Gastroenterology Community
no burping / gurgling in throat

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Viewing 201-278 comments:
it' amazing how many of these symptoms are the same, i too have never been able to burp, havent vomited in 20 years and i also have that lumpy feeling in my throat, i get this burping not always usually after a heavy meal, what works 4 me besides lying down is punching gently at my chest i guess is the same  mums do to babies, and for me it works cos it gets the air up and i can take it out, not as a belch much more subtle and i have to do it many times cos is only a bit of air i can get out evry time, this is really a health issue i pray to God so he can soon give us an answer to this problem of ours and for him to help those who really have it bad, that now i have read your stories i know i dont have much to complain about, i hope my little advice can help u with this annoyig problem, wish u the best to u all
Hey guys,

Some of the symptoms on here sound like an hiatus hernia, but most others are exactly what I have. It's officially called Upper Esophageal Reflex and Belch Reflex Dysfunction sometimes with Non-Cardiac Chest Pain. I'm going to see an endocrinologist about it but there's quite a bit of info on the internet; it's pretty much to do with a motor skill we just never developed.

Hope this helps!
I too have all these symptoms. I am 31 and have not vomited since the age of 4. I remember being really sick and hated vomiting and vowed never to vomit again. I remember getting these symptoms if i was overly active swimming in the pool when i was a kid.  I always hated drinking soda cause it made me feel ill.  When i was in college i remember getting these symptoms when i was stressed about writing a paper or a test. I am a nurse and whenever i worked night shift or had a stressful assignment i would have severe attacks. In the beginning of the shift my throat would gurgle. Then my chest would hurt, followed by painful hiccups, nausea, and shortness of breath. I remember not wanting to move, cause it would get worse with movement. I would try antacids with no relief. The only thing that would help is to lie down with a couple pillows under me. Eventually i would get bloated and release the air by passing gas.  I went to a GI doc. I was told i have a small hiatal hernia and was placed on nexium. Which did help. Working day shift helped out too. After 5 years at that job I decided to work in a less stressful area of nursing. I discovered i no longer needed to take nexium cause i rarely got the symptoms. Unfortunately about two or three times a year i get it bad when i get sick. I just had the flu and the worst attack ever. I have also been stressed lately cause my job wants to promote me to a more stressful position. but i am thinking of not taking the job cause i get these attacks with increased stress.
To everyone that has posted recently: You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2007.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves. Thank you.
Hello my name is brandon le...i am 16 years old and in now suffuring this problem at this very moment...i have seen several blogs and come tp the conclusion that this is known as the Disfunction Of the Belch Reflex. One man a doctor in chicago is studying the theoretical diagnosis and so far has been no known cure or treatment. Ive been having this problem for some quite time now and over the years i have developed some methods the reliving the pain or hard to breath situations when the air gets trapped...i would sometimes hang upside down when symptoms become unbarable or beat hard on my chest..i recommend the chest option when it gets really bad though......hopes this helps some.
well i have the same problem but ill just explain my symptons
my stomach growls really loudly everytime i eat and mostly always bloats
my chest gets all tight and my throat and chest starts to gurgle
feels like i have to burp but can't?

i went to my doctor today and explained about this strange situation which he found really weird, he asked me to make the noise! to cut a long story short he told me i eat to fast and dont chew my food right, i let air into my stomach that isn't supposed to be there. he diagnosed it as aerophagia. makes sense but i have my doubts about it
look it up, it may be useful?
The official term for this is called a "burgle" - not quite burp, but not quite gurgle. It's actually a term I made up, but it fits. I have had this problem my whole life and nothing is wrong, it's just our body releasing gas, similar to that of a burp, but without the usual sound of a burp. But it's still a release of pressure, I at least, generally feel a bit lighter after I burgle.
After I named it a burgle, I lightedheartedly refer to it all the time, it's kind of a joke between my friends when it happens. I can often even force them to be louder, which is weird.

Love to all fellow burglers, like moi ;)
Tonight I stumbled across this forum because I couldn't sleep. I too have frog noises after I eat...and some times I can't even function. I would have to lie down every time. Tonight the air coming up my esophagus was so bad I couldn't sleep and it got me worried. Normally when I lay flat on my back it goes away but not tonight. One remedy I have for this is sticking two fingers down your throat and making yourself gag.  It goes away instantly. But this is no fun and not convenient.  I am glad I have found this thread. You are not alone.
Hey guys, i'm 15 and I suffer from the gurgling in my stomach and throat, and I'm pretty sure it's given me anxiety and makes me shaky and feels like I want to throw up. And these 'growls' seem to appear a lot worse in quiet situation (convenient eh?)

BUT!!!! As the 'growls' are inside of us, of course we are going to hear it 10 times louder than anyone else! It vibrates the noise up to our ears, so were going to hear it a lot more than others. Of course sometimes, on the odd occasion, I can hear my mums, but only once or twice! So, even though you may be sitting there in an exam, and that's all you can hear, unless they have their head on your stomach, THEY MOST LIKELY CAN'T HEAR IT! :)

Hope this helps most of you guys, also most of it is in our heads! :) Try a teaspoon of olive oil in the mornings it helps, something to do with the fatty acids, also my doctor gave me some peppermint tablets, which i started today, and ill let you guys know!

My friend's mum has the problem too, and she said stay away from BREAD and SPICY FOODS.

Good luck, at least were not alone! :D x
I am 41 years old and have never been able to burp like a normal person, unlike my sister who thinks that burping is an art form.  As I have grown older, I noticed that my "throat burps" have become worse.  If I eat anything other than straight protein, I get bloated and then I need to lie down on my left side with my left arm tucked under my left side of my body while pressing my forearm into my stomach to make the throat gurgling start in order to relieve the pressure in my stomach. I also cannot have my head up high, but instead it works best to have a low, flat pillow under my head while I am trying to get these gurgles out.  

If I cannot get any more burps out, I will sit up for a second and then go right back into the position I was just in, and they will start again, which helps speed up the process of getting the air out of my stomach.  Sometimes this process can last up to four hours on a bad night, but normally lasts under an hour.  

