Gastroenterology Community
chronic hunger pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

chronic hunger pain

I've experienced chronic hunger for some 12 years now.  I am painfully hungry 24/7, no matter how much I eat nor the content of my diet.  Constant fatigue accompanies this and I have been on a a strong regimen of anti-depressants to keep me going.  I've had no abnormal weight loss or gain during any of this.  Now 60 years old.

I've had multiple endoscopies, colonoscopies, stool tests, alergy (allergy) elimination diets, sonograms, the usu bloods...all to no avail.  Most doctors are skeptical that it quite matches the profile of Crohn's, Colitis et al.  Nonetheless they've prescribed Remocade, Bactrim, the whole family of Prilosec-type reflux drugs, and numerous others.  I've gone to highly-regarded specialists and well as alternative herbalists, acupuncturists and the like.  All are baffled by it.

I find that if I eat small amounts of bread products and sip soy milk, it creates a temporary feeling of a full stomach for ~20 minutes.  This is always followed by a severe sinking feeling as the hunger re-appears.   I sip more soy and take a few small bites of bread like this all thru every day.  When I awaken the hunger is especially severe.  I keep a glass of soy milk at the bed to sip immediately.  (My overall diet has been as healthy as can be...no alcohol, coffee, red meat, etc...mostly fish, chicken, fresh fruits/vegetables/roughage, soy products.

It hadn't until now occurred to me to post on a site like this, and indeed - any advise and experiences of others would be greatly appreciated!!!

All the best,
K.

This discussion is related to severe hunger pains.
perhaps you are not absorbing your protein properly for some reason...there are supplements you can take that help ensure that protein is working to its maximum in your body...I've heard combos of B6, B12 and folic acid can help~
Hey!
I'm experiencing the same things. It was on and off for about four months and has been constant now for three. Do you find that eating more increases your hunger?
Hi, I am also experiencing the same thing for almost 5 years. Like you said i have had all the tests. All the tests have proven there is no abnormality. In my case unfortunately i underwent appendisectomy.But by taking Licorice tablets i had some comfort for a month.
Me too! I just realized after all these years my "hunger" is not really hunger. I was binge eating packing my stomach with anything to make the feeling go away, only to have partial relief. It hurts doesn't it! I would do almost anything to make the hunger pain go away and intentionally binged for short relief.

With me if I go long enough with out food it goes away (many hours). So I began to believe it wasn't hunger and here I am. If I push on my belly it hurts. Great I don't have an eating disorder, and it's not hunger. Well this is as far as I've gotten.

Yes the more I ate the more this feeling of hunger became. (but now I realize it's not hunger). You may just have stomach pain and because eating helps we assume it was hunger? I know this is my situation.

I've noticed too that when I over eat I get tired. I just went to my doctor to see if maybe I wasn't getting enough food to explain why I was so tired.
Apparently I have this condition also. Today I tried chamomile tea with very good results. the hunger pain subsided and I was able to think clearly again.  Must be a nerve related problem.
Do you still have this issue?  After reading your post, I swear it could have been written by me, I was curious if you have found an answer?