Gastroenterology Community
why do i feel lightheaded sometimes after meals even when im sitting do...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

why do i feel lightheaded sometimes after meals even when im sitting down

why do i feel light headed after meals and sometimes i feel so even when im sitting down and not even eating. I did an ECG and an echocardiogram on my heart it was normal, but somedays i feel light headed especially during mid-day, even when im sitting down. My heart races sometimes but it`s mainly caused by me worrying if im gonna faint or die. It sometimes is accompanied by slight head aches, it lasts for anytime betweeen 15mins-1hr. I was a chronic smoker but i have stopped smoking for 3 months now, so would this be a reason?

This discussion is related to Light headedness after eating..
I have had similar in the past has gone for the Moment, but I found it was yo do with the Low Blood sugar I am not diabetic but do get Hypoglecemia, and eating effects it , get your Blood suger level tested ,I also got palipations and found them worse when I was anxious.
I have also started having these symptoms in the last 1 week. Dizzyness, and difficulty in applying my mind right after meals. More severe after breakfast, and then it becomes less obvious during subsequent meals. The dizziness is sometime accompanied by palpitations/ throbbing in the neck.

I am 35, 77 kg, and am relatively active (gym 2-3 times a week). I have no other problems, and am not on any medication. My father has type 2 diabetes, so I have been worried that I'll get it too. When I started getting these dizzy spells, I suspected reactive hypo.

I visited my GP, and told her about my symptoms. Since I did not have the classical diabetes symptoms, she said it was not likely diabetes, and did a test. It was exactly 2 hours after my bf, and the level came to 76 - well within normal ranges - but a bit low.

Not fully satisfied, I started checking my bg regularly using my father's meter, and my readings are averaging 110 fasting and between 105 and 120 2 hours after breakfast. Strangely, I have never had a reading less than 100 on my father's meter, so the 76 at the GPs was a huge outlier (could the GPs or my father's meter be wrongly calibrated?).

I am not totally confused, and need some advice. I am considering:

1. Ask my GP for a reference to a diabetes specialist
2. Get a new Glucose meter

Does anyone with similar symptoms have had any further learning on the cause for this condition?
I have had this happen on several occasions and even went through all the same heart tests you went through.  It is a very scary feeling!  It  turned out that I have hypoglycemia.  It is specifically known as reactive hypoglycemia as it happens as a result of eating.  I had a glucose tolerance test done where they make you drink a soda-like drink that has a high sugar content and then they take your blood every so often after you consume it to see what your blood glucose levels do. Mine took a dive into the mid 40's and the lab technician had to move me to a room with a call button as he was afraid I might pass out.  My levels ended up coming back up on their own, but if they wouldn't have, they would have had to give me something to eat to get them back on track.

Something you could try when you have these dizzy spells is to drink a little orange juice, suck on a piece of candy or even eat a cracker and see if that helps.  If it is happening because your blood glucose levels are too low, these things will bring you back very quickly.  

You may also want to keep in mind, that high blood glucose levels give you about the same feeling.  It might be wise to get yourself checked for diabetes. You can actually get a blood glucose monitor very cheap these days and test your own blood glucose levels when you have that dizzy feeling.

Hope you find some answers soon.
In case you are still following this thread, what was the answer to your problems?
I hope you are feeling good now.
I'm having similar problems, did a lot of tests (EEG, MRI, MRA, ECG, Holter, blood tests, etc) and don't have an answer after about 4 months. I'm looking for any direction that I can suggest to my doctors.
I've had these symptoms too, and that is why I went online to look for an answer. I had bloodwork done last year to find out the reason why, but they came back normal. As you said, I feel lightheaded and strange after my first meal and less as the day goes on. I don't feel dizzy before I eat only after. I suspect it depends on what I eat or drink. I like hot tea with sugar, and I think the sugar in the tea spikes my blood sugar. I can't even touch yogurt or Raisin Bran, because these make me lethargic. I've been eating egg sandwiches a lot for breakfast, because these give me the most energy without making me feel sluggish. My grandma is a diabetic, so I wonder if this is an indicator that I might get Diabetes down the road.
I have these feeling too, sometimes before eating and sometimes after after eating, even i tried to limit my diet.. Lately i found out that not eating to much oily foods, and sea foods help me not to get dizzy, I stopped eating too much fatty foods and processed foods..

