no burping / gurgling in throat
I am 19 years old, female, healthy, normal eating habits, etc, but I do not burp. I've tried drinking soda, swallowing air, etc, and it just makes me feel uncomfortable but doesn't make me burp. Instead, my throat gurgles. The best way to describe the sound is like a stomach growling, only in the throat. It's incredibly embarrassing and I can't prevent it from happening. It tends to happen a lot after I drink juice or soda, but also sometimes after meals where I only drank water. Along with the gurgle I feel some light pressure in my lower throat, near my collarbone, like there's air trying to get out (no pain). The pressure is momentarily relieved after I "gurgle", but then it comes back and I need to "gurgle" again.

I have met one or two other people who experience the same thing, including my sister, and seen other complaints online, but have found no explanation for why this happens, or how to prevent it. Any help?

I very rarely throw up either (only once in the past 8 years), I don't know if that's connected at all but I thought I should mention it.
HEY I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH A TOUGH TIME BELCH AND NOT A COMPLETE BELCH THAT TRIES TO GET CAUGHT IN THROAT AND YOU CANT SWALLOW FOR A MOMENT THAT A PANIC MOMENT.  AFTER EATING AND SOMETIMES IN BETWEEN.  I KNOW I BEEN DEALING WITH YEAST IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT ALSO.  NOW I KNOW I AM NOT ALONE BUT I DONT WANT TO BE IN A PLACE IN MY CAR WHEN THIS HAPPENS, I GO INTO A PANIC.  HELP
HI IM WAYNE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM NOW AS I TYPING THIS IS SCARY AND I DONT WANT TO DRIVE AND THIS TRAPPED LOW PRESSURE BELCH HAPPENS IT MAKE ME PANIC AND I AM DETERMINED TO BE FREE.  NOW I DO HAVE YEAST IN THE THROAT AND IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT.  SOME ONE HELP US!

IT MAY BE YEAST BECAUSE I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING
I think God may have more important issues to worry about than your throat gurgling? Don't get me wrong, it can be bloody annoying, but I think you might be missing the point completely if you pray about such minor self-absorbed problems.
I have the same problem! I used to think that it was fizzy, and then water, and then every meal, but it is only on random occasions, and the gurgles are soo embarrassing. I find it horrible to say, but The only way that i have found to get rid of this, as it often makes me feel sick is to be sick. It is obviously no good for my body, but the only way that i have found so far that makes me feel slightly better. When you find some answers, please let me know!!
Ive been suffering from these throat gurgles since i was a small child ,( im now 35) and suffer chronic nausea almost every day , I cannot actually vomit and have a terrible phobia about being physically sick, The last time i vomited was 11 years ago during pregnancy , though i often gag. The last 5 weeks my symptoms have become uncontrollable and constant , I cannot move for fear of wretching and im at the end of my wits as to what to do , I cannot cope with it anymore , The gurgles are constant and feeling sick 27/7, afraid to go out anywhere in case i get ill, My doctors wont do anything apart from gove me omeprozole and various anti sickness tablets which are doing noting , I also suffer from Ulcerative collitis and reflux which dont help matters, does anyone have any idea how i can releave these symptoms
I have exactly the same symptoms and thought i was weird and the only one , I have no idea how to cope with it anymore so if you find any ways to cope please let me know
There's no reason for such a negative comment as yours. I have been struggling with the same problem as everyone else on here. At first it wasn't so bad. But through the years it became worse and worse. I'm now at the point where they inhibit me from sleeping, and whenever I am sick, I am at least 5x as miserable as would someone without this problem. It makes my life so difficult. I've never been a depressed person, but it's actually depressing. And though I still would never think about taking my own life, I can't help thinking that I guess I wouldn't mind dying early so I don't have to live like this as long.

It's not a matter to be taken lightly even though it does sound ridiculous.
Quote:
"I think God may have more important issues to worry about than your throat gurgling? Don't get me wrong, it can be bloody annoying, but I think you might be missing the point completely if you pray about such minor self-absorbed problems."

I think people may have more important issues to worry about than your God praying? Don't get me wrong, it can be bloody annoying, but I think you might be missing the point completely if you waste time trying to educate people on such useless pastimes.
I'm a 23 year old female and I've had this issue as long as I can remember. Recently I've been doing clinicals with patients one on one, and it can be really embarrassing! Mostly I make a point of laughing it off when it happens, but I'm working with a population that aren't always able to censor their reactions. One thing I've found that works is either pushing in on the skin just above your sternum (the squishy area of skin right below your larynx) or tucking your chin down when it's happening. It doesn't stop the air from escaping, but it does cause it to happen quietly most of the time. I hope this can help some of you - I'm determined to learn how to burp to see if it helps but for now at least I can hide it :)
Even though I am several years late to this post I would like to offer some information/advice. I am a 22 y/o female with all of the symptoms listed above. Don't burp, had gurgling noises in my throat that would occur primarily after eating/drinking but could also happen at random times during the day, and had severe acid reflux/heartburn. About two months ago, I had the laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication surgery to correct my acid reflux. The surgery was tough, expensive, and a hard two week recovery but I have zero heartburn and my "gurgles" are gone. I remember how stressful and embarrassing having the gurgles was, and I would do it all again if I had to in order to fix that problem. Just wanting people to know that there is a solution for the "gurgles". I promise that it's worth looking into and researching for yourself.
OMG I have the EXAAAAACT same thing. I am a 19 year old female as well. My throat gurgles (nicknamed affectionately "my throat dragon" by my friends) sometimes get to the point that it is painful, but mostly it is just uncomfortable and embarrassing. When I lie down it gets worse for me :/ I also do not throw up very often. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who experiences this.. Just wish I knew what to label it so when someone asks "what was that?" I don't have to explain my throat dragons :(
Could you maybe e-mail me? I have some questions about the surgery you had and what symptoms you had before you had the surgery.

***@****
I posted on this forum a long time ago because I have the same air-escaping phenomenom, from the throat. It's like small elongated little burps that happen immediately after I swallow -- not food but just swallowing saliva. I say this because this thing creates an urge to swallow, so isn't really connected to eating or drinking per say.

Well guys/gals, I know what this is!

I'll be quick as I can but have to describe how I arrived at this. It started, after my years of GERD, that I eventually went in for an upper G.I. for (endoscopy of my upper digestive tract). The Gastro Doc noted only moderate esophagitis and moderate gastritis but also that I have a "mild hiatal hernia". This is when the stomach pushes up through the opening that surrounds the esophagus inside the chest (a very simplified descript) and this opening is supposed to be tighter, not to allow this. Strangely, I didn't ask the Gastro Doc about my strange burp sounds in the throat. I figured anything would show up that was wrong, on the endoscopy results anyway, so I didn't bother.

A month later, I went to a regular MD. I was there for asthma but mentioned the burp sounds and he asked me to swallow, then listened to the aftersound. I DIDN'T TELL HIM that I was diagnosed with the hiatal hernia but he immediately said "that sounds like a hiatal hernia". I almost fell off the exam table when he said that! I then asked him "You mean to tell me that those can make a sound come from your throat and that mine can do this, even with being called 'a mild case'?" He said "It certainly can."

So folks, that's the very likely answer for many of you because the condition is supposed to be common in the general population. If it gets severe enough, it can require surgery (rare). While mine is called mild, it doesn't feel mild to me. Mine also causes an upward pressure feeling in my chest at times (definitely related to digestion) and sometimes pain when I swallow, if it's flaring (not often but pretty rare for me).

So there ya go.
Hey KK,

See my post I made just before this one. I also wanted to post to you directly, to mention that mine is worse when I lay down as well. I also noted you have pain on occasion with yours -- same here! Thought you might find that interesting.

I'm male, just turned 50 but the throat sounds have been there many years! My wife can hear them at times, from across the room.
I've been to about 8 doctors over the past 4 years.

I recently found out that I have Celiac Disease. Everyone with the gurgles should get tested for Gluten! :)

Starting my diet tomorrow ;)
HELLOOOO my non-burping brothas and sistas! I feel like we all have our our bond haha.. Well I can't burp either AND IT *****! I am 20 years old, female, very skinny and good metabolism. I have burped tiny, unexpected burps, like 3 times a year. Each time I get so excited. But they are so small. Other than that I have never been able to burp. :( But the gurgles come in full force, and they are so embarrassing. They love to come out when it's quiet and awkward timing. Some other things:
-i get horribly painful hiccups
-so, so, so bloated. ah. HATE IT.
-it does come out the "other end" more frequent than other people
-always have had anxiety probs.
-rarely throw up
-i feel my closed throat. like i can feel it blocked. i hate it.
it's so annoying!! I make my friends rub my bubbles out and you can literally HEAR THEM. I used to get horrible attacks. Before I knew what this was. I would get horrible chest pain and feel like i couldn't breathe b/c it's so blocked up. And gurgles galore. I went to the doctor and he said I had sickness induced asthma and gave me an inhaler which of course made it worse. It is worse when i have a cold b/c i think i swallow more air.. just sneezing and such. When it's really painful LAYING FLAT ON YOUR BACK is a lifesaver. I've had to do it in public a multiple times. Also when I was in the middle of an attack drinking water would help momentarily, but ultimately i'm sure made it worse because well, swallowing more air.
things i've done that help:
-NEVER chew gum
-NOTHING carbonated
-DO NOT drink from a straw
-NO ice in drinks
-be conscious while swallowing, don't swallow air.. do not gulp
-eat foods that don't cause gas, no white breads..
-sometimes massaging the air in your stomach helps.
-no beer, wine is better but shots are best just because they are strongest and least amount. but don't drink them in one gulp.. chug them..yeah it ***** but you'll thank yourself later.
hopefully one day we will find a cure! I would be SO HAPPY. I'm thinking surgery is the best bet.
I am a 19year old healthy female.  Like everyone else I can not believe how many other people have this!  The whole time reading through the thread I was like omg me too!  These gurgles are actually happening right now and it ***** so bad!!!!!  I don't mind not being able to burp but I do mind having these 'gurgle attacks'. I have a phobia of throwing up so the last time I threw up was 5 years ago and I hated it.  I don't have heartburn but I think I should get tested to see if gluten is the problem as many people have found.  I do fart a lot though,  ever since I was little I was known in the family to fart a lot.  But never in public, only at home.  So maybe this is a gas problem?  I do get bloated a lot as well.  I find It happens more whenever I drink something in a straw, i.e. smoothie, pop, bubble tea..  But sometime I don't even remember drinking anything in a straw and it still happens.  I am going to the doctors and I will literally show her this thread so I hope she knows something that can help with it.  It gets really embarrassing!!!  I even recorded it to show her the sound.  I get a 'gurgle' every 30 seconds or so and it is sooo annoying.  If anyone finds something that reduces these 'attacks' please do post!

Sincerely,
I hate gurgle attacks.
I enjoyed reading your experience. I have the gurgling of the chest symptoms too on a daily basis. My endoscopy revealed a mild hiatal hernia. I also have IBS. Since my hiatal hernia is not large enough for surgery, I am still trying to figure out a way to control these symptoms - gurgling chest, gas/air bubbles in chest and back and can sometimes spread upwards to shoulders. I take Prilosec daily, so I don't have heartburn. Simenthicone (Gas-X), Tums, and Gaviscon don't work. I do burp a lot but it doesn't seem to help 100% because air bubbles are still there. If I can figure out how to control this, I would be so happy! Sometimes, it feels like there's so much gas/air in my chest, it upsets my stomach sometimes or make it growls loudly. It's quite a discomfort with this feeling of wet gas/air bubbles moving around in your upper body! And I am amazed that so many people suffer from hiatal hernias and doctors haven't figured out an effective way to treat folk with small or mild ones.  
I am a 20 year old girl and I have this problem too!
I first noticed it during assemblies at school when I was about 14 and since then it has grown progressively worse.
Average symptoms are gurgling, pain in my oesophagus running down to my sternum, bloatedness.
Occasionally I get really bad 'episodes'. These normally occur if I go out for dinner, get a takeaway, overeat, drink loads and loads of tea, go on a long train journey (which I assume stresses me out), have exams near, or eat really fast. They are increasing in frequency. My whole throat tenses up, the gurgling becomes really loud, it lasts for the whole day, and it is soooo painful. Sometimes I salivate and think I'm going to be sick.
I originally went to the doctor because of heartburn and was put on Omeprazole but after the gurgling got worse I was put on Domperidone (or Motilium). Seriously, this helps a LOT I really recommend it. In no way does it cure it, but if I am drinking alcohol or eating a big meal they are useful.
What worries me is I think it is getting worse, and I just hate it because it is so embarrassing and uncomfortable. It's really frustrating though because while sometimes a cup of tea makes me gurgle, other times it doesn't, and the same thing for cheese/alcohol/anything! There is no common factor!
So glad to have found others who have this!
Mine, has only just happened again, after I ate.
Last time it happened was when I was scared at my friends house, not only that, my friends always looks at me in a strange way, every time they hear it and I am starting to burp.. But not very loud like everyone else, I sound like a baby when I burp.

I get the same feeling when I'm swimming too!
I have had this problem for going on 6 years now. I can't deal with this anymore. It's literally affecting my life. When I lie down, it goes away. It happens everyday, throughout the day, and very rarely fades away. I need answers.
I too have had this problem and symptoms for as long as I can remember.  I don't burp, I have a high metabolism and am skinny, I haven't vomited in so long that I can't remember when I vomited last and I don't drink soda at all.  I do drink coffee in the morning but it doesn't cause my throat to growl.  I find that if I eat foods that are not good for me or if I eat to much this causes the throat growls.  I have the pressure in the breastbone area and in my throat when it is going on and the only relief I can get is if I lay down on my back.  If I turn on my right side it is ok but if I lay on my left side it growls.

I never realized that there were so many people out there with the same thing but how come the doctors can't find a cure or answers for what this is and what causes it.
Hi there,

I hope I can be of some help to you today...

I struggle with Chricopharyngeal muscle dysfunction.  I get 6 monthly botillium injections, into the Chricus muscle to help with the symptoms.

My symptoms:  the funny bubble/gurgly sensation that you described! and the pressure/pain in my breastbone/sternum cause that is where the Chrico musle  is.  I also have a swollen epiglottis and that makes me feel as if there is something stuck in my throat!  my food also gets stuck in my chest and throat.

Go and have a look at "Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction".  I had to see atleast 5 Specialists in the past 5 years, to get a diagnoses.  An Otolaryncologist diagnosed me.
I also have the gurgling/no burping problem and have had numerous tests to no avail.  I've found the gurgling and pain are made worse by liquids.  I can eat dry foods such as a bag of crisps with no problem at all but just one mouthful of water can set me off.  I tried the fingers in the throat thing but that only provided temporary relief.  For me the only way to stop it is to lay on my back.  I have a drink first thing in the morning while I'm still laying back in bed then avoid having anything to drink until I've finished work (approx 10 hours later so not ideal).

Does anyone else have high blood pressure?  I've had it for years but recently have started thinking it's related to my throat problem as it's always higher when I'm gurgling.
This happens to me too! Sometimes, at random times, my throat makes a gurgling noise, and my chest feels slightly tight. I also feel full/bloated. This doesn't happen too often, but it does on random occasion. This only started happening to me recently though. its annoying, especially if I'm in class, or if I'm about to eat because I feel like I can't since I feel full. I don't burp either, and I haven't thrown up for several years as well. Its really weird and a bit uncomfortable.
Me too. Seems like it's just a different brand of normal, there's so many of us! I'm 37, fem, and it doesn't really bother me much anymore, unless its accompanied by nausea or bloating, which is unusual. Cutting out grain-based foods has certainly helped with the bloating.

I have a very strong gag reflex. Brushing my teeth causes a world of grief daily. I haven't read all the posts, because I have a life, but to me the gag reflex has always seemed connected to the gurgling - anyone else? I also have a thick whitish tongue coating that I have to remove every day (not thrush). I wonder if maybe dairy is my culprit. Too bad if it is. The cheese stays!

I was interested in the claims of infrequent vomiting. I hardly ever do, but figured that was normal. I googled 'How often does the average person vomit', and ended up on a forum where people gather to discuss their emetophobia - fear of vomiting. Now THATs something I'm glad I don't have. I'll take the gurgling any day.

My point, it could always be worse.
I am so glad I found this forum.  I'm almost 48 and have been gurgling my whole life.  I've only thrown up a handful of times, and this I consider a good thing.  I've burped once or twice in the last 10 years, but the gurgling is ever present, as well as that lump in my throat, which is fairly new.  

Over the past few years, I've learned the same coping techniques.  I also take courses of Prilosec, which is super helpful.  However, the point is that these things are not particularly dangerous.  It could be so much worse, like cancer.  Perspective is important.  Gurgling can be dealt with.  It's obnoxious, but if I had to choose between gurgles and chemo or something else, give me the gurgles.  IBS is also annoying - anyone who has it will tell you, but again, compare it with other things.  I'll take my gurgles, thank you.  

The truth is that it can be embarrassing.  My daughter and I have had a few laughs over it, and my husband has learned to shrug it off.  It is just a small thing.  It should not ever stop you from having a very normal life.  

That said, I did feel very alone until I found this group of non-burpers/gurglers.  Reading all your stories has made me feel so much better.  
Yep, I also suffer from this. Drinking beer is guaranteed to bring on symptoms. Perspective is important, but it is debilitating to some degree. It's very much a case of just learning how to manage these symptoms, as there doesn't appear to be a cure! That includes learning how to cope with the embarrassment :(
I am 23 yo male who suffers with exactly the same symptoms as everyone else. The only different being that I vomit regularly (I have got use to vomiting to stop the rumbles).

I read something this week regarding the cricoid muscle in your throat. I read that massaging this muscle between your thumb and middle finger can help you to burp and release the air naturally.

I have been doing this for a few days now and have been able to burp for the first times in my life. This of course has decreased the amount of throat gurgling.

Let me know if this works for any of you!
Yea I have exactly the same thing and I think it is related to having Acid Reflux. I have acid reflux and this is caused by it.
I have all of the same symptoms as everyone else. It was funny reading them because I was thinking, I have that, oh my gosh, I have that too. However, I have found a way to stop it for myself. If you think about this, it all has EVERYTHING to do with what you put in your body. Your stomach has to digest what you put in your body and as everyone is completely different, different foods are going to trigger different people.

Because nothing would help I did the opposite of what everyone else did. I went to a dietitian and she actually found a solution for me. Let's hope it works for you too. This is what she explained to me in normal terms:

These symptoms happen to me mostly when I over eat. For years this has been going on and I have been keeping track of when it happens. When I over eat, my throat gurgles and I have the same symptoms as all of you. Let's face it, most of us live in the US and portion sizes have grown over the years. We eat out and we eat more than ever. Even if you're in the best shape of your life and thing and healthy, you can still technically over eat for your stomach.

I live in NYC and the restaurants here are insane. Every single time my parents come to town, we go out and we over eat. All of the symptoms come back for a few weeks. A few weeks after my parents have left and I am back to my normal healthy diet of eggs, salads, protein, vegetables, grains and sadly no processed sugar, or sugar really at all for that matter, the symptoms go away. I NEVER bloat, I never gurgle and I feel so much better. There are occasional times when I do eat something like licorice or gummy bears and I bloat, but I think that has to do with the fact that sugar is like crack and we get addicted and our bodies cannot digest it very well.

It is not only what I put in my body that is important though, it is how much of it I put in. I've cut my meals down to very small portions. Let's say I eat two eggs for breakfast and maybe some fruit.  A small snack, like fruit or yogurt. A salad for lunch. Dinner is more like chicken/pork veggies and grains. Small pieces of dark chocolate for dinner. NO symptoms EVER!

No, why are there no symptoms? Well, my body is not over fed for my stomach so my body can actually digest the food that I am eating at a reasonable rate and does not need to create extra acid to help digest the food. Or, it has enough acid to digest because its small portions of food my body can digest easily.

When we over eat, our bodies cannot digest the food fast enough. This causes our bodies to create more acid, which causes acid reflux, even if you don't have the symptoms, and does not create extra "gases" which your body needs to expel. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: WE ALL HAVE SOME WEIRD SYMPTOMS  WHICH IS MOST LIKELY A HIATAL HERNIA, OR OTHER WEIRD GASTRO ISSUES. When we do have these extra gases and acids in our tummies, our body tries to expel them through burping and farting, attractive right. BUT WE CANNOT BURP! So we get these weird devil noises in our throats. We bloat. We feel sick to our tummies, and we have extra acid in our throats which feel like balls stuck.

SO, how I fixed my symptoms, is eating healthier and eating smaller portions. This way my body can digest the food intake properly and I do not have to deal with all of the side effects of my hiatal hernia like devil voices in my throat. I hope this helps for some of you.

Also, if its happening in the afternoon at work, it's most likely you over ate at lunch.
Laying down on one side DOES make it better and laying on the other DOES make it worse for me too! So crazy I am not alone.
i had experienced the gurgling in my throat for around two years before i figured out a solution that worked for
me and hopefully some of you.

It all started for me after i got diagnosed with hpylori and i had to have the 'triple therapy' including two antibiotics, at this time i was studying pharmacy at uni but never really knew the effect antibiotics can have on your body and did have but thats a whole other story. Anyway ever since then i started getting gurgles in my throat literally every time i ate anything and especially when i ate a full meal or had fizzy drinks etc it would become so bad that it would be non stop for hours and hours leading to be feeling sick (but never actually sick) i remember telling people it was my stomach gurgling to save the embarrassment of them asking me about it because i honestly didn't know what to say. Like most of you have said the only way i could get rid of it was to lie down on my back but i knew i couldn't get away with doing that all the time, there had to be a solution.
I visited so many doctors and had lots of tests done including the barium swallow which all came back normal. The doctors would tell me its acid reflux and give me some PPIs and send me on my way without addressing the cause. But i knew that wasn't the answer, i never felt acid in my throat and mouth but i decided to take  omeprazole, gaviscon, nexium and countless other stomach/reflux OTC medications in hope that it would finally get rid of it but nothing worked in fact it actually made things worse. The gurgles started happening even after just having a sip of water and i noticed how they got really bad during my exam time or any other stressful/anxious situations i was in. I remember one time in my exam i would sit there for the whole 3 hours non stop gurgling which gave me  a lot of anxiety there after. I also tried massaging the area and doing breathing techniques, trying to make myself burp, but again nothing worked.

I then decided to do more research from which i knew that there is a problem with the upper oesophageal sphincter not relaxing when it is supposed to to let any air out instead it gets trapped and makes the gurgle noise (so from my understanding the brain isn't getting receiving the correct signal from the nerves to relax the sphincter so instead it stays contracted). I was  also reading a book at the time called 'brain maker' which explains the connection between the gut and the brain, stating that if you don't have a healthy gut this can directly affect the brain causing anxiety, depression and a whole load of problems.  It also explained that sugary foods, processed food and antibiotics among other things all cause disruption to the gut bacteria meaning there is more bad than good, causing all these side effects. This is when i started taking probiotics every day along with a multivitamin and liquid iron (as i also found out i was anaemic). From this i can say the probiotics have really helped me tremendously with the gurgling and anxiety (which i never used to experienced before the hpylori and the gurgling began) i went from gurgling after every meal to rarely gurgling at all. I do still get some here and there when i have a heavy meal but nothing compared to before. I am still not sure if the gurgling caused the anxiety or the anxiety caused the gurgling, i like to believe its a bit of both.
I really encourage you to at least try taking it and see if it makes any difference, but bare in mind it may be weeks or months for you to notice a difference as it takes time for the bacteria in the gut to rebalance again to a healthy state. i hope this will help some of you as i know how horrible this condition can be at times and how it can affect your life in more ways than one.
I have exactly the same issues and have all my life, sometimes it goes on for hours with very little relief. That is the only way I can ease it is to make myself gag with forces air and a horrible sound out. Not fun and not somehting you can do discretely.
I have the same issue.  I've had it for awhile but it has only gotten worse. Pressure builds up and I have the gurgle of air and fluid. I rarely burb.  My situation is complicated by a bad smell like from the bowels. Do you have any other symptoms?  What have you found to help?
If you are still on here or get this, please contact me.  Pretty sure I have the same symptoms and I try the same things.  Are you any better?  
I have the same problem as you! My throat gurgles and so does my stomach. My doctor recommended a blood test so I got one last week, and the results were fine. My stomach still gurgles as well as my throat 24/7. I have been having bad smells from the bowels also. My anxiety has been getting to me because of this. I take an over the counter acid stopper every morning because I had acid reflux in the past and my doctor told me to take it every morning. I will be going to the doctor soon, but can someone help me out!
I would HIGHLY recommend you all try taking probiotics for at least a month ( as cleopharm suggested a few posts above). My gurgling has improved a lot . I took the walgreens 4 strain probiotic. Please try this i know how much it ***** very horribly to have the gurgling all the time throughout the day.
Oh yes, I take probiotics now and my gurgling has mostly gone away as well!!! I never even made the connection.
is this still working for you?
Hey, blattslatt, could you post a link or give the brand of probiotics you use? I'd like to get the same and try them out. You say it may take months to fully see the effects?
What are the probiotics?
I had this condition every since I was a little kid, up until just a few years ago. Just lots of very very loud gurgling. Eventually horrific heartburn also became a major problem. Lately I have had heartburn so bad that I will just start coughing til I puke. However, I think my gurgling has mostly gone away. I'm not sure why, considering I still drink a ton of sodas (which I am trying desperately to quit). Mine always was the worst when I was around other people, especially on dates. I think mine had a LOT to do with nerves. Maybe I was tense and that messed up my throat somehow. Anyway, I've been trying to figure out what I have been doing differently and the only thing I can think of at this point is that I eat a lot of fermented foods, mostly sauerkraut. I know that fermented foods are supposed to help with digestion issues, so it is worth a shot for you all to try. Make sure it is raw and fermented (i.e. don't get the shelf stable stuff). I love Bubbie's brand but there are tons more out there. Kimchi is also fermented, just make sure it is raw and hasn't been pasteurized. If someone tries this, I would be interested to hear if it helps them or not. I also do a lot of stretching now, maybe twisting your body around in yoga type positions helps? All I can say is that I used to not be able to burp without a lot of effort and now I burp all the time. I burp loudly and proudly, even at work. lol.
is this still working for you? I'm looking for anything to do at this point, I've tried all this acid reflux crap but I dont even think I have acid reflux, it's just this annoying throat gurgling sound.
Thank god I found other people who have this problem. Exact same symptoms as everyone else, wont list them again. I only started getting this a few years ago, maybe when I was 15 but I've never been able to burp as well. I always played it off as nothing and my friends thought I was so weird for not being able to, I'm now 21 and the gurgling has gotten to an all-time annoying level, so much so that I cant sleep at night and have to just wait for it to go away. I was diagnosed with acid reflux but i rarely, if ever, have symptoms of it, I take all the meds for it and have tried all the home remedies but it's not acid reflux I'm trying to cure, I'm just  misinformed. I now know what it is and am starting the Omeprazole today to try and stop it for good. I did notice that when i cut carbs out, it stopped for a bit, ive since started eating them again and it's come back. Hope this stuff works because it's unbelievably annoying in class or with people. Good luck to everyone.
hey guys unfortunately, after taking the proiotics for a about a couple of months, my gurgling returned, however, not at the same level but it was still annoying. However, I tried something called CBD oil, which is supposed to be some sort of detox for your body that is very healthy. Im not sure if it was some freak coincidence or whatever it was, but I am now burping after starting to drink that CBD oil. The gurgling is still there but to a veryyyyy small degree which does not really bother me anymore. I dont burp like a normal person, but it is enough to get the gas out. I'd highly recommend you all to try to get your hands on this CBD oil if you cant burp. Its quite expensive but for me it was well worth it. You can buy it from either a marryjane clinic or probably even online if you can find  a legitimate source
I take it that this would be the CBD oil with THC? Do you know if the kind without the THC is effective at all? Living in NC, that's the only kind I can get my hands on right now...
Hello, my fiance has this problem and we need to find relief.  In what form did you take the oil, how much did you take, and how long before relief.
I have struggled with the same issue all of my life...

-can't burp (except a few little ones ever in my life accidentally)
-rarely vomit (a few times in my life - NOT COMPLAINING)
-weird croaking / gurgling
-occasional/rare acid reflux
-good metabolism
-and one last thing that I haven't seen mentioned is I hiccup randomly as well after I eat (not always and it's always just one) Anyone else have that along with their issues??

I read EVERYONES posts and there doesn't seem to be a general cure :(

Please help - I have never mentioned this to a doctor but after reading all of this I think I will!

-I am a 20 year old female
-weird croaking / gurgling
-occasional/rare acid reflux
-good metabolism

hey guys i just wanted to give an update on my post which is towards the end of the thread. I stopped taking the CBD oil ( without the thc) and at this point I can burp like a normal person, or more beastly shall i say. So i highly recommend everyone to try it. The gurgling has practically vanished and i know how annoying it is at all times of the day, so PLEASE try it out, extremely cheap for the benefits that it can bring to your life
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!! For the longest time I thought I was the only one!! After every meal/drink I have this weird sound coming from my throat (along with all the side effects you named like the pressure and the no burping) and people give me weird looks and it is SUPER EMBARRASSING. I have tried to stay away from carbonated drinks but it didn't help. If anyone knows how to treat this or what it's called please tell me!
Alright. So, I've posted a couple of times on here before but I have (hopefully) found an update. I, too, have never been able to burp like a "normal" person. Both of my kids have the same problem. I mention this to EVERY medical professional I know in hopes of someone having some type of diagnosis. A couple of years ago, I was also diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus and prescribed a lifetime of Prilosec. Doesn't make me burp but eases the pain in my belly some. I DO NOT like the idea of a lifetime of PPI meds to not fix everything. But, I don't want esophageal cancer, either. So, I started researching AGAIN. Turns out that 90% of people diagnosed with GERD or related stomach acid problems actually produce too LITTLE. Therefore, the entire digestive tract is affected. Basically, there is too little HCL in the stomach to ward off the bacteria, leading to overgrowth of bad bacteria (including H. pylori) in the intestines. Also, food is not broken down and does not absorb properly....especially carbs. End result is gas produced in the gut and malfunction of the LES. Is this the answer? I don't know but I am about to go on a strict diet and an HCL supplement. Will update when I find out more!
Hey y'all. I developed this problem about 8 months ago and have been living in absolute misery. The belching sounds start at the base of sternum and travel up my esophagus. It happens no matter what time of day, whether I eat nothing or eat too much and I seem to really struggle in anxious situations. The issue forced me to quit school because I would uncontrollably croak in the middle of silent classes, during tests and while I thought i could play it off as stomach growls, I started noticing people making fun of me. I've had so many hopeless theories about my LES being permanently dysfunctional and worried that maybe drinking too much coffee has affected me forever. I would exercise and monitor my first consistently. I was reluctant to seek medical answers after reading other stories with the same issue and no answer. I tried every antacid and home remedy which all seemed to make the problem worse. After reading this post, I feel so thankful. I purchased the CBD oil and already notice improvements on the first day. I'm so amazed and astounded with this product. Go get it right away!
Hi all,

Great to see that so many other people know exactly what I've been through. Some of you might be excited to read that I "cured" myself of this condition when I was about 23 (I'm 28 now). I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone; I can only tell you that this method, for whatever reason, stopped the gurgles and helped my body figure out how to burp naturally.

First, understand that my problem was that the sphincter at the top of my esophagus simply didn't open to release built-up gas. The gas would remain in my esophagus, gurgle around, and not go away until it made its way through my digestive system and was released in the form of flatulence.

So, I would stick my fingers down my throat to release the gas whenever I felt the pressure of the gas in my chest/throat. I tended to feel the gas and pressure after eating acidic food like fruit, dairy, and sweets. Anyway, I would just head into the bathroom, stick my fingers down my throat to induce a big gag and therefore a burp to release the gas. I would just do this a few times until I felt that all the pressure was relieved (i.e. all the gas had been released). After doing this multiple times a day for several months, one day I was sitting at my desk and out of no where I just BURPED. Really loud. For the first time ever. I continued the fingers-down-throat trick for a few more months, and noticed that I started burping on my own more and more. I gather that inducing burps for so long somehow loosened the upper esophageal sphincter, and allowed it to open when it needed to in order to release gas.

It's been several years, and I can now burp properly after eating food. I certainly can't make myself burp on command, and I do still occasionally get a gurgle that I have to release manually, but overall I can say that I am no longer afflicted by these loud gurgle-y burps and the uncomfortable pressure.

I hope this helps someone out there. Just stick with it - you never know if it'll "cure" you too!
Hi all,