Gastroenterology Community
loud hiccups that hurt

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

loud hiccups that hurt

please read! really need help with deciding what i should do about this.i have asked this question already but was hoping to get a lil more help than i did. not sure that i am even in the right spot for this question, but will ask any way. i have had the hiccups for about 5 years now. not the "common" kind. i hiccup once here or there. sometimes it hurts badly for that split second. they are very loud. even so people make fun of me say i sound like a large bird of pray. haha i have done some research on it. so many things it could be. from brain lesions to head trauma. my main thing is that i will be getting married soon and starting family hopefully not to long after that. i don't want any problems either while being pregnant or passing something to a child. is this something that i need to see a doc about. or since i have dealt with it this long if i am really ok with just odd case of hiccups. any suggestions would be great. thank you. wendy
My mother in law has had these exact same hiccups for over 7 years now.  Every time she goes to a doctor about it, they always say they'd need to hear the hiccups for themselves and, of course, they don't come out when she's at the doctor.  It is very loud, bird-like as you describe.  It's pretty funny in a movie theater because everyone turns to see what the noise was and someone inevitably says "Bless you." haha.   I am on the internet trying to find info about what it could be and haven't come across anything!  Your post was over a year ago so you might never see this but please respond if you've found out any more information.  Thank you!
I have this exact same problem. I'm 19 and have had them this badly for at least 3 years, but know no cause or have found any solution yet.
I've had the same problem for 20 years.  I and my family have just accepted them.  I think there is an emotional problem as they rarely happen when I'm in a meeting or in a public place.  I'd love to know what causes them.