Gastroenterology Community
shape of stool
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

shape of stool

Hi, I am concerned about the shape of my stool. It is thin pencil shaped pellets. Its been like that for a couple of years now.

I have a problem of loose stool a few times a day since 12 years. It was bothersome but i wasn't in pain and the shape of stool was fine (when not loose). A couple of years ago, i developed yet another problem. I started getting cramps with sudden urgency to go. The cramps would subside after the bowel movement. Only a small amount is passed and it feels like there is more that wont come out. This would happen several times a day. Either the stool is loose or it is pencil shaped pellets. I don't see any bleeding in it. I don't get constipated though. I also developed annal fissure as well approx. at the same time the cramps started and was in a lot of pain because of it.

Right now the cramps and urgency are not that bad although i didnt take anything other than pepto bismal  for it. The anal fissure has healed on its own and the hemorrhoids(always have them since childhood) are better. But the shape of my stool is still pencil shaped pellets.

I was diagnosed with IBS 12 years ago. I also had parasites and docs didnt know what was wrong. I am 34 now and never had a colonoscopy done or abdominal CT scan or stool test . I told my doctor this now and she is fine with 12 year old diagnosis of IBS. I am really concerned about what could be causing my stool to be like thin pellets. Please Help!