Gastroenterology Community
Stomach burning sensation

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach burning sensation

I am 25 year old male, father of two young kids, unemployed for a little over a year, went from 140lbs to 180lbs over 5 years.. My question is today is wedesday and on monday i started feeling this weird burning/cold sensation in my stomach probably more in the middle below my chest and the top of my stomach(where u bend when you sit down or bend over). it doesnt hurt its  more like if youve pulled a muscle and get that burning sensation when you do so. It doesnt go to my chest or heart so i dont think it has anything to do with that? although i am no doctor by anymeans. I dont work so i find myself siting on the couch alot watching tv and thats where i notice the discomfort the most, does feel better though when i lay down. I usually get  lots of stomach gas(fart) , have heartburn and symptoms of GERD(i take zantac once daily)  ,so i am wondering if this feeling has to do with that? but does that explain the burning sensation all the time??? I do smoke about 3 cigarettes a day so anyone would say my symptoms could be from smoking.. i am tired of feeling this way though, and dont really want to go to the doctor for fear of something serious. Please help me!! thanks
Does the pain get worse after you eat?  It sounds like you have some of the symptoms of a duodenal ulcer.  Try over the counter Prevacid or Prilosec, then also, make an appointment with a Gastroenterologist.  I had some of the same symptoms and went to a Gastroenterologist and had an EGD (endoscopy) where a scope was used to look at my stomach to see what was going on and it was as I expected...an ulcer.  You may need to have the same test...don't worry you'll be sedated.
Thanks for the information..i always thought it was an ulcer although like i said before i am no doctor.  To answer your question yes i would say its worse after i eat, but does seem to bother me after my moring coffee and flares up off and on during the day. i did notice i had lots of gas and burning when i had spegehtti lastnight, you would think i would know better eating that type of food, but its hard becasue i love that type of food so much. I do take zantac but to me thats more for heartburn and i do think that prevaicd does help with ulcers? so i will try something like that and i did hear the pepto-bismouth works good too!
Yeah...coffee, spaghetti or, anything with tomato sauce and other heavy foods will aggrevate it even more.  Trust me, I know what you mean about spaghetti and that kind of food...I love it too.  I'm a lover of just about all things spicy...a real no-no.  Try the Prilosec or Prevacid also take a liquid antacid like Maalox before each meal, this helps as well.

Good luck!
Ok thanks ill try all those you mentioned, your a big help