HIV Prevention Community
Do I have HIV?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Do I have HIV?

About one month ago took the INSTI HIV test. The doctor said that the test was negative and I was relieved. But now I have two problems. First, the doctor said that only told me my HIV status as of 12 weeks prior. When I took the test I thought that I hadn't had any risky sexual contact for 12 weeks, but when I did some research (going through old texts) I found that it could have been anywhere from 9 to 12 weeks. I am a little concerned that this could have caused invalid results. The contact was only oral with no ejaculation in the mouth and the guys said they were all HIV negative.

My other concern is that today I did some research about the INSTI test and I found that 1 dot = HIV negative and 2 dots = HIV positive. Part of me seems to remember there being two dots on the test, but I am nowhere near 100% sure about that. I never wrote down or tried to memorize how many dots there were and this was about 5 weeks ago. Could the doctor have made a mistake reading the test? What do you think my risk of having HIV is?
You never had a risk.  The only sexual activity that could place you at risk is unprotected vaginal or anal sex, nothing else.  The only other way you could get HIV is by sharing IV drug works.

If you had a risk, a test at 3 months post exposure will be fully conclusive.  You didn't have a risk...time to put this behind you.
One more thing,

It should be noted that I have been having migrane (migraine) headaches and some fatigue. Both of these are symptoms of HIV, but I've been feeling these symptoms long before I had any sexual contact.
Most experts will say that there is no to VERY low risk of HIV from oral sex. There is a THEORETICAL risk if you performed oral. However, oral sex is generally accepted as safe sex, Essentially no HIV risk,and very small for other STD's. I am not familiar with the INSTI test. At this time you could be tested with a normal anitbody test and receive reliable results. I would not worry, and in fact, most doctors would probably not even recommend testing for the exposure you describe. I hope this helps. AiA

: EarthDweller, never had an exposure and doesn't require testing for HIV.