HIV Prevention Community
Can I contract HIV with intact condom as I take it off? (Girl was on he...

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Can I contract HIV with intact condom as I take it off? (Girl was on her period)

Hi, a little less than 2 months ago I had sex with an ex girlfriend without a condom. I'm pretty sure she's fine and that a test would be likely conclusive. But last week I had sex with ANOTHER ex who does engage in a riskier sex lifestyle, but in this occasion I did use a condom (3 condoms, we spend the night and had sex 3 times). I'm very worried about this last encounter, even though it was protected, because she was on her period, and that kind of freaked me out later. I never, during that encounter, penetrated her without a condom, but I had people telling me that when I took the condom off I might have contracted HIV (if she has it). I'm freaking out a little, should I be worried?? Thanks in advance for any answers.
Nope, HIV occurs inside not out, HIV transmits through unprotected anal/ vaginal sex and the sharing of needles, you engaged in protected sex so no risk here!
Thanks, Sandra!

I just got a quick HIV 1 & 2 test at my university clinic and it was negative. The doctor was kind of mad for me worrying more about this protected encounter than the one I had before (the one that I didn't use a condom). He said I should get tested again just in case in a couple of months, but since the condoms didn't really break (I checked) I don't think it would be necessary.
Your doctor was right, you are worrying about the wrong encounter.  The 1st one placed you at risk, not the second.  Test at 3 months after the unprotected encounter for a conclusive result.  Always insist on condoms.
Now I have someone saying that the condom might have wholes in it... I told this person that when a condom breaks its pretty obvious (at least the 2 or 3 times it happened with me and heard from other friends). Jeez. No, the condom did not break. None of them did. I rolled them down even more after just to check. Nothing. Just some menstrual blood on the condom outside as expected since I knew she was on her period. Crap, I'm worrying too much about this... :/
Condoms don't get little holes.
I just talked to the 2nd girl and she said she was already on schedule this Monday to get tested for STIs including HIV. Good. Bad news is she said that she probably won't tell me the results. It goes to show I should choose a little better who I sleep with. Still freaking out a little, even though I wore condoms :\
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers