Gastroenterology Community
Stomach Pains trying omeprazole

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach Pains trying omeprazole

I have always had a weak stomach. If I eat out or eat fast food, I had trouble getting to sleep from pain. Now, for the past 3 months, I have had stomach pain almost after every meal I eat. I though it might be the food, but it hurts after something as simple as salad. The pain is below the naval. It hurts while going to bed to the point I stay awake. I tried not laying down 2 hours after my meal, but it doesn't matter. What I do is take an antacid + acid reducer to get to sleep. I told my doctor and he recommended to try omeprazole (40 mg) for 30 days.  I do not think that I have acid reflux, because my throat or esophagus does not hurt and there is no heart burn. All the pain is in the lower stomach. By stretching, or taking off elastic from undergarment, I can get relief from the pain. I thought the omeprazole was working, until recently when I had Taco Bell and my stomach hurt again. Doctor also said I could be lactose intolerant, but it is not set off by milk...
I do not know what is wrong with me. Do I have ulcers? Should I see a gastroenterologists instead of my pediatrician?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Sometimes you can have acid reflux without heartburn.  How old are you?  I think it would be a good idea to see a gastroenterologist about this.
I am male and 17 years old. I understand I can get reflux without heartburn, but I didn't know if reflux pain would be in the lower stomach like I have. Also, the omeprazole seems to work some of the time. My stomach still hurt after a fatty meal, but not as bad a usual. I just don't want to be taking drugs to reduce the amount of acid in my stomach starting at a young age.
You can try taking an H2 blocker (which is over the counter) instead of a PPI (like omeprazole) which is not as strong (with your doctors consent).
Any idea of what I may have? And by taking these drugs does it only temporarily solve the problem?
You might have GERD/acid reflux.  Yes it only temporarily solves the problem, but especially at your age, things can improve with some time.  Also sometimes certain food intolerances or lifestyles (ex. sleeping laying flat or eating soon before going to bed) can make reflux worse.
Nathan, I don't know if your doc mentioned it, but there are a number of foods that you should really stay away from if the problem is acid reflux/GERD. You can find a decent list at www.gicare.com under the Diet button. Fatty foods are not suggested in general as the fatty food takes longer to empty from the stomach which means longer output of acid which could cause prolonged discomfort.

Did you point out to your doc exactly where on your body the pain was being experienced? I'm not saying it's not reflux, but the presence of acid problems can also affect the small intestine and other organs 'downstream,' so you can't rule out the possibility of acid issues.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers