleased with the frequent trips to the bathroom to dry heave.  I do not remember diarrhea associated with any of the episodes.  

Later, in my 20's, over a coarse of about a year, I would experience the stomach cramps only, no sour burps.  This would happen once a month, never on a full stomch, and only with dry heaving, no vomiting.  My doctor prescribed phenergan for the nausea, but when the pain became so severe that I passed out one night, we did the tests.  Upper GI, lower GI, barium, CAT scans, x-rays, blood work, you name it, over the course of two weeks.  Nothing wrong.  Nothing even out of the ordinary.  My cholesterol was a little low, the doctor advised I eat an egg every now and then.

The only reason I found this post was due to my remembering what happened so long ago, and I decided to see if I could figure out what was wrong so long ago.  No such luck yet.

I don't know if sulphur or rotten eggs accurately describes the foul odor of the burps when I was in high school, but I do know I couldn't stand them (my head would uncontrollably shudder back and forth immediately following the burp, like a tic), and neither could anyone else who was anywhere near me.  

Maybe when I check back in another 10 or 15 years, someone will have posted the cause and cure.  I hope for all of you experiencing the symptoms that it doesn't take that long.  Only those who have gone through this can fully empathize with those who suffer.

I wish you all a speedy recovery.
Interesting reading all of these comments.

I started having these episodes in 2008, just like many comments the same symptoms. I am currently researching why i get this and seem to be onto something.

I have just concluded that when i get ill, I seem to have alot of pork in my diet. Bacon, Pork Chops, Ham, Pie with Pork in it, need i say more.

There is a very interesting experiment you can do with pork pour coke over pork loin or pork chops. I know your all thinking im mad but please read on.

I will post a link for you to read, its a young doctor studying medicine in the united kingdom. His journal and findings surrounding populations of people who eat pork in their diet.

I will be back soon.  
My husband has suffered from the rotten egg burps, severe vomiting and diarhea (diarrhea) for about 9 years now.   I am just wondering, are any of you who have the burps followed by the vomiting and diarhea (diarrhea) DIABETIC?  One doctor told him that his sugar would get so high that his stomach would stop digesting his food properly, causing it to sit there--- until it eventually comes either back up or out.  I am just wondering, if those of you who have the same symptoms are diabetic.  

Thanks for your input.
Having my first battle with sulphur burps,cramping, bloating....i thougt it might be bad mayonnaise but im on day 3 of pure misery!  I ran across this thread and it all sounds so promising.....not.
Pepto-Bismol - You MUST take it at the "rotten egg burp" stage. If you wait until the vomiting begins it will not help--nothing will at that point! I have had this issue for nearly 20 years now and sadly no diagnosis yet. I am convinced now that it is genetic, because my 9-year-old son has been having the same problem for a few years now. I have 3 other children, and none of them have this issue. I do not believe it has anything to do with what we eat, because we all eat the same things and yet me and my son never have this issue at the same time. All I know is a few years ago I read about taking Pepto-Bismol when the rotten egg burps start, so I tried it and it has worked like a charm every time--for both me and my son.
No, my son and I are not diabetic. I have suffered with this for 20 years now and my son has suffered for a few years. His is more frequent than mine, but neither one of us are diabetic.
My husband was given Metformin and it made him feel terrible. He was achy, had head aches, and always soooo fatigued from this medicine. He stopped taking it and now takes an erbal remedy called Glycemic Factors. This herbal remedy works wonderfully for keeping his blood sugar under control w/out side effects. To answer you - he is now having these bad stomach episodes. Thought it was eggs (bad eggs even) that caused the problem but experiences the same bad stomach pain followed by diarrhea and vomiting. Not every night, but often enough now where we are trying to figure out why. Sad to see so many are having this problem.
I have had those symptoms since I was 3 years old I was diagnosed with cvs (cyclic vomiting syndrome) I went to baptist children hospital and they gave me a medicine with a really long name that I don't remember what it's called
Both of my daughters began having these exact symptoms at about the same age. It was absolutely miserable for them. A friend of mine suggested a gluten-free diet when the first child showed these symptoms so we tried it. It was a miracle. Within 2 days the symptoms subsided and she never had a problem again...except once. She was on a camping trip with girl scouts and she accidentally ate some gluten. Bang! She was miserable with the same exact problem. Rotten egg burps followed by vomiting. Just a few weeks ago, my youngest daughter started with the same EXACT problem. We went gluten free with her and the problem disappeared. I don't think there's any doubt you're having gluten intolerance. The test you can have at the doctors office though does not tell the story. My oldest daughtered gluten test was negative but we know for a fact she's gluten intolerant from our experience. I hope this helps.
I dont believe it's isolated to pork, rather, any form of protein that is in excess that the body can't deal with.
For my son gets this when he eats to many almonds. Nothing else, just almonds.
For me, any nuts over about half a cup.
For my daughter.... any form of protein in excess, like eggs.
This has to be something living in our gut that gets out of control on the wrong food. Primarily protein.
If you want to solve the symptoms, kill the bug with grapefruit seed extract 3x a day, for 3 days.
DO NOT eat fat or protein for five days.
Like many others in this thread, I've suffered on and off with this for at least 30 years. Only recently I discovered that eating over a hand full of nuts triggers the sour stomach.
I tried taking a teaspoon of baking soda and washing it down with an 8-ounce glass of water and it seems to have cured the sour burping but not the diarrhea.
I hope this helps!  See information below copied from the Mayo Clinic Website.

