HIV Prevention Community
Chances of HIV transmission per act

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Chances of HIV transmission per act

I found a chart on wikipedia, which is not always the best source of information, that shows the chance of hiv transmission per risky act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV#Transmission
For everyone's benefit and out of my own curiosity, I would like to ask what experts (Dr. Hook or Dr. Handsfield) on this forum think of this chart and how accurate it is.
instead of reading wikipedia...let me tell you how hiv is REALLY transmitted.

unprotected vaginal / anal intercourse
sharing iv drug works
mother to child
If you are asking for opinions, here is mine: the chart doesn't mean squat to anyone who had a risk because a risk is a risk... no matter how small the risk, it is still a risk. You can be told that your exposure was about a 1 in 2,000 chance... but would you just accept that and be like "Ok, no way I got it- I'm good to go" and then never be tested? No, because as small as the risk is- it's still there. What if you happened to be that 1 in 2,000? Someone has to be the 1. Granted, it is always good news to hear something like you have a 1 in 5,000 chance rather than 1 in 10 chance... but a risk is a risk and I think quantifying risk levels into a chart is a waste of time and effort.
Well, I should thank the two experts who knew so much that they didn't need to look at the chart. I'm sure your answers will help all the anxious people on this forum immensely.

And avonelle, I'm sure you don't drive to work every morning, right? Because, if I'm not mistaken, isn't there is a risk that you will die in a car accident?