Gastroenterology Community
effects of colon removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

effects of colon removal

In Nov '07 I had a scheduled major(8hr) back surgery--2 part: fusion of lower back disks(collapsed) & 2 titanium rods in the upper back(scoliosis).  Two days later I had emergency removal of most of my colon due to a "flap" the surgeon said must have not been attached since birth getting wrapped around the colon and cutting off the blood supply. In a few days I got blood clots in the lungs and was back in ICU(I had a heart attack in '01). I have recouped well except for one problem: some days I will have numerous very runny bowel movements causing great irritation( I use appropriate cream) and mostly not until I use Imodium (immodium) does this subside.  Sometimes what causes me the most concern is not waking up and getting to the bathroom before a major runny bowel movement occurs causing me to discard my undergarmet and stripping the bed. I put a disposable cloth and I have disposable sanitary pads but hate to wear this every night.  This problem has also caused concerns in my intimate relations with my domestic partner although he has been very understanding.  I went back to the surgeon but mainly heard the message that I will have to learn to live with this. Sould I go to my Gastroenterologist?

This discussion is related to Segmental resection of colon.

Hi - more frequent toilet visits are indeed a feature after a total colectomy.  I found this after my own operation and, in response to anothetr medhelp patient I described my experiences on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

I have also found that over a period on ~1 year the number of toilet visits decreases gradually.

May I suggest trying a diet with a higher fibre content - and especially try to introduce oats and bran to your diet.  In my case thyis made my motions more "muddy/sludgy" rather than liquid and avoided any accidents.  I make the analogy that it seemed rather like cleaning up a spillage of liquid on the kitchen floor by throwing sawdust down on it.

You will always require more visits to the toilet than before but I think that the number is not such a problem as the consistency of your motions.  Look at it this way:-

- you probably go to the toilet ~8 times a day to do a #1.  Well the number is visits will not increase dramatically if you can do a #2 at the same time as a #1.  What you need to work on is a diet that "bulks up" your motions.

Good luck
Morecambe
I too recently had part of my colon removed and experienced the same problems you are describing.  My doctor put me on medicine called Questran.  It has made life much easier. Hope that helps!