Gastroenterology Community
looping colon

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

looping colon

I want to know what significant looping in the colon means. Can anyone give me any info. on it? Please. ..
The physician or specialist who ordered the scan or procedure is supposed to sit down and explain the results to you.  But basically I believe it means the intestines are laying over top each other improperly in various places, going in diff directions than normal, which could cause digestion to move erratically and not as quickly as it might.  If you lay a garden hose carefully in a circle on the ground, then you expect to be able to pull it right up from that circle next time.  But if you just throw the whole garden hose in a pile, willy-nilly, it'll get tangled as you try tou use it next time, pinch off, make a knot.  This is what is meant by looping in the colon.  Now, the colon is the large intestine, it comes straight up from the lower right small intestine, takes a turn and crosses the belly, and then turns again and goes straight down to where waste goes out.  Usually if a bowel is going to loop, it'll be in those corners, instead of a turn, it'll twist and roll a little, and make a "loop," which means too much pressure can build where it loops and turn too many times in that corner, and that can cause indigestion and possible blockage in varying extremes.
so what do we do for looping in the colon
Get a colonoscopy