HIV Prevention Community
Accidental needle stick -- H.I.V scare

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Accidental needle stick -- H.I.V scare

I guess to start off it's best to paint a picture, I'm 6"6, fairly overweight but pretty healthy (no chronic illness, etc). No previous health problems. I don't take recreational drugs, I don't smoke but I do drink every couple of months socialy.

I work in a recycling plant which manages all the waste from the local areas, because of the nature of the work the bags the recycable (and sometimes non-recycable) items come through aren't checked and we're the first people to get our hands on them.

All sorts of things tend to come through from needles, food waste to dead animals.

This particular night a week ago I put my hand over a rubber kids swimming pool and something breached my gloves (thick leather gloves) and punctures my skin. I quickly had a look around the area but didn't think about pulling the emergency cord to make completly sure I couldn't see a needle.

I took off my glove and it had all the charataristics of a needle stick, a small prick which bleed. I encouraged the wound to bleed before I quickly went to the toilets to wash my hands. I washed them in anti-bacterial soap for about five minutes and finished it off by rubbing anti-bacterial foam into my hands before going back to work.

I could only go over the hospital later on the Saturday night (about ten hours after the needle stick had accured). I explained what happened, to which they took blood tests, gave me an Hep-b Vaccine and a tetanus vaccine and sent me onmy way and gave me a futher dates to get my next shot of Hep-B and said my bloods should come back in a couple of months.

About three to four days ago I developed diarehea, bad head aches (at the front of my head). I wake up in a cold sweat and I'm severly fatigued.

I'm not sure how useful this next bit of information will be but it may be important.

I have really bad toothache which I've been taking paracetamol for about two-three weeks and lately have stopped taking them point blank.

I work all sorts of shifts all the time. Eg, I could work mornings one day (6am to 2pm) then go into nights (10pm to 6am) and into afternoons (2pm til 10pm).

Could this be H.I.V? If so how long do I have to wait until I'm able to get reliable results?

Could it be my constantly changing sleep patterns really be damaging my health?

Could my severe toothache and withdrawal symtpomes of paracetamol really be affecting me that bad?

Please, I prefer brutal honestly. Thank you for reading!

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, they didn't add in while posting from my phone.
Short answer is NO.
Thank you Teak, can I ask for a bit more of your time and ask what do you think in your opinion what the problem could be?

Sorry for being such a pain in the ***!
I have been exposed to blood and seamen from male HIV . Anyone know anything about the one Month cocktail as prevention?