And having chalistenics exercises or daily exercise get me more ok than before..

exercises that's makes you sweat really helps. (but if you have heart problem walking and stretching helps.. but first of all consult doctor first)
Hi I also feel light headed after I eat any meal light or heavy or healthy. I just turned 31 and ive gone to the ER 3 times in the last 6 months, it all starts with a stomach pain I go to the bathroom I feel like vomiting and a throbing head ache takes over followed by my heart beat racing fast, I feel as if I am gonna pass out or die!! And saliva starts to decrees to the point I have none. Everytime I go to the ER they check my heart with a machine they do blood work blood presure sugar levals and find nothing!! It is very stressfull to no something must be wrong but the doctors find nothing... Someone please help this is very scary!!! I feel like im going to die!!!!
I am 33. I have been having these exact same symptoms for the last 2.5 years. I have been typo the ER twice and spent countless dollars and time with various specialists. I had s tilt test done, all heart-related tests, EKG, ECHO, blah blah....had an upper GI recently done. I get my blood tested every 3 months. Guess what is wrong? No one knows! We did a sleep study. Came back I had sleep apnea. So now I have been using a machine every night. Nope, this didn't work either. Still having same symptoms. Some evenings on the way home or in the morning on my way to work, symptoms magnify causing me to pull over before I black-out and get in a wreck. Sweaty palms, racing heart, shortness of breath, dry mouth, dizzyness, craving for water. Still don't know what's wrong.
Everyone that posted recently: please post your questions as their own post so that we can answer your questions because this post is over 2 years old.
I have the same nausea, light headed and headaches.  I do have Postural orthstatic tachycardia, IBS,  I have taken Meclizine (by perscription) but it does not help.  I can turn my head and be light headed and nauseous weather I eat or not . I'm on Beta blockers, High blood Pressure med, synthroid and digoxin. My eyes feel stressed too.  I need someone to figure out something that will help.
I have been dealing with the lightheadeness for about 1 & 1/2 years. I get it sometimes after eating, driving for a long time, and sometimes for no reason. I went through all of the tests bloodwork, stress test, echogardiogram,24 monitor, colonoscopy, and trechoscopy and nothing was found all was normal.I was told it had to due with my blood pressure dropping, but I am not so sure. I lay down for 30 minutes and I feel fine. I will be doing the tilt table test on the 29th and we will see what it shows. But I have tryed it all eating food, sweets, but the trigger can not be found.
Hi I have the same symptoms and was hospitalized yesterday, I'm about to schedule an Endoscopy because I travel a lot and wonder if besides my acid reflux problems I might have some sort of parasite that might be causing these symptoms.  Although it sounds to me as a sugar problem; however, yesterday at the hospital my blood work came out fine but I didn't have a bite since 10 am and they took the blood around 2 or 3 pm.  So I will double check with the Gastro doctor.  Anyhow, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has these terrible symptoms.  Good luck to everyone and as soon as I find out anything I'll post it here.
Have you had your calcium levels checked?  Improper calcium gives the same symptoms you describe.  Especially thirst.  The parathyroid controls calcium so get that checked too.  All done with a fasting blood test - you want both calcium levels to be checked: standard Calcium and ionized Calcium and your PTH (Parathyroid). Hope this helps!
I am 27 y/o M and had a "near syncope" episode 10days ago.  I was sitting relaxing on couch watching tv when it happened, felt like i was going to die - very terrifying.  Now I get terrible dizziness / fuzzy headachy feeling after I eat and abdominal pains.  I am having it right now...  Went to drs and had CXR, EKG, blood work (cbc, thyroid, metabolic panel).  Family telling me i have painc attacks but it doesnt fit my personality/ what i am noticing.  Some days i feel much better than others.  What is going on?! Im thinking of taking antibiotics to see if this helps.  Anyone who was previously completely healthy figure out what to do to fix this?
Wow, is there something in the air, because I feel the exact same way. It has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Right after eating, I feel nauseated and I get a headache. My heart starts racing and I don't know what causes it. I have been having bowel problems for a few days and don't know if there is a problem that is just escalating. If someone finds out something, pleas post. Thank you
Been having the same symptoms since june 2010 right after taking an allergy shot now I have to eat to just keep from feeling like I am going to pass out. By the way oatmeal or two breakfast burritos helps.  Or try the cereal kashi go lean crisp or crunch cereal for breakfast.  Spent numerous time and money just to find out I am hypoglycemic. Lost over 25 pounds with no effort.  Any one came across anything else that helps
To everyone that has posted recently: You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
Anyone on Chemotherapy?  I am on FEC chemo for breast cancer and find that about a week after around of chemo whenever I have something eat, I feel lightheaded, my eyes get a "chemo head" feeling, and I feel very tired and have to go for a sleep.  It seems to happen mostly if the meal contains carbohydrates, eg rice,
iv been feeling sick and dizzy like im going to pass out after eating shootin pains in my belly realy bloted dry mouth and feel like iv got to catch my breath all the time i get realy sceard thinking im going to die n have to try calm my self down, i got rushed in to hospital last week got blood took, heart looked at n everything was fine they said it was anxiety but it ant made me any better

