HIV Prevention Community
Chances of hiv infection after unprotected sex

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Viewing 201-218 comments:
You don't have an HIV concern, you've never had an exposure.
i wanna no if u have a SORE THROAT for going on 2 days  (it really doesnt really feel too bad) and no cough,fever,feel norma!!! i noticed one day swallowing a rice crispy treat it felt funny but i cldve had it longer but smebdy did comment my bowel smelled bad but not really diarreah (diarrhea)...got  tested september 8th 2011said negative gt my results a wk later wnted to no could it be early hiv
If you had a negative test 3 months after exposure you dont have HIV.

I wanted to have sexual intercourse(which I feel very bad now) and I got the contact of a girl who claims that she is not a prostitute.But I feel she is a prostitute.Later I started having sex with that girl.I had unprotected oral.I rolled my mouth over her labia.No licking and all and then I did fingering to her.I donot have any cuts in my mouth.Then she compelled me to have one vaginal intercourse.It was protected and I pulled out of her vagina in less than 30 secs.What are the chances me contracting any disease.I donot know about her status.
Prostitute gave me a condom.The condom was in good condition.It didnt break when we were doing sexual intercourse for that whole 30 secs
Hello everyone

I am a gay man, 32 years old. I came out one year ago, and since then i had some form of sex with 17 men... I just wanted to explore my sexuality, but now i am worried i may have got HIV.

I had kissing/oral sex with most of these guys, and with 7 of them I had full sex, 3 times i was bottom or versatile. When I was bottom i always used condoms. When I was top, twice happened that the guy wanted rough sex and my **** slipped in their anus for a few seconds before i came out and told them i wanted a condom.

Of the guys i did not have full sex with, a couple of times i had their **** rubbing on the outside of my anus. My anus can bleed very easily. Some time i also did rimming on them.

Now, i have either an oral thrush or a herpes, and flu like symptoms. These symptoms started all of a sudden while i was having sex with the last guy, we did lots of kissing and oral. I was tested for STDs 1 month ago, but all of the full sex acts happened less than 3 months before the test.

When should i get tested again? I am very scared honestly, i and i have to work a lot in this period so this does not help me. I will stop sex and kissing for 3 months to make sure the next text is conclusive.
The only risk you had was unprotected anal sex. You can obtain your conclusive set results 3 months post your last unprotected anal sex.
Thanks Teak

The unprotected anal sex lasted for like 5 seconds or less, the time of realizing i slipped in and then I pulled out. Is this still a risky behavior? The 2 guys said they are HIV negative and were tested, but i don't know if i should trust them.

Still a friend told me there are small chances of catching HIV from kissing, oral and rimming... I feel like i should stop having sex alltogether, it's just not worthy the risk...
It's still worth getting checked out, Your friend does not know what he's talking about.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or virginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child
Ok thanks. But what if the mouth/anus/penis have tears and bleed? If the transmission is blood to blood, there is still risk. My gums often bleed, as well as my anus because of very thin skin...
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
Wow thanks that is very comprehensive. Still, i cannot understand how 5 seconds of unprotected anal sex may be more risky than lots of oral sex and rimming. If i understand, HIV is spread through blood to blood contact, and if there are lesions this can happen with oral sex and rimming very easily. I would say more easily than vaginal sex for example. It seems so confusing to me...

Another option could be of broken condoms, but so far i never witnessed that unless i did not notice...
Saliva contains over a dozen different enzymes and proteins that inhibit HIV transmission.
Ok that makes sense, thanks
OMG

i checked online, and one of the 2 hguys i had that short unprotected sex with, is HIV+. He told me he is HIV-, but he is +, he has many accounts where he says that he is +.

I don't know what to do, I will go tomorrow to a clinic where they test for HIV right away they say, is that true?
Move along you never had a risk.
I Have an oral thrush, and i came on the guy anus... i trusted my penis on the guy anus while he was spreading it. We did oral and rimming. The guy then did top on me and came on my back.

I am pretty sure I have it, i never had an oral thrush in my life, i have flu symptoms...
I am terrified
please someone help me... how possible is for me to have got HIV having sex with an HIV person? I am going to be tested tomorrow, which steps should I take?
wow this things have been going on since JANUARY......

you had a new exposure or what?
I am going to get tested today... I contacted the person I had sex with, he confirmed he is HIV+, he said he is "undetectable" but i do not believe him.

The test I will do they say will give results immediately, I am not sure what test is...

I am so confused, I still cannot believe I put myself in this condition, I feel so empty... please pray for me.
is it consider that putting your *** in one's **** even in less than 7secs unsafe? i never had a bareback exp. and i got a bf. i only having sex for fouor weeks now. but he's not faithful and ******* every guy he likes in the social network for gays. im having some of the symptom of hiv. everytime i look at the mirror, i noticed that the back of tongue is coated with white. its not painful nor itchy. i had sore throat too for almost two weeks now. but when i look in some people i know. our tongue  kinda looks the same. and they said my tongue looks ok. one of them even said that maybe im thinking and worrying too much of what my status gonnaa be, that's why symptom is coming up.
hello

I got tested today with antibody test and I am negative, thanks all for the replies.

