Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Looking to see a genetic counselor in California

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Hi Joanna,

You answered a question I had a while back about my baby who was still born. He had a diaphragmatic hernia with no other abnormalities seen on ultrasound. Well after he was born they said there must have been other abnormalities. Anyway we want to try again in a year and both agree we want to see a counselor and possibly get tested. We can't handle going through that again (even though we understand we may not have any choice in the matter). We live out in the pacific and will be heading to california on about six or seven months for vacation can you suggest a place for us to go? What should we test? What is the average price range? Neither of us have family histories of any type of genetic problems so this is confusing to me.

John
Given the previous history, we do recommend that you meet with a genetic counselor; however, I don't know exactly where in California you will be arriving. A genetic counselor will review the history and provide a more accurate recurrence risk assessment for diaphragmatic hernia in your family. The genetic counselor would also be able to discuss the benefits and limitations of any appropriate tests before and during your next pregnancy. You can find a genetic counselor at the National Society of Genetic Counseling website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA. You can also find information about diaphragmatic hernia at AccessDNA. A genetic counseling session ranges in fee from $150-$250. We wish you the best.
sorry jordanna not joanna
Also we both underwent labs and all are normal regarding basic health or things that would have caused problems during pregnancy. My testosterone is a little low though.