Gastroenterology Community
upper endoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

upper endoscopy

Im scheduled for an upper endoscopy Oct. 15th and was wandering if the procedure can find problems w/ the gallbladder when other tests fail to do so. The reason Im asking is that I have been having severe pain in my upper right abdomen, and every other test has failed to find anything.

I had an upper endoscopy while I was experience what later was found to be gallbladder problems. The endoscopy just gives the doctor a clear view of your esophagus, stomach, and upper part of your intestine and can test for unwanted bacteria and look for ulcers. Ultrasound or HIDA scans are mainly used to check suspected diseased gallbladders...and they cannot be seen on the endoscopy.
Thanks. I keep going through weird scenarios in my head. I worried that they find nothing. I know that the problem is my gallbladder, but how do you get the doctor to listen to you? I tell you if they dont find anything with this test, I am going to scream. It such a pain in the butt going through all these tests. Besides a person can have gallstones that dont show up on tests. If the gallstones are not calcified, then there not going to show up. I wish that they would just remove the gallbladder, and get it over with.
I know EXACTLY what you are dealing with. I just went through all of this and the doctor finally decided after family history *my mom and 3 first cousins had gallbladder issues* and my HIDA scan *only functioning at 41%* he decided best to send me on to a surgeon. Make sure you let that doctor know just HOW MUCH this pain is affecting your life. Do not rest until you get a solution!
Nice to know I not the only one going through this ****. Would it be too hasty for me to go ahead and make an appt. with a general surgeon?
As long as your insurance company does not require a referral for the general surgeon..I do not think it is too hasty to make an appointment. This will show them that you are concerned and want something done SOON!
Well I had the EGD on the 15th. They completely knocked me out. I asked the nurse if the gastroenterologist found anything, and she said I had gastritis. Im not sure if they took any biopsies or not. I follow up with the gastro on Nov. 12th. Im not sure what form of gastritis I supposedly have. Anyways, they put me on Librax and Prilosec. By the way I wound up in ER Friday the 12th. I was in there from 1:30 pm to 6:30 pm. They ran bloodwork and nothing. I was praying to God that they would admit me, but they didnt. Keep ya posted
I got the results back from the EGD yesterday. They said I had esophagitis, which doesnt explain anything. I dont see how that has anything to do with the upper right abdominal pain. I think there just trying to skate around the actual problem. I got some questions to ask the gastro doc on the 12th. But I think Im also going to talk to my Internal medicine guy and see what he says.Help me!!!!