Gastroenterology Community
bowel movements

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

bowel movements

i have pasty foul smelling stools that stick to the bottom of the toliet everytime i have a bowel movement. Which could be once a day or once a week.My iron levels have been elevated for the past 6 months and i am still doing tests to find out why. Should I be concerned about this?
I'd say that unless you are getting any stomach pain with this, there is no need to worry.  Have you had a genetic test for hemochromatosis?
yes i had the genetic testing for hemochromatosis and it was negative. the doctor thought my iron levels would go down naturally because it was neg. and they retested me and the are still elvated.
You might want to talk to your doctor about getting some blood removed because high iron can be damaging to organs.
ok... so in the past month i changed my diet and increased my fiber intake. I had blood removed for the iron and started exercising. My stools are still pasty and happen once a week. I am now getting severely bloated to the point i look pregnant. i have pain in the top left of my stomach that feels like cramping and gets better after i finanlly have a bowel movement. should i still not be concerned about this.