Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
delayed puberty

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

delayed puberty

I'm 18 years old. I will be 19 in 6 months. I have never gotten my period. I have no signs of breast development. My parents got puberty around 16. I went to a gyno to get examined to see if anythings wrong but she said everything was fine and to get a blood test. I hate needles though. Why have I never gotten my period? I'm a normal weight. It really bugs me because my parents don't really seem to have any concern or anything. They keep saying i'm a late bloomer. Is it possible to never get a period? I sometimes feel so out of place because i have never hitten puberty. Do you have any suggestions as to the steps I should take to figure out whats wrong with me.
It is very difficult to feel different, and it is sometimes possible to find treatment once the cause of the delay is determined.  There are many different explanations for delayed puberty and several different tests to determine the cause.  It may help you to meet with a pediatric endocrinologist.  A pediatric endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of children and adolescents with conditions of the endocrine system including delayed puberty.  
hey,
you may possibly be a late bloomer,
but are you under constant stress or exercise all the time?
women who are under stress and or very athletic may hit puberty at a later age,
simply due to the hormonal changes of exercise and or stress.

what is your body weight and height?
if you are very thin, you may also experience a late puberty.

With this all being said, do a blood test, it doesnt even hurt.
I have my blood tests done every 6 months.
You need to check if you have a hormonal abnormality
Being 19 and having no breast development or period may indicate
hormonal abnormality.

thanks! i will get a blood test soon everyone tells me it doesn't hurt so that makes me feel better. well i use to be a gymnast for a while but i quit that when i was 13. then i did cheerleading for a year. and the doctors told me because i was so thin that i needed to put weight on to get it(that was when i was 14). but now i'm a normal weight like 115 i think. and i'm 5'3. hopefully the blood test will give me some good results about whats causing this and stuff