Gastroenterology Community
foul smelling sulfur purps

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

foul smelling sulfur purps

My husband had a carsinoid tumor in his lung a few years ago and had 70% of one lung removed (middle and lowlobes).  Unfortunately he didn't seal properly and the Dr did an agressive surgery taking what he described as useless fat from around the stomach and weaving it through the body (it had to stay connected to the stomach to keep the blood supply intact) to seal the gap between the remaining part of lung and the empty part where the rest of the lung had been.  His esophogus (sp?) and windpipe were also damaged because of the complication and these were also patched with this fat.  From the time that surgery was done, he has periodically suffered from the sulfur burps, diarreah (diarrhea), vomiting and pain.  For him it seems to be certain kinds of meat (usually some sort of tough steak) that kicks it off.  He explained this to his surgeon, but like most doctor's he didn't want to hear about it.  I think he termed it as hospitalitis.  It seems that if they don't know the answer, then the problem doesn't exist.

I find myself wondering if that fat that surrounds the stomach isn't so useless afterall.  I wonder if we have a certain amount of fat to stop acids from leaking through the somach walls.  I wonder if people who suffer from this have thinner fat barriers than others who do not.

This is just one of those things that make me say hmmmm?

victorialeigh

This discussion is related to Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps.
Victoria, my assumption is that he took portions of what is called the greater omentum to 'patch' things up. It's a big structure that, as you assumed, isn't quite as useless as a lot of docs seem to believe it is. It's an 'apron' of connective tissue that contains quite a bit of fat, and it does have a number of functions. It sits on top of the abdominal organs and provides a protective layer between the skin and the outer world and the fragile organs. The omentum will often take the 'brunt' of an impact such as can happen in accidents.

In addition, it hase a large immune function that it provides in the body. It contains structures that are able to generate an immune response if one is needed.

And perhaps one of the 'neatest' functions of the omentum is found when there is infection within the abdominal cavity. The omentum will migrate to the area of dysfunction and actually seal the area off. So if there's an infection process that is on-going, the omentum surrounds and walls that section off - hopefully maintaining that inflammatory process to one small section.

And it doesn't only surround the stomach. If you look at a picture of the omentum, you'll see it's attached to the bottom of the stomach in one area and then it goes from side to side within the abdominal cavity and then drops down over the surface of the organs - and it hangs quite low, almost to the pelvis in some people.

So useless???? Nada!
I am having yet another attack of eggy burps and pain as I type, am due for a hida scan tomorrow and am thinking I will have to cancell because of pain , vomiting and diahhrea(sp),am sick and tired of being sick and tired, I thought I was the only person to experience this ****** disease, if it even is one, was good all last week, and BOOM, today it starts again.....................athanks for listening to me rattle on, just am so frustrated,be well all...............Linda
Hi, I have been getting eggy burps for over four years now. I hadn't noticed any one thing setting them off other than that they seem to show up after intense stress. I was speaking to a highly educated individual who happens to be my chiropractor, about the fact that it seemed I was not digesting my food properly. He suggest I try taking a digestive enzyme with every meal. (you can get them at just about any store...walmart or cvs, rite aid ect.) I was not experiencing eggy burps the first time that I took one, I had taken it before bed and slept soundly.  And I do not take them regularly. But the reason for the post is that about three weeks ago I woke up burping belly burps. I had not taken the digestive enzyme for days, as I only take it when my stomach gurgles and and I can feel air bubbles moving around...generally means my belly isn't happy. So I took a digestive enzyme in the hope it might stave off an attack, and went back to sleep for two hours or so. Other than than burping the one burp, I did not experience them after taking the digestive enzyme.  Some might call it a fluke but a week after that it happened again. And again after taking the digestive enzyme it went away. I have had three day attacks of nasty burps, and seriously painful bloating of gas in the past. I don't know if this information will help anyone else but I thought I should let you make the decision. The enzymes are all natural ingredients, so no harmful affects. And less than ten dollars for a thirty day supply if you take them with every meal as a three meal a day person. I just take them when I feel like I need one. I think the belly burps/acid smell is what your body makes to break down food that it cannot or will not digest. Which makes sense for those that have diarrhea and vomiting, your body is forcefully ejecting whatever it is in your stomach, and intestines. I hope this post helps. AND GOOD LUCK. I am going to continue taking the enzyme when I experience the beginning signs of belly burps.  I hope some of you out there will try as well. If you would like to e-mail me you can do so  @      ***@**** but please not if its to tell me I am an idiot.
anyone thought to ask about GIARDIA, it explains all the symptoms... i'm going  to talk to my doctor, next week about it!