any one ??

any one ??
Same as me, exact in symptoms. The thirst and everything. The closest I've come is a cyst on the pituitary gland. I'm still exploring this. I am confirmed as having one, but a certain type causes these symptoms exactly.
hello     I have just recently been having these symptoms.  I feel light headed, confused and then scared with the dry mouth, racing heart  beat.  I used to smoke marijuana and Ive just recently, for the past month quit and this is when my symptoms began.  Im not sure if theres a connection there. Also after a night of going out and having a couple of drinks, i found this to be a time when my symptoms would flare up.  I think its an anxiety thing but i work out and i tend to be fairly stressfree.
reading your post reminded me of a med I was on for blood pressure that gave me those same syntoms especially the eye problem you describe. Check your meds, I have taken the same combination you are taking anf the thyroid also gave me problems.
I have this problem if I eat no carbohydrate for breakfast and just protein. I put mine down to something I've been diagnosed with twice called adrenal fatigue. I'm an athlete and my cortisol levels (tested using a 24hr saliva test protocol) were not responding during the day the way they were supposed to. This impacted many things. First I felt a little light headed all day, but usually worse in the morning after breakfast. I also had heart palpitations. I followed a therapy routine, eliminated certain foods that I suspected I was intolerant too (gluten, eggs, chocolate, dairy other than cheese) and I got a lot better in about 2 months. I still get light headed if I've done a long trip and am trying to adjust time zones, but usually it's right after breakfast and in particular right after I eat a protein breakfast without my usual rice noodles.

Patient915 - If the thread keeps popping up and helping people who cares how old it is. It's dumb to start new threads as it spreads the material all over the place and it's much harder to find based on how someone has worded their question.
I have had dizzy spells  for a year it only goes if I lie down,I'm not diabetic but I have migraines which last up to 4 days,every 3 weeks,the dizziness comes and goes when at work or at home I'm getting tested for the menopause as my mum started early and my sister,I drink a lot of water as I can't drink tea or coffe due to the caffeine as it cane make my bad heads worse,any answers would be grateful
Sounds like you may have an arrhythmia... you should continue to follow with a cardiologist... think about having a stress test, as well as a tilt table test.... You should undergo heart rhythm monitoring with a holter monitior or loop recorder...  this should you to get a diagnosis.. definitely follow with a cardiologist.
I also have similar symptoms with no relief from docs...I was DEHYDRATED!  I know seems too simple, not the solution, but try this you have nothing to loose except maybe some pain and discomfort.  I was fortunate to be able to talk to a nutritionist at my gym who helped me with this issue.   I truly hope this helps you too!

