Gastroenterology Community
fluttering feeling in my intestines, what is it?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

hi, i've been sick with vitamin defficiencies and stomach and bowel pain for 6 months now, defficiencies are being treated and things are getting better with the stomach not being as painfull. Now what i'm getting is fluttering feelings in my intestines and colon, I have lost weight throughout this and have been tested for everything. I still don't feel well and the Dr's say oh well IBS but i Don't have constant diareah or constipation. I feel like my body is sick and i'm not getting much better. What could the fluttery feeling be? Right now it's where my stomach would empty into the large intestines but i get other strange feelings in my colon too. Is it normal to feel your colon and intestines doing stuff?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Your stomach doesn't empty into the large intestine.  The order is stomach, small intestine (also called small bowel), and then large intestine (also called colon, large bowel).  It is pretty normal to have feelings throughout your GI tract during digestion.  Have you talked to your GI doctor about this?
Caroline, what are experiencing is called a spasm. I get those when my Irritible Bowel symptoms are flared up. But it also sounds like you are having some issues with malnourishment. Vitamin deficieny, weight loss...could be from several diseases of the intestines such as cancer, chron's disease or ulceritive colitis, even Celiac disease. It could also be an intestinal infection.

I assume you have had a colonoscopy?
yes, I have had alot of bloodwork also, have had a berium swollow done . showed nothing. been tested for sibo, negative- stool analysis- neg. I just don't understand a diagnosis of IBS when I am getting all these issues with vitamin defficiencies now, and loosing weight. I don't have celiac or chron's, and apparently no cancer. It has made me feel like no energy at all, and eating has turned into a tricky puzzle. Just meat, potaoes, and greens. Very bland. My pa. say's i'm feeling so poorly from the defficiencies but my GI. dr bows it off as IBS and doesnt seem do care about the defficiencies. I don't know where to turn next- 6 months of watching myself go downhill from a very active person- to trying to keep myself going but, at a snail pace.
What vitamin deficiencies do you have?  Have you had a colonoscopy?
yes, i've had a colonoscopy, said everything was fine. I found i had a severe b-12 and folate defficiency over 2 yrs. ago, that was my first bought with being real sick. when this started i had a severe potassium defficiency and ended up in the hospital overnight for heart monitoring and a stress test. So now I have blockage in coroided arteries in neck, colesterol and all too high, now mind you I eat meat, potatoes and greens, thats all.And have been seeing Dr's on a routine basis, so it's like the Cardio Dr. said- How could they have missed this?  Now I have a D defficiency. I don't get why everytime I go for bloodwork they find something new. I am suppose to take fish oil, D, folic acid, and fiber, I have been getting B-12 injections.We will keep monitoring potassium. I have been on proton pump inhibitores for yrs.
If it was an infection wouldnt they find that doing a colonoscopy? I had one done, and a stool culture.
Caroline, proton pump inhibitor medication can CAUSE B12 problems. Sit down and do a bit of reading on the issue and then go talk to your doc.

Do you exercise? Are you eating lean meats?
yes, I asked about the PPI and b-12 and he doesnt think it's relevant. I know it's part of my problem but with my stomach the way it's been, i have no choice, feel caught in a trap. I do eat very lean meat. I just started the D3 suppliment and it's causing some reflux and nausea so it's like no matter what- my stomach is not going get better. I have never had this much trouble or feel this sick for so long. I have to wonder if my kidney's are truly functioning properly although I don't know how much they can tell from bloodwork, I have pains like its coming from kidneys and also sudden frequency, voiding very litle and then voiding alot, but checked and no infection. ??? I just don't know anymore. I have read your kidney's help with vit. D3 so do you link it to the source that usually processes it?
I agree with CalGal about the affect of a PPI.  Have you tried talking to your doctor about trying an H2 blocker instead of a PPI?
My son has Crohn's and Celiac Disease.  They only found the Celiac Disease in the ilium part of the intestines as well as more sores from the Crohn's.  That is the area between the upper and lower intestine. It cannot be reached by an endoscopy or colonoscopy.  He had to swallow a camera that took over 3000 pictures throughout the day.  It was a great thing because it answered so many questions!  I think you should get another GI.  The one you have is NOT doing you justice!  We went to one that actually did not believe that diet had anything to do with a healthy intestine!  Crazy!!!!!!