Gastroenterology Community
Teen with mono and stomach pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Teen with mono and stomach pain

I have  14 year old daughter that ws diagnosed with the Epstein Barr virus (the highest levels that they have ever seen in 30 years).   It has been a month and she is still extremely tired and exhausted and has constat stomach aches and burning from the time she wakes up until she goes to sleep.  By physical exam her spleen was never noticeable swollen/enlarged, but the pain goes uder her sternum and under the ribs on both the left and right side.  She as had an EKG, ECHO, pulmonary function test which were all normal.  She also just had an enoscopy to check for GERD/ ulcers etc.  Everything was normal except the GI doc said that she had something that appeared to look like a "fold" in her stomach.  She had an upper GI test today to look for a hiatal hernia - which was also normal.  However, after the test today and drinking the barium and "pop rocks" she has had terrible stomach aches and burning all day.  She is taking Nexium daily and Gaviscon Extra Strength liquid as needed.  She drinks plenty of liquid, but her stomach is constantly upset.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we should do next?  Gallbladder sludge, spleen test, liver????    Suggestions/thoughts on the "fold" in her stomach?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  We have also been told that they think she may have RSD - Reflexive Sympathetic Disorder by an orthoped when she was younger.
Hi Steph,

I had mono as a young 20 year old...Is she taking medications for the MONO?  This could be...I doubt the gall bladder is the cause at her age. The MD's can feel an enlarged liver and spleen, but that should just cause a dull ache, not a burn...You can do the 24 hr acid  test...

Thanks for the info.  What is the 24 hour acid test?
I had E Barr and stomach pains around that age frame.  Diet and natural tinctures for parasite and candida are essential to boost the immune system.  Probiotics are great.  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers