chronic too-soft stool
I've had very soft stools for 3 years following a difficult 9-month hospitalization. I have to get up early in the morning to go and then I go right after I eat breakfast. I've asked my Dr what foods would firm up my stool. She said to eat more fiber. When I research fiber in the diet I find that more fiber is recommended for people with constipation.
My question is - do we eat more fiber to soften the stool or to firm up the stool?
BOTH!  You definitely need more fiber, it adds bulk to your stool.  Fiber in constipation helps move the stool along relieving the constipation, but one has to be careful when adding fiber to their diet when constipated, making sure they are adding the right ones for their problem.
Have you checked to be screened for bowel problems such as IBS or other bowel issues? I would discuss this with your doctor. I have IBS and my stools are usually soft.

Regards,
Perez..