sores in the mouth and esophagus
My son is 22 last week he was sick with a fever and chills he then developed canker sores in the mouth and we think they traveled to the esophagus. We have been to the emergency room twice in one week because he could not eat or drink. He is 147 pounds and lost 14 pounds! Yesterday at the emergency room they gave him one bag of iv fluids and a percusett and said it is a virus and he will have to wait it out.The percusett allows him to at least eat apple sauce and popsicles. I would like your opinion
A virus can cause this.  He needs to eat small fequent meals, soft foods that are easily swollowed, cold foods, stay away from whitening toothpastes, and mouthwashes containing alcohol, and not brush the affected area. They normally will prescribe pain medication to allow the person to eat.  I hope they gave him more than just one pain pill.
Rinse his mouth with warm water and a small amount of baking soda every time he eats.
Avoid acidic or salty foods.  But if he isn't doing better in a few days I would have him checked out again.  There are other things than a virus that can cause mouth sores.
sounds like he contracted hiv