HIV Prevention Community
2 years and still worried

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

2 years and still worried

Hi All,

About 2 years ago I had protected vaginal sex with a Thai CSW. Exactly 4 weeks later I developed appendicitis and had it removed via laparoscopic surgery, the surgeon said it was "messy in there". I have had no other symptoms suggestive of HIV.

My concern is the appendicitis was due to lymphoid hyperplasia (swollen lymph tissue) caused from a viral infection (HIV) given it occurred so soon after exposure.

It seems a bit out there to consider them related however I do see it as a possibility, but was unable to find any studies to confirm.

Your help is greatly appreciated
You had no risk from protected sex
Thanks for your reply Vance.

I just have two additional questions and would value your opinion.

1) The protection was worn only during the vaginal penetration and oral sex, could it be possible to contract the virus through unprotected mutual masterbation (masturbation), etc. basically anything apart from oral or penetrative.

2) Suppose someone did contract HIV, what do you think of the theory that it could cause appendicitis by lymphoid hyperplasia during ars, I cannot find any studies however would be interested in your opinion.

Thank you
HIV is transmitted by:
Unprotected penetrative anal or vaginal sex.
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child.
There is no need to add further questions,your original question was answered and you were told you had no risk,
Understood it was a no risk event, thank you.

Would this be the place to discuss the hypothetical situation of appendicitis caused by lymphoid hyperplasia during ars or should I locate a different forum?

I appreciate you are all very busy and as such understand if you do not have time to discuss issues such as these. Just more of an interest rather than a concern
You could ask an ID doctor that question.