I will have to go again in January, but i feel much better now. I still have this thrush, flu symptoms and mildly swollen lymph nodes, so I am not totally clear.
I had sex with the HIV positive person on October 27th, I got tested on October 29th and today November 30th. It's about 4 weeks after exposure. I hope the negative result can already be an indication.
Do an HIV DUO(HIV 1/2 antibody and antigen) also know as 'fourth generation ELISA' now and on 6 weeks
You were just kicked off one website don't come here and give incorrect information.
i had unprotected anal sex with a guy for a few minutes.

i don't know the guy's HIV status. he told me he was clean, but i have no way of knowing this for sure.

i was the top.

i didn't ejaculate, and i didn't see any blood.

i know i need to get tested, but only in 3 months.

but what are the risks? am i likely to have contracted HIV
Start your own thread.
I am in Canada, they don't do those, they do antibody tests. My test was INSTI 34 days after the exposure (5 weeks). I will have to go again after 90 days (end of January). I may go again in 2 weeks just to be sure, I read the Insti test is similar to 3rd generation ELISA +8 days in the average window period, which makes it able to detect antibody about 98% of the time after 30 days.

I still think about the event everytime... i still ask myself how an HIV positive person, even he said he is undetectable (which I doubt, but he seemed healthy and stocky), would ask someone who is HIV - to have unprotected sex several times during the act, it's so deceitful. Especially because and HIV+ person who is treated and has protected sex, is less risky than someone who does not know his status and tries unprotected sex. HIV+ persons should ALWAYS stick to protected sex, everything else is a crime.

Overall the two things that still worry me are the few seconds my penis slipped in his anus without a condom before me pulling out, and his semen falling on my back. I know the skin is a powerful barrier, so is the few seconds of unprotected sex that worry me.
I always wonder why anyone would put themselves at risk of contracting HIV in 2011, doesn't make any sense now does it?
I did not know he was HIV+, and I did use a condom after those few seconds.

I assumed if someone knows to be HIV+, he should tell it and not try to have sex without a condom.
On please don't try to do the blame game. It's your health and your responsiblity. Had you used a condom, you would not have been at risk.
Yes I was careless, that is for sure. You realized I was at risk then... I hope the next result will be negative as well, I am still scared.
Please Teak tell me, what are my chances of resulting positive after testing negative to INSTI after 5 weeks? I am still scared, it's hard to manage.
Hello again

i keep having some symptoms... swollen lymph nodes, temperature around 36, oral rush...

I read the antobodies start to get produced about 1-2 weeks after the ARS... Is it possible that my test at 5 weeks wasn't able to detect them?

please help...
3 months post exposure is when you can obtain your conclusive negative test result..
Ok thanks... how big do you think my exposure was? I am so scared
Please i need an answer... I was reading that during ARS, antibody tests are usually negative but viral load tests are positive. I was tested at 5 weeks during symptoms, negative to antobody, but no viral load test. Does this make the negative test less valuable?

It's so confusing
Hey I respect your opinion very much teak.but u kinda sound like a broken record.I mean all u ever say is 3months is conclusive.people need advice not just guide lines.you can call the CDC if you just want a cold robot sorry just saying
I don't respect yours so move along.
I recently met a woman I was dating about 2 weeks ago.  We were getting ready to be intimately involved last night and while we were kissing I had an erection and my penis went inside her vagina while I was on top kissing for about 3-4 seconds and I pushed her away.  Am I in danger for hiv
i had sex unprotected sex couple of days ago and i dont have anything or any symptons but my balls feel weird/funny sometimes do i need to go to the cinic or not? the girl was clean and it was my first time. my balls feels/looks dry all the times and im worried that somethings wwrong. please give  me some info

NOW START RESEARCHING  "CYBERCHONDRIAC"

once youve done that read this

http://articles.cnn.com/2007-12-20/health/ep.cyberchondriacs_1_first-year-medical-students-skin-cancer-internet?_s=PM:HEALTH

One other thing is there is far to much pressure put on the gay world. its not fair how everyone else can relax (white males) but black people (100x gay people) if you dont believe me read our stuff when you read your own.. are told were so high risk we might aswell admit ourselfs now. Look gay people dont let it get you down we are statisticly more at risk but think about this....

if you asked your mum and dad if they had ever had a hiv test what do you think they would say?, furthermore as an escort 90 percent of my clients have wifes, most gay people have at least tried it with a girl (i had a 2 year bb relationship with a girl), less than 40% of young gay people really admit there gay (im being generous) 20% of bi people claim there gay, but then how many percent of bi people admit ther gay? ive slept with enough straight people in my life who are completley straight .....if you get were im going with this let me further ellaborate...

we live in a multi cultural world now. look at england!!! i for one always fall for black men. believe it or not mix us all together and were all gona ***** hence why you can no longer say black people are more at risk cuz were just not seregated like we were 100s of years ago. ok so then think about a female (becky) (white) is married to jeffery (black) who is an in the closet gay and pays men for sex on a regular basis. (whos more at risk?)
Hello everyone.

I had protected sex recently with a hooker but was not able to control myself and had oral sex with her (not sure if lasted a minute or more but not more than 2 minutes). During the session I'm not sure if I had sores/cuts in my mouth but previously before the incident one my tooth sometimes gets bleed especially if I used toothpick to clean it. Few hours later I checked my mouth and found a reddish spot below my tongue though I can't see any cut in there.

Thing is I don't know if this girl is clean but I heard that they regularly go for medical check-up every 6 months. The good side is the girl refused to be kissed and strict to follow using condom which lessens my worry that perhaps she's clean.

Now I'm anxious if I contracted any STD or not but wanna know the chances of getting through that brief incident.

Would appreciate any advice from anyone on this matter.
Thanks and more power.
Your STD questions have to be posted in the STD Forum.
Viewing 201-218 comments:
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers