Gastroenterology Community
esophagitis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

esophagitis

Can reflux esophagitis cause chest pain?   I have grade C esophagitis due to reflux.  Could it be the cause of the chest pain I have been experiencing.  The chest pain is not really worrisome as it is not excruciating, it is just annoying.  Also, is tea any better than coffee for reflux?  Thank
does the pain radiate to your back?,,does it come and go,,,worse with stress,or greasy foods?.please be a little bore spacific on all thats going on with you.
Esophagitis can cause chest pain, but chest pain should always be checked out to rule out heart issues. You may want to call and discuss it with your doc.
Thanks for your comment.  No, the pain does not radiate to the back.  It is pretty much mid sternum and consistent. It is not excruciating, just annoying.  I have not noticed any correclation between any particular foods (I don't eat much greasy food) or stress (though the last couple of weeks have been pretty stressful).  

I am now taking Carafate for the esophagitis and actually the pain seems to be a bit better so I am hopeful.
I have had severe GERD off and on since 2006 and YES the pain can and does radiate to the upper/midback in many people.Just Google GERD and back pain and see how many others have this same pain.I believe Mayo Clinic's website mentions back pain referral in their description of esophagitis.My heart has been extensivley tested for heart disease and it has been ruled out.It is best not to answer a question conclusivley about a symptom because her pain referral patterns may be different for her and you don't want to worry people needlessly with uniformed advice.Angela Keyes M.D.