TPN and short gut syndrome
I know someone who had a whipple procedure last year and complications which led to the removal of all but 50 cm of small bowel. He still has the ileocecal valve intact.He also takes pancreatic enzyme supplements due to the complications He experiences diarrhea after each meal. He is not eating much and requires TPN every day over the nighttime. How do you wean someone from TPN who only has 50 cm of small bowel? What are the odds of him getting off the TPN?
It's unfortunate, but he may not be able to be weaned off of TPN. However only his doctors will be able to give a definitive yes or no. The small bowel is necessary to be able to fully digest and take up/absorb all of the nutrients that are needed by the body. Lacking the small bowel, the only way to be able to get the nutrients into his body may be to supplement that by adding the nutrients directly to his blood system.
    I have been living with short gut syndrome since March of 2008. I had to have TPN for about two months. It leaked from my port and infultrated my breast which left me with burns.I finally insisted that we try something else. I only have 3 feet of bowel remaining. I watch my weight and diet and visit my Drs often. I've read up on this and consider  myself very lucky. Iwill keep everyone in my prayers.