For 2 solid weeks drink 64 oz of water, plus if you drink any caffeine you have to drink that same amount of water in addition to the original 64 oz.  So, if you drink your 64 oz that day and you have a Venti from Starbucks you add 20 more oz of water, now you have to drink 84 oz!  

This is the recommended method of daily water intake.  The water will give you more energy, help you with digestion especially if you eat a lot of salt (which dehydrates), and help keep skin younger looking.  I know it seems as though you'll be swimming, but force your self to do it for 2 weeks you will be glad you did.  If this helps continue this on the regular.  If you add flavor to your water make sure it doesn't have sugar in it or it doesn't count (iced tea, lemonade, and Kool-Aid don't count!)

Here's a simple test you can do to see if you're dehydrated:
Bend the elbow of one arm and keep your arm straight from your elbow to your finger tips.  Now without bending your wrist or hand, with your free hand pinch the middle knuckle of your straight hand so that the flap of skin you are pinching runs the same direction of your fingers.  Let go.  If the flap of skin goes down back to normal slowly, or worst doesn't flatten, you are dehydrated!  Go get some water!
The doc told me it could be drug withdrawals. My blood is fine too. If you guys do drugs that's part of the problem. I'm only 18!
I've had 3 syncopal episodes in the past, both of which I passed out from. The first time was after I took Dramamine for the first time, and the second time was after an energy supplement. I've had a history of ulcers, but ever since my second syncopal episode, I have had many of the same symptoms as you. Lightheadedness, sweaty palms, especially after eating, inability to concentrate, loss of energy after eating, severe abdominal and chest pain, and even coughing and shortness of breath. I have no idea what's been going on, but I saw my doctor and now have to go for neurological and heart tests. I made an appointment to see my gastro, but unfortunately have to wait a month for an appointment. I've been looking up diseases on my own, but who knows if I'll figure out what's going on. It's only been 2 weeks, but it feels a lot longer.
Has anyone been checked for Hypoglycemia? I had all the same problems and this is what my doctor told me was my problem.

Hypoglycemia is a condition characterized by an abnormally low level of blood sugar (glucose), your body's main energy source.

Hypoglycemia is commonly associated with diabetes. However, a variety of conditions, many of them rare, can cause low blood sugar in people without diabetes. Like fever, hypoglycemia isn't a disease itself — it's an indicator of a health problem.

Immediate treatment of hypoglycemia involves quick steps to get your blood sugar level back into a normal range, either with high-sugar foods or medications. Long-term treatment requires identifying and treating the underlying cause of hypoglycemia.

Symptoms
Your brain needs a steady supply of sugar (glucose), for it neither stores nor manufactures its own energy supply. If glucose levels become too low, as occurs with hypoglycemia, it can have these effects on your brain:

*Confusion, abnormal behavior or both, such as the inability to complete routine tasks.
*Visual disturbances, such as double vision and blurred vision
*Seizures, though uncommon.
*Loss of consciousness, though uncommon

Hypoglycemia may also cause these other signs and symptoms:

*Heart palpitations
*Tremor
*Anxiety
*Sweating
*Hunger

These signs and symptoms aren't specific to hypoglycemia. There may be other causes. Measurement of your blood sugar level at the time of these signs and symptoms is the only way to know for sure that hypoglycemia is the cause.

http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-MADS00198/Hypoglycemia?q=hypoglycemia&qpvt=hypoglycemia. READ MORE

