Gastroenterology Community
sma syndrome

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

sma syndrome

I just yesturday found out that an Upper GI series i had done two weeks ago showed that i had superior mesenteric artery syndrome.  I had a bowel recection done 2/2007 and have had numerous hospitalizations since presenting myself with upper abdominal pain, neausa, vomitting, loose stools producing small amounts at t time, pain due to pressure up against my diaphram, feeling extreemly full, distention of my belly, burping alot...and such.  I have been treated each time for "symptoms" but never given an reason.  This last hospital stay was when they did the UGI series and the hospitalist did not even tell me what the UGI said or what the radiologist called it (smas).  It took me talking to my primary Dr. and him looking up on the computer the results.  This has crippeled my life now for a year and a half.  I have chronic symptoms and well as acute that flare up.  Now that i have a diagnosis to go on, how can I find the nearest place to me that treats SMAS (b/c the Dr/s in this area are way under qualified.  I can't live like this any more, I need to find someone who can help fix this.  I live in Vestal NY.  IF anyone out there can help me understand what to do next PLEASE say so!!  I am so desperate.  I have been given such the run around in my area and I am hoping to find a Dr who can help before i end up in the hospital here locally again b/c it is so bad.  Thanks for any info you have to either help me understand the syndrome better or to find a couple options of places that have Dr who treat SMAS.  Nicole

This discussion is related to Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (SMAS).
Nicole, my wife was just diagnosed with SMA syndrome and I was wondering if you ever found anyone to help you.  
Hi. My 14 year old daughter was told she had SMA back in January of this year. It took a lot for a Dr. to perform sugery on her. i made it known that it was the only option for her. it took her life away. She had been a happy healthy kid with great marks in school and wonderful dancer. It took all that away from her. She was unable to go to school or dance class most of the time and it put her into an awful depression. She couldn't cope with the vomiting, pain and bloating, It was almost all the time. Finally after 3 months of this and many visits to the Dr. the surgeon finally agreed to do her surgery. She had a duodenojejunostomy in July of this year and my daughter is feeling wonderful. She has gone back to her normal weight and is feeling so healthy again. My opinion on this is to stand your ground and find a good surgeon to perform surgery. Its unfair for someone to have to suffer like this! Unfortunatly im not sure how to go about this in the US. I like in Canada and there were many options for a pediatric surgeon. I hope you have found someone who could help you out! Good luck!