HIV Prevention Community
Chances of HIV during Proctoscopy

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Chances of HIV during Proctoscopy

Dear Sir,

I was advised Proctoscopy as i Had some issues related to Anal.. i was deteed with Grade-2 Hummoroids..
It was Semigovernment Hospital and i Think they were using same proctoscope for each patient...

As the proctoscope is dirtectly inserted into Anus, does it carry any risk of HIV infection assuming earlier patient was HIV positive.. The patient before me was old Lady and checked 10 miinutes before me.. While testing i am sure that the protoscope was covered with some lubrication..

I am worried much as Helth care conditions seened to be poor..

Pl. reply urgenly as i am dying out with Anxiety...

Regards,

Sanbhar
Dear Sir,

Can you pl. reply urgently so as to put an end to my fears...
P. reply....
Dear Sir,

I am closing my thread as nobody is replying... Sorry for inconvinence....

Regards,
hiv is not transmitted through environmental surfaces or inanimate objects.  once exposed to air, it becomes inactive and unable to infect.
Thanks very much for reply . You mean to say , assuming earlier patient was Hiv positive and the probe had some virus on it ,,, the virus will be killed immediately as it was exposed to Air...  As i had said, some lubrication was put on Probe... will it kill the virus.?....  At the end of story , i need not to worry about the incident...

Regards,
for starters...it is HIGHLY unlikely that an unsanitary probe was used.

you had NO risk and have nothing to worry about.  testing is NOT needed
This is irrational thinking.  The equipment would have been properly cleaned.  If you have questions, then call the hospital and ask them.
hello
I worked in G.I.Endoscopy for 10 yrs and the anal scopes are one time use only (disposable) and is lubricated b4 insertion. The colonoscope is then entered into the proctoscope for a large lighted view on the monitor screen. You cannot get HIV from proctoscopes and scope sterilization is a very intense, regulated procedure. I am certified in all aspects of scope sterilization. We are by law required to keep records of each patient and the scope that was used on that patient. The chemicals are ph tested every morning. You have nothing to worry about:)))

Stephanie