Unlike the other people on this forum, I am not trying to stop the gurgling, but trying to find a place to lie down to let the pressure out, which only escapes in little bizarre throat groans, instead of a couple of long burps.  It's frustrating to say the least.  I'm just surprised to see that there are so many other people who have this same condition.  I don't have any answers to the cause, but for those out there who are trying to find a way to make it stop, the best way I have found is to not fight it, but to speed up the process of expelling of the trapped air.

When I am at work at my desk, I have learned that bending my body over to the left, while pressing my forearm into the side and frontal area of my stomach, it will let out a greater amount of air and I have essentially bought myself a few minutes of relief without a gurgle making it's way out of my mouth before I am faced with trying to talk to a coworker.

These are just temporary tricks to get me through each bloating episode, but I am guessing that there is a problem with something not opening or not closing correctly in my esophagus or entry to my stomach.  Until I find out what that might be, I am able to get through each day with these annoying, but quick fixes to what used to be an entire day or night of bloating without any way to release the air.
I'm 20 years old and I can't burp. I too have gurgles in my chest and they won't go away. The only thing that helps is lying down on my back or side. I went to the doctor today and he didn't really tell me much. I just want these air bubbles to go away. Does anyone have any advice to stop these gurgles in my chest?
I have the exact same thing everyone else has mentioned.  I've been to 2 gastroenterologist with a battery of every test with no results.   I was diagnosed with IBS for lack of coming up with a proper diagnosis.  My symtoms (symptoms) came on about 3 years ago when eating an icecream sandwich.  I had terrible pain in my diaphram and thought I was having a heart attack. I could not get relief no matter what I did ( lie down, sit up, etc.)  Finally I threw up and got a little relief.   After that incident I have problem with releasing gas and my throat gets clogged up with a thick substance that keeps air from releasing and pain in diaphram area.  This prevented my from being able to swallow, causing my body to produce massive amounts of stringy saliva until i finally throw up and then feel better a couple days later.  This went on every 7 to 14 days for over a year.   When the symtoms (symptoms) begin, I won't be able to burp and gurgling noises come from my throat.   I still have stomach pain almost daily, and I wake up about 5am every morning because of stomach pangs that prevent me from sleeping.  My bowel movements are normal, but sometimes have a whitest mass of a stringy substance and same substance in my emesis.  It has been 2 months since I thrown up and that is the longest period since this first began.  I still have the same symptoms, but have managed to resist getting sick.   I cut out carbs and it seemed to help a little.    I was on a no carb diet for over 2 years and the problems started about a year after coming off the diet.  I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but thought I would mention it.   I'm just glad to find people with the same symptoms, and hope in the long run it is not something terminal.   The doctors all say I don't have cancer, but can't tell my what it is.   I agree with another comment that we should form a group on Facebook, so we can keep in touch and let each other know how we are doing and give suggestions on things that may help, since these mysterious stomach and throat problems can not be diagnosed.  Thanks, Scott
Read all the stuff from all these people above and you should have come up with the answer- it's wrong food.  Little wonder why it is not showing in any scans or tests. Here is the ninety-nine cents cure.

FIRST STOP EATING:  RAW OR HALF COOKED ONIONS, THEY CREATE PHLEGM AND GAS, white flour or corn including tortillas, Nan, etc all baked breads, toast, including french bread, bourgete, starch especially potatoes, pasta, anything with vinegar, vitamins including chewable ones, and all cheeses (one slice of cheese takes 48 hrs for the body to digest, fermented food, Bhaspati rice is very constipating.

Stop eating raw or half-cooked food, Pizza is one of them - examine the white flour dough crust - your are chewing on leather and you want your stomach to do the dirty job for you.

One bad food will mess-up all the other good food that you ate, and you wonder which one did it.  If you do not have two bowel movements a day, do not eat breakfast, etc until you get a bowel movement - don't worry, you will not die just because you skipped some meals.  Let the body work on the breakfast you ate a week a ago, it hasn't left you.

Ginger will make you thirsty, so drink it during the day and not just before bed.

1.  Start with one inch size fresh ginger, wash and smash with something to loosen the fibers, boil in three tea-cups of water, then simmer, with lid on to avoid evaporation, until you smell ginger in the house.
  a.  Lets start slow:  First start on an empty stomach, just about ten tablespoons with half teaspoon of honey (not sugar).  The trick is to drink it as hot as possible (temperature is going to play a major role).  Wait half hour and you will know if your body liked it ..... drink the rest if you can.....or introduce it to your body slowly everyday, give the ginger properties to kick-in and it will.  It will do you wonders.  If you can break a sweat - excellent.

2.  Don't stop yet - if the above did not work for you, try with some decent food.  If you can, with Indian curries, curried eggplant, not white chickpeas (garbanzos) creates a lot of gas.

3.  Better still - add ginger powder available in Indian stores, to boiling water
add black tea, etc, milk, some honey to taste.  Caution:  Is very heaty, so drink in small portions, with intervals, make good judgements, create your own timing and schedule, whatever it takes to put that into your digestive system to undo the years of damage you have done through cheap fast food.  You pay a price when you don't want to spend time in your kitchen.

4.  Ginger didn't work?  Try this- Stir fry some red onion till brown in sweet butter (cream), some chopped ginger, add salt.
when cooked add one teaspoon tumeric powder, mix immediately and add one cup water immediately.  Now add cayene pepper (whatever you can handle) and let boil until you smell curry.  Let simmer now.  Put your fish in or better still brocolli.  Eat it with nothing else! until all stools have left your body.   Ask your doctor to take an X-ray of you stomach and show you how many stools are lined up and can't get out !!!  And you are thinking of more food!!!!!

5.  Think of ways to get the impossible-to-digest food that you have dumped into yourself, not medications and not CT SCANS to solve your problems.

6.  Learn to make your own bread - wholewheat Chapatis is about the best thing with moderation.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH, LEARN TO COOK FOR YOURSELF.  

I have tge same thing for a year now.  
Is this really just LPR (acid reflux)?
Any food, exercise that can help??
Thanks in advance!
I always thought I was the only person who got "air bubbles" My experience is much the same. I have never been able to burp reflexively or voluntarily and I rarely ever vomit unless I eat something bad. Ever since I could remember, I've gotten these little air pockets that make a growling/croaking sound that seems like it comes from my throat. It's really annoying and quite embarrassing when I am in a public setting and everything is quiet. Sometimes it leaves a really uncomfortable feeling in my throat that I try to swallow down, but that just seems to make it worse. Breathing out makes it feel a little better. I think I also unconsciously swallow air throughout the day when I get nervous, which may have something to do with it. Breathing better may just be the trick. Wish you all the best.
Me too but if u breath in when u feel the pressure it helps. It ***** honestly :/
This is so great! Well it's not great that everyone here is suffering from the same things I am, but I'm so happy I'm not alone! I currently have the "gurgling noise" and I just came home from having just a bowl of soup at a restaurant! I'm so uncomfortable right now and this is for sure a daily thing for me! I've had this since I can remember and I've never been to doctor because I never saw it as a severe problem, just an embarrassing one! It happens after I eat or drink, not all the time but most of the time, and I definitely can't burp! Never have, and even though I've tried, nothing. I also haven't thrown up since 1999, no matter how sick with the flu or how many drink I've had, I've never been able to throw up. It's gross but I've tried sticking things down my throat to help me gag and throw up, my friends have even tried it, and nothing helps! This is so frustrating, hope someone finds a cure soon!
I have had the same problem for years, and it seems to only happen when it's quiet. It's a croaking noise in my throat, and it's extremely loud. I've tried just about everything, and it won't go away. Also, I can't make myself burp. I only burp when I vomit. I often actually vomit just because my body has to burp so badly. I've even been to several doctors for it, but of course whenever the doctor goes to check me out, my throat isn't making the noise. When I open my mouth, the noise is painfully loud. It's very embarrassing, and I really wish there was something I could do to stop it. No remedies seem to help. It has affected my ability to communicate with people, because I'm so afraid that I will open my mouth and the sound will come out. My life would be so much better if it would stop. I hate these croaking spells!
It seems almost everyone on here has a hiatal hernia or may have one.  2 types, rolling (which always stays there) and sliding which comes and goes.  I have a rolling.  I have all the exact same sypmtoms you all are having.  If you look at an hiatal hernia the stomach has pushed past the haitus and above the esophogas.  So nwt that stomach is providing an escpe for the air the air is finding the easiest path to go, since the throat sphincter is closed the air squeezes through the stomach portion (that is squeezed between the haitus and esophogas)So as it squeezes through it makes a gurggle sound.  In fact next time your throat gurgles put your fingers just under your sternum.  You will feel the gurgle happening there.
I am having my hiatal hernia repaired later this year.  I am betting that will fix the gurgle.  Now the air has only one way out (upper GI) and that it out the throat as a burp.

I have tried many things in the past including sticking my fingers down my throat to releave the pressure of air.  But since the air is trapped in the hernia it will not come out as a burp.  

In the meantime the big key is take in as little air as possible while eating.  I plan on trying the technique of exhaling before I take a bite so you dont swallow all the air with your food.

I am not a Dr, just a guy that is trying to get a better quality of life and would love to not be forced to lay down to get rid of the gurgle
I am an 18 year old female college student. I have had the same kinds of problems you all have been describing my whole life.  Like most of you, I notice the strange gurgling noises after eating, not always, but enough to where I notice and worry that others do too.  I also tend to make the croaking noises more if I'm particularly nervous.  I have had a history of anxiety and mood disorders, but no issues like that currently.  Another common symptom I noticed is lack of vomiting.  Though this isn't a problem, I can only recall very few times throwing up in my life, even as a child, while very sick, or after a lot of alcohol.  Also, I very rarely burp, I would say at most once every few months, and I have never been able to make myself burp.  Glad to know I'm not the only person who does this weird gurgling thing, it's kind of embarrassing but I guess some people do this instead of burping.
I also have the same symptom. After a meal, if i do not burp properly, i cannot swallow anything and feel like the 'gas' is stuck in the throat.. i have lots of phlegm and feeling that there's a lump in the throat. When i eat/drink, there are times when i feel the food/water getting stuck in the esophagus without flowing down. I saw an ENT specialist and a GI specialist. Did my endoscope and HRM (High Magnetic Resonance - if im not wrong).. the GI doc said (i can't really recall) either my upper or lower spincter is a little tight but no major problems... prescribed me with amitriptyline every night to cure the laryngopharyngeal sensitivity.. forgot to mention that i've recurrent panic attacks whenever i can't swallow the food down to the stomach.. i turn to my medicated oil, apply them to my neck so that it will numb the sensitivity and makes me feel less anxious.. i'm anxious to get a cure for it too.. anyone any help??
I started a new forum, Its titled 'Esophagus gurgling noises". I have had the same problem as almost everyone on here with the gurling and I want to know more. I Have had it my entire life and would really like to know if there is anything to cure it or any doctor that is investigating it. Please see my forum and comment. I am desperate to fight this, its interfering with my life. Please Help!!!
I am a 31 year old female and have the same symptoms everyone is talking about. I can't drink anything carbonated or my chest starts growling. Soda, beer...even if I am out with friends and order a cranberry and vodka, if the cranberry comes from the sprayer behind the bar, like the soda...it makes my chest growl. If I am around cigarette smoke (which I hate and can't even breathe around) my chest growls. If I am feeling anxious or stressed my chest growls. The only cure is to lay flat on my back. I found that if I lay on my left side my chest will start growling also. That concerns me. I feel like it is getting worse and every doctor looks at me like I am crazy and just sends me for more tests. It is so embarrassing and would love to have a diagnosis and a cure...:^(
Finding this forum really made me feel so much better! I am a 21 year old female college student, and have been searching the last week or two for SOME information about what could be causing this Gurgling, or as my boyfriend lovingly calls my "gurglies". I was thinking maybe it was the development of lactose intolerance, seeing as the gurgles are often associated with severe stomach gas and bloating, but lately it seems to be more frequent. I have never ever been able to burp or belch "normally", however I can make myself "gurgle"- it FEELS like a burp and gets the same effect, but makes the almost watery, bubbly sound, kind of like a frog, and sometimes really hurts my esophagus in my sternum and at the base of my throat.
However, while most of you are saying you experience this AFTER eating, mine is worse when I am Hungry or have an empty stomach. When I have gone about 2 or 3 hours without eating, my stomach starts to rumble and ache and I get VERY gurgly- once every 20-30 seconds or so. Sometimes as frequent as with every deep mouth breath I take in, one comes out as the exhale.  
Lying down does seem to be the only REAL solution, that and getting a full stomach. Lately I have been noticing that the gurgles are happening very deeply after I have crackers, or chips or bread- so I am wondering if it is a gluten intolerance coming in.
Still- SO happy I am not alone in this!!
I am so glad I found this! I felt like I was the only person that had the "gurgle burps" as I call them. It have had them my whole life, and get them after eating or drinking something and they can last for HOURS! Its horrible! My mother always used to tell me to burp and I tried explaining to her that I can't, its absolutely impossible for me to burp normally unless I do it involuntarily, which I can go a few years without doing. Nothing can help these "burps" that I have, if I lay down when I have them I get a nauseous feeling and I must sit up or else I will be physically sick. This is so embarrassing for me and all of my friends don't get it or call it weird, its something I'm very self-concious about. I have also noticed a lack of vomiting, even though I don't think that it's that bad ;) I hate vomiting! But as a child, I noticed that I hardly ever vomited unless it was something sickness related, even after a good amount of alcohol. This is so embarrassing, especially if your in a quiet room with other people, happened to me every day in high school! I'm just hoping to find a way to get this to stop, I've been thinking its acid reflux, but I'm not sure. I'm just soooo glad that there are other people out there with this and I'm not alone :)
oh my god! i just noticed from my last posted that I said that I hardly ever vomited as a child, even after a good amount of alcohol! I did NOT drink alcohol as a child, that was a typo!!! hahah :)
Hi All - Yep, same exact symptoms as everyone on here that started when I was a little girl. I'm 29 now and still searching for a cure! I know it's been mentioned but has everyone gotten tested for food allergies, specifically gluten? I have a gluten intolerance but am going to get tested for celiac next week. Even if you don't have food allergies it might help to get tested so its one thing you can rule out as a cause...you can also do your own investigating at home with an elimination diet.
Like everyone else here I thought i was the only one and am delighted to of found this thread.

Had an important meeting in work today and spent the entire time battling these strange obnoxious involuntary gurgles. Just like so many here i have never been able to burp normally. This combined with the fact that it gets worse when any stress is involved makes me wonder if its allergy related at all.

I am definitely going to get myself checked out in the new year but it seems from reading the above that noone has been happily cured from this yet. It seems so silly but it really does affect my life. It gets especially bad if i eat a large meal and try to drink alcohol. So weddings, anniversaries, dates etc are sometimes ruined completely.

I've had some relief by chewing very thoroughly and eating small meals.  I also drink very slowly, and sip rather than gulp.  Basically, I try not to swallow air!
Hi everyone.
I discovered this forum a couple of years ago and it helped a lot because I was experiencing the same thing, so thought I'd share updates with my situation.

Just like many of you, I could never voluntarily burp growing up, but it was never a problem for me.

Then when I went to college in fall 2009, I developed the gurgling noises after meals, which were especially bad after eating foods like pasta, chocolate, and citrus/acidic fruits, and drinking soda. In discussions with doctors, my parents and I concluded that it must have been set off by the stress I encountered that first semester, as well as the shift to eating less fresh food and lots of processed foods in the dining halls.

I had multiple doctors, including a gastroenterologist, tell me they had never heard of such a thing. I even recorded the noise since it doesn't exactly come on command, and my gastro-doctor said she had never heard anything like it.

I did a barium swallow test and had an endoscopy, and my results came back normal for both. I took Prilosec for awhile, which did not do anything; if anything, it made it worse.

I discovered that TUMS helped the most in terms of reducing the croaks.

I also went to France for 8 days in summer 2010, and the problem nearly went away entirely while I was there, which I think can be attributed to the freshness of the food I ate there and the lack of chemicals.

I began taking Nexium, which helped some, but unfortunately, I never got into a good pattern with taking it on a regular basis, so it's a little harder to determine how effective or ineffective it was.

Over time, the croaks developed into burps. Now, I feel more relief than I did with just the croaks, but after meals, I burp incessantly for hours at a time, sometimes croaking as well as burping.

I am probably going to go back to taking Nexium soon, but again, I'd recommend everyone try TUMS for some instant relief.

Additionally, I will be spending the next semester in France, so I hope that the burping subsides with the food quality there.

I hope this helps someone in her or his search to identify and treat the mystery croaking!
Idk how old this thread is but I'm 31 years old and I've had this as far as I can remember. I remember being a little girl and making these noises in my family's ears and us laughing about it. I also have never really been able to burp. I do get heartburn a lot. I also rarely throw up. Idk what it is. My dad tells me to see a doctor about it but I've had it all my life so it can't be that serious right? I also have always had digestion issues. I've suffered from IBS and am lactose intolerant and even gastroenteritis once. Im so used to pushing up the air for my gurgles to come out. I usually just try and let it all out as loud and as quickly as I can until they become fewer and stop.  If anyone ever finds out what this is I'd like to know. Maybe I should go to the doc...
it's so annoying! i have never been able to make myself burp. people always joke about it but i always have terrible bloating and pain in my chest after eating. i will feel full even if it's been 7 or 8 hours since ive last eaten! i have a BUNCH of gurgling noises and it's so irritating because i cant stop it!  
(sorry for non punctuation and capitalizing, I dont feel like doing all that right now.) lol   anyway, I went the doctor and he had recently looked down my throat with a tube. he said my throat was swollen, and he said i had reflux (GERD)   and so he put me on prilosec... we shall see if it works...    and also, i have been having constant sinus problems, ears popping, sinus infections, you name it.. he said reflux can cause all of that!   so hopefully this is what is wrong with me. maybe this will help you too.
I found this thread a few years ago and was pleased to find that so many people had the same symptoms as me, but disappointed at the same time because nobody knew what it was. I'll explain my situation incase it helps anyone:

I am 21 now and had these throat gurgles as long as I can remember. I, like some people above me, have an incredibly fast metabolism. The gurgles are worse after eating/drinking fizzy drinks. I naturally eat lots, normally very quickly, but have always been skinny. Now I go to the gym regularly so have bulked up muscle-wise but I don't have an ounce of fat on me. I CANNOT and do not burp. I have burped maybe once or twice in my LIFE but they have only been short and unexpected, never the true belch you hear most people do. I rarely get ill and when I do, it's just headaches, therefore I can't comment that well on vomiting. I have before, but unlike a lot of people above me it hasn't been difficult or particularly painful. So, LIKE others above me, I don't vomit often, but I can't relate that to the problem as it's because I DON'T get ill. (not complaining!)

This used to be fine for me, as the gurgles are quiet, the only times I had to hide them was during exams or tests and I always moved my chair or rummaged in my bag to hide the noise.

Now however I am at university and being a 'uni-lad' people expect certain things of you. Namely, drinking vast amounts of beer and burping loudly.  I have managed to evade it quite well in both respects. I have found that drinking beer gets me bloated very quickly and causes lots of throat gurgling and so don't do it anymore. I tell people I don't drink beer as I prefer stronger drinks. I love going out, but now I stick to either wine or spirit mixes. Stronger drinks mean I can have less of them (less gas) and still be at the same level as my mates. People don't tend to question this as I am a tall guy as well so they assume I'm a heavy weight - which is true to some degree. As for burping, nobody has ever said "hey, I've never heard you burp" and if a contest breaks out between mates, I find a reason not to be there for a while and leave them to it.

I also cannot for the life of me 'down' drinks. I am terrible at it and this is extremely embarrassing when in a group where everyone does it together. I'm thinking it's throat related and something to do with the noises. My friend can do a pint in a few seconds and so when 'downing' competitions start, I, again, have to leave for a bit.

I normally know my limits but occasionally drink too much (it happens to the best of us :P) When this happens I don't normally have trouble sticking fingers down my throat and forcing a vomit. However sometimes I do get the incredibly loud gas vomit, a few others have talked about. Basically a very loud retch that produces no liquid. If its quiet, I often get people asking me if I'm ok in the club toilets. Luckily a lot of clubs are loud and noisy even in the toilets and so it gets drowned out. That, or people are too drunk to register anything.

If anyone by chance does hear my throat gurgle, they normally think its my stomach and ask if I'm hungry. My housemates know I eat a lot and just assume that is the case anyway, but that doesn't stop it being embarrassing. It's also embarrassing going back to someone else's place and them asking what it is.

So that's me. I guess I've learned to manage the problem to some extent and not let it affect my life too much. I can sense when the gurgle is coming and hold it off for a few seconds or force it early too, by using my diaphragm and breathing in a certain way. However, a fix to the problem would be awesome. I would love to be able to drink fizzy drinks when I want, and when I do, not have to think about hiding the throat noises.

I think I will go to the doctor when I'm back at uni. Although many people say it hasn't helped them, its worth a shot just to hear their thoughts. I'll return to this thread periodically in the hope that someone, somewhere finds a diagnosis.

Stay positive :)
Glad to see this thread and other people having similar issues. I have had this problem over the past few months and am wondering if it is psychological. I have no issues sleeping and when I am perfectly comfortable; however, at times it is almost every so often during the day if I take a glass of water, shortly thereafter I feel almost a gurgling or someting on the order of a "whsssh" of air coming up from the esphogus in the back. No problem in eating or swallowing, but it is annoying. The gastro guy felt around and feelws it is gas, the ears, nose throat guy says if might be LPR. Anyone have similar issues with this whssh sound
Omigosh, I'm so glad to see that my sister and I aren't the only ones with this problem! I'm 18 and she's 22, and we've both had the gurgling/croaking problem for as long as we can remember.  She can even "croak" on command!  I've burped a few times in my life, but they are always really small and painful.  I croak constantly, especially after I drink any sort of carbonized drink, drink coffee, or eat any kind of food.  I have always been embarrassed about this condition, since I would sometimes gurgle during a presentation or in a quiet classroom, gaining quite a few stares from my classmates. My mother thinks it is annoying how my sister and I gurgle, but it's not like we can stop it! We are really tall and skinny and both have high metabolisms (my sister is 6'0" and weighs 137 lbs, I'm 5'11" and weigh 153 lbs), and we exercise regularly.  Recently the gurgling has become more painful, especially when I lay down to go to sleep and start gurgling.  It seems that one thing in common that we all have is being thin and having a high metabolism, but I do have thin friends and they have never heard of this problem before.  I wonder if the cause is something else? I'm going to the doctor's soon about constant muscle pains in my left thigh and a loud cracking in my right knee whenever I walk up the stairs, so maybe I'll ask about the gurgling while I'm there? Hopefully the doctor will have some sort of clue what's going on and how to stop it, and if I do find out anything, I will post another comment on this thread.

Thanks for reading this :) I really hope to solve the problem of the gurgling esophagus soon~
Finally, i've discovered people who can relate! I am 20 and also cannot stop gurgling! I've always done it and burped perhaps 5 times in my life - everytime I have it's taken me totally by surprise and been almost like a mini victory.

It seems I have nearly exactly the same symptoms - I VERY rarely burp, gurgle beyond belief, have the tightness behind the breast bone and constantly feel bloated. However as far as I am aware I do not have a fast metabolism like some others on this site. Although I am by no means fat I would say I am not naturally skinny, but I'm putting that to my likeness of my father.

I have most definately gurgled for more than 12 hours, especially on news years just passed. I no longer drink alcohol due to this and still gurgle. I haven't drunk fizzy drinks for the last 3 years and still gurgle, I limit my spicy food intake, and do not stuff myself out because I know it will only be uncomfortable for the rest of the day.

The only thing that has EVER helped was to constantly try to do continuous deep yawns to kind of force a burp (for the first time ever) / open the gullet and it only worked once.

I am at the end of my tether now. I never even noticed until I started uni because my boyfriend noticed and I had never known any different. Now it's really started to get me down because I've started a new job and my boss has noticed it. I am going to see what my GP has to say and if I get any kind of indication/ideas spitballing around I will most definately post it on here because I know how frustrating it is for other people to misunderstand it for acid.
I went to the doctors about this today. I've had this problem for about 5 years and I've been taking omeprazole which helps with the acid reflux that I have. He said continue taking it and he told me that it might be a minor case of Irritable bowel syndrome. So he recommended me taking Metamucil (cookies) which provides 20% of your daily fiber intake. I bought a box and tried it just now and its not too bad, you need to drink A LOT of water while youre eating the cookies. You'll know why when you try it lol. Also he said take Maalox Plus to help with the gas and acid relux at the time of the symtom. I hope this helps and I hope this helps me too.

This happens to me all the time. I am 14 and it drives me insane, especially when I am in class. It is so embarrassing. I, like many above me, cannot burp and have not thrown up in a long time. Also, according to my parents, I have had it all my life. It gets worse after a food or beverage. I did think I was the only one though so this makes me feel a little better. :)
My nutritionist urged me to go off gluten and dairy, and the gurgling noises went away. Eat slowly, do NOT eat white flour, aim for small portions of dairy if you must, and remember to breathe as you eat. Hope this helps you!
Oh and another way to relieve gas quickly and very easily (although somewhat inconvenient) is to lie with your left ear to the ground and your bottom in the air, bringing your head in close to your knees. It's a trapped gas release position.
I am not a doctor by any means but have suffered from my own digestive issues as well. It sounds like some of you may have issues with too little or too much stomach acid or your body could use help in digesting your food by using enyzmes.  I would suggest going to a Naturopath or health food store close to you that is knowledgeable in this area. It could be the answer you are searching for.

Also the person that had the stringy phlegm and stringy subsance in their bm....that is a sign of yeast overgrowth. Check with your Naturopath for solutions.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers...

I am a fifteen year old female and have the exact same problems. The reason I found this is because tonights "episode" as I call it was worse than any other. I have pretty much given up on soda and it still happens. Almost two years ago I went to a gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy which basically showed nothing. My father and his father both have/had acid reflux problems and esophageal cancer. Therefore, I am very concerned about this for both my own relief and to prevent other problems. I hope we find a solution very soon!
I have an slightly under developed trachea. And I cannot burp. I physically can't do it.  I take antacids every day. And it seems to help.

I eat healthy foods, drink slowly and don't eat too fast. It's literally your body trying to burp. I've learned that when I feel the gurgles coming if I push at my chest is the right way I can make the air come out. Not a burp. Just releasing the air. My husband makes fun of the gurgles sometimes but mostly ignores it a he knows it bothers me. Most times I I wait long enough the gurgles will subside and end up in the other side of the intestinal tract and relief comes in farts.

Occasionally I've eaten something that is particularly unhelpful to the gas issue and I feel so neauseous I think I'm going to puke. After a little while holding it in ad trying to make gurgles come out I end up violently releasing the air. Basically throwing up air. It's very embarrassing and I often just completely stay away from food I think could do this to me. (spicy foods mostly)

I've foun that most doctors aren't going to care much about these gurgles cause they really aren't life threatening. They just limit my lifestyle slightly. I drink less soda and eat less hot salsa. -shrug-

The Zantac really helps, as well as having some tums or pepto in my purse helps in awkward situations.

In short there really isn't anything wrong. Try to learn to burp! It's just gas in your tummy!
Also, after reading a bit more, I also found out that I am lactose intolerant  and cutting out things high in lactose has helped a lot with the gurgles. They do get pretty bad after I break down and eat ice cream.

But like I said. I just eat slow and drink slow and try to press my chest in to let the air out. If not I use tums to relieve temporarily and wait for it to reach the other end. =\ hope this helps someone.
My boyfriend calls me 'The Little Froggy', because my throat gurgling occurs most often when I'm laying down, or in complete quietness. I wish I knew what was causing it. Like others on here who seem to be high-stress, I am that--and also, rarely or never vomit. Could all this be linked? I hope this is just stress-related...
Im the exact same way. Thank you I thought I was all alown, croking like a frog. LOL Thats what I call it too. My dr has me on a very strict diet diet for this. She thinks its GURD (gerd) and food alergy (allergy). Mine started when I was 26. I thought it was anxiety realted sence I moved from a farm to the deadliest city in our state. My croking incereases when I have not eaten with in the past hour or so. Other times it does not seem to have a pattern. The dr beleaves its something to deal with my ulcer, Gurd (gerd) and food alergies (allergies). I also never burp, rairly pass gass in the other direction, or throw up. I did eat a pice of bread last night with gluten in it. I woke up crocking and have not quit. Going on about 5 houres now.  Ill try to update this as my dr informes me more.
Hey guys i'm 18 years old and I've been suffering the dysfunction of the burp reflex since I could remember. I cannot drink any carbonated drinks nor alcohol due to not being able to quickly pass the gas created. I always get these huge gurgles in my chest and i'm absolutely sick of it. I AM DEVELOPING A CURE FOR MYSELF ----> 4 days ago I was sitting at my computer and felt a burp coming up which then got stuck in my chest and made a gurgle, I waited for it to come up again but this time when it came up I tilted my head forward and used my neck muscles to open up my throat, it's like you're straining to yawn. When I did this I felt a very small amount of air come out. It was definitely a burp I could taste it and smell it. Well anyway, for the last 4 days I have been practising opening my throat by straining my neck muscles(somehow slightly opens the UES).The first day my success rate for burping was around 1/100, the second day it would have been around 1/10 yesterday it was about 2/5 and today it's about 1/2. These aren't loud audible burps but they are definitely releasing some air (actually I managed a few loud burps). I've gone from doing no burps for 18 years to doing about 50 burps in the last 4 days. Once you do it the first time it gets easier and easier it's just a matter of using your neck muscles (like your doing a huge yawn, also try to only do it when you feel a ir coming up your chest). -Scott
I have gurgling when I swallow and two hours after I eat I have constant gurgling when I swallow.  My upper adominal (abdominal) is where it is.  It tires me out.  I take nexium for it.  I used to take hydrochloric acid before and I don't knoe if its not enough acid or two much acid.  Ive been to doctors and natural doctors.  Medical doctors are actually helping.  Natural doctors just think but don't really help so I stopped going.  Does any one get this.  Anything I can do to get better
Yeah guys it's Scott i'm updating you on my fix. I'm pretty much cured now, I can now drink soft drinks and not have a gurgle and never feel bloated. I used to fart about 30 times a day and now i've cut that down to about 4-5 times a day. Here's what I do: I feel air rising up my chest just before it would gurgle, I breathe in at this point till my lungs are at full capacity, I extend my neck and flex my neck muscles asif i'm trying to open my throat(like you're yawning). At the start it's hard but once you get it, it loosens up everytime and gets easier. Instead if feeling this huge gurgle I feel a tiny gurgle and most of the air passes through as a burp... This is the best feeling guys try it.
Hiya Scott, thanks for your posts. I'm currently trying to make myself burp but I'm not having much luck. I've been suffering with the gurgles since I was about 11 (I'm 21 now). Since you've been able to make yourself burp have the gurgles dramatically reduced then? So it is just trapped gas presumably making the strange noises? I've tried lots of anti gas medication but nothing seems to help. Thank you for your tips though, I will keep trying as it's making my life a misery.
need help with this burping
this sounds like my problem, it gets worse at night and while im at my job. but once i get home im fine
HEY I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH A TOUGH TIME BELCH AND NOT A COMPLETE BELCH THAT TRIES TO GET CAUGHT IN THROAT AND YOU CANT SWALLOW FOR A MOMENT THAT A PANIC MOMENT.  AFTER EATING AND SOMETIMES IN BETWEEN.  I KNOW I BEEN DEALING WITH YEAST IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT ALSO.  NOW I KNOW I AM NOT ALONE BUT I DONT WANT TO BE IN A PLACE IN MY CAR WHEN THIS HAPPENS, I GO INTO A PANIC.  HELP
HI IM WAYNE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM NOW AS I TYPING THIS IS SCARY AND I DONT WANT TO DRIVE AND THIS TRAPPED LOW PRESSURE BELCH HAPPENS IT MAKE ME PANIC AND I AM DETERMINED TO BE FREE.  NOW I DO HAVE YEAST IN THE THROAT AND IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT.  SOME ONE HELP US!

IT MAY BE YEAST BECAUSE I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING
I think God may have more important issues to worry about than your throat gurgling? Don't get me wrong, it can be bloody annoying, but I think you might be missing the point completely if you pray about such minor self-absorbed problems.
I have the same problem! I used to think that it was fizzy, and then water, and then every meal, but it is only on random occasions, and the gurgles are soo embarrassing. I find it horrible to say, but The only way that i have found to get rid of this, as it often makes me feel sick is to be sick. It is obviously no good for my body, but the only way that i have found so far that makes me feel slightly better. When you find some answers, please let me know!!
Ive been suffering from these throat gurgles since i was a small child ,( im now 35) and suffer chronic nausea almost every day , I cannot actually vomit and have a terrible phobia about being physically sick, The last time i vomited was 11 years ago during pregnancy , though i often gag. The last 5 weeks my symptoms have become uncontrollable and constant , I cannot move for fear of wretching and im at the end of my wits as to what to do , I cannot cope with it anymore , The gurgles are constant and feeling sick 27/7, afraid to go out anywhere in case i get ill, My doctors wont do anything apart from gove me omeprozole and various anti sickness tablets which are doing noting , I also suffer from Ulcerative collitis and reflux which dont help matters, does anyone have any idea how i can releave these symptoms
I have exactly the same symptoms and thought i was weird and the only one , I have no idea how to cope with it anymore so if you find any ways to cope please let me know
There's no reason for such a negative comment as yours. I have been struggling with the same problem as everyone else on here. At first it wasn't so bad. But through the years it became worse and worse. I'm now at the point where they inhibit me from sleeping, and whenever I am sick, I am at least 5x as miserable as would someone without this problem. It makes my life so difficult. I've never been a depressed person, but it's actually depressing. And though I still would never think about taking my own life, I can't help thinking that I guess I wouldn't mind dying early so I don't have to live like this as long.

It's not a matter to be taken lightly even though it does sound ridiculous.
Quote:
"I think God may have more important issues to worry about than your throat gurgling? Don't get me wrong, it can be bloody annoying, but I think you might be missing the point completely if you pray about such minor self-absorbed problems."

I think people may have more important issues to worry about than your God praying? Don't get me wrong, it can be bloody annoying, but I think you might be missing the point completely if you waste time trying to educate people on such useless pastimes.
I'm a 23 year old female and I've had this issue as long as I can remember. Recently I've been doing clinicals with patients one on one, and it can be really embarrassing! Mostly I make a point of laughing it off when it happens, but I'm working with a population that aren't always able to censor their reactions. One thing I've found that works is either pushing in on the skin just above your sternum (the squishy area of skin right below your larynx) or tucking your chin down when it's happening. It doesn't stop the air from escaping, but it does cause it to happen quietly most of the time. I hope this can help some of you - I'm determined to learn how to burp to see if it helps but for now at least I can hide it :)
Even though I am several years late to this post I would like to offer some information/advice. I am a 22 y/o female with all of the symptoms listed above. Don't burp, had gurgling noises in my throat that would occur primarily after eating/drinking but could also happen at random times during the day, and had severe acid reflux/heartburn. About two months ago, I had the laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication surgery to correct my acid reflux. The surgery was tough, expensive, and a hard two week recovery but I have zero heartburn and my "gurgles" are gone. I remember how stressful and embarrassing having the gurgles was, and I would do it all again if I had to in order to fix that problem. Just wanting people to know that there is a solution for the "gurgles". I promise that it's worth looking into and researching for yourself.
OMG I have the EXAAAAACT same thing. I am a 19 year old female as well. My throat gurgles (nicknamed affectionately "my throat dragon" by my friends) sometimes get to the point that it is painful, but mostly it is just uncomfortable and embarrassing. When I lie down it gets worse for me :/ I also do not throw up very often. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who experiences this.. Just wish I knew what to label it so when someone asks "what was that?" I don't have to explain my throat dragons :(
Could you maybe e-mail me? I have some questions about the surgery you had and what symptoms you had before you had the surgery.

***@****
I posted on this forum a long time ago because I have the same air-escaping phenomenom, from the throat. It's like small elongated little burps that happen immediately after I swallow -- not food but just swallowing saliva. I say this because this thing creates an urge to swallow, so isn't really connected to eating or drinking per say.

Well guys/gals, I know what this is!

I'll be quick as I can but have to describe how I arrived at this. It started, after my years of GERD, that I eventually went in for an upper G.I. for (endoscopy of my upper digestive tract). The Gastro Doc noted only moderate esophagitis and moderate gastritis but also that I have a "mild hiatal hernia". This is when the stomach pushes up through the opening that surrounds the esophagus inside the chest (a very simplified descript) and this opening is supposed to be tighter, not to allow this. Strangely, I didn't ask the Gastro Doc about my strange burp sounds in the throat. I figured anything would show up that was wrong, on the endoscopy results anyway, so I didn't bother.