Sulfer Smelling Burps

Giardia Infection

Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff
Some people with giardia infection never develop signs or symptoms but still carry the parasite and can spread it to others through their stool. For those who do get sick, signs and symptoms usually appear one to two weeks after exposure and may include:

Watery, sometimes foul-smelling diarrhea that may alternate with soft, greasy stools
Fatigue or malaise
Abdominal cramps and bloating
Belching gas with a bad taste
Nausea
Weight loss
Signs and symptoms of giardia infection usually last two to four weeks, but in some people they last longer or recur.

When to see a doctor
Call your doctor if you have loose stools, abdominal bloating and nausea lasting more than a week, or if you become dehydrated. Be sure to tell your doctor if you're at risk of giardia infection — that is, you have a child in child care, you've recently traveled to an area in which you know giardia infection is present, or you've swallowed water from a lake or stream.

Tests and diagnosis
By Mayo Clinic staff
To help diagnose giardiasis, your doctor is likely to test a sample of your stool. For accuracy, you may be asked to submit several samples collected over a period of days. The samples are then examined in a laboratory for the presence of parasites. Stool tests may also be used to monitor the effectiveness of any treatment you receive.

Treatments and drugs
By Mayo Clinic staff
Children and adults who have giardia infection without symptoms usually don't need treatment unless they're likely to spread the parasites. Many people who do have problems often get better on their own in a few weeks.

When signs and symptoms are severe or the infection persists, doctors usually treat giardiasis with medications such as:

