Gastroenterology Community
Sternum pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Sternum pain

I am experiencing a sharp pain in my sternum when reaching for something or when make slight movement to the right or left.  It feel like some type of muscle strain, but it is not consistent.  any thought as to what it could be?
Do you have heartburn, do you burp, or you're bloated? How old are you, male/female? Any fever, even slight? Difficult swallowing?
Avatar n tn
40 year old male.  No heartburn.  Pain does seem to occur after meals.  But again, it does not occur everyday or after every meal.  It is just strange through.  It feel like a sevear muscle strain that occurs when a move a certain way and then disappears once I return to my previous position.  But, I could make the same movement later and it will not occur.  I'm puzzled.  Thanks for your help.  GGG
Hm, "changing position" pain can be from:
- costohondritis: inflammation of the "joint" between the rib and the sternum (this would be sensitive to pressure)
- broken rib or detached/torn muscle
- pleuritis: inflammation/infection of outer lung membrane
- pericarditis
- spontaneous pneumothorax
- aortic aneurysm

"After eating" pain may be from
- gastric ulcer (reflux)
- bloating

Have you had some investigation so far? In which third of sternum is the pain: upper, midle, lower? And just behind the sternum? When you press at the area, you feel pain? When this started? Any physical "event" happened? How's the pain at night?

Avatar n tn
Wow!  No I have not been to have this checked yet.  With it coming and going, I feel that it would be like taking my car to the mechanic and it working just fine for him.  

I would say the pain originates in the middle.  It does seem to be behind the sternum, but more on top.  After experiencing the pain, the area is somewhat sore to the touch, but does also go away.  No specific physical event that I can recall.  And no issues really at night.  Thanks again for your help.  GGG
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

What do you think?
Also here:
http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/costochondritis.html