Gastroenterology Community
Surgical Clips Left in Abdomen

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Surgical Clips Left in Abdomen

Can surgical clips accidentally left after abdominal surgery cause moderate to severe pain, strange sensations in my abdomen, and digestive problems?  Two years ago I had my ovaries removed due to growths (turned out to be benign), and 6 months later I had a colon resection due to three bouts of diverticulitis.  These are the only 2 major surgeries I have ever had.  I am sicker now than I ever was with the diverticulitis. Many days I stay in bed due to abdominal pain and/or nausea.  I lost over 20 lbs. in 6 months, and just feel terrible and have no energy.  My internist and gastroenterologist ordered many tests. Blood tests, X-rays, CT scans, ultrasounds, endoscopies, colonoscopy, barium enema, and gall bladder tests are some of the tests done in the last year.  Since nothing medically could be explained for my symptoms after the tests, I asked for my hospital records.  No one had told me, but I found from my records that surgical clips had been left in my pelvic region.  I was sent to a gastro specialist in Nashville and I asked him if surgical clips were ever supposed to be left after surgery.  He told me no, and he was inclined to think they were left by the doctor that removed my ovaries.  I am not asking the question to sue a doctor.  I'm not the suing kind.  If that could be the problem, I just want them removed and get on with my life.  Thank you for your response.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  It is most likely that these clips were not left in accidentally.  It is relatively common to leave clips in the abdomen after abdominal surgery and 99% of the time, no problem results from this.  Your gastro specialist in Nashville seems like he has no clue what he is talking about, or there was a misunderstanding.  Did any of the scans show where the clips were currently located and if there were any problems around them?
They normally don't tell you if they are going to leave in any clips and we find out later on during testing for something else. Surgical clips are left in the body often after surgery, but they can become dislodged and migrate to nearby areas, and this is very painful and can cause a lot of issues. If either of the clips have become dislodged I'd imagine they would have shown up on your tests, but I would address this with your doctor.  It may be that you need laproscopic surgery to see what is going on (if anything) with the clips.  Something is making you ill and these need to either be ruled out or in.  I wouldn't trust the GI doctor in Nashville, he doesn't appear very knowledgeable.  I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in getting this resolved.
hello, yesterday i had a x-ray in the occupational health dept at kaiser and the x-ray tech took an x-ray of my shoulder cause its been really hurting for about a year know,its miserable to sleerp and i figured it was from the physical job i have(garbageman).they found what they think is a surgical clip inside of my right shoulderblade.the only thing is i never had surgery there.i have had jaw surgery 15 years ago and about 2 years ago i had hurnia surgery.is it possible that it was from one of these surgerys and if so which one??????????