I have had almost all these symptoms and I found my answer.  I had all the heart tests done, I had multiple blood tests done, I monitored my blood sugar, etc.  The ONLY thing I could do was stop eating wheat.  I have been tested for celiac, but I was clean.  However, after 2 weeks of not eating wheat my symptoms went away.  Before you get too skeptical....I was on anti-depressants, I had been diagnosed as having IBS, I wore a belt heart monitor, I had panic attacks that were near debilitating ( I was stranded on a canyon hwy once and had to be taken to hospital by hwy patrol), I started getting severe migraines...I am telling you people, I had all the same symptoms and this came on pretty suddenly...I do not have hypo tendencies either.  I rarely ever went to the dr. my first 30 years and I have been about 20-30 times in the last 6 years.  As soon as the wheat cleared my system I was off meds and in the clear.  Every now and then I will eat something with wheat at a family dinner and almost immediately I have stomach cramps, get headaches and experience dizziness and heart flutters, which produce light panic attacks.  Then I have to remind myself..."YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE LIKE THAT ANYMORE!!!"  Gluten tolerance is rarely discussed but it is very real and can develop over time.  Try it...it's not hard and with all the recently diagnosed celiac patients out there these days, gluten free food is very easy to come by.  Not only that, but you will drop some lbs along the way.  I am a very big guy (muscular and fat :) so losing the 40 lbs was just an added plus.  340 to 300.  Believe it or not my ideal weight is actually 245 so I am not as far from my goal as you might think.  DO IT!! YOU WILL FEEL BETTER!!
This looks to me like you are going to a panic attack, so have your levels of serotonin check and start working on your stress. I hope this could help.
I really feel for you.  I started having near syncope episodes at 28, have seen several heart specialists, all of whom decided it was anxiety.  All the tests, some of which were pretty rotten, came back negative.  One of these specialists also wrote in my notes that he thought i needed to see a psychiatrist due to my 'appalling levels of anxiety'.  He should try spending 32 years dropping to the floor in shops, etc because you think you're going to faint - yep, I was anxious, alright!!!!!

At the age of 60 I changed to a female GP, and happened to mention it (I'd given up any hope of getting help) who instantly said that it was an electrical fault that could be treated by drugs or a small op.  She referred me to a brilliant specialist who confirmed the diagnosi simply by me wearing an ECG machine for long enough for it to catch an episode.  I've been on the tablets for 18 months, has never happened since!!  Thanks, to those arrogant idiots who've ruined half my life.  Keep fighting till they get to the bottom of it.  I wish you the very best of luck - and an excellent GP! x
Hell Scooter,

How are you doing? I read your post today b/c I have the same  symptoms with me these days. Did you get any solution so far. Please let me know b/c it will defnitely help me much.

Thanks,
I get light-headed after eating sometimes (lunch only), but I do know all or at least partially what causes mine.  Two cups of coffee for breakfast, not enough water after drinking the diuretic (coffee), then drinking something like Diet Coke or unsweetened ice tea for lunch.  I feel like my head is nervous and it has given me anxiety.  If I know all this, why don't I quite drinking caffeine?  It "ain't" that easy for me I guess, but I will have to.  I recently discovered this through tests of my own.  Hope this helps someone.  

Water:  When I drink more water, I do feel better, but I never sip it all day like one should.  I guzzle it, meaning I'm already really dehydrated and thirsty.

My next approach is to quite caffeine entirely.  Keep water handy as if I'm toting my coffee mug around.   If I get the symptoms without caffeine, then I'll buy a blood sugar level tester and test after lunch.
Add me to the list.

I can sleep all night, wake up fine, eat breakfast, and about 1/2 hour later be so tired my eye won't focus. Luckily I am self employed at home so I can lay down. I will sleep an additional 2-3 hours and experience "sleep paralysis" during this time....even if I wake up my body won't respond. Eventually I do wake up and move, yet have a confusion that last about another hour or so. Any other meal doesn't effect me....just breakfast. It doesn't matter what I eat either.