Metronidazole (Flagyl). Metronidazole is the most commonly used antibiotic for giardia infection. Side effects may include nausea and a metallic taste in the mouth. Don't drink alcohol while taking this medication.
Tinidazole (Tindamax). Tinidazole works as well as metronidazole and has many of the same side effects, but it can be given in a single dose.
Nitazoxanide (Alinia). Because it comes in a liquid form, nitazoxanide may be easier for children to swallow. Side effects may include nausea, flatulence, yellow eyes and brightly colored yellow urine.
There are no consistently recommended medications for giardiasis in pregnancy because of the potential for adverse drug effects to the baby. If your symptoms are mild, your doctor may recommend delaying treatment until after the first trimester. If treatment is necessary, discuss the best available treatment option with your doctor.
My problems started about two weeks ago i had a  and has went away just a couple of days ago, anyways , i had a cold and took some cough syrup afterwards i had went over to a friends house for a bbq we ate and when i came home i was sick i mean really sick i had the runs, i mean it was like water coming out and when i went i only went semi clear with undigested food then the rotten egg burps started, i found the only way i solved this issue was i stopped eatng and when i would eat i wouldnt eat anything but soups, what ever i had in my gut i wanted to starve now its like if see bbq or anything related to it i get sick, im kind of thinking it was either the bbq (bbq sauce) or the cough syrup, or maybe even a gut paricite ( i looked my issue up and i want to say i had a giardia bug, could have got it from un washed vegi or fruit ) this issue has all the same problems i was talking about im kinda thinking this might be your issue too. I think its worth a look up
I am only 17 years-old and just started having this problem. I'm a teenage girl& have never had any stomach problems. It's absolutely disgusting, putrid, awful and there is nothing online to cure it. My mom said she had it for monthes. (She's 39) If there is anyway to cure this... Please please please post!
I personally believe it only happens when I get severely backed up.  The thing that has helped me the most is keeping my system going regularly.  If you notice, the nasty burping starts off, then it leads to the runs and vomiting.  I only get rid of the nasty burping once my system has been completely cleared out.. When I can't vomit anymore and can't go to the bathroom anymore because everything is all out.  I'm not sure if it's a specific food or something that I eat that causes it to start, and it doesn't go away until it's out, or it is just constipation and once I'm cleared out, the symptoms go away.  It really is an awful thing to get.  I have not eaten eggs since I was like 8 years old because I thought that was what caused it.  I know it's not, but I still can't bring myself to eat eggs of any kind unless it's an ingredient in something like cake or used to keep ground beef together for hamburgers.
IM NOT ALONE!!! IV had this now for about 6 months it started happening once a month now I get it 2 or 3 times a month :( I hate being sick I would rather let someone beat me senseless than be sick, anything Ivan do to put it off an I will. Im 18 with an almost 6 month old baby, I am frightened to start Mums an Todd's with my baby incase one of these episodes starts it's completely controlling my life. I would do anything to make it go and atop for good, for a month an a bit I actually ended up being diagnosed with anorexia as I stopped eating hoping this would stop it all :/ but I started eating again for baby's sake. Now its 5 past 5 in the morning an I feel so ill I have been up all night I am completely exhausted I cannot live like this can anyone help :'(
That's exactly what we thought my problem was. I've suffered with this for four years, and went gluten free 3 1/2 years ago, It worked for a year. But then my symptoms came back and occur just like they did before I cut gluten out. I've continued my gluten free lifestyle, but the problems persist.
About 5 months ago the problem became to sever to handle, with episodes nearly every night for a month consistently. I went to the Hospital and was referred to a GI, who thinks I may have GERD (gasto-esophogial reflux disorder). I have been without an incident in about 4 months.
Have been symptom free for 13 months. ;-). Pork was a starting point for us as we read a paper from a promising young Chinese student studying at the university of Edinburgh. After being tested for over 150 food intolerances and vitamins and minerals as per my other post, it is clear that we now understand what happens to the digestive system and liver function when eating too much of the wrong food. Ideally protein based foods or foods that put the stomach in shock and stop the digestive process taking place.
Colonics or colon cleanse is the answer. We all have parasites in our gut and we need to clean our colon out at least once a month.
Hiya a the first time I had this a thought it was just a bug or a virus but this is the 3rd time av got it now and haven't got a clue what it is soon as I get that nasty taste of egg in my mouth I know am goin to be ill am goin to try get dr app because a really need some think anythink that can help am on 21 and never had nothing like this before
About rotten egg burp and vomiting and diarrhea. Hey did they check your stools for Giardia infection? It has the same symptoms that recur over weeks, months...the spores live FOREVER in underwear
In late 2009 -- not too long after I had my gall bladder removed -- I started getting the "stomach flu" alarmingly often. After the 3rd episode, I mentioned it in passing to my doctor and she sent me to a gastro-enterologist.

I had a series of visits with two different G-E's (the first one ran a million tests and finally gave up) over about 7 months. For some reason, I can't remember why, neither believed it was related to my gall bladder removal. I lost count of the tests my doctors ran; but some of the things mentioned above ring a bell. I was tested for gastroparesis, for example -- and was diagnosed with "borderline" gastroparesis...which isn't actually a thing, but just means that my level was barely within the normal range. I was tested for salmonella (and actually I've had salmonella several years before; that was a much more acute experience -- VERY violent vomiting and dehydration that landed me in the ER) and more. Pancreatitis and all varieties of Hepititis (hepatitis) were ruled out. Other tests (my notes include ANA, Ferritin, Iron, IBC, I Ca, SPEP, lactate, comprehensive liver panel) were all fine.

That testing all took time; and meanwhile I continued getting sick every 10-14 days. The episodes followed a very predictable pattern: small burps that were extremely sour tasting (rotten eggs seems like a good description) was the first thing -- it gave me anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour's notice of what was coming so I could leave work if needed. Then vomiting would start and last for 8-12 hours -- sometimes but not always accompanied by diarrhea. Then I would feel completely fine, and would continue to feel normal until the next episode.

