irritablebowel and irritable bladder too
I am female and suffer from both irritable bowel with diarrhea and irritable bladder which causes me to run back and forth to the bathroom day and night. I try to watch what I eat and avoid foods that seem to trigger IBS symptoms such as nuts, broccoli, etc. I take Immodium when I have to.  I take Vesicare for the bladder symptoms.  Is it unusual for a person to have both problems?  I have had both of these since I was a child.  I wonder if I have been misdiagnosed.  I have a great niece who had been misdiagnosed with IBS, but she has Crohn's disease.  I had a colonoscopy about 5 years ago, but haven't had an upper GI.  Sometimes my abdomen hurts so badly that I break out in a cold sweat and my abdomen actually feels hot to touch on the lower left  side.  My stools are always either the diameter of my little finger or loose and watery.  Could there be another explanation for my having the same kinds of problems for my bladder and colon?
Yep, you could have a "female" problem.  Endometriosis can implant anywhere in the abdominal cavity, but it is common to be found on the bladder and intestines.  If you haven't seen a gynecologist in some time, it's time for a visit.  Make sure you tell the doctor about all of your symptoms - not just those related to menstruation, and ask him about the possibility of endometriosis causing the problems.
Thanks for your input.  I'll ask my gynocologist.
Hi, I would respectfully suggest you see a gastroenterologist rather than a gynaecologist. I have a couple of friends with endometriosis and they don't have problems with their colons, urinary tract and faeces.My Crohn's first presented with inflammation in the small intestine, by the terminal ileum, and as you have already had a colonoscopy, perhaps now you should ask for an endoscopy of your small intestine. I have to urinate almost every hour during the day, and a couple of times during the night ...just part of the problem of having Crohn's.

Liz
Thank you for your input.  There is a new gastroenterologist at the medical center where I go.  My primary care physician would probably have no problem with making the referral.  I can see the gynecologist too since I am overdue.  I'll see anyone who can help me.  I am a Kindergarten teacher, and I can't continue this very easily.
lizziecee is right to say you should check out both angles, and I'm glad to hear you aren't putting off making appointments.  My sister and I both have dealt with endo for years, and it caused severe bowel and bladder trouble.  It all depends on where it implants, and how deeply, and how much scar tissue it causes to form.  Some women are covered with the stuff and never have a symptom.  Others can have a mild case but suffer unbearably with all kinds of symptoms.