HIV Prevention Community
HAART

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

HAART

When indiviudals are taking a regimen of HAART, what is the average number of pills one would be taking on a daily basis. I know it depends on the "Cocktail" itself, but how good have these drug evolved over the years and in order to limit the amount taken as well as dosage (mg)?
That depends on there regimen. Some take as high as thirty, some just take one, some take five. Some take pills and injections. It just depends. Considering back in 85 there was one drug, AZT. Which when first manufactured killed for than it helped. Then you had DDI. Then in the mid nineties we started getting several retroviral drugs. All the combo drugs are as good as taking the medication as individual pills. I take one pill for HIV and one antibiotic.
Avatar n tn
thank you for your reply.  I was watching a documentary about 6 months ago and it showed this indiviudal and he was taking 23 pills a day. I did not know if that was a standard or not.
You answered my question.

thanks