My blood test come back normal. Blood sugar is normal. It's weird. No one take offense but I am glad others have the same problem.  
i feel the same way...i'm 25 and it started about 7 months ago but i get numdness with mine as well..my arms, mouth and sometimes legs...its scary... i always think im going to pass out or worst...been to the doctor and nothing..the last time i was there they found that i was consuming something i was allergic to...but if that what was causing this feelings i would b alllergic to everything...i feel for you i wish there was an answer to what were going through.   I know this wasnt an answer but i just wanted to say that i feel the same way and your not alone.
i know im replying to myself but i forgot to mention a few things..my dizzy head ( my funny feeling head) can last up to like 2 months without going away....and it afects my sleep when i feel like this i cant sleep..in order to sleep i have to have on lights or have the t.v on. im always thristy and starving..sometimes i go like a week or two without these symptons then it starts again badly for a week or two sometimes for longer (months) then it goes again. i think thats it if theres anything else ill re-post..thanks for reading ...and suggestions or anything please email me @ ***@**** you
I have had these symptoms but only before eating maybe its a lack of protein or my body is metabolising everything too fast because I was a little overweight then I started doin things to increase my metabolism. When I was at the weight I wanted about a year later (I wasnt going for drastic weight loss Im 180lbs now with about 25lbs of titanium after a car accident) I started smoking and I fear that it increased my metabolism too much because I was showing signs of hypoglycemia and then I quit and they went away but the feeling of like an instant fatigue and weakness if I dont eat certain things afflicts me for the most basic of tasks like even putting my hair in a ponytail my arms become tired within seconds. what Is wrong?
I am 59 and smoked for 45 years never tried to quit.In Jan. I decided to quit. I went through hell for 14 weeks. Light headed spacey feeling for hours at a time. I had to sleep to make it quit. After 14 weeks I noticed an improvement but now the cravings were starting. After all said it has been 5 months and I am now starting to enjoy the benefits from quitting. I will never start again as I don't want to go through that hell again. Lets hope I have Quit in time and get to enjoy a long healthy life.
I have been lightheaded since Nov/2012, especially after eating. twice to the ER.   CT scan, heart, stomach all ok. "there is nothing wrong with you Joe" all the Dr's would say ;-(   New Doctor says Gluten is the cause.  Will get back to you on this in a few weeks.  If anyone here has discovered a cure, please call me at 916-712-2002.  You would be my BFF!   All the best,  Joe
Check for Hypochlorhydria!  That was my problem.
As someone who's going through this and seems to have found a shaky handle on the situation, i thought i'd chime in with what i've found out and seems to be working for me:

My problems seem to be a low (as i write this almost zero) tolerance to salicylates, and amines to a lesser extent, and the biggest improvements im having came from changing my diet (which i've spent most of my life being told was very healthy in the first place).

This website http://fedup.com.au/ has been the most comprehensive source of information i've found so far, but i continue looking which is how i found this thread. A good doctor and/or dietician are extremely useful in helping with this, and also extremely hard to find. Bad sources of information (on the net and in doctors) are everywhere, it can be very hard to figure out who's advice is worth listening to.

Keep in mind, i'm only speaking for myself, this may not be the answer to everyone else's conditions/symptoms here. But the more i research this, the more massive and yet unheard of this seems to be, and the better i feel as i fine-tune my diet. Good luck.
Hi Scooter76, I get exactly the same symptoms you described! Have you found what the issue might be?... I've had this for years and no one knows what it is... Please reply :-)
I also suffer very badly with this and almost pass out, I have all the test done at doctors and A&E and all said I am fit and healthy, I do not feel fit and healthy when this happens.
I have discovered that tomato juice stops the dizziness in about 45 min otherwise; it goes on for about 3 hours.
Now whenever I feel it coming on I pop in a pub and buy 2 small bottles of tomato juice, make sure you ask for the bottles this is so you can check the date on them as a few pubs have a slow turnover of the juice so it could be out of date, as I ended up with food poising and went back to the pub and found the juice was 14 months out of date, they swiftly removed all the bottles from the shelf.