Gastroenterology Community
why do i smell like gas

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

why do i smell like gas

This problem is ruining my life. My fart stinks like omg, and when I am not farting, I release gases involuntarily which smells like fart/poop/sewage.

I am a student, male, 18, who realize this problem about half a year ago. I fart many times a day and very often. Worse, I smell like I continously release sewage gas from my anus, even though I do not have any feeling of farting. The smell is really horrible and since I am not able to sense that I'm farting (during the period of involuntary flatus leakage/discharge/emission). Contracting my anal muscles to keep the gas from coming out do not really help, and often makes it worse.

Personally, I find the smell hard to bear with. And if that is the case for me, I am sure it will be worse for others. Those around me even use their fingers to cover their noses, and they often breathe in and exhale deeply and uncomfortably which makes me really guilty that I'm causing them to suffer. Many people cough when they sit with me as well. I do feel apologetic deep in my heart, but I can only pretend as if nothing has happened, although my peers have already identified me as the stink bomb.

I tried every thing to get rid of the smell. i tried beano ( enzymes that prevent gas), i even try put on perfume to cover the smell but it don't work. i know it coming from my butt, because when i sit down i don't smell but when i get up, the smell come out. i shower every day. I have been unable to identify the exact cause of the problem, but having researched on flatulence issues, it could be one of the following:

- Diet (include excessive sulfur-containing food intake, food intolerance, food allergies)
- Bacterial imbalance
- Physically damaged anus which causes gas discharge

Observations:
- The problem is worst when I am outdoors
- My feces stink as well and it changing color from brown to green to light green to brown
-

I worry much more about the foul smell of my flatus than its quantity, since the horrible smell caused much inconvenience and annoyance to others. I really want to get rid of the problem and know the reason why it is occurring. When I'm out, I cannot concentrate on the things I am doing. People are avoiding me, and I am also avoiding them to prevent them from suffering. I don't know what to do and I am emotionally depressed because I think that my problem is worse than a disability, in that it affects others with my malodorous flatuence.

I have read several posts on the site related to my problem and there are a few people who have the same problem as me. I hope that I will soon find a cure for my problem so that I can have a social life again. Best of luck to those with the same problem as me too.
Dairy allergies?  lactose intolerance? Try not eating milk/yoghurt/ice cream/chees for a week and see if that does anything.  
Try eliminating gluten.  It is hard but I have celiac disease and when I do eat gluten (not suppose to).  I have excessive gas, foul foul smelling BM's.  Increase in BM's abd discomfort and bloating.  Worth a try to eliminate different things from your diet and keep a food journal.  It will help you as you try to figure it out.  Good luck.
you may want to consider a yeast infection also.
Can you do a reversal of the Nissan Procedure ?
Please ask your question in its own post.
my friend like you mine has been from 2003, you can imagine what i have been through all those years. Any way just take heart, as for the cure i have research but in vain. Once again be strong
I so sorry you are going through this. I have the same problem. I soon as I find anything that helps, I will let you know. Good Luck!!
first i search a lot for people have the same problem
2.i have this problem over 9  years
3.i find something will help all how suffered
4.i put the answer million time
5.the Treatment not fix you %100 no i think %80 thats mean you can do regular things in live like go to cinema you can travel put a little risky
6.the Treatment is Vagus nerve that only thing work with this problem you must find a doctor how deal well with Vagus nerve
7.if you have any question let me know
read
read
Avatar n tn
I also have suffered this problem for many years and until I found this sight I though t I was the only one.
I have tried absolutely everything, to no avail.
If any one finds an answer I would be grateful to hear of it.

Hopefully01
Sooo sorry. I more than understand.
I have a similar problem only the odor comes only while sitting. It makes life extremly hard. I have found that no change in diet makes it better.  if anyone hs the same problem please let me know.
OMG actually been looking for ages thought i was the only one, started one night whilst out drinking it smelt soo bad i didnt even know it was me, it happens badly if i go on a night out drinking and i can see it through the night get worse as more people avoid me, now it just seems to happen all the time, im feel its killed my confidence. ive tried a few things including zero alchol but nothing. please if anyone has an answer i have suffered with it since 2007.
Do you excercise, and if so, what type of excercise and how often?
Go see a GI doctor, I have had this same problem for about 2 years now. They will send you to get a breath test like they did me to see if I have a bacteria overgrowth in my body and it came back positive the test costs about $400 after that they will prescribe you a prescription which costs about $900 that will get rid of it in 10 days. Goodluck, if it works out for you spread the word around no one likes living like this it's a depressing way to live
Hi guys, potentially you have trimethylaminuria. I've managed to reduce the effects by taking activated charcoal and particularly avoiding eggs, beer, fish and soya. Look it up on the internet, there is a growing understanding of it, particularly in the UK, us and Japan.
Hi, I have the same problem, After searching for the causes I found out that for some people it has something to do with weak sphincter. and doing kegel exercises can help strengthen the muscle
Hi. I have the same problem. It is really ruining my social life and threatening my career. After searching for the causes of this problem i found out that for some people the reason is having weak sphincters ( the muscles responsible for closing the anus) and the solution to the problem was kegel exercises. these exercises must be done regularly five times a day for 15 weeks to see results they have a lot of benefits other than solving this problem. They are worth googling
i have the same problem too I wish I could get some help because the smell is getting worse everyday
I am only 12 years old and i have the same problem and i have no idea what to do with it. Its completely embaraessing! It started around a year and a half ago and i hurts sometimes but i feel bad for everyone around me in school. Nobody knows about it but me. My "family" doesn't take anything i have to say seriously and laugh in my face if i do. I'm afraid they would laugh at me if told them. I have no idea what to do!
My situation exactly. Please respond if you are still here.
Sorry that you can't talk to them about it. I didn't tell my family either. They just picked up on it of course because of the smell. And guess what......my family doesn't care = )  I am much older than you but the feeling is still the same. You are not alone and real friends will talk with you about and make you feel more confident. It's hard to do but don't get depressed and don't isolate yourself.
if you found cure let me know
i search a lot all you will see more people suffer from this