Then -- suddenly -- it all stopped. My 2nd specialist and I were both stumped. I continued to see him every couple of years to get a colonoscopy (my mom died of colon cancer); and we would discuss the fact that the weird vomiting hadn't yet come back. Some time later I was also diagnosed with GERD, and I take Omeprazole for that now; and I have a host of other non-GI issues that I take meds for.

Someone above mentioned CVS. My doctor said that my problem definitely fell under the CVS umbrella -- but that CVS is basically a term doctors use when they don't know the actual cause of recurring vomiting. It's basically means "unspecified gastro-intestinal problem," and it allows them to collect a little info, file insurance claims, and whatnot...but that it's not a useful diagnosis if you're looking for a solution, because all it means is they haven't really figured out yet what's going on. That was how he described it anyway.

Fwiw, I've always had a pretty sensitive bowel system -- I throw up and have diarrhea pretty often compared to the average person. But the regularity of this series of episodes -- 10 to 14 days, like clockwork -- was unique; and the horrible burping too was not a typical thing for me outside of the time period described above.

Over the last two months, the burping and vomiting has returned -- 3 or 4 episodes, about 3 weeks apart if I'm remembering correctly. I need to start a food diary; and I'm getting ready to make another appt with my G-E.

I can't believe this nightmare might be starting all over again.
im also in AZ and ive seen others are too...
I am only 19 and have suffered with these same symptoms since age 9. My parents had tried everything and now I'm on my own trying to figure it out myself. Gallbladder problems run in the family (mother, uncle, grandmother, great grandmother) so would not surprise me if gallbladder played into it. Like all of you, the doctors have not found anything. Trying another doctor tomorrow so hopeful someone will finally find an answer. Over the years the these episodes would sort of come and go on there own and also seemed to be linked somewhat to stress. I've cut back on the stress and the symptoms are only getting worse. The vomiting is the worst part as it is so violent anymore. The only thing the doctors have found so far is antacids seem to help control to some extent or at least calm the episodes to some extent. I also have been of my thyroid medications and since then it has been worse so it might be linked to that. Try having metabolism checked as they are checking mine again and when I started with the treatment for thyroid the episodes were greatly reduced to the point I barely had them. I know that fear and sense of dread when the burps come on. In a few hours time if that my stomach will be hurting so bad it feels like someone stabbing me followed by intense nausea and violent vomiting until the contents of my stomach are empty. Another case of sitting on toilet with bucket in hands with really raunchy diarrhea. I know I haven't found the answer yet but I'm not going to give up and I urge all to keep trying as well. Haven't found any foods that really seem to be the cause as each episode was something different, many of which I have eaten at least a thousand times before with no problem. I guess I just wanted to say thanks to all who share, don't give up because we will eventually figure it out, try the antacids like prilosec and tums (especially tums at the beginning of the burps, it helped for a while for me), and maybe check into gallbladder more extensive or even areas you wouldn't normally think such as thyroid or other endocrine areas such as pancreas that might be messing with your metabolism/digestion. Hope someone comes back with good news of figuring something out soon.
Hi,  I too have had these symptoms.  First the foul burping starts and I know that I am headed for a battle till all is out of my system.  Mines usually last about 12 hours.  I had my gallbladder removed many years ago but this has started the past 3 years?  It was only maybe 2 episodes a year but this year I have already had 2 just this month.  I to have given up on the Drs to figure it out.  They have put me through so many test from the Upper and Lower GI to the thick drinks sometimes while laying other times while standing and holding it and even one when they have me eat a snack (pudding) while they watch it go down.  And still nothing.  I also have acid reflux for many years right now I am on Protonix I take it in the morning and before bed.  And am Lactose intolerant.  What I have just found in my research is to try a Digestive Enzyme but I need to do more research to see which is better.  Another person mentioned Charcoal but I will be trying the Enzyme first.  I hope that this works.  May all of us find relief for our health.  
I have been reading all the posts for my husband. He is having a terrible attack and I am wanting to find something to help him. I have been keeping notes of everyone's suggestions.  I, too, am wondering if trying probiotics would be a good start. Has probiotics helped anyone else?.