HIV Prevention Community
3rd generation test / 4 weeks conclusive?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I just received word from my doctor that he actually ordered a 3rd generation test, and not a 4th generation.
So now my anxiety is back.

How conclusive is a result 4-5 weeks post-exposure (low-risk) on a 3rd generation HIV test? I can't get a 4th generation because it's not anonymous here in China (which makes almost no sense).

I understand that oral sex is zero risk, yet I want to be 100% sure, that's why I do the testing.
Any test that you take will be conclusive, because you never had a risk.
I understand that posting no-risk questions is annoying for most of you, yet my situation is pretty simple: If I get HIV I loose my job, my apartment and my friends I made in this country here (and I can never come back) - thats China buddy.

That is the only reason I want to be 100% sure, and that's why I ask. I could rephrase the question and ask "how conclusive is a 3rd generation blood test after unprotected vaginal" for instance (under a new account) - I didn't.

so tell me this...how are you going to feel...when you had NO risk...and you go and test and throw out a false positive?  during the time that you have to do follow up tests...ALL FOR NOTHING...how are you going to deal with that?  will you feel better?  relieved that you tested for a NO RISK situation?

NO TESTS ARE CONCLUSIVE UNTIL 3 MONTHS POST EXPOSURE.
You don't have an HIV concern from oral sex so there are no "if I get HIV" scenarios that are realistic for you.
This week i´ve talked to a nurse that does hiv 1&2 quick tests at a health center. She says that this quick blood test is 99.75% correct after 5 weeks exposure.
She showed me a paper of the test and there it says that it is 99.75% correct after 5 weeks and she told me that she never seen anyone there changing is status after this 5 weeks test.

stay safe and use condoms in sex
There are no such numbers.