A month later, I went to a regular MD. I was there for asthma but mentioned the burp sounds and he asked me to swallow, then listened to the aftersound. I DIDN'T TELL HIM that I was diagnosed with the hiatal hernia but he immediately said "that sounds like a hiatal hernia". I almost fell off the exam table when he said that! I then asked him "You mean to tell me that those can make a sound come from your throat and that mine can do this, even with being called 'a mild case'?" He said "It certainly can."

So folks, that's the very likely answer for many of you because the condition is supposed to be common in the general population. If it gets severe enough, it can require surgery (rare). While mine is called mild, it doesn't feel mild to me. Mine also causes an upward pressure feeling in my chest at times (definitely related to digestion) and sometimes pain when I swallow, if it's flaring (not often but pretty rare for me).

So there ya go.
Hey KK,

See my post I made just before this one. I also wanted to post to you directly, to mention that mine is worse when I lay down as well. I also noted you have pain on occasion with yours -- same here! Thought you might find that interesting.

I'm male, just turned 50 but the throat sounds have been there many years! My wife can hear them at times, from across the room.
I've been to about 8 doctors over the past 4 years.

I recently found out that I have Celiac Disease. Everyone with the gurgles should get tested for Gluten! :)

Starting my diet tomorrow ;)
HELLOOOO my non-burping brothas and sistas! I feel like we all have our our bond haha.. Well I can't burp either AND IT *****! I am 20 years old, female, very skinny and good metabolism. I have burped tiny, unexpected burps, like 3 times a year. Each time I get so excited. But they are so small. Other than that I have never been able to burp. :( But the gurgles come in full force, and they are so embarrassing. They love to come out when it's quiet and awkward timing. Some other things:
-i get horribly painful hiccups
-so, so, so bloated. ah. HATE IT.
-it does come out the "other end" more frequent than other people
-always have had anxiety probs.
-rarely throw up
-i feel my closed throat. like i can feel it blocked. i hate it.
it's so annoying!! I make my friends rub my bubbles out and you can literally HEAR THEM. I used to get horrible attacks. Before I knew what this was. I would get horrible chest pain and feel like i couldn't breathe b/c it's so blocked up. And gurgles galore. I went to the doctor and he said I had sickness induced asthma and gave me an inhaler which of course made it worse. It is worse when i have a cold b/c i think i swallow more air.. just sneezing and such. When it's really painful LAYING FLAT ON YOUR BACK is a lifesaver. I've had to do it in public a multiple times. Also when I was in the middle of an attack drinking water would help momentarily, but ultimately i'm sure made it worse because well, swallowing more air.
things i've done that help:
-NEVER chew gum
-NOTHING carbonated
-DO NOT drink from a straw
-NO ice in drinks
-be conscious while swallowing, don't swallow air.. do not gulp
-eat foods that don't cause gas, no white breads..
-sometimes massaging the air in your stomach helps.
-no beer, wine is better but shots are best just because they are strongest and least amount. but don't drink them in one gulp.. chug them..yeah it ***** but you'll thank yourself later.
hopefully one day we will find a cure! I would be SO HAPPY. I'm thinking surgery is the best bet.
I am a 19year old healthy female.  Like everyone else I can not believe how many other people have this!  The whole time reading through the thread I was like omg me too!  These gurgles are actually happening right now and it ***** so bad!!!!!  I don't mind not being able to burp but I do mind having these 'gurgle attacks'. I have a phobia of throwing up so the last time I threw up was 5 years ago and I hated it.  I don't have heartburn but I think I should get tested to see if gluten is the problem as many people have found.  I do fart a lot though,  ever since I was little I was known in the family to fart a lot.  But never in public, only at home.  So maybe this is a gas problem?  I do get bloated a lot as well.  I find It happens more whenever I drink something in a straw, i.e. smoothie, pop, bubble tea..  But sometime I don't even remember drinking anything in a straw and it still happens.  I am going to the doctors and I will literally show her this thread so I hope she knows something that can help with it.  It gets really embarrassing!!!  I even recorded it to show her the sound.  I get a 'gurgle' every 30 seconds or so and it is sooo annoying.  If anyone finds something that reduces these 'attacks' please do post!

Sincerely,
I hate gurgle attacks.
I enjoyed reading your experience. I have the gurgling of the chest symptoms too on a daily basis. My endoscopy revealed a mild hiatal hernia. I also have IBS. Since my hiatal hernia is not large enough for surgery, I am still trying to figure out a way to control these symptoms - gurgling chest, gas/air bubbles in chest and back and can sometimes spread upwards to shoulders. I take Prilosec daily, so I don't have heartburn. Simenthicone (Gas-X), Tums, and Gaviscon don't work. I do burp a lot but it doesn't seem to help 100% because air bubbles are still there. If I can figure out how to control this, I would be so happy! Sometimes, it feels like there's so much gas/air in my chest, it upsets my stomach sometimes or make it growls loudly. It's quite a discomfort with this feeling of wet gas/air bubbles moving around in your upper body! And I am amazed that so many people suffer from hiatal hernias and doctors haven't figured out an effective way to treat folk with small or mild ones.  
I am a 20 year old girl and I have this problem too!
I first noticed it during assemblies at school when I was about 14 and since then it has grown progressively worse.
Average symptoms are gurgling, pain in my oesophagus running down to my sternum, bloatedness.
Occasionally I get really bad 'episodes'. These normally occur if I go out for dinner, get a takeaway, overeat, drink loads and loads of tea, go on a long train journey (which I assume stresses me out), have exams near, or eat really fast. They are increasing in frequency. My whole throat tenses up, the gurgling becomes really loud, it lasts for the whole day, and it is soooo painful. Sometimes I salivate and think I'm going to be sick.
I originally went to the doctor because of heartburn and was put on Omeprazole but after the gurgling got worse I was put on Domperidone (or Motilium). Seriously, this helps a LOT I really recommend it. In no way does it cure it, but if I am drinking alcohol or eating a big meal they are useful.
What worries me is I think it is getting worse, and I just hate it because it is so embarrassing and uncomfortable. It's really frustrating though because while sometimes a cup of tea makes me gurgle, other times it doesn't, and the same thing for cheese/alcohol/anything! There is no common factor!
So glad to have found others who have this!
Viewing 201-278 comments:
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers