Gastroenterology Community
septated gallbladder

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

septated gallbladder

I recently went to the doctors for mild intermittent pain under my ribs on the right side with back pain also.  It wasn't that bad to go the the hospital and it hasn't been all that bad....just annoying.  I was referrred to get a ultrasound done.  As I was getting the ultrasound done, the tech left the room to find someone to help her because she saw something funny on the ultrasound and didn't know what it was.  The other tech came in and she said she saw a septum in my gallbladder...basically telling me I have a wall separating my gallbladder and I have polyps.  I have no stones and I have no thickening.  But I still have that annoying pain.. Could this be causing it??   Then the report to my doctor, nothing was mention about the septum nor the polyps???  I understand that the ultrasound tech can't tell you but they were very experienced and I saw them measuring the polyps on the screen.  What does all this mean??
hi, im wondering why you didnt bring up the septum and polyps with your gp, basically when they were measuring the polyps they wanted to see if they were oversized and if not then no action should be taken, also if there was a problem the tech would have had it in his final report to your gp.cheers.
There are people who have septated gallbladders although I believe it is fairly rare. It happens when the inner part of the gallbladder is divided by thin membrane(s) into separate small chambers instead of one large chamber - whcih is considered normal. A septated gallbladder is thought to predispose one to gallstones, however it is not a known cause of symptoms or complications by itself, so it's not typically thought to be problematic.

Polyps can be problematic depending upon the size of the polyps and their placement. If you were told you had polyps, make sure you bring the subject up with your doctor.