Smoky Odor
I am emitting a smoky, burning odor - someone likened it to a wood stove.  It comes and goes, currently at least daily, and lasts for several hours.  My internist never heard of anything like it, and I am being referred to a gastroenterologist and EGD, but  have to wait a month for the test and follow with app't.  
Meanwhile, at work, (people are commenting on the odor, can't figure out where it's coming from!) and I am increasingly fearful of what it might be.  I have a long history of GERD, with minimal GERD symptoms over the past several years.  I can't find anything remotely like this on the internet.  It's NOT just that I smell the smoky smell, it's that I am emitting this odor and it is smelled by others and everyone nearby, even my clothes have the odor when I first take them off.
Has anyone ever heard of this?
Are you ommiting it from your mouth or pores or somewhere else??
Also anything new added to diet or vitamins, herbs??
Maybe go for blood test and have them check for meatalic substances??
It seems to come from my upper torso, but can smell it on my hands and arms.  It seems to seep, like smoke, through my skin.  I have not added any vitamins, herbs, or anything to my diet, nor have I had any lifestyle changes.  
Hi Kate,

Certain skin conditions can cause body odor like yeast, or an overgrowth of bacteria; oily skin can as well. Advanced liver and kidney disease can also cause an odor.
I too have this smoky odor problem.Usually it comes from my hands and my face..Mine is an oily skin.My skin looks healthy otherwise..I have undergone Liver and kidney tests and the reports came out fine..

Any idea on how to find skin conditions which causes this yeast odor on skin.
Mine is more a smell, almost like it's coming from inside me.  It is definitelynot oilyskin, as I am and always have been very dry.  I have had numerous tests, including bloodwork, EGD and colonoscopy, with negative results.
  In extensive internet searching, I came upon a guy in Philadelphia who studies this and says it's related to :Trimethylaminuria.
   I found his site through a San Diego Union article on the web. You can send him some type of sample and have it tested.  If I can find it, I'll send the website to you.

The article is on Dr. Preti at http://ww.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070426/news_lz1c26citizen.html

I've kind of given up on getting an answer.  I think my internist and the gastroenterologist think I am crazy!!  I sense the odor coming from my chest and face area, but swear I can sometimes smell it on my forearms.  
You never mentioned if your are a smoker? will you please answer that question? I can smell smokers several fee away...I used to smoke and at that time I could not smell smoke on other people or in rooms....but now that I stopped smoking I can smell smokers./
Do you have a white or yellow coating on your tongue? You also have breath odor? You said the odor is seeping from your upper body and face. Maybe you should see an otolaryngologist. Maybe it is an infection or bacterial growth in your esophogas or upper gastrointestinal tract.
No, I don't have a white or yellow coating on my tongue.  I don't have breath odor.  
I did have an EGD and colonoscopy, with no findings.