Gastroenterology Community
Terrible Pain...Gallbladder?? I just had HIDA scan and need some advice...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Terrible Pain...Gallbladder?? I just had HIDA scan and need some advice!

I just returned home from my HIDA scan. I have been dealing with
terrible pain under my right rib and it radiates into my back and shoulder. I
also feel like I have a huge softball stuck under my ribs when I leave back..
as if I am leaning against it. I have had 2 ultrasounds that were negative,
bloodwork, and a upper endoscopy that showed a little gastritis but no ulcers.
The pain is only brought on if I eat fatty foods or anything with spices.
Everything has to be pretty bland and I drink a lot of water. This has been
going on over 5 weeks now and my gastroenterologist decided to move on to
HIDA scan which was done this morning.

The first part went well then the tech went to talk to the doctor because
it looked like my gallbladder had disappeared. Should I be concerned about
this?? He said all of the films for the first half were then done and we
would move on to the second part.

Then we did the part with the CCK injection into my IV and that sent me into
terrible pain and nausea. It made my stomach cramp all up and I hurt up into
my shoulder and back The tech told me something is definitely not right and
that "we may be on to something" because of the way I reacted.

It felt like someone was stabbing me in the back and I nearly got sick to my
stomach. Afterwards the tech gave me some juice and a blanket and let me
relax until I was feeling good enough to leave.

The doctor should be calling me in a few days..but I am just terrified, that
like with every other test done, this will not give me an answer to my pain
and the doctor will blow it off. I have lost so much weight from being unable
to eat much and I feel awful. I just cannot function while living on
painkillers.

Has anyone experienced this same problem and have any advice for me?? Thanks
so much for any help!

Heather
Congratulations!  You have a diseased gallbladder.  Your overall symptoms and severe reaction to the CCK injection is a classic indication of a non-functioning, or poorly-functioning gallbladder.  Obviously your doctor is thinking along these lines or he wouldn't have ordered the HIDA scan.  Looks to me like you have gallbladder surgery in your near future.  Please don't be worried about it.  You'll feel a whole lot better!
Well I am still waiting to hear from the doctor on my results. I had the test Thursday *the 20th* . How long should I wait to hear from them before I givem them a call??

I am in so much discomfort and hopefully since I havent heard means he is busy reviewing the results from the radiologist. I am READY for relief..this pain is something I would not wish on a worst enemy!
Don't let them remove your gallbladder yet. My HIDA scan is 18%. I kept mine and now I'm feeling better now. I am taking Nexium. My Gastro said it is Esophagitis (form of ulcer) and has nothing to do with my gallbladder even if it is not functioning properly. Just avoid fats and change of lifestyle.

I always exercise now, everday, and on diet and watch what I eat. So far so good.
I am a fit 22 year old who loves to eat healthy and exercise. Anything I eat has been making me feel this way and I have had an endoscopy..no ulcers or problems with my esophagus...I am heading back to the doctor on Thursday to hopefully get some answers.
I had my gallbladder removed when I was 27. After being in pain for about three weeks with a temp of 104. The Dr. I went to insisted I had maleria (malaria) and kept testing for maleria (malaria). Till we insisted on getting x-ray. To make a very long and painfull story  short  I would have to agree with Jaybay . Have it removed I'ts much simpler now than when I had it done. Call your Dr. They never seem to have time to call a patient back. Take care. Cat3
can you just tell a GI doctor you would prefer to have it removed?? After doing some research I found out that my mom and 3 cousins had GB disease...so I am guessing I should bring this up at the visit tomorrow. And after my CCK reaction during the Hida scan..wouldnt that be positive??
Yes it sounds like a gallbladder. I had my diseased gallbladder removed back in jan. The pain of attacks are unbearable. It feels like someone is squeezing you to death. Get it taken out asap it will be one of the best days of your life.I wouldnt always listen to the dr. shockingly they are not always right! My dr didnt want to take my GB out even tho i had 3 tests showing it wasnt working. What an idiot. I told him he needs to take it out or i iwll be back next week until he does somthing. I was scared being it as my first surgery but i was up walking within hrs of having it done with little pain.
Well after much persistance I will be meeting with a surgeon to discuss having it removed and set my surgery date.
I know what your going through. I have underwent a HIDA scan, a CT, and an abdominal sonogram. The tests came back normal, so I went to see a gastroenterologist. He ordered a gastric emptying study, and a H. pylori workup. I keep saying its my gallbladder cause the pain is located in my upper right abdomen underneath my ribcage. Ive been to the ER twice and nothing. Thursday was awful cause ihad to leave school because the pain was unbearable and I was running a fever of 100.2F . If you want to find out if your gallbladder is really the problem then drink a mikshake, if after you drink the shake, your side starts hurting, then the culprit is your gallbladder. Follow your gut instinct and listen to it. It will never fail you. Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you.
Well I am meeting with a surgeon next week to set a date for gallbladder removal..the doctor is wanting me better...THANK GOD!!!!
I went to my family doctor with the typical symptoms of gallbladder disease. I had an ultrasound of my gallbladder and liver and everything looked normal. I went to a gastro doctor and he performed an endoscopy on me and insisted it was a duodenum disorder. He gave me antacids and nulev for spastic collin. Since then I have suffered many attacks. Eleven months after having many different tests I am visiting a surgeon because a ct scan of my abdomen found my pancreas to be inflamed. He told me this is what could happen if you have chronic gallbladder disease and it doesn't get treated. He has sent me for a hida scan to check the function of the gallbladder. If this comes back normal then he will send me for a test that is more specific for the bile ducts that run into your pancreas. By listening to your gastro doctor you may be killing an organ that you can't live without. There is no harm in taking tests to be sure. I listened to my gastro doctor and it got me 11 months of pain and sickness and possible damage to my pancreas.
Good Luck